• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

istp as a medical doctor

Faux Sheezy

Banned
Local time
Today 6:20 AM
-->
is this a bad goal for an istp

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
Today 2:20 AM
-->
I don't think anything is quite a bad goal for any type. Differen types will have different experiences and skills. The best question to ask is "Do I really want to do this? Will I enjoy the job and the impact it makes on others?"

Don't be discouraged because of four letters. They say ISTPs are really technical, and that really helps when performing surgery or other operations.

What type of branch do you want to go into?

Faux Sheezy

Banned
Local time
-->
i would like to be a psychiatrist. i'm not even sure how to become one.

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
Hey mate, there seem to be an unofficial consensus that Psychiatry is the ultimate intuitive career in medecine... Seriously, my guess is that NTPs followed with NFPs and NFJs make the best psychiatrists although the job is about the couple patient-psychiatrist, such that one combination can be good or bad, so we need a variety of psychiatrists... BUT the job is mostly- implicitely - geared towards intuition like crazy.(and one of the reason I chose it... ;))
Of course I'd like to be politically correct like "normally well educated and well socialized people are" and say that you should go for whatever you want; but Psychiatry is not for the practical people(you might miss things if you'r too practical, or not feeling satisfied by the day to day routine of sitting and listening...)... and ISTPs are very practical compared to INTPs(I mean Se c'mon !!).
You might check wether you'r an INTP or ISTP first.

I'm currently an intern in Psychiatry and most people who chose it are intuitives(for various reasons), but the poeple who adore it are mostly NTPs(because of the crazy Ne), some people even hate it because it's anxiety generating(or because they are sensors and don't understand exactly the philosophy of the job or the point of the job)... and end up switching after one year. I've also noticed that the job is not very suited for women it seems(most women in psychiatry are kinda dissatisfied, psychology and psychotherapy seem to suit them better..)... because no misogyny intended but women tend to be more paranoid, anxiety prone, emotional, social conformists, less confident, less self esteem yaddi yadda... and psychiatry is like a competition sport that requires your mind to be at its clearest and cleanest.

The thing is, compared to other jobs in medecine, psychiatry is "easy" mainly because it's a young-ish speciality with a lot of " room for failure"... so it's really easy to do the job on an average level... so go for it if you don't mind being average. BUT, if you want to be a stellar psychiatrist and enjoying your job deeply, it suddenly becomes a very hard job.

I'm curious why exactly you'd want to pick psychiatry, what are your motivations exactly?

About med school, go for it... there are plenty of smart sensors in there( just as in engineering) because it's a deeply practical job( the exception being radiology and even moreso psychiatry) although you get a lot of theory.(a lot of theory doesn't mean it's more for intuitives). SO yeah, I heard that the hardest thing for an ISTP in med school is to stay focused all the years during.There are plenty of specialities better suited for ISTPs than psychiatry- mainly specialities who require a lot of awareness from the five senses or action oriented specialities- such as anesthesiology, radiology, Emergency room(E.R), surgery.... basically hands on specialities.

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
To be even more specific; here are the result of a study about mbti types in psychology. The job of a psychologist is a bit different of that of a psychiatrist. WIth psychiatrist tending to be more of Thinkers than feelers; but all in all it's very close.
ANd here are the results:Basically more than 85% of psych students were intuitives( while intuition is supposed to be the recessive function; here in psych, being a sensor is a very lonely experience)....WHat's surprizing though in this study is that there are more NTJs and NFPs than NFJs and NTPs. Things are generally a bit different in psychiatry, but still is like that. I remember while being in med school, my Sensors friedns litteraly hated psychiatry, it was scarry to them... couldn't understrand back then, but here is a numerical explanation lol.
ENFP: 18.4%

INFP: 14.7%

ENTJ: 11.7%

INTJ: 10.7%

INTP: 8.5%

ENFJ: 8.2%

INFJ: 7%

ENTP: 6%
--------------------
ISTJ: 3%

ESTJ: 2.7%

ISFJ: 2.5%

ESFJ: 2.2%

ISTP: 1.5%

ISFP: 1.2%

ESFP: 1.2%

ESTP: 0.5%

ENTP lurker

Usually useless
Local time
-->
^Well, NTPs do not care about your feelings :rolleyes: :confused:
They expect good manners and mind for taking an advice.
It seems to me that the feelery (Fi) manifestations on people could become troublesome. :phear:

Top Bottom