• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

MBTI Quirks

Mr Write

Professional Waffler
Local time
Today 6:15 AM
-->
Here we share the little quirks we notice in various personality types, that might not be obviously derived from theory alone, and discuss/fine-tune our observations with each other.

Mr Write

Professional Waffler
Local time
-->
I've noticed that when ISFP's are focusing on something - even as simple as reading a menu - they tend to completely block out the rest of the world. The focus seems to generally be on something visual.

How it goes, is that they'll be looking at something, usually with a look of concentration on their face; you'll say something to them, they'll keep focusing at the thing for 5-10 seconds longer (it always seems to be higher priority than whatever you said), then they'll turn around and say "what?" They didn't hear a single word.

I'm not sure what functions are behind this, exactly. It also may be more general than just specifically to ISFP's; I'm not sure. Maybe INFP's have something similar?

Ink

Local time
Today 2:15 PM
-->
The thing you described is very much apparent in my ISTP mother as well, so I think it's an IP thing. Or maybe just the Se...

edit: or just an introvert thing

Beholder

What for?
Local time
Today 3:15 PM
-->
I've noticed it in ESTPs as well. Maybe an Se thing?

ENTPs are often bad with grammar, and have a tendency to assign their own meaning to specific words and using them without realizing that to everyone else these words don't have the same meaning.
ISFPs never find NP humor funny (generally, the random, absurd kind), they may understand it, and why it's funny, but it's never funny to them.
NTJs all have this same sort of smile with the eyebrows they use.
Fi users (including Te, but to a less extreme degree) raise their eyebrows like this / \ when laughing (the middle rises up forming a sort of upside down v shape, or upside down funnel).
Fe users will always look you in the eye when laughing.
INFP females LOVE flowers, and are feminists.
ENTPs have no soul.
ISFPs can make something beautiful out of anything.
ISTPs always have this (at least) one phrase they use in a specific way when they encounter something they don't understand ("this is wieeerd!" "how did that happen?" "whaaaat?" etc).

I'll probably think of more as soon as I post this...

Obsidian

INTP
Local time
Today 8:15 AM
-->
I don't see why an ISFP would block out any sensations. I wonder if you mistyped that person.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

ENTPs are often bad with grammar, and have a tendency to assign their own meaning to specific words and using them without realizing that to everyone else these words don't have the same meaning.
ISFPs never find NP humor funny (generally, the random, absurd kind), they may understand it, and why it's funny, but it's never funny to them.
Fi users (including Te, but to a less extreme degree) raise their eyebrows like this / \ when laughing (the middle rises up forming a sort of upside down v shape, or upside down funnel).
ENTPs have no soul.
ISTPs always have this (at least) one phrase they use in a specific way when they encounter something they don't understand ("this is wieeerd!" "how did that happen?" "whaaaat?" etc).

funny read! :D

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
Today 7:15 AM
-->
I've noticed that when ISFP's are focusing on something - even as simple as reading a menu - they tend to completely block out the rest of the world. The focus seems to generally be on something visual.

I think it's an Se thing. Se is about immersing in the present context.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today 1:15 PM
-->

ENTPs have no soul.

Please think of more even sooner <3

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The MBTI and its own categorization has helped be psychoanalyze better than ever, I was great at it before, but now there is an even deeper understanding to why and how

Obsidian

INTP
Local time
-->
Paladin-X said:

But the present context includes your voice. If an ISFP is tuning out your voice, it probably is not an ISFP.

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
-->
But the present context includes your voice. If an ISFP is tuning out your voice, it probably is not an ISFP.

You are assuming a big picture context. :P

The present context is whatever my attention is focussed on.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
-->

ENTPs have no soul.

Wow, you really delivered a broadside with that remark about ENTPs' souls.

Although what you said about ENTPs' grammar associations and the ISTPs phrase are eerily accurate, from my experience. I generally do that same thing with words where I have very specific meanings which don't necessarily line up with the accepted meaning. Also my ISTP friend does that same exact thing ("Whaaat?" and "That's weird." are actually his two most common).

Obsidian

INTP
Local time
-->
@Paladin-X, the present context is the present context. This is objective perception we are talking about. What you are describing -- where the present context depends wholly on what you choose to focus on -- sounds more like introverted, subjective sensing.

An ISFP may indeed have some moments in life where the person gets caught up and overlooks an external detail. But those moments do not exemplify extraverted sensing. There is no reason to think an ISFP would have more of those moments than other types.

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
-->
@Paladin-X, the present context is the present context. This is objective perception we are talking about. What you are describing -- where the present context depends wholly on what you choose to focus on -- sounds more like introverted, subjective sensing.

An ISFP may indeed have some moments in life where the person gets caught up and overlooks an external detail. But those moments do not exemplify extraverted sensing. There is no reason to think an ISFP would have more of those moments than other types.

I disagree. You are also making an assumption that my attention was focussed on something of my choosing. Myers described Se as "attention riveted by the strongest stimulus," which I would agree with how my perception works. Things catch my attention and oft times to the exclusion of all else, unless an equally strong or stronger stimulus competes with my attention.

Furthermore, objective perception does not mean that you're attention is focussed on all objects. It could just be one thing. :P For example when someone is talking to me and an airplane flies overhead. I immediately look upwards trying to find the source of the sound, the things that the other person are saying are secondary and I barely pay attention to them, if at all.

I am not arguing what an ISFP does or doesn't do, so I'm not sure why you keep going on and on about it. :P I was thinking that what @Mr Write was saying about ISFPs could perhaps be an Se thing because I know xSTPs do what he described. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he accurately typed these people, because I don't really know any ISFPs for comparison.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->

You are wrong @obsisian

What Mr. Write said about ISFP is correct.

The reasoning is that the auxiliary Se introvert only allows sensory information into the consciousness after it is subject to F judgement...

Void

oblivious
Local time
-->

An ESFP friend I have does the same. She's reading something, and I ask her a question, and about 5 seconds later, she's like 'wait what did you say?'

Beholder

What for?
Local time
-->
Please think of more even sooner <3

I know four ENTJs who have to be completely naked when taking a shit, and NO others (the fourth one told me today, I plan on investigating further and looking for a possible correlation...).
IxFP males often have a masculinity complex; I think because their dominant function (Fi) is kind of feminine in nature, they have a tendency to try to be macho. INFPs less than ISFPs. ExTJ females have it the other way around (try to be more feminine)
ISTPs never fit the ISTP stereotype.
ENTJs are always in an ego competition with each other (it can be very subtle, but they are consciously aware of it).
ENTPs love drugs (I know some who only drink, some who only smoke, some who do everything, but they all share a disdain for sobriety).
ISFPs love plants, I think it's because they live in the same pace.

As for the ISFP argument, I've noticed it happens when they're concentrating on something (I've noticed it with reading and listening intently to something, usually someone talking, but I've also seen musician ISTPs do the same thing when concentrating on music they're trying to understand).
I've also noticed ENTJs do it, but with them it's not as extreme, like they notice you're talking to them but choose to block you out for the moment while they're concentrating on something else.
So it would be logical to assume that it's a Se/Ni thing. I would hypothesize that it has something to do with them trying to understand something through Ni, (and not being fixated with sensory stimulus, because A: it happens when they're concentrating, and B: the lower Ni is in their functional stack, the more extreme it is) which is said to be a very focused thought process. Whereas Ne/Si users often get distracted by any new stimulus presented (which reminds me of another quirk for the list; When talking to Ne/Si users, their eyes will follow yours - if you look at something off to the side, or fiddle with something, they will look too. Ni/Se users seem oblivious of where your attention is focused, they keep looking at you (except for the occasional xxTJ who never looks you in the eyes, instead always looking at a fixed point somewhere else).)

Beholder

What for?
Local time
-->
ENTJs are always in an ego competition with each other (it can be very subtle, but they are consciously aware of it).

Today I asked a female ENTJ from my workplace if she feels like there's an ego battle between her and a few other ENTJ males also from our workplace, she said yes.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
An ESFP friend I have does the same. She's reading something, and I ask her a question, and about 5 seconds later, she's like 'wait what did you say?'

I do that all the time, if I'm reading or occupied. I know strong Se types who do that too, but they have to be involved in some physical world type activity.

Void

oblivious
Local time
-->
I do that all the time, if I'm reading or occupied. I know strong Se types who do that too, but they have to be involved in some physical world type activity.

well it's not only reading, but that was a recent happening that came to mind, so that's why I used it as an example. Maybe I shouldn't've. But it happens with more things yes, and yes indeed physical.

Obsidian

INTP
Local time
-->
I still don't buy it. Selective sensation is not Se.

Beholder

What for?
Local time
-->
Sure, everyone does something like that, but Se/Ni users have a very specific kind of intense focus which we're talking about. I don't know any INxJs well enough to say, but all the ESxPs, ISxPs, and ENxJs I know do it, with (what seems to me) an obvious correlation between how low their Ni is and how much they block everything else out (for example I know two ESTPs and an ESFP who do it so extremely they won't even realize that you're talking to them. Three ENTJs and two ENFJs I know will sort of acknowledge that they hear you with a quick "one sec" or a mumble but continue what they're focusing on.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
I would agree with the above post for the most part. You're really onto something.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:15 AM
-->

I do this maybe I am ENTP after all.

Beholder

What for?
Local time
-->
ENTPs and INTPs do share all of the same functions.
Something an ENTP friend of mine pointed out to me today is that people tend to use their auxiliary function when meeting new people/trying to make an impression. For example, I try to appear more extroverted and easygoing (Ne/maybe Fe), and he (and other extroverts I noticed) try to appear more introverted. Maybe it's not a function specific thing though, maybe it's just people trying to emphasize sides of themselves they think they're lacking in or something, like, trying to make a first impression that fits how they prefer to be perceived... Any thoughts?

Anyways, the reason I brought that up is it could serve as a rough indicator for intro/extroversion.

EvilBlitz

Local time
Tomorrow 2:15 AM
-->
Beholder your statement about the ENTJs taking shits naked was hilarious. One of my best friends is an ENTJ and at party he got too pissed and went to his bedroom and closed the door.
Later while the party was still going, he emerged from the room fully naked, walked out of the house and took a shit in the middle of the driveway then stumbled back to his bedroom and closed the door. I shall have to interrogate him on this further.

Fe dominant ESFJ and ENFJ have what I call a conformity clamp. Yes they "care about people and want everyone happy", but that can involve forcing everyone to line up and be the same(different to the SJ preserving past and doing it the same because that was the way it is/has been done), esp when they are stressed/a bit angry/you heavily debate them.
Also with ENFJs while they are very creative, I find they are normally creative only within what has already been created/discovered. They seem to be pattern/thought recyclers.(Not saying they cant be original either) Maybe that is what lends them to being good teachers?
They can grasp ideas well with Ni and then they can repetively regurgitate and use that Fe to spread that understanding to everyone.

Top Bottom