• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Louis C.K. INTP?

shortbuss

Local time
Today 8:32 AM
-->
Louis C.K. always strikes me as a huge INTP.

Louis is extremely open-minded and always expresses how he is open and even seeks out opinions and information from other people, and is readily willing to replace old conclusions with more plausible information when he finds it.

I find I relate to him and his show quite a lot, so it would make sense if he turned out to be as similar to myself as I perceive. What do you people think?

shortbuss

Local time
-->
I hope it's not just because he's an entertainer, because that would be fallacious logic since a lot of entertainers are known to be introverted when not performing.

I hate to assume your reasoning, but you were kind of lean on rationale, and by lean I mean completely silent. If my curiosity were a penis it would be completely flaccid from your comment.

I think he seems introverted and rather mellow. Even the intro to his show Louie just follows him walking around the city at night completely alone. He is rarely around groups of people, and in fact outside of his stand-up he is usually seen socializing with individuals as opposed to groups (excluding his daughters).

I think he's intuitive because I don't think Sensors can be insightful comedians like intuitive types. I'm not saying they don't have humor, but the difference is that I think intuitive humor creates concepts about society and culture, while Sensor humor uses concrete concepts familiar to the masses without challenging or questioning norms.

I think he's a thinker only because his system of gathering information. He explicitly states that he wants to hear what other people think, and if convinced is willing to completely change his opinions if met with a good argument or new perspective.

I think being a comedian seems like a career made for a P type so I'll let that be my argument for the final letter.

Anyway, I'm just guess, obviously. But I tried...

Ink

Local time
Today 9:32 AM
-->
I'm typing on my phone atm which is why I cba elaborating much, but check out some videos of a young CK and his extraversion becomes very obvious

shortbuss

Local time
-->
[ENCADRE][/ENCADRE]
I'm typing on my phone atm which is why I cba elaborating much, but check out some videos of a young CK and his extraversion becomes very obvious

I'll check it out, and sorry, I forget that some people access this site with cellphones. I guess I'm just anxious to put Louis under the microscope.

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
Today 3:32 AM
-->
Yeah, I can see Louis being an INTP. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to determine I/E for public figures based on just videos. He obviously uses his Ne when he's in public, but that doesn't mean much.

Personally, I'm leaning towards INTP, though. The famous big Ne's I can think of (Robin Williams, Adam Savage) go to a whole other level of craziness.

Ink

Local time
-->
Personally, I see his Si as being inferior to his Fe

Suraj

Local time
Today 1:32 AM
-->
I thought this too after watching his show tonight.

viche

Local time
-->
ESTP or ENTP, he has auxiliary Ti

I'm inclined to think ESTP since so much of his humor is physical.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
right, because anyone who can do stand-up comedy must be Ne-dominant *rolls eyes*

Heh. I think it's quite obvious. What other function dominant is more attuned to things like in the video? Ne "breaks" Si. It challenges definitions and ideas. He does this in the video by coming up with the most counterintuitive names, attacking whatever arbitrary standard makes a "name." From the idea of a name with no vowels to the idea of a "phrase name." That can't be Se or any other function but Ne. The only thing Se about him is that he uses swearing, a suggestion of the physical, for humor. But if you weigh things down, Ne is his main humor-engine. I think he relies on Se only as a quick escape from what he perceives as a possible downward trend in his funniness relative to his audience or when he runs out of ideas. It "works", it's "Ti."

Also, humor is one of the most closely related to type, and Ne-humor is one of the most dominant these days. The patterns are there. Whenever your friends laugh at something random, whenever something out of the box is introduced, whenever "wtf?"...you just need to get a feel for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2ZsoYWwJA

louiesgonnadie

"louie-louie-louie-lou-ieeee, louie louie you're g
Local time
Today 4:32 AM
-->
Observing him in more casual appearances (like interviews), if you listen to him on Opie & Anthony, it seems like he's more Ne-dom just based on all of his wacky social commentary (ie him calling Donald Rumsfield a lizard, and other countless out-of-the-box things he has said). Granted, an INTP can have just as wacky social commentary, but be more grounded with Ti and appear more rehearsed, while C.K.'s commentary seems more raw, plus he isn't as hesitant to make comments on O&A (not saying all INTPs are usually).

Just based on what I know, I'm leaning ENTP. I'll gather more information though, some parts of him do seem introverted, but I'd call him a reserved extrovert.

joal0503

Psychedelic INTP
Local time
-->
I hope it's not just because he's an entertainer, because that would be fallacious logic since a lot of entertainers are known to be introverted when not performing.

I hate to assume your reasoning, but you were kind of lean on rationale, and by lean I mean completely silent. If my curiosity were a penis it would be completely flaccid from your comment.

I think he seems introverted and rather mellow. Even the intro to his show Louie just follows him walking around the city at night completely alone. He is rarely around groups of people, and in fact outside of his stand-up he is usually seen socializing with individuals as opposed to groups (excluding his daughters).

I think he's intuitive because I don't think Sensors can be insightful comedians like intuitive types. I'm not saying they don't have humor, but the difference is that I think intuitive humor creates concepts about society and culture, while Sensor humor uses concrete concepts familiar to the masses without challenging or questioning norms.

I think he's a thinker only because his system of gathering information. He explicitly states that he wants to hear what other people think, and if convinced is willing to completely change his opinions if met with a good argument or new perspective.

I think being a comedian seems like a career made for a P type so I'll let that be my argument for the final letter.

Anyway, I'm just guess, obviously. But I tried...

the persona he projects, the illusion of his personality we see on stage and on television is all most people know about louis ck. but aside from how he TRULY is in the normal world, its almost impossible to be 100%. we can make guesses yea, but it just sort of irks me when people try to get into the lives of idols and celebrities...we dont know them.

all that being said, louis ck is fucking awesome.

viche

Local time
-->
Heh. I think it's quite obvious. What other function dominant is more attuned to things like in the video? Ne "breaks" Si. It challenges definitions and ideas. He does this in the video by coming up with the most counterintuitive names, attacking whatever arbitrary standard makes a "name." From the idea of a name with no vowels to the idea of a "phrase name." That can't be Se or any other function but Ne.
Challenging convention and traditional thinking is not a property of Ne.

The ideas he comes up with are awkward and simplistic (though that's what the crowd loves) from which it can be assessed that Ne or intuition of any kind are not his strong points.

The only thing Se about him is that he uses swearing, a suggestion of the physical, for humor. But if you weigh things down, Ne is his main humor-engine.
He uses physicality and sensory references extensively in his comedy. He is very well grounded. Only other types I could see for him are Si ones: ISxJ.

I think he relies on Se only as a quick escape from what he perceives as a possible downward trend in his funniness relative to his audience or when he runs out of ideas. It "works", it's "Ti."
Sensory humor is his usual form of humor, not a "quick escape".

Also, humor is one of the most closely related to type, and Ne-humor is one of the most dominant these days. The patterns are there. Whenever your friends laugh at something random, whenever something out of the box is introduced, whenever "wtf?"...you just need to get a feel for it.
ESTPs are masters of random physical humor which is Louis C.K. forte. The amount of sensing information that he delivers in his comedy makes any intuitive typing for him be highly unlikely.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 2:32 AM
-->

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:32 AM
-->
Last I checked Celebrity Types said ENTP. :p

See, this might be a character/actor thing like with Gregory House/Hugh Laurie. The persona on Louie might be INTP and the standup dude might be ENTP.

Haha, I haven't really cared to analyze it. Who gives a fuck?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Challenging convention and traditional thinking is not a property of Ne.

Challenging traditions necessarily means a presentation of a new idea. A move from the old to the new. What function deals with Ideas? Ni and Ne. Which functions challenges traditions in particular? Ne. Or you can look at this way, which function is commonly considered to be the traditional function or what types are most traditional? Si-types. What is the "inverse" of Si or what is the inferior function of Si doms? Ne.

The ideas he comes up with are awkward and simplistic (though that's what the crowd loves) from which it can be assessed that Ne or intuition of any kind are not his strong points.
Oh? and what would qualify as a non-awkward, good idea? And does being an N-dominant automatically mean having supposed "quality" ideas?

He uses physicality and sensory references extensively in his comedy. He is very well grounded. Only other types I could see for him are Si ones: ISxJ.
-_-"

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Last I checked Celebrity Types said ENTP. :p

See, this might be a character/actor thing like with Gregory House/Hugh Laurie. The persona on Louie might be INTP and the standup dude might be ENTP.
Yes. Are we allowed to type the person who acts versus the person underneath?

Haha, I haven't really cared to analyze it. Who gives a fuck?
Because it sheds light on how we interpret the MBTI. If there are a lot of different views as appears on this thread, how are we to interpret that? Even if reconciled, would we trust the reconciliation? When the analysis becomes difficult, do we look for more brilliant insight or more data input or do we look at the theory itself, question it or how to interpret it?

ShameFace

Local time
-->
ESTPs are masters of random physical humor which is Louis C.K. forte. The amount of sensing information that he delivers in his comedy makes any intuitive typing for him be highly unlikely.

His comedy is physical?

Anyway, I don't know if he's an INTP or not, but I will say that he is probably not an extrovert. I'd say most comedians are probably introverted, even though that may seem counter intuitive given their profession.

viche

Local time
-->
Challenging traditions necessarily means a presentation of a new idea. A move from the old to the new. What function deals with Ideas? Ni and Ne. Which functions challenges traditions in particular? Ne. Or you can look at this way, which function is commonly considered to be the traditional function or what types are most traditional? Si-types. What is the "inverse" of Si or what is the inferior function of Si doms? Ne.
Nope. Ne and Ni are not functions of challenging the tradition or functions that invent new ideas. I mean for all of the intuition present on INTPf you guys should be swimming in inventions and discoveries on this forum, yet here you are regurgitating the same ol' MBTI stuff and not even adding anything interesting or novel to it.

Oh? and what would qualify as a non-awkward, good idea? And does being an N-dominant automatically mean having supposed "quality" ideas?
Watch Bill Hicks (Ne-ENTP) side by side with Louis CK (Se-ESTP) compare and contrast.

His comedy is physical?
He makes personal and social commentary that is backed up by plenty of sensory references.

For example during one of his performances he was saying that rich people don't get what it's like to be poor, but poor people are constantly fantasizing about what it's like to be rich which he followed up with the following personal fantasy: "I’m gonna have a house made of chocolate, people are going to blow me as I walk into each room, and I’m going to wipe my ass with live rabbits and throw them out the window!”

Another standup performance he was talking about how he doesn't care about protecting endangered species: "You ever go shop for tuna and it says “Dolphin Safe” and you kinda go, “Yeah, but…” like somehow you think it’s not gonna be as good? “I wanna do the right thing, but it’s probably kinda bland.” But here’s the thing: why not kill and eat a dolphin? Why not? “Oh, because…”? Why not? I don’t fucking get it. If you’re a tuna, fuck you, we’re eating you. So I really don’t see the difference.

What is absent here is Ne associative ability -- he is speaking of his actions in a very direct and straightforward manner. Every object he mentions is in existence and is very specifically delineated in his comedy. There is no Ne morphing and merging and drawing far-fetched impossible ideas here. It's all very physical and concrete. This is what you get with ESTP humor if you have ever been friends with them.

If you want to compare Louis C.K. more sensory based comedy to some intuition based comedians watch performances of Bill Hicks and Eddie Izzard and notice how Hicks and Izzard both demonstrate a propensity to slip into imaginative story-telling during their performances (for example: http://tinyurl.com/bgytdh4) while Louis' repertoire is thoroughly grounded in reality.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
My wife types him as INTP but I have my doubts. I suspect Sensor of some variation. There's no hard data either way, actors and comedians often project a different character than themselves.

Ink

Local time
-->
My wife types him as INTP but I have my doubts. I suspect Sensor of some variation. There's no hard data either way, actors and comedians often project a different character than themselves.

He's a textbook ENTP. What makes you suspect sensor? Have you seen much of Louie?

Local time
-->
I just watched a long interview of him on YouTube and I support the ENTP typing. He is certainly not INTP; he is a Ne type and not a Ti type. Se (ESTP) is right out; there's nothing Se about him.

I think some of you are mixing up extraversion, Jung's original idea about the direction of the psyche, with extroversion, which are attributes discussed by psychologists after him, but for typing purposes it is better to compare the functions themselves, in this case his Ne vs his Ti and see which one is really driving and motivating him.

Ink

Local time
-->
Where do people get the idea that he's an extrovert?

Perhaps from watching the guy speak and interacting with others? Why would he be an introvert? He likes thinking as all NTs, that's it.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
He's a textbook ENTP. What makes you suspect sensor? Have you seen much of Louie?

Yes I've watched all the seasons on Netflix. That's not a strong opinion, just an idea. I haven't really thought about it much. ENTP seems likely too.

ShameFace

Local time
-->
Perhaps from watching the guy speak and interacting with others? Why would he be an introvert? He likes thinking as all NTs, that's it.

Don't be condescending.
I've seen all of his stand up, listened to his appearances on O&A and read a lot of interviews of him; and I don't see anything to indicate that he's an extrovert.
Someone mentioned that extroverts are stand ups and introverts are writers.
Well, Louie started out as a writer (on Conan O'Brien) and he has also written screenplays and continues to write for his own show
I know quite a few stand ups and the vast majority are introverts.

edit: Here's an interview where Louie discusses being the only writer on the show and why.
Doesnt sound the way I would think an Extrovert likes to work

Extract: I am the only writer. That was a decision I made because I just wanted to write and make the show. Writers’ rooms, they kind of gravitate towards a certain place. There’s a need to perfect things in a writers’ room, and that can take a lot of fun out of a show sometimes. It’s a struggle. It depends on your personality. Some people love working with a writing staff. I had a great writing staff on Lucky Louie, but it sometimes felt like Congress or something. It’s like if you’re the president and you have the ability to just fire Congress, life would get kind of fun all of a sudden.
I remember when I got the green light to do this show, and my daughter was asking me about it. She was about seven at the time, and asked me, I don’t know why, she said, “Are you going to have writers on the show or are you going to write it all yourself?” And I said, “I think I might write them all myself.” And she said, “I think that would be easier because you don’t have to explain to all those people what you want to do. You can just do it.” And she was right. Seven years old, she was very savvy about production.

Ink

Local time
-->
Don't be condescending.
I've seen all of his stand up, listened to his appearances on O&A and read a lot of interviews of him; and I don't see anything to indicate that he's an extrovert.
Well, Louie started out as a writer (on Conan O'Brien) and he has also written screenplays and continues to write for his own show

edit: Here's an interview where Louie discusses being the only writer on the show and why.
Doesnt sound the way I would think an Extrovert likes to work

Extract: I am the only writer. That was a decision I made because I just wanted to write and make the show. Writers’ rooms, they kind of gravitate towards a certain place. There’s a need to perfect things in a writers’ room, and that can take a lot of fun out of a show sometimes. It’s a struggle. It depends on your personality. Some people love working with a writing staff. I had a great writing staff on Lucky Louie, but it sometimes felt like Congress or something. It’s like if you’re the president and you have the ability to just fire Congress, life would get kind of fun all of a sudden.
I remember when I got the green light to do this show, and my daughter was asking me about it. She was about seven at the time, and asked me, I don’t know why, she said, “Are you going to have writers on the show or are you going to write it all yourself?” And I said, “I think I might write them all myself.” And she said, “I think that would be easier because you don’t have to explain to all those people what you want to do. You can just do it.” And she was right. Seven years old, she was very savvy about production.

All that sounds like is an ENTP not liking structure, planned meetings etc. You don't want to tame Ne. I've probably watched hundreds of hours of Louis, only a little of that was a few episodes of his show etc... I'm very certain he's an ENTP.

ShameFace

Local time
-->
All that sounds like is an ENTP not liking structure, planned meetings etc. You don't want to tame Ne. I've probably watched hundreds of hours of Louis, only a little of that was a few episodes of his show etc... I'm very certain he's an ENTP.

He sounds a lot like me and there's no way I'm an ENTP.

Hundreds of hours that arent his show?
Geez, how many hour specials am I missing?!

Do you ever listen to him on 0&A? I think that's the best place to get a feel for his personality.

Ink

Local time
-->
He sounds a lot like me and there's no way I'm an ENTP.

Hundreds of hours that arent his show?
Geez, how many hour specials am I missing?!

Do you ever listen to him on 0&A? I think that's the best place to get a feel for his personality.

I have listened to him there a few times. I relate to him also, that doesn't mean he's an INTP. Your type has very little to do with whether you relate to someone or not.

ShameFace

Local time
-->
I have listened to him there a few times. I relate to him also, that doesn't mean he's an INTP. Your type has very little to do with whether you relate to someone or not.

I never said me relating to him was what made him an INTP, but what you described as ENTP traits sound to me, like INTP traits.

Either way, I won't belabor the point. You've made up your mind and thats cool. We can both agree that he's great regardless of his type.

Ink

Local time
-->
I never said me relating to him was what made him an INTP, but what you described as ENTP traits sound to me, like INTP traits.

Either way, I won't belabor the point. You've made up your mind and thats cool. We can both agree that he's great regardless of his type.

He is great, yes :)

octopuses

Redshirt
Local time
-->
If you want to compare Louis C.K. more sensory based comedy to some intuition based comedians watch performances of Bill Hicks and Eddie Izzard and notice how Hicks and Izzard both demonstrate a propensity to slip into imaginative story-telling during their performances.

I don't think Bill Hicks or Eddie Izzard are ENTPs. I think the difference you're seeing is not Ne/Se but a difference of J/P. I agree that their ideas are more well-thought out and better presented than Louis's and I think this is evidence of their J tendencies. I would type Bill Hicks as an ENTJ, his style seems very Te dominant to me. And Eddie Izzard, I think is an INFJ because of his mental imagery and general clean, put together appearance.

That being said, I feel like Louis is an ENTP but I think its very likely that he could be an INTP.

That's a good point about how he started out as a writer. He was also a writer for the Chris Rock show. (Sidenote: what do you think Chris Rock is?). Also, I think that any INTP in their comfort zone can come off like an extrovert. I know with my friends I can be the one who talks the most. It's interesting how he does a lot of appearances on the O&A show, he probably feels in his comfort zone there.

So, I'm leaning INTP. But I think he is definitely a good example of a well developed Ti & Ne. Probably why he is one of the best comedians out there.

louiesgonnadie

"louie-louie-louie-lou-ieeee, louie louie you're g
Local time
-->
I watched a video of Chris Rock, Louis CK, Jerry Seinfeld and Ricky Gervais discussing comedy etc... I'd type Chris as ESFJ, Seinfeld and Louis ENTP, Ricky INTP, all Ne users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKY6BGcx37k

Gervais is largely speculated to be ENTP. Based on what I have seen (not much), I might agree. What makes you think INTP, @Ink ?

As far as C.K. goes, the more I read about and watch him, and think about it, I'm going with xSTP. Leaning ISTP, in fact.

He was interested in cars at a young age, and in a long interview with fellow comedian Marc Maron, he said he used to be a computer whiz, but the context he drew that in didn't seem like he reveled in it or dug deeper, moreso the fact that he was into stuff like that for practical reasons. Then again, he only mentioned that briefly.

His sense of humor is very physically oriented, lots of sex jokes (not saying this is purely hallmark for S types, N types can fall into this territory too) and the way he talks is very simple and brief; he doesn't often use words that are complex or recondite. He has very vivid recollections of situations he has experienced; this isn't to say Si can't be vivid, but from C.K.'s point of view there really isn't any sentimental value to it from what I've observed.

He seems introverted to me. Just because someone talks a lot and often participates in social situations, that solely doesn't make said person extraverted. He seems like someone who likes to introspect a lot, someone who ponders a lot about life, it's interconnections and the meaning of life, to be exact. This tells me he could have a dominant introverted function, it's harder to pick out because C.K. is older, and has adapted to a lifestyle where he is used to being in social settings - therefore he doesn't appear Ti-dom in interviews. This is just a guess, though.

The only hard part to distinguish from this is his Ne style in his stand up - he has a tendancy to "train" in his stand up comedy, shifting from scenario to scenario (i.e. look back to Live at the Beacon Theater, he talks about littering and how NYC is a pile of litter, than jumps to how litter gets transported onto boats which dump litter into the ocean and falls onto a dolphins head, and litter gets stuck on head as a hat for 10 years). Then again, Ne and Se are both part of Pe, so...

Here is a very interesting interview with him. He gets emotional talking about his daughter at one point too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-Gw125AZtDU

ShameFace

Local time
-->
That's a good point about how he started out as a writer. He was also a writer for the Chris Rock show. (Sidenote: what do you think Chris Rock is?). Also, I think that any INTP in their comfort zone can come off like an extrovert.

I think thats what is confusing to people. I know it may seem counter intuitive that someone who is an introvert can get up on stage and make people laugh, but comedians work very hard to get comfortable enough where they're at ease and seem confident on stage. You also have to remember just how many comics use drugs like booze and coke, in order to get past their insecurities on stage.
I think a lot of times people are confusing the art with the artist himself, and thats a mistake when trying to assess someones type.

octopuses

Redshirt
Local time
-->
You also have to remember just how many comics use drugs like booze and coke, in order to get past their insecurities on stage.
I think a lot of times people are confusing the art with the artist himself, and thats a mistake when trying to assess someones type.

Exactly, same situation with musicians and other performers. He definitely portrays himself as an awkward introvert in his show, although not sure if that's just a character.

As far as C.K. goes, the more I read about and watch him, and think about it, I'm going with xSTP. Leaning ISTP, in fact.

He was interested in cars at a young age, and in a long interview with fellow comedian Marc Maron, he said he used to be a computer whiz, but the context he drew that in didn't seem like he reveled in it or dug deeper, moreso the fact that he was into stuff like that for practical reasons. Then again, he only mentioned that briefly.

Yeah actually the more I was thinking about it, I was starting to lean ISTP for the same reasons you mentioned. I don't think I see him as an INTP because I think he would spend more time building theories and talking about them. His humor is very observational (which makes me think Se).

I think he could have developed some Ne style of humor probably from observing how it works for other comedians (He was influenced by Carlin, Woody Allen, Conan). And as some of you mentioned he doesn't execute it as well as someone like Carlin.

ShameFace

Local time
-->
Exactly, same situation with musicians and other performers. He definitely portrays himself as an awkward introvert in his show, although not sure if that's just a character.

I heard him address this in an interview, which I will try to find. Just going by memory, I recall him saying that the character is an exaggerated version of himself in real life.
That he's not that awkward in real life, but he is awkward and introverted. And why wouldnt the character be true to his real life personality? That's the only way it would be authentic, since Louie is not some highly trained/talented actor.

Ink

Local time
-->
I heard him address this in an interview, which I will try to find. Just going by memory, I recall him saying that the character is an exaggerated version of himself in real life.
That he's not that awkward in real life, but he is awkward and introverted. And why wouldnt the character be true to his real life personality? That's the only way it would be authentic, since Louie is not some highly trained/talented actor.

When people say introverted they usually mean socially introverted, jungian introversion has nothing to do with sociability

ShameFace

Local time
-->
When people say introverted they usually mean socially introverted, jungian introversion has nothing to do with sociability

Can you elaborate?

Why do you think he's an extrovert? His early material?

Ink

Local time
-->

octopuses

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Oh my god, that retro Conan and Jimmy Fallon video had me dying. Jimmy is probably an NF though.

I don't think that Louis is an extrovert because his comedy is observational. Extroverts focus on the outside world but so do Sensors. Ne comedy is based on wit and satire, an ENTPs comedy routine is more of a mindfuck.

Louis seems like an ENTP because he is heavily influenced by George Carlin. But even comparing these two videos it seems like Louis is more present, in the here-and-now (S) and Jimmy seems in his own mind (N).

Ink

Local time
-->
Jimmy is probably an NF though.

haha

anyways, seeing everyone just can't get how typology works (the way I understand it of course) makes me mad, I'll have an emotional breakdown a la pod'lair if I keep trying to explain myself...

Top Bottom