• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

let's type the characters of book "one flew over the cuckoo's nest"

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 5:36 AM
-->
i shall type the four main characters i have discerned so far (i'm one third in)

the chief is an ISFP
mcmurphy is an ENTP
miss ratched is an ENTJ
harding is an INTP or ISTJ

what do you think of these and other characters in the book?

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today 4:36 AM
-->
whats N bout Mcmurphy? Seems more likely to be an ESTP, and even ESFP before ENTP.

Whats N bout miss ratched? Seems more likely to be an ESTJ

who's harding I don't remember the guy? Is he the stutterer?

Chief as ISFP seems solid.

Local time
-->
Relatively high confidence:

McMurphy: ENTP
Nurse Ratched: ESFJ
Harding: ESTJ
Chief: ISFP
Billy: INFP
Candy: ENFP
Taber: ESTP
Sefelt: ISFJ
Scanlon: INTP
Spivey: ISTJ
Washington: ESTP

Ken Kesey: ENFP

Relatively low confidence:

Cheswick: INFJ or ISTP
Martini: ESFP?
Turkle: ESFP
Rose/Sandy: ESFP
Fredrickson: ISFP
Sorenson: ?
whats N bout Mcmurphy? Seems more likely to be an ESTP, and even ESFP before ENTP.

Whats N bout miss ratched? Seems more likely to be an ESTJ

who's harding I don't remember the guy? Is he the stutterer?

Chief as ISFP seems solid.
McMurphy... The fact that he's there in the first place and how he got there, the great escape, the nostalgic value of recreation, and the perpetual distaste for ascribed authority.

Agreed with Chief and that Ratched is no N, and yeah, Harding is the stutterer.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
Yesterday 11:36 PM
-->
Need to read it first :c

It's on the list.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
McMurphy... The fact that he's there in the first place and how he got there, the great escape, the nostalgic value of recreation, and the perpetual distaste for ascribed authority.

Agreed with Chief and that Ratched is no N, and yeah, Harding is the stutterer.

Seems like typical ESTP ingeniousness to me. The guy is very down to earth as well no? :O

Local time
-->
Seems like typical ESTP ingeniousness to me. The guy is very down to earth as well no? :O
I don't see how most of that is ESTP-ish. :confused:

Something else to look at is his interaction with others. He incorporated nearly every occupant of the ward into his cadre. He also invested in this cadre and gained their perspectives, Chief being the greatest recipient. And the cigarette/gambling scheme... that's just classic. :D

*EDIT: Actually, no, Billy was the stutterer. (Though I think both stuttered/stammered at some point, but Billy was the stuttering virgin who got laid by Candy and kills himself when this is discovered).

Harding was the generally stuck up guy who was the victim of Taber's hotfoot.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 5:36 AM
-->
ENFP is my second choice for McMurphy. being an N doesn't require using big words. the way he's all about getting to the core of things and penetrating veils of deception is indicative of Ne to me. his rapid understanding of people is, too.

as for miss Ratched, i've so far gotten the impression that she's very Te heavy and not held back by an adherence to traditional values like Si would imply. if anything, she's more about an overall manipulative scheme than fixed ideas, even though of course as the supervisor and executive of a mental institution in a satire of early modern psychiatry she'll have a markedly rigid and unrelenting component to her demeanor. overall she appears flexible in her situational awareness and when she's petrified it's by Fi shame not Si fear. but as said i'm only a third in. i'd like to hear your reasons for ESTJ and ESFJ, respectively.

Harding is an effeminate guy, a suspected faggot. he has a hot wife but can't please her, or something. his perspective is astute, elaborate and somehow neutral like an INTP's but that might as well be rehearsed ISTJ tripe from what i can tell. both INTP and ISTJ are sort of wimpy types if they're not properly developed. this man is a wimp, not because he might be homosexual but in the way he doesn't rebel against an oppression he clearly sees.

i'm glad we all agree on the chief. my second choice for him is INFJ but it feels kinda good spotting such a complex and crucial character as an S type for once. the way his subdued yet immersive Fi-Ni dynamic is expressed through delirious exaggeration of concrete perception is simply beautiful. also humorous, non-intrusively. since he's a mute by choice, he's almost bound to be a P and this is utilized fully in the indirect portrayal of him as a spectator (rather than an external narrator).

i think it's a very very very good book so far. i'm not sure i regret having waited for so long. it seems to have a reputation of a "beginner's" book for 15-20 year olds but perhaps i'm imagining that. i sure hope so because it's just good. it's very easy to read while sacrificing nothing in terms of depth and scope; there's a good sense of nuance to the the pacing and the language itself. in fact i might go as far as to say i love it already. i picked it up at the bookstore in a hurry, somehow thinking i was buying "the electric kool-aid acid test" just because i saw the name Ken Kesey. mistake of the year.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Well spoken, having not read the book but instead having based my arguments on shit I read about the book and the movie I saw I can't venture further into this debate.

Top Bottom