• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTPs and Maladaptive Daydreaming

Nebulous

Local time
Today 6:57 AM
-->
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maladaptive_daydreaming#Signs_and_symptoms

"...an extensive fantasy activity that replaces human interaction and/or interferes with academic, interpersonal, or vocational functioning"
"They often have elaborate fantasies within their minds, often comparable to a complete novel or movie."

Do any of you guys have this?
Does this seem like something INTPs would be prone to?
If you do have this, has it significantly gotten in the way of important things in your life?

~
I definitely have this; I've been doing this since at least kindergarten. I actually tried to jump out of a window when I was 6 because I was so immersed in a daydream based on Peter Pan. :cat:

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 10:57 AM
-->
My daydreaming does cause me problems irl, but they are rarely anything to do with fantasy... Usually just me processing past events.

PaulMaster

Local time
-->
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maladaptive_daydreaming#Signs_and_symptoms

"...an extensive fantasy activity that replaces human interaction and/or interferes with academic, interpersonal, or vocational functioning"
"They often have elaborate fantasies within their minds, often comparable to a complete novel or movie."

Do any of you guys have this?
Does this seem like something INTPs would be prone to?
If you do have this, has it significantly gotten in the way of important things in your life?

~
I definitely have this; I've been doing this since at least kindergarten. I actually tried to jump out of a window when I was 6 because I was so immersed in a daydream based on Peter Pan. :cat:

So do you not know you're daydreaming or something?

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
Today 11:57 AM
-->
The Maladaptive Daydreaming Scale (MDS) is a 14-item self-report instrument [...]

I knew they would have a fucking scale there somewhere! Next stop: medication. We have to invent some pill for this.

Modern psychiatry is such a comedy. I can read the DSM for a laugh.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
My teachers in school used to jerk me out of daydreams on the third time they said my name. I would literally be staring into space with my mouth open like the caricature of a daydreamer or a retarded person. I'm INFJ though. I think it's an introverted N type thing mostly. I still do it, skip whole episodes of real life because of this. I used to feel like I had a disorder, and seeing as it's a bit of a handicap it could be classified as one, but these morons nowadays would have medicated the poetry out of William Blake. And I never would have had any problems if I had not been bloody lazy as well as bad at concentrating. In fact, I always did extremely well in classes that naturally held my interest.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
So do you not know you're daydreaming or something?

Well when I was younger and believed (very strongly) in magic, I wasn't aware that my daydreams weren't real.
I genuinely thought I could fly.
Something that's very interesting is that in most of my memories from ages 6-8? I'm like.. levitating. I guess I was daydreaming during those times, and remembered it?

Nowadays I'm usually aware that I'm daydreaming. I mean, I know the difference between the daydreams and reality.
(Although I sometimes forget whether a memory was based on something that really happened or just a daydream.)

But when I get super immersed in a daydream, it does seem quite real. It's really fun tbh

PaulMaster

Local time
-->
Nowadays I'm usually aware that I'm daydreaming. I mean, I know the difference between the daydreams and reality.
(Although I sometimes forget whether a memory was based on something that really happened or just a daydream.)

This is what I was asking - if it was like a psychosis or something like that...or like sleep walking perhaps.

When I was little I would sleep walk a lot. Walked right out the front door once!

Nebulous

Local time
-->
The Maladaptive Daydreaming Scale (MDS) is a 14-item self-report instrument [...]

I knew they would have a fucking scale there somewhere! Next stop: medication. We have to invent some pill for this.

It's not an official disorder, but so many people on the Internet (*cough cough tumblr*) refer to the extensive daydreaming as "maladaptive daydreaming disorder" that it's just become known as that.
I mean, everyone daydreams now and then. But then there are some people whose daydreaming really messes up their life. So people gave it a name, because with a name comes validation and a sense of community.
It bothers me that its referred to as a 'disorder' though.
Having tons of complex storylines you can live in everyday? It's so fun.
/._./

But it is a form of escapism. And if you're someone who has developed 'maladaptive daydreaming', there was probably a reason, such as growing up in a dysfunctional household, having abusive parents, or simply being very lonely.

So people with maladaptive daydreaming could also have other issues going on, such as depression, personality disorders, and other things that could have resulted from a traumatic past.

~
Yes, I agree that modern psychiatry is ridiculous for the most part.
I've seen multiple psychs (for anxiety issues and major problems in school) in the past few months and they're all SO. CLUELESS. I hate them.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
[/I said:

Medication for the daydreaming alone would be unnecessary.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
This is what I was asking - if it was like a psychosis or something like that...or like sleep walking perhaps.

When I was little I would sleep walk a lot. Walked right out the front door once!

Kids do it more for some reason.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
My teachers in school used to jerk me out of daydreams on the third time they said my name. I would literally be staring into space with my mouth open like the caricature of a daydreamer or a retarded person.
I do the vast majority of my daydreaming at home, as my household is very stressful and it's a great way to distract myself. I don't do it so much at school, mostly because of my social anxiety (I wouldn't want anyone to catch me daydreaming.) I do space out whenever the teacher's being boring or repetitive, but that's a normal INTP thing :D
I also used to always imagine a wolf running alongside the school bus. I should do that more, that was so fun.

I'm INFJ though. I think it's an introverted N type thing mostly.
I agree. I know an INTJ and an INFP who do it too.

I still do it, skip whole episodes of real life because of this. I used to feel like I had a disorder, and seeing as it's a bit of a handicap it could be classified as one, but these morons nowadays would have medicated the poetry out of William Blake. And I never would have had any problems if I had not been bloody lazy as well as bad at concentrating. In fact, I always did extremely well in classes that naturally held my interest.
Yep
I'm so lazy oh my gosh it's terrible. The daydreaming is definitely responsible for a lot problems, but it isn't the core reason.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
-->

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Major yes on both counts.
And I don't care, I'll take my daydreams over reality any day of the week.

Same
Especially when I was very depressed; my daydreaming was my lifeline. I wanted to daydream my life away.

Andronas

Local time
-->
Has anyone here ever heard of the movie Billy Liar? If that isn't maladaptive daydreaming, I don't know what is xD.

Humor aside, psychiatrists are trying to legitimize their existence by making all human behavior into something pathological. After that, they come up with a pill, so the pharma companies and them can profit. The patents give the pharma companies a monopoly. The license to prescribe gives psychiatrists a monopoly. Fun fun. The DSM is a load of crap for the most part.

There are some problems people can face mentally that can be delineated and described with accuracy, depression and OCD among them. I sincerely doubt that they are related to chemical imbalances though. If they are, psychiatrists should be able to demonstrate this. They can't, though.

Yes, I ramble. So what?

deathvirtuoso

Local time
Today 6:57 PM
-->
Nebulous, are you me? Because you're so damn relatable /annoying tumblr voice/

But seriously though, I grew up in an abusive family, I used excessive daydreaming to escape from reality a lot. It honestly caused me to waste so much time. But yeah I still need it because life is u bearable. I'm 5w4 too OuO

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Nebulous, are you me? Because you're so damn relatable /annoying tumblr voice/

But seriously though, I grew up in an abusive family, I used excessive daydreaming to escape from reality a lot. It honestly caused me to waste so much time. But yeah I still need it because life is u bearable. I'm 5w4 too OuO

*hugs* wait- are hugs allowed on INTPf? *glances around nervously*

Nebulous

Local time
-->
FUN QUESTIONS:
What do you usually daydream about?
Do you shift character while daydreaming?
How often do you daydream?
What are some cool worlds you have created? (These include any alternate universe takes on the existing world or fictional ones.)
Have you created other characters that are involved in the daydreams? (Besides the ones that you usually 'act'.)
Any cool examples of a very complex daydream-world?

Maybe we could decide on some common vocabulary to describe certain daydream-relevant things.

deathvirtuoso

Local time
-->
*hugs* wait- are hugs allowed on INTPf? *glances around nervously*

Lol yes who cares I doubt anyone here cares too much about rules. *hugs back* it's fine. I think maybe it's just me (as an INTP) but I don't like it when ppl touch me too much? I mean it's fine if they hug me, but I don't like it when they glide their hands all over my back like ugh. Or when ppl randomly touch me for no reason. It's not like we were having a "romantic or emotional moment" We're maintaining a professional relationship and I'm helping u with ur damn Fucking computer why rest ur hand on my back and love to my waist and random places shit sorry for the sudden rant Kms

deathvirtuoso

Local time
-->
I usually daydream about really dramatic stuff. Like manipulative people, pragmatic people plotting against each other blah. The things my different daydreams have in common is usually psychology. I really like exploring different psychological states of different humans. What addictions (lust, wealth, revenge) they are prone to etc. I often like to slowly allow my characters to suffer mental breakdowns etc. yeah I'm sleepy asf Bc of meds but I hope u get my ramblings OuO I rly rly love the complexity of humans but in real life most just seem boring...

I think I'll edit this a few hours later when I'm less sleepy...

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Ye I agree about physical contact stuff
Hugs are cool but other stuff is just weird most of the time. There are a few exceptions, like some frens just seem to need to tap your arm or play w your hair but I usually fall in love with them so they shouldn't do that
//Honestly I fall in love with anyone who's nice to me and treats me like I exist.. It sucks ;P//

Daydreaming- I'm sappy af and usually daydream about my OTP. But like I'll be one of them, and think up some scenario and just hang out w them. It's so stupid but so fun. I can't fall asleep unless I'm pretending to be someone else cuddling their lover or whatever :kodama1:

I spent this weekend sitting outside with Kylo Ren (from Star Wars), drawing and complaining.

Then I have some more complex "worlds," with original characters I've made up. They're all mentally messed up. One of my main characters has BPD, another in a different world has schizophrenia. An older world's main character is an unhealthy ENFP.
And if I spend too much time as one of those characters, it really effects me. Any symptoms of the mental illness that I do have end up getting exaggerated from the daydreaming, and because my memory is really sucky it just feels like all that was me, not my character. Probably not a good idea to do this too often, although it could be useful for writing or understanding other people.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 5:57 AM
-->

Try being someone who medication helps and I think you will have a different perspective.

I am treated very well by medicine and I would be bat shit crazy without it.

deathvirtuoso

Local time
-->
Oh I understand xD. Usually in my daydreams, at least one character will have the face of an actor/singer/idol or whatever they're called, celebrities, ah that's a better word. They'll have the face of a celerity I like. Sometimes their names will remain if it's a random daydream/fantasy. But if it's in my own movie kind of world they may take on a different name. Sometimes I play a character as well, I imagine myself to be one, but with a different name. Sometimes I just create more characters and things like that xD

Yes, writing, but I haven't been able to write for ages. I just can't. I don't think it's as simple as writer's block...

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Lololol I just went out to the kitchen to get a glass of water and ended up spending around 45 minutes talking to an imaginary Kylo Ren
Yay
I should rlly sleep

Nebulous

Local time
-->
My daydreaming does cause me problems irl, but they are rarely anything to do with fantasy... Usually just me processing past events.

Mine's a lot more escapism/ boredom relief than processing stuff. Do you change character at all/ talk to imaginary people? How do you process things in your daydreams? Interested

Intolerable

Banned
Local time
-->
I used to get in trouble for it through academia. From probably third grade until a little after highschool. :p

Yes, my imagination is extensive. That should explain my minimalist lifestyle. I simply don't need things other people need as a result.

I've realized in life that you should only break from this activity if real life can give you something better. If it can't then don't bother.

Nibbler

Being brains, they feel compelled to know everythi
Local time
Today 3:57 AM
-->
OOOOh, yes! I would daydream at the drop of a hat. It became practically Pavlovian in school. Once the bell rang and the door shut, BAM! I was out like a light.

My pencils and erasers sometimes had adventures (with my hands below the desk). Once I found a piece of simple metal segment that became my favorite toy for adventures.

But like a lot of daydreamers, being yelled at to stop being distracted doesn't actually solve the problem of distraction. Instead, daydreamers learn to hide their daydreaming.

Little kid: Outright walking around.
Older kid: Playing under the desk.
Pre-teen: Staring into space.
Older teen: Actively scanning books, nodding and moving the pencil as if taking notes.

I can daydream in the middle of important information (that I want to HEAR!)

Person: "And it's important to hit the [LA LA LA LA] button right when you hear a beep because if you don't [OMG! I just daydreamed through that important bit!... You're doing it now! STOP! PAY ATTENTION! You're missing it while daydreaming about daydreaming! OMG STOP!] and then KABOOM! Got it?"

ME: "Errrr...."

By the way, I'm actually quite intelligent. But a lot of times, in such situations, people who don't know me better come off with the idea that I may be dumb or air headed and then disregard me as such--EVEN THOUGH if my talents were used properly they would greatly benefit but they write me off as unreliable. :mad:

Fortunately, where I work now praises my style of thinking and the great benefits that come from it.

Step2step

Step
Local time
Today 9:57 PM
-->
I just found this website and I relate so much it's scary!! When I was a child I would get confused about reality and I genuinely tonight I could fly and when I tried to prove it my family and it didn't work I didn't know why... I'm always daydreaming, living in my head and creating all these scenarios! I think my teacher thinks I'm stupid now and she has begun calling me a cloud... But I kinda find it hard to stay in the physical world, so much so that I got completely lost in my own head during a test and didn't hear the teacher calling out the second half of the test! :storks::storks:

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I just found this website and I relate so much it's scary!! When I was a child I would get confused about reality and I genuinely tonight I could fly and when I tried to prove it my family and it didn't work I didn't know why... I'm always daydreaming, living in my head and creating all these scenarios! I think my teacher thinks I'm stupid now and she has begun calling me a cloud... But I kinda find it hard to stay in the physical world, so much so that I got completely lost in my own head during a test and didn't hear the teacher calling out the second half of the test! :storks::storks:

OMG are you me
Woah
I don't do it so much at school but the whole flying part is 100% true :eek::eek::eek:

N th n

Redshirt
Local time
-->
OMG, I registered just to be able to reply ! I'm an ENTP, and I recently learned about MDD, and it's so totally me ! (Btw, I'm really ENTP, not INTP, I checked it several times)
But when I saw you talking about believing you were able to fly when you were young, I understood why people around me don't understand what I'm talking about when I say it.
I'm saying this because there seem to be less ENTPs than xNFPs and INTPs suffering from it, so the symptoms might be different : I don't have as much of a messed up life as other MDers. I seem to be a pretty confident, open person from the outside, and I never had real difficulties in school. But I think it's more because I'm quite smart (I woundn't brag about IQ in front of INTPs but I'm likely around 130, even though I need to retake official test to confirm it, the last one was when I was 6) which allows me to space out during classes and still maintain good grades.

So I have quite a normal social life, but with the symptoms of a MDer. I think it's thanks to being just extroverted enough to maintain a balance, but it still bothers me, because I procrastinate WAY to much because of it...

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
I used to dream and daydream of having two bicep bumps on each arm and being able to lift heavy furniture stuffed with things.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 5:57 AM
-->
I used to dream and daydream of having two bicep bumps on each arm and being able to lift heavy furniture stuffed with things.

It takes someone special to be able to come up with something like that. I loled.

wanderingSpark

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:57 AM
-->
Oh yeah, big issue..

when i was younger i would think that all of time could collapse into a single moment; i would be afraid to move into any space that was previously occupied. I would visualize cars in the road stretched out into snaky time-trains slithering, branching, and undulating out into the distance.

I would continually create extremely detailed scenarios and explore all options as an objective observer. The objectiveness would carry over after the daydream; i would think that the real world lacked a quality of "realness". Am I dreaming? Is this my reality?

what really helped to focus my minds lens was martial arts (body mechanics: base, angle, leverage).

Always good to decompress with meditation. Along with the traditional stillness, i use just about anything as a form of meditation; cleaning, hygiene, horticulture, etc...

I still daydream and explore thought patterns all the time.

Overcoming the ill effects...
My quirk to function within society: my future self is my boss. I have meetings with... myself... lol.. progress reports etc.. if functioning within society is my "job" -> would i get a promotion? or worse - be fired for nonperformance? I physically write notes of important things to do in the real world which can only be removed from my work-space after completion. My future self always thanks me with positive emotions and a smile. hahaha

Nocturna

Local time
-->
This is quite interesting, because I've always daydreamed a lot but since I can remember I've also been very aware that reality's one thing and dreams are another. I have not in me one single ounce of magical, religious or spiritual thinking (and often wish I had because I'm pretty sure life would be so much easier, it's comfortable having those kind of illusions).
Back when I was a kid and all the way up to college, I might zone out a bit sometimes but always retained the ability of having a fairly good notion of what was going on. I was quite a good student without actually studying because I could easily recall what had been said in class.
Nowadays life isn't quite on track as it used to be, I daydream in order to escape reality. I've come to need it so much that after a couple of days of being "normal" and productive I need to be left alone to dream all I want. It's become an addiction. I mostly only do it when I'm home and alone because if there are outside stimulus it ruins my concentration and forces me back to reality, I guess it'd be more accurate to say that I nightdream while awake instead of daydreaming.

Top Bottom