• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

losing motivation to do anything meaningful

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Today 2:13 AM
-->
for the last few years my lack of motivation has gotten really bad, and is currently getting much worse. barely have the motivation to pass high school. i wanted to do neuroscience, but knowing all the uninteresting things that go with getting a degree sounds impossible. is this depression,laziness,wtf? it's getting really fucking annoying. I have been thinking about killing myself almost everyday for the last few weeks, which is odd since its usually not that frequent. no worries though, im not living for life, just to not hurt people and science ofc ;) oddly i swear this started when i began to train myself to be ambidextrous idk..

Archer

slightly inebriated
Local time
Today 1:13 AM
-->
Well if you're suicidal it's probably a good thing you lack motivation. Kidding.

A lot of adults say high school is the best time of your life, that's bullshit. People are assholes in high school. Everything gets better once you hit college. Even if you plan on going into neuroscience in the long run you'll have at least the first two years of undergrad to have fun and fuck around with your friends.

Motivation is tricky, it could be some form of depression but you really do need to talk with a doctor (in person) to figure that out, if depression is affecting you that is.

Eating well (I mean, just getting all the stuff your body needs to function properly, you don't have to go crazy) and exercising on a consistent basis helped me out quite a bit when I was in your position.

What's your schedule like? Have any activities or hobbies that you really love?

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
-->
that made me laugh thanks.
i dont really interact with people to make friends. i dont expect college to be any different. i eat somewhat healthy. anything science related is interesting. I have been exercising a lot. 20+miles per day

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 7:13 AM
-->
Slowly but surely wins the race, or so they say.

I'm taking my time with my degree... Its doubtful that Ill end up funding my masters degree, so why rush?
I could be hit and squashed by a bus tomorrow.

Just try to be as open ended as you can, but whilst still going in some some of coherent direction...

Motivation shit just gets harder as you get older.
I was well hyped up, up until adulthood.

Uni work does my head in because they feed me lies and make me jump through hoops.

My interest is in politics, and I shouldn't have to write 3000 essays to prove that I know enough to know that the current political systems in the west are complete bollox.

Im only getting my degree because the kid me always wanted one... and that it might come in useful for employment across the globe.

Archer

slightly inebriated
Local time
-->
Well, sounds like it's time to get a good friend or two. Having friends to talk to makes life way better.

If you're interested in science you could try working in a chem lab for a bit. A lot of the companies around here hire interns like they're going out of style, you get something to do and cool people to hang out with.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 6:13 PM
-->
Start doing things. Momentum will build.

High school is lame. University is lame. Post education is where it's at.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
Today 8:13 AM
-->
Happy speaks the truth!

Im gonna add that most things seem uninteresting when one is at an early stage in the education. That is simply because one doesn't have a clear view of how things actually work – everything seems unmotivated. But if you pull through, you will eventually see how everything is connected, which is an amazing feeling.

In other words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Start doing things. Momentum will build.
Indeed, I was going to link Shia but I was late. "Just do it". Simple and true.

Start a damn thing, later observe your results, check if you've improved or find new interesting details during the process, this will motivate you to continue.

If you can't do things, lack motivation about everything and your life gets horribly frustrating or stuck then perhaps visiting a life-coach, or going to therapy and diagnosing could help. I see a lot of unhealthy and self-defeating laziness in INTP's which could be borderline depression.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I lack motivation a lot of the time. You don't actually need motivation to achieve anything. Nor do you need it to drag yourself out of bed to fulfill your obligations.

Personally, I've found that the less free-time I have, the more motivated I am to squeeze the most out of it.

It's like the difference between unemployment and vacation.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Today 12:13 AM
-->
Simple achievement really just amounts to shit. Anyone can do it for any reason. I just achieved making my daily salad, yay for me.

But find something you like, and motivation will follow, naturally.

Question is what do you like?

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
-->
Simple achievement really just amounts to shit. Anyone can do it for any reason. I just achieved making my daily salad, yay for me.

But find something you like, and motivation will follow, naturally.

Question is what do you like?
anything academic requires some boring bs to do.
i have no problem doing things i like. its the other stuff im supposed to do. its hard to get anything done when you dont really care what happens in the end.

Crux_Cheetah

QuirkyNerd
Local time
-->
for the last few years my lack of motivation has gotten really bad, and is currently getting much worse. barely have the motivation to pass high school. i wanted to do neuroscience, but knowing all the uninteresting things that go with getting a degree sounds impossible. is this depression,laziness,wtf? it's getting really fucking annoying. I have been thinking about killing myself almost everyday for the last few weeks, which is odd since its usually not that frequent. no worries though, im not living for life, just to not hurt people and science ofc ;) oddly i swear this started when i began to train myself to be ambidextrous idk..
I trained myself to be ambidextrous too. :)
Well yeah, I guess it's just the lack of new ideas. I usually just drop everything down to be happy when I feel this way. I just seem to not care about anything until I'm happy, then when I'm happy I can actually do stuff with motivation again.

Top Bottom