• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Looking for interesting sports.

Thurlor

Nutter
Local time
Today 9:08 PM
-->
I've never been a big fan of sports (probably because I'm not good at any), but lately I've been searching for sports that allow unusual/atypical plays without everyone instantly accusing the player of a lack of sportsmanship. I want to see a sport where 'thinking out of the box' is rewarded. I'm not really concerened about the 'spirit' of the game, instead I want to see unusual and interesting plays.

My daughters both used to play netball and I can remember asking them why their team didn't form a circle and walk the ball across the court. The look of horror on their faces was priceless. The same would apply to all team sports. Why not form an impenetrable ring of players?

Also, is anyone aware of any sports players that were deemed 'too good' to be allowed to compete? The only one I can think of is the horse Phar Lapp who was forced to carry extra weight to try to limit the ability gap. What I wouldn't give to see weighted human races.

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
Today 6:08 AM
-->
American football, maybe. It's pretty varied and complex as it gets for a sport. Managing all the players and different play-calling to match an opponent that is constantly trying to change things up and outplay their opponent too is interesting. The best stuff is what goes on before a play and seeing how the players line up and then execute. The best teams can change up plays as they are happening and learn to read their opponent.

But it's a little boring if you don't understand the game, tactics, and strategy; and live games have an annoying amount of commercials, but you can always watch games that have already aired and skip all the commercials, time-outs, and referee reviews. Im actually surprised it ever got so popular because of how slow it can be at times. Usually people just want to watch constant action, but maybe it's the suspense between plays that draws people in.

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
Today 5:08 AM
-->
Hard to think outside the box with any established sport because they are all so well worn. Either that or very complicated.

I second Go as it's really really simple yet has a insanely high skill cap.

Pool ( anycue ball derivatives like snooker too) is also quite simple and easy to follow at any skill level. Master of manipulating physics is what those pros are.

Card games also are exciting, of any kind really but poker card use if the most common of course. Don't gamble

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 7:38 PM
-->
I share your perspective on sportmanship and acceptable strategy. Play to win within the agreed upon rules, and if it's not ruled against then it's legit. Sometimes this breaks the game and makes it unfun or possibly dangerous, this means there's a flaw in the ruleset, not the player.

Top Bottom