• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Mafia Gameplay Discussion

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 3:57 PM
-->

Shapelog

Local time
Today 12:57 AM
-->
Professor Shapelog's 101 Crash Course in Playing Mafia.​
(WIP, WILL FINISH TOMORROW OR TONIGHT. AKA NOT DONE)
Purpose:

The Purpose of this Guide is to give the INTP mafia sub-forum additional info on what exactly should be happening in a game of mafia/werewolf. And, to give new players a Guide to understanding and how to play said game. This Guide will (hopefully) Teach information such as What is mafia?, Town agenda, Town atmosphere, Town scum hunting, Basic Blue role Play, Mafia Agenda, Mafia tactics, Nk ranking, Blue hunting, and what ever I feel like needs to be talked about.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Table of Content:

1. What is Mafia?
  • 1.1 What should I expect in a game of mafia?
  • 1.2 What is the set up of a game of mafia?
  • 1.3 What are all these confusing roles, and what do they do?
  • 1.4 Vocab/slang

1. What is Mafia?

Mafia is a party/forum game that is split in two cycles (night and day) and puts a Predetermined amount (almost always odd) of players in a active game of detective work, deception, and investigation. Each player at the beginning of the game will receive a role. These roles, typically, belong to two alignments, the town (majority of players) and the mafia (A small Minority, who can talk to one another), who are at war with one another. The mafia's goal is to eliminate town (at night), using team work, and misleading town to where their number is = to, or exceeds town's. While Town's goal is to find mafia through interaction and lynch them during the day.
1.1 What Should I expect In a game of Mafia?

Mafia is typically a very active game that will be played over the course of a stated time (usually 48 hours for a day cycles, 24 for night) that can easily reach upwards of over a hundred to 500 hundred posts per cycle. To make a long story short, you should be prepared to spend at least of a Hour or Two Per day to read the thread, and comment on other players posts. You should also expect to be questioned or even interrogated by other members of the game. You also will have to question them as well, and even vote for one to get "lynched" at the end of the cycle.
1.2 What is the set up of a normal game of Mafia?
Most mafia games here will either be /m13 (13 players, 3 mafia 10 town) or /9 (2 mafia, 7 town) and will either have a open set up (as in, it tells you what is going to be in the game) or a sub-open set up, such as a matrix 6 set up. Which uses a matrix to determine what roles will be in the game.
1.3 What are all these confusing roles and what do they do?
There are a lot of roles in the game, and new ones are always being invented. For our sake, we will talk about the most common of roles:

Vanilla town- This is your average town member, they process no special powers, and they win with town.

Cop: A cop is a townie that has the special power to check one person's alignment once per night. They win with town.

Doctor:
A doctor is a townie that can, once per night, heal another player in the game. Typically, they, and the healed, will not know if they were successful in healing (though, you can tell if you save works if no one dies) that night. They win with town.

Vigilante: A townie that process a gun and 1 bullet. Once per game, during any night phase, they may Shoot and kill (unless healed) any player in the game. They win with town.

Veteran: A townie that process a passive vest, that protects himself from 1 kill/kp (kill point). Wins with town.

Bodyguard: A Bodyguard is a townie that can either put on a vest on themselves, or give another player a vest for 1 night. Wins with town.

Tracker: A tracker can, once per night, track someone and see if they visit anyone during the night. Wins with town

Watcher: A watcher can, once per night, watch a player, and see if any other player visits them during the night. Wins with town.

Mafia Goon: You are vanilla scum. You have no special powers, but you can carry KP if you so choose. You will get a qt, that allows you to talk with your fellow team mates. You win with mafia.

Mafia Roleblocker: You are the mafia roleblocker. Each night you can select one player to roleblock. You resolve simultaneously with a town roleblocker, if there is one. Players who are roleblocked cannot preform actions (such as a checking a player if cop) or removes vet's passive block. You will get a qt, that allows you to talk with your fellow team mates. You win with mafia.

Mafia Godfather: You are the Godfather. You return town-aligned checks. You are untrackable. Your passives are not roleblockable. You will get a qt, that allows you to talk with your fellow team mates. You win with the mafia.

*Note, GF might be different depending on host.

Mafia Framer: You are the framer. Each night you can pick one player to target for frame, inclusive of yourself, allowing that player to return a check for the opposite alignment. Can be roleblocked. You will get a qt, that allows you to talk with your fellow team mates. You win with mafia.
1.4 Vocab/Slang.

"FOS Shapelog, due to his WIFOM playstyle, followed back the CC from Gopher, and finally, Sinny's WoT on him. Plus, Occam Razor supports him being scum. And he already stated that his meta is like this anyways."

If you are a new player, this problem looks like a bunch of nonsense. Don't Worry! It is more simpler then it looks. Like any other culture, Mafia forums have slang that they use, this is, but not limited too:

FOS: Finger of suspicion. Basically stating that you are suspicious of a player due to their actions, tone, etc.
WIFOM: literally Wine In front of me. Usually means a play that pulls the wool over your eyes, what ifs, or when a player's actions can come from both town or scum alignments.
CC: Counter Claim
Uncced: Un-Counter claimed
Meta: A typically way a player plays a alignment. Usually used heavily in the first part of a mafia game, to get early reads.
WoT: Wall of text
Occam Razor: is a problem-solving principle devised by William of Ockham. In mafia, it basically means going with the answer that has the least amount of reasons that state otherwise.

Basically, if a player claims scum, By Razor, he is scum and so on.
RVS: Random Voting Stage. Usually early d1, players randomly vote eachother.
Scum: Mafia
KP: Kill point
OMGUS: Oh My god your scum! Basically calling someone scum for attacking you.
QT: Quick Topic. Another forum that Mafia/Obs/Host use for out side communication.
OC: Outside Communication.
ML: Mislynch, when A townie is lynched.
Mylo: Last Mislynch, a potential game ending lynch, but a doc save/protection save can make another lynch happen.
Lylo: Last Lynch, Last lynch of the game.
Let me know if I missed anything.
2. Town Overview

Town makes up the majority of the game, and has the goal of finding and lynching scum via reading and making cases against suspicious players in the game. Easier said then done. Other players will make it difficult for you due to their habits, and almost all townies will at one point, do something that will seem scummy.

2.1 What you should be aiming for
There are four Main Goals you should be doing yourself, and 2 others ones (IMO) that you should be doing with the rest of town.

As town, you need to:

• Establish your Innocence/Townieness.
  • Find and Push Mafia, or Mafia Reads.
  • Cooperate and contribute with the Thread in a formal manner, and be open to their reasoning.
  • Convince Others of your reads, and Make it clear what are your reads.

The other two, we will talk about later.
------------------------------------------------------------------
2.2 Establishing your Innocence/Townieness
Establishing Your Innocence is the first thing you want to be doing, but how do you do it? There are many ways of doing it, not to mention, people might favor someone who is aggressive early on or what not. Generally, here are some things you can (and shouldn't) do to prove you are town.

-Play the F**king Game
No one cares if you claim town, nor should they, everyone will. Nor do townies care if you are posting off related topics. I know this should be obvious, but it is really easy to lose focus of playing the game at times. By playing the game, and posting reads/thoughts, you are progressing the game, and, letting other players see your mindset etc. which can get you town read.

-Contribute
While other people might share sus. on the same person you do, or post a really good case on someone. You should, still, come up with your own reasoning. Simply rehashing everything or going with the flow and not finding anything, will make you stand out for not actually contributing anything. As you simply are just taking other's people reasoning.

Even if you have a Stupid dumb idea why someone might be scum, share it. It is better then nothing.

-Being a Active, Driving, role in the game
Townie's Love a good active role sure, but being someone who drives town discussion is good as well. Not only will this get the rest of town discussing, which in turn, allows you to read them. But it also improves the Atmosphere of town (see later in guide) as well. Even if you do not get town readed for it, It is good for town, so do it.

-Don't be a idiot and destroy your Townieness.
Don't do things that purposely misleads the town. Period. I don't care if it is a top secret way of reading people, you WILL get lynched no matter what if you do this. Think of it as this, if you are intentionally being scummy, how would that affect my read on you? It would make me scum read you, will you know, is a wrong read. However, it is on reasonable cause isn't it? You are being scummy after all?

Just don't try to remove towniesness from you.

Overall, just play the game and be a positive force for town. I wish I could say more, yet, for most, they need experience in order to really understand.
----------------------------------------------------------
2.3 Scum hunting!

Well you need to catch the mafia members right? Scum hunting as it is called, is something that is hard to teach. Most players have their own way of catching scum. However, here are a few things to help you catch scum:

Understand Mafia Agenda:
Go ahead and read the Mafia Agenda section of this post, as it will be more in depth. In short, Know how the mafia wants to play the game goes a long way. We all know they want to ML people right? Easiest way for people to do that, is to push a already popular lynch (that isn't one of them). Knowing this logic, you can then read the thread and find if anyone is doing just that, or did do that for a previous ML and work from there.

Tone:

This is subjective, But tone can reveal a lot about a person's alignment. If someone is being aggressive when the whole thread is chill, why is that? Are they trying to push something onto town that goes with mafia Agenda? Or, are they always seeming to have a hint a fear in their posts? Finally, do they even sound like they believe in what they say?

Generally, new mafia members will have a fear of posting. The generally will not stand their ground as well with there reads, and often, fall victim to aggressive players. If someone is very shy, pressure them.

Older mafia players most likely will be harder to catch with tone logic. Through, screw ups can happen.

Contradicting behavior/Funky Logic

Are they Contradicting themselves, or is their logic funky? This will come from looking at the content of their posts. Now, Contradicts themselves are not grounds for mafia play, (otherwise, half the game would be mafia) but is grounds for questioning. Also, are they saying something that just makes no sense what so ever with a townie's mindset?

Work Through your reads via questions
Let's say I found a someone who I think is scum. I question them.

Why not the jump onto them you ask? Because, more info.

If you call someone scum, sure, they will respond to your reasoning. And while that is fine, what could you have gotten if you took a calm approach? Not only that, but your reasoning could be a misunderstanding, or something easy to debunk. Not only that, but scums love it if you Scum read X (X being a townie) for bad reasoning, as they can push BOTH of you. It also, from experience, can help you from getting tunneled.

And you can be aggressive while doing this as well. Just keep asking questions to them, and update your read on them with each answer. As a rule though, don't just ask questions for the heck of it. Try to ask questions that you would expect town to have a different answer to then a mafia answer. For Ex.

"Habo, Do you have any reads?"

Here I am asking a player if they have any reads. Lets say it is early in D1, meaning I would expect a townie to either have no opinion on any players alignment, or strongly have one depending on the factors of the game.

"I don't have any strong Reads Shapelog, Rn the Thread is....."
"Other then Blar, due to X reasoning, No. Blar...."

Likewise, I would expect a mafia member to MAKE UP a crappy responses to it. As mafia would think that I would want something from them. Yet, due to them not having anything to push (or want to push), they end up just saying nothing.

"I kinda suspected Blar, because of posting memes and not doing anything, but I am waiting. PMJ also tickled my fancy with his intro as well. For you, I have kinda as a weak town lean for questioning other players, but that is all."

or something where they give a long winded answer to a Null read.

Instead build your case on them, then push it. Speaking of which...

-Case building

First things first. I cannot teach Case building in the sense of "This is how you build your case." as it is something that comes with playing the game. But, I can give you a rude outline on general Case building.

First, Gather all your reasoning for why X is scum.
Second, Which reasoning(s) are going to be your main point(s)? Sure, X doing that little tone thing is post 321 was a bit scummy, but is that the main thing you want to tell the rest of town?
Third, Outline it, Start by just having a sentence for each reasoning:
For ex.
BH is a fascist because:

1. He is basically already running a fascist ban-list.

2. His name is highly fascist relative.

3. Started the community thread, In which from my experience, has told us weather or not to buy Powerball tickets, or explain to it's readers, how Government's work.
Finally, fill in with the reasoning.
On June 23 2016 06:00 Shapelog wrote:
Calling it,
BH is going to be [red]fascist[/red], and will try to lead us liberals to our demise.

These are based on some key points;

1. He is basically already running a fascist ban-list. Sure, he's got foolishness, but then you have to wonder, is foolishness actually foolishness? I bet you that BH got foolishness to give him his account info, just to trick people into thinking it's liberal. He is solely in full control of the ban list, which is more fascist then a drunken Russian stripping on the U.S.S.R's birthday.

2. His name is highly fascist relative.Fascist are usually red, blazing hands are also red. Therefore, By Dicktum Razor, BH must be fascist. Not only that, but what greater symbol for sole power, then a fucking hand on fire? It is like masterhand took a fucking bath in lava. Highly fucking fascist if you ask me.

3. Started the community thread, In which from my experience, has told us weather or not to buy Powerball tickets, or explain to it's readers, how Government's work.

This is important for the fact that He knows how government's work very well, and has experience in politics and debating. This is important to note, because, we can now tie BH to politics Directly. Points 1 and 2, sure, are strong, but how does that show he is a interested in running a government? Or understands how to?

If you look at the thread, you can see him explaining it. Showing us he understands what he is talking about. As for wanting to run a government/nation:
On January 09 2016 06:48 Blazinghand wrote:
man I gotta play more CK2 and EU

NpjaERm.jpg
HE PLAYS GAMES OF CONQUEST. CONQUEST.

Look at how fucking well he ran Sweden too my god.

TLDR:
[red]BH is Fascist for:[/red]
  • His fascist rule over the Ban list
  • His name is Fascist aligned.
  • Knows how Government's work, and has a deserve to be a Sweden warlord.
Ryan, did I do better with this practice case? I feel like I stayed on topic, and showed why he is scum.

A course yours will prob. be longer, that one was just something I came up with in 30 mins about a Mod on TL.
----------------------------------------------
3. Overall Town Agenda
So (hopefully) you know have a clue on how to play town by yourself. Good job, but mafia isn't a game about being by yourself. You must learn how to play and thrive in the town as a whole.

Remember those 2 points I was talking about, well here they are:
  • Developing and maintaining a Strong Town Atmosphere
  • Being a directed/consistent Town.

These are very very very hard (from experience) to consistently to do. And, no offense, this site seems to have problems with both from my experience.

Town Atmosphere refers to the overall mood and productiveness of a Town. sometimes, A Town Leader emerges out from the player list, who actively tries to not only improve the Atmosphere, but also Directs the thread in the since of who to lynch. These players are usually heavily town read as well.

Bad Town Atmospheres are a result of either, Morale lost, BM from players, or a bad steak of ML's. This, in turn, makes the town easier for mafia to screw over, and often, nothing happens for town to actually win the game. AVOID this at all cost, it can very easier lose you the game, and you won't even notice. Often, the town won't even discus anything useful at all, and just points fingers at each other.

Flip-side, a Good town Atmosphere stems from, good discussion, good lynching, and a lack of mafia influence. This means that the town can often (if not already) find scum easier. Not only that, but if everyone is discussing, then more information will get revealed.

Most games will be a mix of the two, but it is possible to achieve one or the other.

It also helps if the town is in agreement BEFORE the lynch (like 24 hours ahead of time) even takes place. And for that matter, helps if the town can understand each other's ideas and wants. And try to not spread out votes as well. Try to Voice all sus. before the last few hours of the day, then precede on a lynch. This is easier said then done, but is possible.

4.Voting (patterns) and Closing remarks
Voting is your tool as a townie, no matter if you are a Power Role or not. Voting is your only consistent way of killing mafia, and should be used. Don't think it is scared enough to save until you are certain X is scum. It can be a tool even to get more information out of some as well in the form of a pressure vote.

Patterns are also worth noting. Typically, if a bunch of people out of nowhere vote X, X is usally town. For ex.
Let's say no one is voting anyone and the game is a /m9. Zerk makes a case against Gopher, and votes him. We have

1) Gopher = Zerk

Rest not voting.

Suddenly, in the next 4 hours, Fukyo, Sete Kiba, and Urk joins. And lets say there are 2 1 vote wagons

4) Gopher = Zerk, Fukyo, Sete Kiba, Urk
1)Habo = Gopher
1) Sinny = Yellow

And nothing is being discussed or pushed.

We can concluded that, since almost half the players are on Gopher, and mafia does not feel the need to try to get town off of Gopher, that Gopher is most likely a ML and is town. We know this because of the fact mafia isn't Trying to deflect the wagon onto someone else. And for added Evidence, the 2 other wagons both A) have 1 vote, and B) Mafia isn't pushing those.

Now, say we had a Vote count that looked like this:

3) Shapelog = RB, Jenny, QT
2) PMJ = Hart, Blar

5) no voting

Then suddenly, a Zerk wagon comes out of no where. and over takes my and PMJ's wagons.

4) Zerk = 4 people
3) Shapelog
2) PMJ

0) not voting.

We can conclude, since the original lynch wagon (me) was at 3, and PMj was at 2, and the sudden wagon of Zerk. That I or PMJ is scum. As mafia had to get another wagon going to save one of us.

That is the basics of looking at vote logic.

(WORK IN PROGESS)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 11:57 PM
-->
QuickTwist's Pro-Town/Anti-Town list:

What is Pro-Town?

• Being active - If you are making the bare minimum of the post requirement you are probably not posting enough. This does two things. 1) Makes it easier for people to give you a town read and 2) prevents Scum from winning simply from lurking the whole game.
  • Asking probing questions - this is a huge part of the game. If you are not asking questions to players, you best have a really good reason for why. Asking questions help in a multitude of different reasons and a thread could probably be made just on this but here are a few. 1) It tells Town that you are actively trying to solve the game which can help you get a town read. 2) Obviously if you ask a question you are going to get some information out of it even if they don't answer which can help you to clinch that scum read you were thinking about or help clear someone from possibly getting lynch that is Town. 3) It can stop you from assuming something about someone by simply asking a question like "What do you mean?" or "Why?" or "Could you explain your thought process here?"
  • Providing a conclusion - Simply providing a rundown of what has happened in the thread can help, but it helps 10X more when you provide what your thoughts are about what has happened means rather than simply stating facts. Conclusions should be logically sound and not something used as WIFOM to be effective. Your conclusion should be Inductive or Deductive reasoning and something that is not easily refutable. An accurate conclusion doesn't have to be a super complex thing, it can simply be used to tell if what someone says is true or not
  • Putting in effort into the game - You probably will not have to deal with this as long as you are a newbie, but a lot of the time when you have played a lot of games it is really easy to fall into the pit of apathy toward the game and just stop trying to figure out the game. Play every game like you want to win and if you can't do that, don't play.
  • SCUM HUNTING -admittedly this looks different for different playstyles, but it should be obvious that you are doing it.
  • Observing reactions - It is one things to make plays yourself, but its on another level altogether to observe and make a conclusion on a conversation that you were not even a part of. Keep your eyes sharp and watch everything that happens in the thread and comment on what what observations and conclusions you have made. Often the best posts are ones that have a lot of people involved in a single conversation and it sometimes just takes someone with the wherewithal to conclude what several people have said about a single topic.

What is Anti-Town?

• Posting WAY too much - If you are taking up a large chunk of the total post in the thread you are posting way too much and are not allowing discussion from happening between many people that would otherwise have plenty to say about the game and to each other.
  • Posting too little - If you are posting the bare minimum of the post requirement you are not giving town enough to work with. Even if you are just posting the bare minimum and making huge gigantic posts with one liners, this does not help town win for two reasons 1) It keeps people from even wanting to read that monster, let alone respond to everything you have said and 2) It does a lot of harm for the thread to flow organically. If people are not responding to things as they come up then there is really no change of opinion for people when you are bringing up a lot of old information that can get addressed relatively easily by just letting people think about a couple topics at a time and being able to then come up with a conclusion. This is not the same as an ISO where you are quoting many posts from a specific person.
  • Extreme WIFOM - While debatably WIFOM has its place even as a Town tactic, if all you are doing is that then you are not helping Town narrow down possibilities, but instead creating conversations that don't lead to anywhere.
  • Voting for yourself without a really good reason - While its really easy sometimes to throw up a vote for yourself, most of the time it creates a ton of unnecessary WIFOM and is rarely productive for Town to help in finding scum debatibly
  • Claiming without reason - Most of the time it is not ok to claim unless you are a very likely possibility to get lynched. The reason for this is because it gives Scum valuable information that they otherwise wouldn't have. If you are a PT especially You don't want to give Scum this info for an easy NK of a PR or forcing the Doc to protect you when they could be playing their own game and could have another person to save in mind.
  • IIoA (information instead of analysis) - This is where you are stating facts but are not providing any kind of conclusion on what this means. Almost anyone has the capability of giving facts that have happened in the thread, but if you are not telling what that means, it just ends up being a recap of events that doesn't add anything new.

I made this list back in august.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Quantum Werewolf (or Quantum Mafia)

NB: Mafia and Werewolf are the same game.
Villager = Town
Werewolves/Wolves = Mafia/Scum
Seer = Cop/Sheriff
Bodyguard = Doctor
Et cetera= et cetera

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
-->
An idea for a role: King, is able to order one player to reveal their alignment during the day (player should abide and will be modkilled if lying) but in doing so also reveals the kings alignment (same deal here, if fake claiming then modkill).
Does anything like this exist?

Shapelog

Local time
-->
An idea for a role: King, is able to order one player to reveal their alignment during the day (player should abide and will be modkilled if lying) but in doing so also reveals the kings alignment (same deal here, if fake claiming then modkill).
Does anything like this exist?
Nothing in the sense that reveals both of their alignment like that.

That role would have to be balanced though, assuming you want either mafia or town to have it. I think a better role like that would be:

(Town) King: Once per game, in the first 24 hours of any day cycle, you can reveal to the thread the alignment of one person you choose (host will make a post at the end of the 24 hour period) However, you are also outed as king, and will be killed at the end of the night. Regardless if Mafia chooses you or not. You win with town.

Revealing a alignment like that can really screw over mafia. Not only do you get a king reveal (who will be town) but also a confirm check on whoever was checked. This way, you keep the mechanic, but it also has a negative to where mafia can kill both confirm members, or don't have to waste a NK (when they already are behind) killing the King.

(Mafia) Corrupt King: Once per game, you may change the alignment result of any players to be FLIPPED (townies show up mafia, Mafia shows up town) for that night. ...You win with mafia.

Or

during the day cycle, you may change the alignment result of the day's lynch. If no lynch happens, you get/do not get you change back. On the second day after the lynch, the true alignment will get shown.

This one might be a bit OP. It basically a 1 shot framer on meth. Could work though, be funny.

Second one would be interesting to test as well.

(3rd party?) Forgotten King, Once per night, you may change the alignment outcome of any player (inculding yourself) and once per game, after the first two days, you can change your alignment to join either town or mafia. You win either by yourself, or with Town/mafia.

This would be fun as it gives 3rd a higher chance of winning late game (usually they are like 13% win rate for any game that runs them) without breaking the idea of it.

There is a lot you can do with it tbh.
I been working on the guide, but I cannot edit it anymore. Will either delate it, or ask RB to move once I finsh it in the word doc. It actually is going to have a balance guide/host guide as well

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 11:57 PM
-->
Nothing in the sense that reveals both of their alignment like that.

That role would have to be balanced though, assuming you want either mafia or town to have it. I think a better role like that would be:

(Town) King: Once per game, in the first 24 hours of any day cycle, you can reveal to the thread the alignment of one person you choose (host will make a post at the end of the 24 hour period) However, you are also outed as king, and will be killed at the end of the night. Regardless if Mafia chooses you or not. You win with town.

Revealing a alignment like that can really screw over mafia. Not only do you get a king reveal (who will be town) but also a confirm check on whoever was checked. This way, you keep the mechanic, but it also has a negative to where mafia can kill both confirm members, or don't have to waste a NK (when they already are behind) killing the King.

I feel this is an interesting role, ofc, but the downside of it is pretty bad because it pretty much forces 2 confirmed Town to die (unless there is a Doc, which I think would be absolutely necessary for this role to be in the game).

I would prolly forgo the King death because for one, its not really all that kingly for the King to sacrifice themselves for someone. At the very least call it something else.

Without a Doc though, I think it works perfectly well without the King dying.. plenty of ways to balance it on Scum side (like Tailor from SC2Mafia for example)

(Mafia) Corrupt King: Once per game, you may change the alignment result of any players to be FLIPPED (townies show up mafia, Mafia shows up town) for that night. ...You win with mafia.

This is already a Role called Tailor, which I mentioned. The role can either change the role or alignment or both of a person, but to do this, they must pick a person to change the role and alignment of on the previous night or earlier from their death. Naturally this role usually has a Town countermeasure such as Coroner which is able to tell what the actual role of the person who died is.

during the day cycle, you may change the alignment result of the day's lynch. If no lynch happens, you get/do not get you change back. On the second day after the lynch, the true alignment will get shown.

This is actually a pretty neat idea if utilized correctly. Could work really well with a lot of investigative roles for Town. I like this a lot because its a counter measure to cop but does so very indirectly.

This one might be a bit OP. It basically a 1 shot framer on meth. Could work though, be funny.

Naw, as long as the next SOD the real alignment is given its not OP.

(3rd party?) Forgotten King, Once per night, you may change the alignment outcome of any player (inculding yourself) and once per game, after the first two days, you can change your alignment to join either town or mafia. You win either by yourself, or with Town/mafia.

I would prefer to have a pick at start of game of what alignment to choose (kinda like U Pick or SK in a C9++ type thing), otherwise it could get into bastard territory pretty damn quick (though honestly we don't know what constitutes as bastard on this site yet). I also don't like games where people come back from the dead unless it is absolutely necessary for that role to be in the game and I can't think of too many scenarios where this would be the case.

Shapelog

Local time
-->
I feel this is an interesting role, ofc, but the downside of it is pretty bad because it pretty much forces 2 confirmed Town to die (unless there is a Doc, which I think would be absolutely necessary for this role to be in the game).

I would prolly forgo the King death because for one, its not really all that kingly for the King to sacrifice themselves for someone. At the very least call it something else.

Without a Doc though, I think it works perfectly well without the King dying.. plenty of ways to balance it on Scum side (like Tailor from SC2Mafia for example)
Well it's tricky, because the King idea (original) was a Named VT and Day Cop mixed, with no downside. It needs IMO to have something of a drawback, otherwise, you use it D1, boom, 2 confirm townies (or 1 and 1 mafia) and mafia cannot kill both till Day 3. Unless mafia has something like you said.

This is already a Role called Tailor, which I mentioned. The role can either change the role or alignment or both of a person, but to do this, they must pick a person to change the role and alignment of on the previous night or earlier from their death. Naturally this role usually has a Town countermeasure such as Coroner which is able to tell what the actual role of the person who died is.
No, the idea I had with this was make it to where for that night, any person checked (or maybe even killed) would show as opposite alignment. That is why I said it was a framer on meth.
This is actually a pretty neat idea if utilized correctly. Could work really well with a lot of investigative roles for Town. I like this a lot because its a counter measure to cop but does so very indirectly.
Honestly, I was thinking more on the lines of counter associative reads people like doing. Cop I think also works.
I would prefer to have a pick at start of game of what alignment to choose (kinda like U Pick or SK in a C9++ type thing), otherwise it could get into bastard territory pretty damn quick (though honestly we don't know what constitutes as bastard on this site yet). I also don't like games where people come back from the dead unless it is absolutely necessary for that role to be in the game and I can't think of too many scenarios where this would be the case.
[/quote]
Where did you get the idea it comes back from the dead? Basically it is a framer that can join later to either side. Might be better though like you said at the beginning of the game.

idk I just theorycrafting.

Top Bottom