• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Lars von Trier

Andy

Local time
Today 6:16 AM
-->
So I just watched Dogville for the first time and...

Holy fucking shit that was genius.

I didn't like the set and theatrical approach at first and thought it's trying way too hard to be original, but as I learned more about the characters it stopped worrying me and the ending hit me so hard, one of the most powerful scenes I've ever seen. When a film successfully convinces you it's a good thing to SPOILERS slaughter a whole town including children /SPOILERS you know it's doing something right. In retrospective I think the minimalistic set was quite clever, it managed to capture how in a small village people can see into each other's lives and the film is about the people themselves, THAT is Dogville not fences, buildings and trees. Plus I found it fitting how the only thing in the main character's house is a bed, considering she was sexually exploited during the film.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
Today 7:16 AM
-->
Well, I just saw Dogville and... Yikes. This might be, second to Synecdoche, New York, my favourite film of all time. I found it really unpleasant and I can't think of any other movies that have had such an effect on me. I still don't know what I think of the ending, I don't know if I agree with Grace's actions in the end yet, but it was surely thought-provoking in any case.

It was the first Trier film I've seen, but I am seeing Antichrist in theatre on... Friday? I can't remember the day, but it's soon.

emptiminded

Redshirt
Local time
-->
His mini series RIGET (the kingdom) - 1994 - is awesome! Unforgettable. One of those rare movies that has good combination of horror and humor.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
(sorry for the necro)

I agree, dogville now stands as one of my favorite movies. I haven't seen any of triers films before (apart from the idiots), but that film caused me to check out his other works. After seeing dancer in the dark, antichrist, melancholia and breaking the waves, I still got to say that dogville remains my favorite. Perhaps his movies lost some of the novelty for me due to seeing them in rapid succession. If I had to list them in order of preference it would have to be:
1. dogville
2. dancer in the dark (I really liked this movie. It's just a shame that some of the male voices was kinda bad. Some scenes in that movie were really heart breaking
especially the part at the end, when she is so scared that she has trouble standing up and has to be helped to walk to the place she will be hanged and when she finally arrives she breaks down again and has to be tied up on that stretcher thingy in order for them to be able to hang her. One can say it's cheep: creating a beautiful character then to pursue to utterly destroy it. This acknowledgment however doesn't remove any from the emotional impact. Anyway, that execution scene was one of the most novel and powerful ones I've seen. It seemed so real.
and I don't know when I'll ever see that film again. It seems that I have a particular liking for films where things go to hell. I can only speculate as to why, but I find that there is beauty in destruction, or witnessing people in hopeless situations, a kind of beauty that I can't find in other kinds of films.)
3. melancholia
4. antichrist
5. breaking the waves

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:16 AM
-->
Funniest. Quote. Ever. This is from this year's Cannes festival. Good description of Riget above, by the way.

What can I say? I understand Hitler, but I think he did some wrong things, yes, absolutely. ... He's not what you would call a good guy, but I understand much about him, and I sympathize with him a little bit. But come on, I'm not for the Second World War, and I'm not against Jews. ... I am of course very much for Jews, no not too much, because Israel is pain in the ass, but still how can I get out of this sentence. ...

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
^Got tired of the whole thing. After trying to find some decent interviews with him most of the results that turned up was something related to the "scandal". Some fiddle thing that got blown out of proportion. As it says in your quote, he mentioned how he said he could understand Hitler, big deal. It irritates me how someone can't try to present a somewhat more nuanced view than Hitler is satan incarnate without there being a scandal and people blaming them for being nazis. Just by me pointing this out, I'm sure plenty would lump me in a pretty unfavorable category as well.
But I agree, in and of itself, it's a funny quote, but I can't find it funny knowing everything surrounding it.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:16 AM
-->
^Got tired of the whole thing. After trying to find some decent interviews with him most of the results that turned up was something related to the "scandal". Some fiddle thing that got blown out of proportion. As it says in your quote, he mentioned how he said he could understand Hitler, big deal. It irritates me how someone can't try to present a somewhat more nuanced view than Hitler is satan incarnate without there being a scandal and people blaming them for being nazis. Just by me pointing this out, I'm sure plenty would lump me in a pretty unfavorable category as well.
But I agree, in and of itself, it's a funny quote, but I can't find it funny knowing everything surrounding it.

Crossing the Jews is unwise. And knowing the details would rob the quote of any humor whatsoever. The random inaneness makes it funny.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Yesterday 11:16 PM
-->
I have heard so much about this man but I have yet to watch a single one of his movies. I shall remedy this.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Yesterday 11:16 PM
-->
So, some two years later I am going re-try seeing some Von Trier. I have Dogville right now. I shall report back!

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:16 AM
-->
So, some two years later I am going re-try seeing some Von Trier. I have Dogville right now. I shall report back!

Depending on what you say, I might rewatch it again -- I still have my copy but only watched it that one time, years back. Looking forward to your input!

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I've only seen Dogville & Antichrist. Both were interesting films that I enjoyed, but I wouldn't peg them as favourites. I can't quite pin it (and I know nothing about him, more inferring from overall feel of the films) but there's something about the films that I can't take seriously. While technically crafted, the morality feels immature, as if made by a spoilt child.

Like with Dogville, I enjoyed it, but I found the twist at the end contrived. It was too much of a sudden character development. It didn't feel like it flowed from the life of the character but was a necessary interjection by the author to make his point.

Also seems to be a clear Marquis de Sade influence. His book Justine is about a girl who on account of representing every virtue is horribly abused and taken advantage of, eventually being executed for another's crime. (Dogville is Justine turned Rambo? :D) Von Trier seems to like taking a female actress and making her go through hell on screen (Dogville & Dancer in the Dark.)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:16 AM
-->
Also seems to be a clear Marquis de Sade influence. His book Justine is about a girl who on account of representing every virtue is horribly abused and taken advantage of, eventually being executed for another's crime. (Dogville is Justine turned Rambo? :D) Von Trier seems to like taking a female actress and making her go through hell on screen (Dogville & Dancer in the Dark.)

Did you see Breaking the Waves? It's basically about a wife who sleeps with other men at her husband's request after he's unable to have sex with her anymore and it puts her through all kinds of crap.

Yeah, Von Trier is typically not kind to women in his movies. It's not like he's never been labeled a misogynist.

Melancholia didn't seem to be as bad that way (although I can't remember now) -- I mean, at least the women had dominant roles and didn't get the worst of everything, it was all passed around equally.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:16 PM
-->
Puffy said:
Von Trier seems to like taking a female actress and making her go through hell on screen

Jennywocky said:
Yeah, Von Trier is typically not kind to women in his movies. It's not like he's never been labeled a misogynist.

Yeah, I think this is the way von Trier chooses to work with the concept of gender-related issues. He just shoves it brutally in your face. He deliberately avoids obvious pushing of morals in order to let the viewers make up their own minds.

Top Bottom