• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

ISTJ Appreciation Thread

Float

Pleb
Local time
Today 4:28 AM
-->
I know many of you have taken a disliking to our fellow introverted thinkers because of their apparent stubborn narrowmindedness combined with a drive to realize their internally organized ideals. Despite this, I don't think they're all that bad. They are the most commonly found type on Earth, which may imply a historic evolutionary advantage of the type. In humans, the most sought-after genes must be those that result in individuals who are able to socialize on demand, rarely ends up in meaningless conflicts, are able to provide for their immediate descendants. These traits are not only desirable by human evolution, but also by human individuals. Let's face it, would we even have civilization if there never were ISTJs?

My father happens to be an ISTJ, and I believe his influence is among the major variables that ensured a stable home environment for me and my siblings. Had it not been for this stable element in my childhood and adolescence, I'm not sure if I'd be as emotionally stable and relatively un-foolish as I am today, at age 22. Among the pieces of ISTJ wisdom my father has supplied me with: [5-8 year old hopelessly confused by love]-me: "do you think I will get married?" ISTJ dad: "everyone who wants to be married, will be married.". In hindsight, this also seems to be applicable in many other parts of life. Another aspect of being raised by an ISTJ is that I've mostly had to discover the most beautiful aspects of Life, the Universe and whatnot on my own, without paternal guidance. On the plus side, I've been urged to study and get an education rather than going for realizing whimsical and mostly unrealistic dreams setting out to travel the world with no source of income.

That concludes my introductory appreciation speech of ISTJs. Thoughts, experiences? Please share your insights, appreciations and annoyances of ISTJs with us.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 11:58 AM
-->
ISTJs are fine ordinarily. The categorisation itself is not damning. ISTJs without rounding however, can be some of the most obnoxiously soulless people on earth.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 10:28 AM
-->
The ISTJ that I know of is quite dependable and hardworking. I won't be discussing abstract stuff with him around but I still enjoy his company and the other stuff that we both like.

I find his Si ways of shooting down my ideas quite annoying at times but at least it gives me some insight on how to refine my theories and plans more.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
Yesterday 7:28 PM
-->
ISTJs are like parallel universe INTPs.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 8:28 PM
-->
Let's face it, would we even have civilization if there never were ISTJs?

Yes. Appreciate. The ISJs provide quite the slave labor.

jk.

I have many friends that are ISTJs, then again I have friends of all types...

but, I love people xD

And it's quite hard to annoy an ENTP...

Latte

Preferably Not Redundant
Local time
-->
I posit that the degree to which it is hard to annoy an individual ENTP is inversely correlated with the degree to which it is hard to be annoyed by it.

My most reasonable/flexible teacher was ISTJ. My mother is too. The thinking of ISTJs I have met have for the most part been organized in a structure that is very easy to transmit and thus receive through language (for me at least). I appreciate this a lot when talking with them. It's like their utterings are very very clear, even when they talk about complex things.

While my mother has her weak sides, her capacity for stability has always been admirable to me.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
Not a fan in general... And the really arrogant ones who populate INTJ boards are the worst.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
Another aspect of being raised by an ISTJ is that I've mostly had to discover the most beautiful aspects of Life, the Universe and whatnot on my own, without paternal guidance.

translation: the good thing about ISTJ's is how good they aren't

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today 3:28 AM
-->
I prefer the typical ESFJ over the typical ISTJ, at least the typical ESFJ tries to be nice

My boss is an ISTJ, he is a grumpy fuck who just cares about making money and his family (in a traditional way). He's sort of nice until you do something wrong whatever it is he always gets angry straight away. I've learned to laugh at it (in my head) but that doesn't make him any less of a despicable cunt who should be drenched in toxic waste and tossed down a sinkhole along with a family of bullsharks.

Local time
-->
I prefer the typical ESFJ over the typical ISTJ, at least the typical ESFJ tries to be nice

My boss is an ISTJ, he is a grumpy fuck who just cares about making money and his family (in a traditional way). He's sort of nice until you do something wrong whatever it is he always gets angry straight away. I've learned to laugh at it (in my head) but that doesn't make him any less of a despicable cunt who should be drenched in toxic waste and tossed down a sinkhole along with a family of bullsharks.

sounds more like a dick than a cunt actually.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
I know many of you have taken a disliking to our fellow introverted thinkers

ISTJs are extraverted thinkers, are they not? Unless you are referring to the orientation of their primary function, of course (in which case, apologies).

Frankly, my own experience has taught me that ISTJs are reprehensible pieces of shit - I've yet to come across one that isn't a spineless little jobsworth. I work closely with one of the buggers; the word 'irredeemable' creeps to the forefront of my mind whenever I have to deal with said individual.

Verily, they represent a great many things for which I have a vehement dislike.

[Insert generic "I'm sure most ISTJs are wonderful people" comment here in the interest of appeasing the carebears]

Local time
-->
ISTJs are extraverted thinkers, are they not? Unless you are referring to the orientation of their primary function, of course (in which case, apologies).

Frankly, my own experience has taught me that ISTJs are reprehensible pieces of shit - I've yet to come across one that isn't a spineless little jobsworth. I work closely with one of the buggers; the word 'irredeemable' creeps to the forefront of my mind whenever I have to deal with said individual.

Verily, they represent a great many things for which I have a vehement dislike.

[Insert generic "I'm sure most ISTJs are wonderful people" comment here in the interest of appeasing the carebears]

Carebears LOL! Exactly: I'm going to use this one in reference to all the manginas and nanny state progressive empathy tyrants!

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
even within the context of this thread I think we all can agree that ISTJ's really need to fucking shape up

Windbag

I am here to wheeze.
Local time
-->
My wife is an ISTJ and we've been happily married for 10 years, with the predictable problems over housework.

I'm not a fan of type bigotry. I'm sure Cherry Cola's boss is horrible. So was Albert Speer, in his own way, who was as INTP as the day is long. And so on.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 12:28 PM
-->
I really don't have a problem with ISTJ's (or any other specific type). Usually people who have problems with *insert arbitrary blanket definition of a group of people who loosely fall under some abstract label* just need to develop a little maturity, as they grow up they'll figure it out (or be forever frustrated at their ineffectual ability to deal with people).

I get along with people of all different types, and I see no reason to single out any one type for disdain (or praise for that matter).

*anti-angst shield activated*

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
I thought I was an ISTJ for about a year. Then I realised that I was much more of a big-picture thinker than I thought, and I decided that I was an INTJ. Then I started to learn about functions, and I came to the conclusion that I was an INTP.

Some people are obnoxious and some people just aren't, but in general, I like ISTJs. They are honest, dependable, and put real effort into their work. For example, I am currently working on a project in school with an INTJ and an ISTJ, and the ISTJ is really keeping us together and on track. I have a lot of respect for ISTJs' Si-dom, but I find that their Te-aux can be frustrating to deal with.

I saw someone say that ISTJs are parallel-universe INTPs. That's quite a good insight.

SW

Local time
-->
My wife is an ISTJ and we've been happily married for 10 years, with the predictable problems over housework.

I'm not a fan of type bigotry. I'm sure Cherry Cola's boss is horrible. So was Albert Speer, in his own way, who was as INTP as the day is long. And so on.

Albert Speer, "ruin value" = Genius.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
-->
I saw someone say that ISTJs are parallel-universe INTPs. That's quite a good insight.

SW

Yeah both introverted thinkers but opposite judging functions, with same perceiving functions. One is more grounded and other is more abstract focused . The ISTJ is linear while INTP is less as well.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->

Actually, that reminds me - I did once have the pleasure (?) of working closely with a self-proclaimed ISTJ girl. Aside from being annoyingly well organised, she was a great person.

She was only ~ 23, though; I'm sure that by now she's matured into the horrendous person she was always destined to be.

:D

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:28 PM
-->
I agree they're not that bad in small doses. And their effect can be grounding. It's ESTJ's that are the real enemy :evil: If they don't like us they will have us for breakfast, having the social nous to make things really miserable unlike the ISTJ who's too passive to do any of that.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
I agree they're not that bad in small doses. And their effect can be grounding. It's ESTJ's that are the real enemy :evil: If they don't like us they will have us for breakfast, having the social nous to make things really miserable unlike the ISTJ who's too passive to do any of that.

i like your usage of the word "nous".

and agreed, ESTJ's are way scarier.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
yeah, that's the problem.

you don't wanna hang out with people who are defeated all the time. they're frustrated and explosive.

Pinion

ISTJ Boogeyman
Local time
Yesterday 9:28 PM
-->
I thought I was an ISTJ for about a year. Then I realised that I was much more of a big-picture thinker than I thought, and I decided that I was an INTJ. Then I started to learn about functions, and I came to the conclusion that I was an INTP.

Some people are obnoxious and some people just aren't, but in general, I like ISTJs. They are honest, dependable, and put real effort into their work. For example, I am currently working on a project in school with an INTJ and an ISTJ, and the ISTJ is really keeping us together and on track. I have a lot of respect for ISTJs' Si-dom, but I find that their Te-aux can be frustrating to deal with.

SW

What exactly is frustrating about it? I infuriated three INFPs on the Internet in one argument, but I'd like an opinion not coming from a hornet's nest right now. :o

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
The ISTJ that I know of is quite dependable and hardworking. I won't be discussing abstract stuff with him around but I still enjoy his company and the other stuff that we both like.

I find his Si ways of shooting down my ideas quite annoying at times but at least it gives me some insight on how to refine my theories and plans more.

I love discussing the abstract with my well rounded ISTJ. It's fun to watch her try to run around tacking down the corners of my thoughts only to have new sectors break loose and require wrangling.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 10:28 AM
-->
What exactly is frustrating about it? I infuriated three INFPs on the Internet in one argument, but I'd like an opinion not coming from a hornet's nest right now. :o

Try infuriating me maybe?

:grouphug:

Pinion

ISTJ Boogeyman
Local time
Yesterday 9:28 PM
-->
Try infuriating me maybe?

:grouphug:

I wouldn't know how. I'm just a blunt clutz who expects others to alert me if a discussion without tone or nonverbal expression becomes about how I'm saying something and not what I'm saying. We spent an hour arguing the what before it became about me being a sociopath. :p

Local time
-->
ISTJs killed my parents, I Will never forgive

literally, metaphorically or somewhere in between?

Geezuz, regardless you might very well have reason to hate ISTJs more than I then (assuming you liked/ loved your parental units). Seems we have at least one thing which resonates between you and I...

ISTJs and ESTJs are my least favorite by a wide margin.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->

The ISTJ in question is very big on organising, outlines, and, well, responsibility.

I am much the opposite, as I like organising things in ways that would look random to most people (e.g. no two objects on my desk can touch one another ), but am obsessive about those internal rules. I have not written an outline since primary school as I lack the ability to lay down compartmentalise my thoughts in that way. I also tend to procrastinate, and, as I mentioned earlier, this ISTJ is making sure that I am on top of my work. Fortunately, my relatively Ne-aux/Si-tert and his Si-dom work very well together when it comes to analysis.

I was just talking to the INTJ in our group about the ISTJ. We both agree that we have quite a lot of respect for the way he works, and regret that it is so hard for us to fit our styles with his.

Feedback? Advice (from someone who knows he's an ISTJ)?
SW

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
literally, metaphorically or somewhere in between?

Geezuz, regardless you might very well have reason to hate ISTJs more than I then (assuming you liked/ loved your parental units). Seems we have at least one thing which resonates between you and I...

ISTJs and ESTJs are my least favorite by a wide margin.

I was just bullshitting, I don't really hate ISTJs all THAT much. But they are definitely my least favorite type along with ESTJs by a wide margin. So we can agree on that nonetheless!

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
ISTJ about INFJs:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3AzeVjeaBN-rgJ%3Abeinghappygirl.blogspot.com%2F2013%2F04%2Fwhy-i-cannot-abide-infj.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

While she does bring some truth to the table there's this general vibe of her sort of picturing INFJs as less socially competent than ISTJs which is delusional.

There's also this:

There is really no way an ISTJ and an INFJ could ever get along on any meaningful level. In fact, I've discovered it is difficult for just about everyone to get along with an INFJ. I found more than one website that listed all the difficulties people had with INFJs and discovered that many of these disliked personality traits were submitted by the INFJs, themselves. Even they have trouble liking themselves. I've listed a few of the difficult personality traits below. (btw, I did check out negative personality traits of an ISTJ and there was one. we're boring. there you have it.)

Even themselves? Lol, that does put things in perspective, apparently it is strange not liking the way you are. Geez Louise no wonder I'm an alien. She did also check out negative personality traits of an ISTJ (Wait she did that now.. like she didn't have that down beforehand?) and there was one (There was a negative trait? Surprise! Wait that is a surprise.. one single negative trait.. something is strange here).
Finally an INFJ strength is that they can get along decently with almost everyone on a shallow level, that's what got me by doing jobs I was terrible at : /

In general the whole article makes for a good laugh, it's only substance residing in the traits listed which ARE in fact INFJ weaknesses. She seems to have randomly mixed a bunch of crap into it which have jack to do with being an INFJ though.

Such as:

-Get very unhappy when faced with ambiguity
-Get moody when adapting weird eating and sleeping habits
-Have awkward silences in social situations until they try to break ice with something absurdedly high minded or deep (because they can think of nothing else)

But in general it's the stuff which implies really weird stuff that gets to me:

-Wall off part of themselves and often don't let you in, even if you're trustworthy and know you wouldn't hurt them

Wait what? Since when are people obligated to let others in? And since when is trustworthiness enough?

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Not entirely sure, but does anyone have experience with I/ESTJ acting all envious or imitative? It seems like they copy stuff sometimes... Since I'd relate that to the Si there might be something oddly relatable about some aspects of it... They also seem to always bring up cash & finances during shameless self plug moments. Also, they probably mention some title they have.. "I used to work at this expensive/high class restaurant" or "I'm a T.A., so..."
If any of this is to be accurate, it's just kind of annoying that it seems like you're being watched and competed with by these people because they're envious or something.
I'm sure there's quite a bit to it though. Someone mentioning they're a teacher's assistant in a certain manner doesn't mean they're stj or anything (you can 'compare' the t.a. that said that to the other t.a.s and see how they compare/contrast). I'm sure some can probably be kinda cool, but some I probably wouldn't hang out or room with. If you employed one they'd be good, which is nothing new, everyone knows that.

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
-->
My dad also is ISTJ, and I don't like him. I can't say nothing more.

Top Bottom