• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

MBTI character typing and criminal tendencies

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
Today 11:32 PM
-->
I was wondering...

Given the four types and their relative psychologies and temperaments, which do you think would be the most likely to commit crimes / have criminal tendencies. I would guess that if the MBTI personality test were to be administered in prisons or something, there'd be a lot of SPs and NTs. What do you think? Any role variants in particular? :evil:

Local time
-->
INTJ is the most common among Serial Killers, for sure

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
Considering that MBTI is utterly invalidated by mental illness, I question (and for that matter, resent) this statement.

Yeah, everyone knows us INTPs are the most common serial killers, we just don't get caught =P

Enne

Local time
-->
Well, regarding INTJs, imo, they are in general going to be a group of people prone to misunderstanding/being misunderstood. I mean, from my understanding where the Judging function is concerned, it generally lends itself to someone who has beliefs as to what should and should not be so, or what does and doesn't represent something, etc. Basically, someone who passes the judgement first, then goes back and refines (if necessary) their views later. OK. Now the thing with an INTJ would be, you have someone who has that internalized preformed opinion, coupled with someone with other strong internalized functions.

There's the introversion, which already lends itself to being inward and 'inside one's head', coupled with the intuition, processing and mapping out data in a way that correlates with one's predisposition, opinions, etc. and finally the thinking/logic leaning function which places highest value on that which in the frame of the judging function, makes sense. I think that the reason an INTJ would be most prone to a cold/calculating crime, or just prone to interpersonal misunderstanding in general, is the lack of external based 'checks' that the type has. I mean, with extroversion, you're being 'checked' by your connection with other people, and with sensing your data gathering is based on what's around you, again, external. Finally, with feeling and perceiving you are connecting to others, and halting your belief system until you've gathered as much varying/contradicting/existing data as possible before you make a decision. These are all external. Even with the INTP, you'd get a person who would first wait to check out other options before execution. Again, just my opinion, but I think the lack of externally based checks and balances coupled with the predisposition of forming preemptive opinions would make serial killing a valid claim as an 'INTJ' crime, or just make INTJs more likely to misunderstand/be misunderstood in general.

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 3:32 PM
-->
Are there any famous INTP criminals?

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Tomorrow 12:32 AM
-->
I saw the Unabomber on many INTP lists though it seems more like a terrorist than a normal criminal.

Local time
-->
i suppose xxFx's if tipped over the edge could, but it would be personal. P's would be impulsive, just suddenly taking a gun out and just killing as many as possible. E/I is irrelevant. N types are the Jack the Rippers, Hannibal Lecters etc
but logically speaking INTJs are most common among notable serial killers.

(just my opinion, folks!)

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 3:32 PM
-->
Was Hannibal an INTJ?

Local time
-->
of course, 100%

Kianara

Local time
Tomorrow 2:32 AM
-->
There was a similar thread a while back. Lemme find it... Here: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=1343&highlight=perfect+criminal

Similar points were made there. In general most people on here seem to think INTJs make the best criminals/serial killers.

As an INTJ and as myself, I can most certainly see that possibility in myself. I look at various paths I could take in the future and know that, given the right... circumstances, I could go down that path. It's fairly unlikely at the moment, simply given my current mental state and circumstances, but I know it's still a possibility.

Honestly, any type can commit a crime and, like Latro said, mental illness makes things very difficult to put MBTI types on some criminals. Any type can commit a crime. Some types are simply more likely to be caught than others. :D

Enne

Local time
-->
Eh..I wonder if NFs commit crimes..maybe crimes of passion?

Enne

Local time
-->
Absolutely. There is a dark side to the F, don't worry about that.

I suppose.. when all those emotions get out of hand...and when you are emoting in general anyways...:eek: I see...I see.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The Perseus system recognises that all can have a dark side.

Most trouble I have experienced are from Crazy Horse* and Pony girls (ESFJ), Cat Weasels (ENFP), Spiders (ESFP), Wolfman (the Sheriff ENTJ), Owlers (INTJ), Cats (ISFP) and Bullies (ESTJ). Also Black Panthers (ESTP). Perhaps, aso a Snake (ENTP) but the latter may have just been an outlaw rather than a psychopath.

* e.g. Joey Gallo.

Local time
Tomorrow 6:32 AM
-->
The land where a merlion is the country's official
Let's put it this way- if it were not for my parents moulding the basis of my moral compass as well as my religion, I could be as cold as Hannibal Lecter.

And it would probably be a tad disturbing, but he's my favourite character in all notions of fiction I've ever come across in my life.

I think he's really cool.

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
Today 6:32 PM
-->
It's interesting to me that on the day that I started reading through my Facebook notes, one of which linked back to INTPf and a thread regarding MBTI typing and criminal behaviours, I notice not one but two threads with recent activity regarding criminality.

I'm going to head over and read through the other before getting overly involved on INTPf again, but considering my criminal background, I may jump back into the conversations surrounding criminal behaviour.

EDIT: Never mind. Just noticed that I was looking at "Similar Threads" not recent threads. My apologies for necroing this.

Fled

User
Local time
-->
I think ENFJ's are the most likely to commit crimes.
E = Ready for action.
N = Figure out where problems may come from.
F = Emotional based decisions.
J = Quick decision making.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 4:32 PM
-->
Between my time working in the prison and my time working with teens and adults with criminal backgrounds, I would say SFs are the most likely. Of course, they are also the most common. But you may or may not be surprised to see how many criminals possess a significant lack of emotional control, impulse control, and general self-discipline.

They are also usually concrete thinkers who have a hard time seeing past the "here and now". They are usually the product of their environments, generally finding themselves unable to develop personal values, and rather soak of the values of their peers. This is probably a factor in the high rate of "born-againism" among the criminal populations too. They think that going back to church will fix everything.

As much as we romanticize NT's potential for criminal genius, we are far less likely to commit serious crimes. We generally have more control over ourselves and our actions, and we tend to be forward-looking. Only our relationship issues are likely to make us stoop to the level of recklessness we see in SFs (of the few NTs I ran into at the prison, most were in for affairs with teenagers or hurting/stalking ex-wives).

And no, most serial killers have not been INTJs, or NTs at all. It's just portrayed that way in movies because people want to imagine someone very different from the norm "going evil".

Edit: I should have made a distinction between disregard for the law and criminal behavior. I'd say we are probably the first to disregard or dismiss law, but we are less likely to "go over the line" to do something that will land us in front of a judge.

Fled

User
Local time
-->
They are usually the product of their environments, generally finding themselves unable to develop personal values, and rather soak of the values of their peers. This is probably a factor in the high rate of "born-againism" among the criminal populations too. They think that going back to church will fix everything.
This is exactly the way most criminals here in Peru are.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
it is a well known fact that frustration and pain generates aggression, now INTJs may be frustrated sons of bitches, but so are INFPs who have to constantly deal with the fact that they fail at everything, for INTJs its more like everyone else fails at everything. On top of that no one can know the pain of the emo INFPs. Therefore INFPs are the most likely serial killers and batterers.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Tomorrow 8:32 AM
-->
Yes the only thing INFP's are good at is being serial killers. (that and appearing like INTJ's)

I like Yellow's post.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
typical INFP crimes: graffiti, destroying status symbols like mercedes stars, shop-lifting music/videos/comic-books to support media based escapism, stealing food, low level marihuana dealing or buying, riding bikes without light, riding on the pedestrian lane, speeding a car etc. "offending" this psychopathic officer when arrested. also general minor anarchism like file sharing, unregistered pets, etc.

basically: disrespect for matter and property and disrespect for social status and society.

no good for organised crime, such as capitalism.

we work alone and we are not on the clock. :phear:

chaotic neutral: "might steal your car, might save your life."

personally i reduced my anarchy when coming of age.
being busted is not a tolerable experience for me.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
as i hypothesize that sensors have as much disrespect for progressive possibilities (N) as i have for static matter and substance (S): how would they express it?

there are what appears to be "mean" crimes to me.

i often think of corruption as something that makes developmental growth of society impossible. also bullying can prevent personal growth. If you were to steal from individuals it might really fuck them up.

Top Bottom