• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Last movie you watched

Drvladivostok

Daydreamer.
Local time
Today 11:35 AM
-->
I saw Michael Mann's 'Heat' (1995). Great movie; though pachino and deniro have been such an Icon it's hard to appreciate the character of the movie rather than the actors playing them. Still a good drama/thriller.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:35 AM
-->
you cant watch movies at theater when indoor virus is taking place.

greysolive

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:35 AM
-->
War Dogs - 7/10
Enjoyable film based on a true story - Jonah Hill is great - not sure why, but I’ve never really been a fan of Miles Teller - I still need to watch Whiplash actually...

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 12:35 AM
-->
War Dogs - 7/10
Enjoyable film based on a true story - Jonah Hill is great - not sure why, but I’ve never really been a fan of Miles Teller - I still need to watch Whiplash actually...

I think Teller is a decent actor, I just don't connect with him like some other actors I watch and am often indifferent towards his presence in a film. However, I find him kind of fascinating when he plays extroverted characters like he did in The Spectacular Now (the character of Sutter), I just don't naturally "grasp" that kind of character because I've got an internal world and could far better relate to Shailene Woodley's introverted character. But he's absolutely great in Whiplash, even though JK Simmons got all the attention understandably.

Anyway, aside from the hot debate about whether a teacher as abusive as Fletcher is actually effective at teaching (the movie suggests he is, I've seen various articles from college profs disagreeing with the premise), the movie's rather amazing in terms of the acting of the two leads, plus the music and the editing. Quite an experience. Andrew and Fletcher are also kind of trapped in this sick dance with each other -- a teacher desperate to produce a student of quality, a student with ambition to jettison everything else in his life for his obsession with becoming a world-class drummer. It's crazy-insane the lengths both of them will go to.

I have to say, the last 10-15 minutes is pretty flawless with all the emotional dynamic changes and how this ends. I'm still in awe. And again, I have to comment on the film editing -- just spectacular. It totally deserved that Oscar.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
A scanner darkly . Think its 2007. Robert downey rj matrix reeves woody harrelson . Interesting stuff.

GingerS

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Enola Jones - A mostly lighthearted and fun (albeit slightly drawn out) ‘family mystery‘ romp.

greysolive

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Enemy - A solid 8/10 - A man spots his exact double in a movie and becomes obsessed with finding him.

greysolive

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The Hunt For The Wilderpeople.
Aussie film. Laughs all through AND good acting.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
The Hunt For The Wilderpeople.
Aussie film. Laughs all through AND good acting.
I have to finish watching it. It's a Taika Waititi ("JoJo Rabbit" and "Thor:Ragnarok" among others) film.
And you are right, the acting and the film has been as funny as hell so far!

I am a fan of Villeneuve's "Enemy" as well, although I know the end throws some people for a loop and had me as confused as hell until I had more time to reanalyze the film. Gyllenhaal is great.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->

dr froyd

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
watched "you were never really here"

absolutely brilliant movie, in fact the first time in several years that a movie made an impression on me. Beautiful cinematography, beautiful music, amazing script, etc etc. I really have to congratulate Lynne Ramsay on writing and directing this movie, it is a piece of art.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
watched "you were never really here"

absolutely brilliant movie, in fact the first time in several years that a movie made an impression on me. Beautiful cinematography, beautiful music, amazing script, etc etc. I really have to congratulate Lynne Ramsay on writing and directing this movie, it is a piece of art.
Glad someone else has seen this.

Totally agree with you, it really is art and in the hands of another director a film with this kind of plotline would have likely been far less -- they would have focused on the more banal elements.

I think the only other thing I've seen by Ramsey was "We Need to Talk about Kevin," which visually might not be as artistic as this one but definitely has stuck with me over the years -- just relentlessly stark. I really would like to see "Ratcatcher" by her.

dr froyd

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i actually ended up watching matrix 4 lol. Fuck me, it was even worse than i expected. It's particularly painful to watch considering i was a huge matrix fan back in the day.

It's interesting to think about how much time and effort went into filming the original bullet-time scenes. It was done with much less sophisticated the CGI, yet it looked much better. Like the classic scene where neo does the limbo thing - done by mounting a huge number of photo cameras in a circle around keanu in order to move the point of view at extremely high speeds. Nowadays there's probably some out-of-the box CGI plugin in adobe movie maker or some shit that generates that entire scene in a few minutes. It saves money, but it shows too.

i also recall when they were making the first few matrix movies, they were talking about how they didn't want action to be generated solely in the editing process. That's how you end up with action scenes in matrix 2 where one single cut of a fighting scene can go on for 15 seconds or more. But that's extremely expensive and time-consuming because that means you have to train the actors in martial arts (as they did), and painstakingly choreograph long, complex scenes. In matrix 4 of course they couldn't be fucked with doing any of that. It all looks like just a regular, conveyor-belt action movie.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
7 minute Pixar Film, I like the sound effects on good speakers:

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Stand Up Guys. (Which means someone that takes the blame for what someone else did).
Three old men, (Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, Alan Arkin) go out and do their last crazy fling and then die. Its got whores, break ins, car stealing and shooting, was mildly entertaining, but they didn't care how they went out. Kind of slow really, but the actors were fun to see anyway.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Please do not pay for the movie above, it was pretty bad. Shouldn't have even mentioned it. Here is a cool antique wooden escalator, located at Macys at 34th street in New York City. Its still there. Seems like a cool thing to see or ride.

1665414763610.png

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Blues Brothers 2000! Was a pretty good one! All kinds of decent blues artists in this one, enjoyed it!

(I also watched a lot of Netflix series like Dahmer, The Sinner, The Watcher, and New Girl), AND Halloween Ends because I like Jamie Lee Curtis, it was also fun for Halloween thrills.
All were entertaining. Dahmer first episode I turned it off three times before I could handle watching it. But after I got the courage to see it through, it was quite an eye opener. Wow. Makes you see how some types of people and psychopaths see others as objects to own pretty much. But it turned out he was NOT a psychopath? He was NORMAL? Wth?
New Girl is really pretty nice series, I like it. Zooey Deschenel is fun.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:05 PM
-->
Haven't seen the series, but he wasn't "normal". He had multiple diagnoses, even if he was considered legally sane.

I would take any assertion that a serial killer is normal as either a failure of the asserter or of psychology as a whole.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Good to know. Making zombie men to cuddle with, super terrifying.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
i actually ended up watching matrix 4 lol. Fuck me, it was even worse than i expected. It's particularly painful to watch considering i was a huge matrix fan back in the day.

It's interesting to think about how much time and effort went into filming the original bullet-time scenes. It was done with much less sophisticated the CGI, yet it looked much better. Like the classic scene where neo does the limbo thing - done by mounting a huge number of photo cameras in a circle around keanu in order to move the point of view at extremely high speeds. Nowadays there's probably some out-of-the box CGI plugin in adobe movie maker or some shit that generates that entire scene in a few minutes. It saves money, but it shows too.

i also recall when they were making the first few matrix movies, they were talking about how they didn't want action to be generated solely in the editing process. That's how you end up with action scenes in matrix 2 where one single cut of a fighting scene can go on for 15 seconds or more. But that's extremely expensive and time-consuming because that means you have to train the actors in martial arts (as they did), and painstakingly choreograph long, complex scenes. In matrix 4 of course they couldn't be fucked with doing any of that. It all looks like just a regular, conveyor-belt action movie.
It sounds like you missed the point.

The gist was that the studio was planning to make a movie regardless, and the Wachowskis didn't really want to make another, but figured it would be better if they did it so that the property wasn't trivialized and butchered by the studio for money. This subtext is even clumsily mentioned in the dialogue a few times on-screen.

So Lana basically subverted the expectations for the film and made something completely different -- in the process capping things off so nothing else would be done with it, unless it's completely new characters and setting. It was kind of a polite "fuck off" to the studio and also to give Trinity a more equitable read/role rather than just being a supporting character to Neo (considering how essential she was in the original trilogy while ultimately still serving as just a supporting character to get Neo into position). Coming away from this film, it's clear Neo and Trinity are a gestalt of sorts and on equal footing.

The film really didn't care much about action sequences and they were superfluous to the actual story being told, they only existed mostly to give SOME feeling of continuity but they were no longer the main focus like maybe they were in the first two films. (Matrix Reloaded was really a linear plot driven action-full film in comparison to the other two; Matrix was more philosophical, Matrix Revolutions more spiritual.)

All that being said, I can't say I enjoyed Matrix 4 enough to watch it multiple times. It feels more like an epilogue than a separate film, kind of like when Lindqvist (author of "Let the Right One In") wrote a short story later than acts as an epilogue piece to the novel without really intersecting much with the original novel or themes. There's not as much that is interesting from any standpoint, it's more about creating a sense of closure for the characters of Trinity and Neo and giving them some kind of a "happy ending" so the book can just be shut.

dr froyd

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@Jennywocky yeah someone told me that backstory the other day, it certainly provides an entirely new perspective on it

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Can see something new every time you watch. Very fast conversation so there is so much to absorb.

Classic Film Noir, The Lady from Shanghai.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
There are five or six versions of A Christmas Carol, here is a different one by Rod Serling:

Also, National Geographics series on Trafficking is fascinating, it covers different kinds of trafficking, not just drugs or sex.
Examples:
Some motorcycle gangs work WITH the Mexican cartel because cops don't bother those gangs and they are perfect partners.
Shipping containers going to other countries only get 1 percent inspections, and a lot of thefts of brand new mercedez and lotus are actually directly shipped overseas to tycoons in
jaw dropping numbers, ie, New York City has so many car thefts nobody can keep up with it, its just physically impossible to control those numbers. Just 3% are ever recovered and they don't send the car back to its owner, since insurance companies pay the car owner, so the insurance company gets the cars they find! They only bother with brand new shiny models too and its shockingly fast and easy to steal the cars with electronic systems with some fancy gadget they have. Thieves can and do get shot at, but if it only takes 6 seconds to take over a locked car, most are long gone before anyone even looking directly at them can do anything.

A type of fish in Mexico that is nearly fished out - people in China pay 40k for one fish just for its bladder which has healing properties in it.
White nationalists and how they work, or drugs, it was all very interesting.
That is a good series to learn a lot from.

This was a different show on National Geographic:

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Both were in my jr and high school. We weren't friends, but The Foxcatcher shows this tragic story on Starz channel:

Dave Schultz (on left, with his brother Mark) was born and raised in Palo Alto. As a young child he was a little chubby and was often bullied at school by classmates who nicknamed him "Pudge" because of his weight and appearance. He also suffered from dyslexia, which many of his teachers mistook for mental disabilities. Schultz began wrestling in junior high school, and would win both his first national and international wrestling titles in 1977 – the same year he had become a state champion as a senior at Palo Alto High School. As a high school senior he pinned 2-time NCAA champion and NCAA "Outstanding Wrestler" Chuck Yagla at the Great Plains Championships. He became a seven-time World and Olympic medalist. Together, Dave and Mark Schultz, along with the Banach brothers, were the first American brothers to each win gold medals in the same Olympics, and likewise the only American brothers to win World and Olympic Championships. Dave also trained renowned 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle to be a wrestler. While training in Pennsylvania for another Olympic bid, Dave was shot and killed on January 26, 1996 by the team's sponsor, John Eleuthère duPont. A member of the wealthy duPont family.
In 2014, a Golden Globe and Academy Award nominated film "Foxcatcher" told the story... but also in 2014, and timed to coincide with the release of the feature film, Mark Schultz's autobiography of the same name told a broader story and differed on many accounts.
1676198027578.png

I remember them when they looked like this in high school:
1676198383982.png

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Binging on Clarkson Farm now, holy moly, what a series. Will bring a new appreciation to how hard it can be to farm.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Its long, but its about microbiomes and health:.
Dr. Sabine Hazan says: The Gut Bacteria That’s Missing in People Who Get Severe COVID is Bifidabacteria.
She says much more, its a good thing to be aware of.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Its about the bad health insurance options in the USA:

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
A skit on the history of oil.

LewisPatrick

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I couldn't believe it was this movie
i just remember i downloaded the song piosenki na telefon the soundtrack of that movie

LOGICZOMBIE

welcome to thought club
Local time
Yesterday 11:35 PM
-->
I saw a thread like this at reelviews.net and I thought it was pretty cool. Just talk about the last film you saw prior to posting, what you thought of it, etc.

I saw Cast Away (2000) about a week ago. I really enjoyed it; it was very compelling and believable.

LOGICZOMBIE

welcome to thought club
Local time
Yesterday 11:35 PM
-->
I watched Inception last night.

I'm pretty sure Nolan is a TP, and (N)TPs really seem to resonate with his movies.

I won't go into a full review here, but it was definitely worth seeing and now my brain is trying to puzzle through all the intricacies of the plot... it's one of those that could be worth a second watch, just to get a firm handle on what happened and why. I really enjoyed it.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Glad you liked the oil history skit!

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->

Basically, UFO has a stigma attached to it and they want to change the study to call them UAPs.
And have a way for pilots and people to report sightings without feeling like they are going to get fired or rejected.

Drvladivostok

Daydreamer.
Local time
-->
The Last of the Mohicans directed by Michael Mann.

A pretty kino movie, 9,5/10. Highly recomended, the setting which is the American Theatre of the Seven Years War is something that's rarely known, something about historical epics in the 17th-19th century just make me have a soft spot for them.

dr froyd

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i watched a korean action movie called "special delivery" on a plane, it was actually pretty good:

they don't make movies like that in north korea, do they? another proof capitalism is the best

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Really good home made pancakes: 30 grams is equal to 2.5 Tablespoons of butter. Its the lemon that makes them extra good.
Marion has some great recipes:

Ingredients

1 cup self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
¼ cup caster sugar
½ cup milk
¼ cup Greek yoghurt
30g butter, melted, cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 tsp of lemon juice
extra block of cold butter
honey or maple syrup, to serve

https://www.marionskitchen.com/mari...&utm_campaign=RecipeVideo_MarionsBestPancakes

And, this series:

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
This is really interesting, its how to divine what blocks you have, whether they are emotional, spiritual, physical, the different types of traumas or attachments and how to figure it out to remove them. The book that goes along with it is called the Body Code.

Basically, if you touch your thumbs and middle fingers together and interlock the two hands in a chain and hold the fingers together strongly you then ask a question you know the answer to, such as, is my name such and such? Then ask if your name is something else, and try to pull your finger chain apart. If the chain remains strong, the answer is yes. If it weakens enough for them to pull part, the answer is no.

Anyway, I know this might not be everyones cup of tea but if you have questions you want to experiment with, you can try it.

Top Bottom