• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Last anime you watched?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
Today 3:12 AM
-->
Same idea as the "last movie you watched" thread, but for talking about the last Anime show or movie you watched.

I recently watched "Your Name" ...and it's gotta be up there as one of the best films I've seen.

dF17xKW.jpg

It even managed to melt my cold apathetic heart, just a lot little.
It's won a dozen or so awards, including best animated film, and for good reason.
But I'd rather not say anything else; it's hard to sum it up anyway.

Anyone else see it?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:12 AM
-->
I didn't like the body swap theme. It's a cheap narrative trick to add superficial depth to the characters and makes the story too unreal to get me to care about the mcs.

Besides that it has a great production quality and places as one of the better anime films in the recent years.

I saw "Flag". It was decent from the story perspective. Some of the scenes were too contrived or too long and it didn't mesh well with the whole. (Tags: pseudo-biographic, military, mecha)

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Re-watched Ghost in the Shell a few weeks ago by introducing it to a friend. Prompted some good conversation on trans-humanism, and gave me a few oceanic themed dreams for a few nights after. :cat:

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Top tier anime

wow

Very elite

Much drama

So love

wow

Local time
-->
havent seen any in so long
i heard kuzu no honkai is good, so i might get back into anime soon

TAC

Inspectorist
Local time
-->
A few I've watched recently and enjoyed:
1) Your lie in April
2) All out (it's a rugby anime and the humor is good)
3) Another

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 9:12 PM
-->
I haven't watched any for a while.

Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan (TV) [The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.] (comedy about an INTP with psychic powers that tries and fails to not be bothered) Not to be mistaken with the other one that apparently sucks.

Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! (Magical boy anime) Yes... boy...

The others I've watched are far less obscure.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 12:12 AM
-->
Saw the first three episodes of "Is This a Zombie?" on a plane. It's weird and random and funny. But honestly I just wanted to watch it because the main character had to cross-dress, heh-heh.

Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! (Magical boy anime) Yes... boy...

Is this like Sailor Moon with boys instead of girls? ...lol.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
Today 11:12 AM
-->
Silina: We watched Youjo Senki. It's really cute, ordinary clerk turning into super soldier and doesn't become a stupid do-gooder. How Re;zero should have been! Also a certain someone there really needs to have a discussion with a theologian or three.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Saw the first three episodes of "Is This a Zombie?" on a plane. It's weird and random and funny. But honestly I just wanted to watch it because the main character had to cross-dress, heh-heh.

Is this like Sailor Moon with boys instead of girls? ...lol.

Probably. I was told to watch madoka (?) for context and then that one so I haven't watched any other magical x anime.

Well if that's the reason you watched it you'll like this one.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 4:12 AM
-->
I'm actually watching an anime! It's my first one, unless Avatar: The Last Airbender counts. (I watched like 2 episodes of Death Note too, but I got bored).

It's truly terrible, but it manages to suck me in. It's called "Seven Deadly Sins". It includes everything a non-anime watcher excepts anime to have: sexually submissive women-folk, ever-increasing "powers", pedophilic overtones, shallow backstories, and absolutely no sense of timing. Oh, and two theme songs per episode, with no knowing whether there will be a plot-relevant scene crammed in after the closing credits.

I like the talking pig and everything surrounding the talking pig. 5/7 would recommend.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 6:12 PM
-->

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
I'm actually watching an anime! It's my first one, unless Avatar: The Last Airbender counts. (I watched like 2 episodes of Death Note too, but I got bored).

It's truly terrible, but it manages to suck me in. It's called "Seven Deadly Sins". It includes everything a non-anime watcher excepts anime to have: sexually submissive women-folk, ever-increasing "powers", pedophilic overtones, shallow backstories, and absolutely no sense of timing. Oh, and two theme songs per episode, with no knowing whether there will be a plot-relevant scene crammed in after the closing credits.

I like the talking pig and everything surrounding the talking pig. 5/7 would recommend.

That sounds awful. The funny thing is the most annoying thing out of that list is not knowing if there is a plot-relevant scene after the closing credits.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Dragon Ball Super. I just started catching up and finished the fight with Zamasu and Goku Black. Didn't like that character so much at all really because he was boring and another rehash in character design, which DBZ has always had even conceptually. It can't break out that mold comparatively. A bad example is they already did the switch body stuff with Captain Ginyu, and the fusions aren't cool anymore, not sure if they ever were. They're trying to keep the cast size up by re-introducing characters such as Frieza but they also can't help other characters actually being the same people in disguise. But Black actually being Zamasu was especially lame and not too unpredictable. In a previous analysis I already said the Frieza fight represented Earth vs aliens, so this series is all about vs Gods, which Zamasu was, and Beerus too (I'm not sure what his name is. Bills? Beers? Beerus?). Only thing is he kept referring to them as humans which they aren't, although Goku always thought he was and Trunks is half human. So it didn't make sense that much, they probably were just trying not to get their planet blown up. After that they meet Arale from Dr. Slump again.
But then it becomes time to introduce some new characters. You'll either see similar design schemes or it's a different version of the character from a different time frame or dimension or what have you. For example they'll either be wearing the same clothes or have the same haircut even though they never met, presumably, nearly recycled in design. Well, I don't want to spread rumors or put words in mouth. Even though he's a movie character there's Tapion with mohawk as well as the Kais. The androids were always fairly unique in design. As Frieza was an alien, Cell was just a recycling of everything up to that point, a biological organism and machine from Earth, a weapon. Someone said they could have had him be a movie villain and had Broly replace him in the serial timeline in order to flesh out that development. Whether you agree with having Cell replaced by some other try out sagas or not, Cell himself was kind of random. There was Bojack who Gohan also killed but that couldn't really be fleshed out enough to comprise a whole saga. Gohan had to be there after Goku died, and the Buu saga was just an Indian inspired debacle. Buu and all the fusion characters wear a vest. And then, they decide to keep Buu around to add to the overall cast, as a friendship he made with Mr. Satan.
But there's another trope to be found within his wardrobe, that being his pants. The original one wore tights. Then, he started wearing pants and just copied whoever he absorbed's clothes. Gohan was supposed to beat Buu too but they had to bring Goku back for more audience appeal. He had him beat square for square but Buu was never really that strong, just invincible. He was killed many times throughout the fight but always regenerated, as he could never be fully destroyed, apparently. Vegeta tried when he was Majin but it didn't work, it only took a spirit bomb to fully disintegrate him.
I like the pace in Super so far, it doesn't drag on too much, although they do talk a lot during battles still, something that people always complain about when discussing DBZ. It doesn't happen in DB so much.
So Gohan quit fighting and became a Jew, studying all day and not being very helpful when it comes to saving the world. It's weird that they want to focus on Goku and Vegeta as if they were superheroes. I didn't finish watching it. Gohan supposedly reconciles his usefulness as new challengers get introduced. He mostly seems a shadow of his former self but they obviously wanted to give him a chance for redemption. He isn't using his full power anymore.
The entire series is about redemption. One Piece kept going on forever after DBZ originally ended so they wanted another chance to do it proper which is everything it should have been. It takes place before DBZ ended so it prevents a few characters from getting involved and the reason they become different, as they get older and lose an interest in fighting. They try to make martial arts a thing of their youth before they stop practicing, used to varying effect. I disagree with that use of the characters but maybe they'll get more screen time for redemption, but so far it looks like the series could end early at this rate. May be a shame because it started off promising, with a nice slice of life vibe intermixed with DB elements but without losing the strength of the DBZ household name.
Beerus was just too good a concept so they wanted to see him stick around and are using his power to access all sorts of things about the universe, which is unprecedented. That's all the story is about, Goku getting stronger and fighting. In fact the last few episodes were just excuses to show some fights for the characters, and were kind of boring. But I'll still watch it. I agree that it doesn't seem to have delivered upon its promise yet. Besides Hit, maybe it needs a cool stock villain to hold things over. It shows they aren't relying on brute strength anymore since the time skip is kind of a cheat technique, so it changes the pace of the battles. No one seems to be able to handle it, not even Goku.
In a previous report I said Goku was Fe. With the way the story seems to be headed they paint Goku as a person who does selfish things for personal gain, making him technically villain like. This is probably an aspect of that function, as he does ended up manipulating events through his bubbly personality. However, this is all very predictable. They want to further show he's a bad parent, and are intent on it.
I watched it in sub but need to find better formats for it next time because it's hard to find. The dub is a little bit behind but I want to rewatch it with that. The last few episodes sort of sucked so I'm holding off on it until a while when I can batch watch and binge it.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 4:12 AM
-->
havent seen any in so long
i heard kuzu no honkai is good, so i might get back into anime soon

I started to watch it, it's above average. But I haven't kept up with it, I don't know if it went downhill.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
@Pizzabeak - yeah, DBS seems like it has none of the fire of DBZ or DB. Everyone is friends. Nobody is ever in real danger of dying. It's nothing but playing family, comic relief and some fight scenes on the side. Goku used to have a serious side, but now he's never anything more than a goof.

Finished Tower of Duraga last week after having run through:

- Log Horizon (7.5/10)
- Sword Art Online (8.5/10)
- Accel World (8.5/10)
- Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon? (8.5/10)

It was a 6.5/10, watchable if you have nothing else to watch, but not very impactful or memorable compared to others in the genre. Some cool fight scenes and nice animation, but too many tropes. Dungeon really pulls through in the end. SAO is a lot better than the critics give it credit for. And if it weren't for the ugly/fat main character, Accel World would prolly have a 9/10.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 5:12 AM
-->
So apparently Attack on Titan's second season came out recently. Anyone check it out yet?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 7:42 PM
-->
I'll be watching it the moment I get home. Also Rick and Morty S3E1 came out...

Today is a good day.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
So apparently Attack on Titan's second season came out recently. Anyone check it out yet?

Oh just should probably throw it out there but we probably should use spoilers to in depth discuss anything.

INTPmetalhead

Tommie the metal chick
Local time
Today 5:12 AM
-->
DragonBall. But I keep noticing inconsistencies within the show... trying to not let it bother me cuz it's still an awesome anime though

TAC

Inspectorist
Local time
-->
If you like stories based around multiple characters converging into one overall story, Try Baccano. Great anime, catchiest title theme.

Shieru

rational romantic
Local time
-->
And if it weren't for the ugly/fat main character, Accel World would prolly have a 9/10.

Uuthcnc.jpg

they did it for all those otakus who never leave their chairs. so they could have an anime hero role-model that didn't make them feel inferior by comparison. 's a smart marketing move y'see.

i've been in the process of watching Fate/Zero, which is the prequel to Fate/Stay Night. so far it's pretty good, character development is a bit shallow, but it extrapolates on Christian mythology in a magical sort of way. as such, it reminds me of another excellent series i watched, Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut. (definitely recommend that one, 9/10).

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
If you like stories based around multiple characters converging into one overall story, Try Baccano. Great anime, catchiest title theme.

Baccano is one of my favorites.

Demonic Flamigo

I bet you read that wrong...Flamigo Amigo!!!
Local time
-->

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Youjo Senki

I enjoyed it, but

disliked the ending. I'd prefer an ending and not an open ending that gives the impression the creators want to make season 2 if it got popular enough, but also might not and that was it. I haven't read the manga version, but I think Youjo Senki could've been one of my favorites if they had concluded it in one season. I have difficulty seeing how a season 2 will be anything else than drawn out season 1. I also wish we had more info on the purpose and motivation for the wars. I'd enjoy it if there was some weird plot twist there.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I remembered I saw House of Five Leaves which I enjoyed, even though I tend not to like animes centered around people.

Watched Ajin, which I think would be fairly popular if it wasn't for its style. I found it ok. Not entirely my thing. Also
the main villain fucking lives at the end I fucking hate that shit

I started watching Shigurui, seems interesting. Intro is one of my all time favorite anime intros. I started watching it a few years ago, but I was moving and stuff so I didn't finish

Intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLMKb6QoIZQ

keller520

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Ghost of the shell pretty amazing animated picture.
Highly recommended.

Nebulous

Local time
Today 6:12 AM
-->
Spice & Wolf
Mmm I watched the anime years ago (they never finished it!!) but I found the manga recently-ish and I plan on finishing that. I hope the manga at least is complete, because the story is just so wonderful and it's a crime to leave something so great unfinished like that.

It's so endearing.
The setting is beautiful, it's a sort of fantasy medieval place where paganism's goin out of style and the Church is gaining power & money. There are villages and pubs and market places, fields of wheat, I dunno I just love it.

Main characters: a wolf-goddess named Holo, who wants to go back to her home in the North. She loves apples, alcohol, and being a wise-ass. I love her so much.
And Lawrence, the merchant who she ends up hitching a ride with. He's a smart and modest dude with a ton of self control

Idk I just
It makes me really happy.

10/10 would recommend. The show is really chill compared to most other anime. It's not all annoyingly exaggerated and action oriented
It's just a dude and a wolf chick intellectually arguing about economic strategies
And then the wolf spending all their money on apples for her apple shrine
It's great

[bimgx=400]http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/990/798/e83.png[/bimgx]

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Currently watching Promised Neverland and the latest season of jojo.

Promised neverland has some meh elements and some wonder what happens elements.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
-->

Symbolism in this anime runs deep

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
full metal alchemist