• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP's and video games

Czech Yes or No

Personality is only a small part of your person.
Local time
Today 3:47 PM
-->
Quick question to all. How good are INTP's at video games? Please answer with examples as proof.
Are there certain kinds of games that INTP's accel at? If they do so, then why is this?
Myself, I am good at them. I was ranked 53rd in the world at Black Ops for a week. However, this carries into other games as well.

Proletar

Deus Sex Machina
Local time
Today 10:47 PM
-->
Was a FCUKING PRO on WoW when it first came out.
Finished Goldeneye at 00-agent and the original Halo trilogy, all levels, on Legendary.
I have beaten all Zelda games released on Nintendo until Windwaker. (Yes, Zelda 2...)
Beaten all Mario games until Galaxy, and all the classic Sonic games.

Basically, I'm good against the computer, but bad against people with the exception of WoW which doesn't rely as much on reaction-times as it does on pattern-recognition. I beat the games, my brother beat me. And it annoys me.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Today 1:47 PM
-->
I don't really have any game I'm great at but I generally do very well at them. I'm good at shooters, strategies, and puzzle games mostly and really enjoy RPGs but I would never say I'm great at any of them. I never really play any games regularly enough to get spectacular at them but if I'm hanging out with friends or playing a new game or whatever really I'm very good at picking up on the controls and gameplay in general which tends to give me an edge over others.

For example: I used to play MW2 on PC quite a bit and was actually quite good at it but I had got out of practice with the console version due to the difference in controllers and such. One day I was with a friend (typed ISFJ, if you care) who had the game on xbox and we decided to play each other. He played on xbox a lot and was rather good at that but after the first match or two (they were both really close and he barely beat me) I mastered the controls and won by.... a lot.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 9:47 PM
-->
I beat my brother on all the games I play, and he's pretty damn good haha. Ummm these include any Zelda games, Goldeneye and Mario but for some reason I suck at COD, I just can't seem to adapt to the controls? I'm really good at logic/problem solving games because I just stick at them until I figure it out.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 2:47 PM
-->
My INTP son is quite obsessed with them. He likes the problem solving and adventure games rather than the FPS types. Examples are Portal 2, Roblox, the various Lego games (Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc), and Mine Craft.

I've never been much into games personally, I'd rater spend my time on the computer in better ways.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
It's more like other people in proximity were not as willing to play the games that I liked, does that still count? I mainly preferred Strategy-Tactical RPG's, where characters are like chess pieces. I think I was good at it, especially in Valkyria Chronicles where I achieved victory in the most unconventional but strategically hasty victory. The rest of my plays weren't as exciting though, including the final boss fight.

I don't play anymore.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:47 AM
-->
I think different games teach different skills, after years of playing Quake III Arena I'm a pretty mean combatant in any FPS because I learnt to combine accuracy and mobility, while games like Halo 2 and Battlefield 1942 taught me teamwork and tactical creativity.

I'm currently playing a fighting game called Blazblue and I suck at it, but I'm doing the training mode and practicing the move sequences over and over again, I daresay this game is teaching me to be a better student, the value of intentional methodical repetition, this weekend I plan to do nothing but blocking just to get the timing right.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm currently playing a fighting game called Blazblue and I suck at it, but I'm doing the training mode and practicing the move sequences over and over again, I daresay this game is teaching me to be a better student, the value of intentional methodical repetition, this weekend I plan to do nothing but blocking just to get the timing right.
Never got too much into Blazblue. I'm sure that once you get into it however, it can be good fun just like any other decent fighting game. If I'm not mistaken Blazblue is one of the more complex fighters (?). Let me know if you ever happen to pick up sf4 ae edition, or sfxtekken (even though, after spending some time with the latter, I prefer the former). If you do, we could do a series of matches. Oh, and do you play with an arcade stick? If you don't, I highly recommend buying one and giving it a shot. The SF tournament stick is a great option.
Learning a new fighting game is a lot of work. Everything has to be committed to muscle memory so one can focus on the game itself; matchup experience and reacting to your opponents style and tendencies. I think sf4 ae is the game I've spent the most amount of time playing during the past 3-4 years. I've probably spent closer to 1000 (if not more) hours playing just one character (sagat) against my brother, or online. The funny thing is that I'm still not all that great due to the majority of the time spent playing is against the same opponent (god I wish there was an arcade scene here).

A game of skill, outsmarting your opponent, reaction.. it's good fun. There's nothing like a one on one competition. Loosing or winning in fighting games affects me more than winning or loosing in a game like halo. Not to mention how much of a persons personality can be interpreted from the way they play the game.

Fighting games is almost in a category by itself compared to other video games. It's more like a sport.

Edit: Regarding the topic at hand, I frequently have the upper hand in most games that me and my opponent have spent the same amount of time playing, but I would attribute that to the fact that I've spent much time playing games in every genre since I was very little and often attempted to master, or grasping them. I'm very competitive.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I'm a boss at Crash Team Racing. :D

Otherwise, I'm probably not as good as I used to be as I havn't gamed consistently for years.

I mostly play indie titles and art-games these days, as I find the narrative experiments interesting. The emphasis tends to not be on skill but on the experience of the game.

masterpeez

One who Frequently changes avatars
Local time
Today 8:47 PM
-->
most video games I quit out of frustration or apathy, except for Nethack, the only game I'm pretty good at, but I haven't ascended, so compared to most people that play Nethack a lot, I'm not that good.

Wasp

Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a serious
Local time
-->
When I was younger and played Half-life I was like "Come at me bro, come the f**k at me!" When Portal 2 came out I remember buying it on a Saturday and finishing on a Sunday. I. Kicked. Ass. Puzzle videogames are my forte, although I do play an occasional shooting game. I won't say I'm great at those but I'm fairly good.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:47 AM
-->
A game of skill, outsmarting your opponent, reaction.. it's good fun. There's nothing like a one on one competition. Loosing or winning in fighting games affects me more than winning or loosing in a game like halo. Not to mention how much of a persons personality can be interpreted from the way they play the game.
Play Farcry online, sixteen people scattered across mountainous jungle, sneaking about in foliage with high powered sniper rifles, claymore mines and silenced pistols, now that was an intense experience.

ObliviousGenius

Life is a side scroller, keep moving.
Local time
-->
Quick question to all. How good are INTP's at video games? Please answer with examples as proof.
Are there certain kinds of games that INTP's accel at? If they do so, then why is this?
Myself, I am good at them. I was ranked 53rd in the world at Black Ops for a week. However, this carries into other games as well.

Cool man, what system do you play Blops on and which game mode did you get rank 53 weekly? I'm on Xbox and I am ranked top 100 all time in HC SnD and HC HQ. I'm also top 1000 all time in Core SnD and top 500 all time in Domination (go KoHQ!). My XBL GT is qCODGENIUSp you should check out some of my file share videos, just scroll down the all time leaderboards in HC Search from the top spot until you see my name.

I'm good at pretty much every type of game including sports. I think it's all just repetition because once I start refining my mistakes and making little efficient tweaks here and there over time I get really good. I think INTPs should be good at RTS and RPGs. RPGs are my favorite type of game. Maybe will get some good FF Versus XIII info at E3 next week. (Hopefully:)). Or the new Xbox?? We know Nintendo is unveiling the Wii U.

Ninjamanda

Gunslinger
Local time
Today 4:47 PM
-->
I play a lot of video games. I usually get super obsessed with a game for about a week and then I move on. I like strategy games that aren't team based. I am super into The Settlers of Catan. It's a luck based strategy game. I do enjoy first person shooters. I only like playing online with other people if I know them. I tried to play League of Lengends for a bit and its fun but people are so critical and it makes it harder for me to learn them when people are pressuring me and insulting me.

The games I spent the most time playing were Halo, Skyward Sword, Smash Brothers, Skyrim, Battle for Middle Earth, Left 4 Dead, Dokapon Kingdom and Diablo. Haha I think a really excellent game for us would be Dokapon Kingdom, its on the wii and you can play with just one other person. Its a board game RPG and you choose your class and lvl up on a board game map. The game is different everytime you play and I have spent countless days playing this game.

With Left 4 Dead, I know every map and strategy for each area and it upsets me when my team doesn't listen and we end up losing. I despise repeating the same level over and over again!

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 6:17 AM
-->
I'm okay at some, terrible at others. My mechanical skill is often lacking, I can sometimes make up this with a stronger theoretical understanding of the game, but usually not.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Tomorrow 6:47 AM
-->
I'm okay at some, terrible at others. My mechanical skill is often lacking, I can sometimes make up this with a stronger theoretical understanding of the game, but usually not.

My theoretical skill is my best strength but mechanical is always a weakness.

Czech Yes or No

Local time
-->
Cool man, what system do you play Blops on and which game mode did you get rank 53 weekly? I'm on Xbox and I am ranked top 100 all time in HC SnD and HC HQ. I'm also top 1000 all time in Core SnD and top 500 all time in Domination (go KoHQ!). My XBL GT is qCODGENIUSp you should check out some of my file share videos, just scroll down the all time leaderboards in HC Search from the top spot until you see my name.

I'm good at pretty much every type of game including sports. I think it's all just repetition because once I start refining my mistakes and making little efficient tweaks here and there over time I get really good. I think INTPs should be good at RTS and RPGs. RPGs are my favorite type of game. Maybe will get some good FF Versus XIII info at E3 next week. (Hopefully:)). Or the new Xbox?? We know Nintendo is unveiling the Wii U.

I'm on the 360 and my GT is the same is my username, for anyone who wants to add me. I got to 53rd in FFA, which is pretty good considering that most of the top players boost/cheat their way up there. Nice job with your rankings, my friend did pretty well at SnD in MW3 because he was bored of the horrible spawns that occur in other gametypes. (As in the top 20 in the world at SnD and he reset himself twice, once after about 5 days of gameplay, the other after a little over 4.

MuppetPasta

My shirt is decidedly red
Local time
-->
Anything PvP I can destroy at just naturally. I love seeing people's reaction to being killed/ something happening.

The experience just isn't the same vs AI

Czech Yes or No

Local time
-->
Anything PvP I can destroy at just naturally. I love seeing people's reaction to being killed/ something happening.

The experience just isn't the same vs AI

The PvP experience is gratifying, but is also the reason that I play games vs AI now, people get ridiculous too often.

chatvite

Mudrat Detector
Local time
-->
I play video games to recharge. I need time to do nothing, and gaming is my nothing. As a child, I beat NES games within a few days. I really enjoyed the FF series. Duke Nukem and Quake were fun. I played Baldur's Gate with a few friends many moons ago. I pwnd in Vanilla WoW, got bored of BC, pwnd in WotLK, and quit Cataclysm. These are just a few examples. I like games like Civ and Spore, as well. I still play other games, but I have a one-year-old son, so my gaming time has been greatly reduced.

Akuma

Local time
Tomorrow 8:47 AM
-->
When I was a kid I used to play UT2003 and managed to become better than my own dad. (He must have felt pretty sore being worse than a little 13 yr old)
When I get obsessed with an RPG type game I study it with a passion, game mechanics and strategies, the lot. The obsession is quite embarrassing actually..

Woo, look at the size of my e-peen.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
Halo, the 3 STALKER's and Half Life are mainstays. Have played every STALKER mod I could find. Favorites are Sigourous mod for Call of Pripyat and STALKER Soup for Shadow of Chernobyl. If I had to rate myself, I'd say I excel at the above games due to sheer overindulgence.

But the game that has provided the greatest replay value for my measly dollar is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. I speed run through the vanilla campaigns again and again. I like to time myself, to see how long it takes me to forge a path through the system. Every playthrough I come up with something a little different. I also have fun with the hundreds of custom scenarios I've dl'd over the years. IMAO this game is INTP ecstasy.

P.N. Guin

Redshirt
Local time
-->
most video games I quit out of frustration or apathy,

Me too. I'm playing Crash Bandicoot at the moment, and I can only give it 2 hours max before I start playing it absent-mindedly and then I find myself dying a lot. I don't really have the patience or initiative to dedicate so much time to a game.

Brahma

Maker
Local time
Tomorrow 2:17 AM
-->
It's fine if the game appeals to my imagination. The graphics don't matter much really, but I like the game's music to be apt to the atmosphere represented.

Playing Bastion now, and it totally rocks. The narration is simply superb, and the way the ground just makes itself where you walk enthralls me to no end.

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
My theoretical skill is my best strength but mechanical is always a weakness.

This. Also, I'm good at grind-fest games simply because I'm a no-life.
When i'm actually into a game, I typically get very involved in exactly how things work. For the games I have played for years, I often know exactly how damage calculation and such work. I truly enjoy basic mathcrafting aswell as putting it to the test.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
I usually find very effective ways to use abilties / spells or whatever, but once I have leared the basis of what is the best thing to do, I lose interest.
I have no drive to perfect my practice. This happened with Starcraft 2 for me. I played for about 2 weeks after the game came out - advanced to diamond league then got bored. Cookie cutter strategies started to pop up, and I had the task of learning all the hotkeys for all the races ( I played random because the same race every game was boring).

Clav

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Gaming for me is a mental exercise.

I find a game, learn the system, refine it down to the most effective spec/setup/loadout/strat and then enjoy demolishing opponents for a relatively short time and move on to another competetive game.

A couple games do not fit the pattern:

EVE Online
Counter-Strike
BF3

Those hold my interest, and even when bored as hell with them, I continue playing... not sure why.

Automaton

Aversion To Conviction
Local time
-->
I'm pretty big into varying types of games and approach them in a few different ways.

Sometimes I play for mental stimulation, I'm heavily into the Portal series as way to have a bit of fun with problem solving and puzzles. This is relaxing and enjoyable.

Other times I play games where I can be a part of a team and work strategically. I get together online with a regular group and we play Real Time Strategy models such as Company of Heroes and Starcraft and MOBA's, DoTA and LoL. This is really rewarding for me when I'm in the mood to partake in it.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Sometimes I play for mental stimulation, I'm heavily into the Portal series as way to have a bit of fun with problem solving and puzzles. This is relaxing and enjoyable.

I like games like that - LIMBO might also qualify; I remember Prince of Persia on regular Xbox (or even Zelda on N64) as being puzzle-like as well. Anyway, I picked up NBA 2K11 on Xbox 360 and I might adjudicate it best basketball simulator of all-time. Before this particular title, I highly rated NBA 2K1 on Sega Dreamcast, which proved well ahead of its time (graphically and mechanically). But with 2K11, the developers got the pick and roll right as well as extemporaneous and strategic play calling. The only beef I have is with the turnovers and interceptions. Defensive players are a bit too clever and adept at stealing passes sometimes - like no look, flinging hands in the air from seventy feet away, interceptions. It cheapens the game. But the play mechanics are so solid and the game is so customizable that you can overlook these small drawbacks. I set the difficulty on the hardest or second hardest available and move up the game sliders slightly. And who likes defensive three in the key? Bullshit - cut that off. Anyway, superb game; and the price was right at six dollars!

Nezaros

Highly Irregular
Local time
-->
I enjoy video games, but as much as I like to say I'm a fast learner I'm not particularly good at any. My guess is I just lack the competitive drive and aggressiveness, as determined from one game of Call of Duty during which I was a bit pissed off and did a lot better than usual. Strategy games in the vein of Starcraft which involve a large amount of micro- and macro-management I seem to be particularly bad at, though for what exact reason I couldn't say.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I really haven't deviated from shooters, especially FPS. My next theme would be extreme sports, notably the Tony Hawk series.

Portal, Limbo, BioShock, Assassin's Creed and Mirror's Edge are some of the games that caught my attention for their gameplay mechanics.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
-->
I really haven't deviated from shooters, especially FPS. My next theme would be extreme sports, notably the Tony Hawk series.

Portal, Limbo, BioShock, Assassin's Creed and Mirror's Edge are some of the games that caught my attention for their gameplay mechanics.

Is Mirror' Edge any good? I have been meaning to buy it.

I like FPS, Strategy, Racing and I love RPGs.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Haven't had a chance to play to the whole thing, but from what I did play I say it's worth it.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
-->
That's good enough for me.

Tony3d

Local time
-->
I have found that I am better than average at most any games. Back in the day when Halo was the biggest game around, I would enter tournaments with my buddies that were much more hardcore about it than me, but I would be better than anyone else there, besides the two wanabee major league games we sometimes hung out with.

Those two guys were on a whole different level than anyone I have ever met.

No one really beats me at strategy games like Civilization and stuff. I however, am one of the worst ever at fighting games and such.

Obviously, INTPs do best when they are in a position to think their way into victory. Just sitting there and reacting is not a strong point.

I like to sit there and customize my equipment and stuff to create just the perfect combination to dominate, when in the end, I never really needed to go that far, because I could still have won with just a simple handgun.

I loved playing games like Armored Core back in the day and creating the perfect kind of mech for every situation.

Distant

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm not good at fps-games against other humans, my reaction times and precision can't compete with others. I have completed gta san andreas several times though, and I can enjoy fps to a certain degree. It's important that there's more to the game than merely shooting and killing, such as in the fallout series, which I am rather fond of.
Strangely, I am quite good at SSBM, I suppose it's more because of thousands of hours these last ten(?) years than a natural talent. I love beating up my friends and getting that delightful feeling the moment it's clear that an enemy is knocked of the screen. Ahh...

Strategy games are my thing. I used to play Civ4 a lot, but I eventually got tired of it. Partly because of the time I had spent playing it, and partly my increasing appreciation of realism in strategy games. The latter factor was what lead me to EU3, which I have also spent quite a lot of time with. I have conquered europe as both france and riga, and westernized as Malacca and conquered SE-Asia. I got a warm fuzzy feeling whenever a war was won or a good monarch rose to the throne. My relationship to EU3 started to resemble psychological addiction more and more, so I quit cold turkey. Can't wait to refuel my addiction to conquest when Eu4 comes out in the fall!

I don't play much these days, other than the occasional social SSBM match and chess on my phone while on the bus or other times of waiting. Gaming is fun but it eats up so much time of this short life, so I'm trying to avoid binge-gaming

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
If I'm obsessed with it, then I'm good at it. Never really played any shoot-em ups, so I suck at those (except for goldeneye on N64). I tend to be good at racing games though, never found any Need for Speed tournaments though...My favorite remains mario and zelda games though, which I'm really good at, but they perhaps don't really present much need for skill.

FancyCorndog

Redshirt
Local time
-->
If I'm obsessed with it, then I'm good at it. Never really played any shoot-em ups, so I suck at those (except for goldeneye on N64). I tend to be good at racing games though, never found any Need for Speed tournaments though...My favorite remains mario and zelda games though, which I'm really good at, but they perhaps don't really present much need for skill.
This is exactly what I was going to post.

I won some cash with a 'professional' group who I played some FPS games with. I was excellent at one (where I was recruited) that happened to be the first game I played on the console and at a time when I was very ready to play some shooting vidya games. I was just good at the others.

BluePantsMcgee

Eluding cloud
Local time
-->
I can say that in all games I play (except voor sport games) I always end up in de 'above average' zone. Games where I fall in that zone: Halo 3/reach/4, all CoD, BF3, League of Legends & and a variety of smaller games and all SPs.

C.Hecker88

Lily of the Valley
Local time
-->

I can beat retro games in record-breaking times (namely LoZ: Link to the Past)
I used to be rather good at halo and other modern FPS games until I decided to quit playing them for personal and moral reasons.

I was an above-average RuneScape player before I saw that it was slowly sucking away my life, now I have happily quit for almost 1/2 a year.

My favorite sort of games (besides old NES era hits) would probably be stuff like Risk or Cargo Bridge.

Speaking of Cargo Bridge, I highly recommend it.

Link: http://webstore.limexgames.net/cargo_bridge/index.html

If this doesn't work, I am sure a google search will.

C.Hecker88

Lily of the Valley
Local time
-->

I enjoyed the puzzle bits of it, but it was a rather short game and all of the action parts suck in my opinion. The story was kinda crappy as well.

I paid ~$40 for it a while back and I am glad that I did. It is a unique game that can be extremely fun for someone wanting a challenge.

I would wait until you can get it for ~$20 - $25, though before buying it.

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
-->
As mentioned by others, I totally love RPGs :hearts:

I don't know how good I am in comparison to others, because I usually play alone. When playing against players that practice like every day, I kinda suck though.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Since I posted the above I've joined my kid in playing RPG's and am having a great time. I also enjoy Civ 5. For jollies, or more likely to see how much I can push my computers setup, I'm also trying X-Plane.

Valentas

Local time
-->
Try Stronghold Crusader. Best strategy game I have ever played. :)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Final Fantasy X could be my favorite video game of all time. Other RPGs I have liked are Dragon Age and Skyrim. I suck at shooters and fast paced games but I have always liked the Gran Turismo series. I haven't really touched a game in a while. I was into online poker for a while too, I read everything I could on the subject.

Minicool

The Lazy Thinker
Local time
-->
I being Super Good in Video game. Especially Rpg and MMORPG.

Deep_in_thought

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm quite good myself. When there's a new game that I've obtained...I don't read the manual or watch any videos. I just learn by trying everything out, and doing what seems most like common sense according to the said environment I'm in in the game. 'Civ 5' is one of these that I like the most...as well as 'Team Fortress 2', takes a lot of mental agility since there is no auto aim, nor is there sticky aiming like on world of warcraft, you've GOT to be precise on your hits and determine their next position by their movement, while avoiding getting killed yourself, nice brain workout. I've gotten good at it after about 2 weeks of play.

Top Bottom