• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP's and crying

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 11:08 PM
-->
I just had a strange thought. It's been 4 years since I last cried. It's not like I havn't had any reason to, i've had several existential crisis', there's been a few cancer scares in the family and of course there's work and relationship problems. When i'm sad I just don't seem to respond by crying. A lot of the time I am distressed for a few minutes then I go for a walk and coldly rationalise why I am sad and what steps I need to make to improve my mood. While I think this is healthy, it's almost like I don't allow myself to get sad.

Was wandering if this is just me or an INTP thing?

Btw, woot nothing better to do on valentines day! :p

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Sorry look's like I checked the wrong sun-forum, there's a poll on crying in the INTP sub forum.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Truth is, generally, I don't see any point in crying when you still have food, family and shelter. If you connect your condition to those lacking in basic needs and social needs, it really doesn't make any sense. To feel low when your stuffed? haha!! blasphemous!!

----
Crying should only be reserved in severe desperation or, even better; time shouldn't be wasted on this exercise. Otherwise, your a hypocritical weak failure.

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
-->
please tell me you're kidding, words. please dear god tell me you're kidding.

i don't cry all that frequently. it used to be i didn't cry at all. i didn't let myself.
nowadays i'm more inclined to let the waterworks go when it feels right. (ie, when i'm alone in my room after spending several days without much human contact and a lot of pessimistic introspection.)
and often i find myself wishing i would cry more often. it serves a purpose.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Its a somewhat helpful natural human emotion and suppressing it further will only do worse. The inconsistency bothers but might as well accept it. Though, there is something appealing with those who traversed the difficult road and their experience and strength.

Vatroslav

the Void
Local time
-->
Nah... I don't even remember the last time I cried... it could be an INTP thing...

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
It's more that I never feel the urge to cry than trying to supress myself. I find myself sometimes wishing I could cry, just doesn't happen.

I'm sure you didn't mean what you said in a literal way Words, but everyone's suffering is relative, you can't measure suffering. We can't just say we can never feel sad because out there is someone less fortunate.

Say you had someone who was a spoilt child brought up to have everything they want. If something was to not go their way they may get really sad about it, even if it is a trivial thing to us. We can't say they are not truly suffering, for to them it is severe suffering. It's the same with us and those of less fortune. We cannot devalue our sadness because of their's. It's all relative.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
High standards of living increases fragility?

"hellish" experience seems to be a good "bonus of steel". Choices seems relevant.

-----

I think I've actually felt this "wish" to cry and not the urge. What ended up was forcing myself to cry. It was almost real...on second thought...it was real. Will forcing yourself work? or do you really have to satisfy this "wish"?

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
I've never believed crying has much to to with your MBTI alignment...
Frankly, I cry quite often. It generally comes from tiredness and frustration, but sometimes there isn't even a reason for it. Rationalizing isn't any help at all, it generally makes things worse.

M mother is an extremely emotional person. All it takes to start her crying is a tiny bit of conflict, or even to see someone else weeping. I find I'm the same way. I can't help it, and it causes a great deal of exasperation in my life.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 8:08 AM
-->
Crying is a good way to release excess nervous energy, much like masturbation. If enough is built up, I simply let it out. Why not? Makes you function better. Suppressing it for the stoic ideal seems more irrational to me.

(Ok, there're also longer-term goals such as art, character-building, blah)

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:08 PM
-->
I like to cry. Pretty much for the same reason cheese mentioned. That said, I also don't do it much. It definitely hasn't been over 4 years... but if you'd asked me like a year and a half ago, it would have been over 6 or 7. My parents tell me I was pretty quiet when I was young, and even as a baby, too.

I dunno, though. I also definitely haven't picked up the point of view that it's a weakness if you do. Come to think of it, it's probably because I don't do it very much that I don't consider it a weakness.... since I always try to fight against slanting my values in favor of my abilities. Hard to say though.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I have found myself unable to cry, for some reason. There have been times when I thought that I probably should, that it may even be advantageous for me to do so, but I can't seem to get myself to actually do it. No matter how badly I feel, trying to cry is sort of like trying to force laughter when there is none there.

Of course, most of the time I don't see much reason for crying, anyway. It seems like a sort of realization that something is out of your own control, so you are overcome with this realization that reality doesn't fit with the way you think it should be and crying is the wish that reality would simply reformulate itself to coincide with ones own mental model. I don't think crying is a weakness, but a moment of disillusionment, when reality shows it's true, cruel face, forcefully tearing the mask away that people cover it up with so that they can be functional human beings.

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
Tomorrow 12:08 AM
-->
Truth is, generally, I don't see any point in crying when you still have food, family and shelter. If you connect your condition to those lacking in basic needs and social needs, it really doesn't make any sense. To feel low when your stuffed? haha!! blasphemous!!

----
Crying should only be reserved in severe desperation or, even better; time shouldn't be wasted on this exercise. Otherwise, your a hypocritical weak failure.

I agree. All suffering is material in nature and can be compared quantitatively. What are all these rape victims complaining about when the serial-rape victims are arguably worse off?

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
-->
yeah, and what the fuck are those rwandans complaining about? the jews had it wayyy worse in the holocaust. NUMBERS DON'T LIE.

ashitaria

Banned
Local time
Today 3:08 PM
-->
I haven't cried since I was, dunno, eight? :confused:

Maybe it is an INTP thing, though in my opinion crying isn't a bad thing, just another harmless way to relieve sadness. And what's the point of being embarrassed by it since there's no one around to see you cry?

But if you cry to get the sympathy of other people....
But if you cry because of irrational problems, super-sized self-empathy....

I hope I don't have to explain this.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Tomorrow 5:08 AM
-->
i cry tho.. sumtimes a year.. often i have this feel that i have to let out, but I cant.... what makes me cry is when my family becomes irrational and apart.

Mary

ad nauseam
Local time
-->
I cry at the oddest things; when people are being irrational and their irrationality affects my life in some major way and they do not listen to reason, or when I get into my 'clinically depressed/OCD' mode. When I'm depressed it's really horrible 'cause I analyze WHY I'm crying and I can find no real reason, and it makes me very angry with myself. Thank god for Prozac, eh? But when people are stupid it really upsets me. Not when people die, or when I'm hurt, or anything that most people would consider WORTHY of crying over.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Tomorrow 5:08 AM
-->

----

you wouldnt be having the time to cry when you are that desperate. when you are that desperate time shouldnt be wasted. right now... i think i am wasting time.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
I cry when I need to, and sometimes I can't really control it.

I lost my job really suddenly. I made it out of my research lab on my last day of work. But when I was turning in my parking pass at the Security office I started bawling.

I heard a (?pseudo?) medical reason to cry: Toxins are put into tear glands, so crying is a way to remove those toxins.

psychic tears!
<3 Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears#Types
Crying or weeping (psychic tears) The third category, generally referred to as crying or weeping, is increased lacrimation due to strong emotional stress, suffering, mourning, or physical pain. This practice is not restricted to negative emotions; many people cry when extremely happy. In humans, emotional tears can be accompanied by reddening of the face and sobbing—cough-like, convulsive breathing, sometimes involving spasms of the whole upper body.

Tears brought about by emotions have a different chemical make up than those for lubrication; emotional tears contain more of the protein-based hormones prolactin, adrenocorticotropic hormone, and leucine enkephalin (a natural painkiller) than basal or reflex tears.

The limbic system is involved in production of basic emotional drives, such as anger, fear, etc. The limbic system, specifically the hypothalamus, also has a degree of control over the autonomic system. The parasympathetic branch of the autonomic system controls the lacrimal glands via the neurotransmitter acetylcholine through both the nicotinic and muscarinic receptors. When these receptors are activated, the lacrimal gland is stimulated to produce tears.[4]

I hate citing this website, but fuck it: http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v15/i4/tears.asp

Cry and feel better

One amazing discovery is that tear production may actually be a way to aid a person to deal with emotional problems. This finding lends some basis to the expression, ‘To cry it out helps a person feel better.’ Scientific studies have found that after crying, people actually do feel better, both physically and physiologically—and they feel worse by suppressing their tears.5
Not unexpectedly, those who suffer from the inherited disease familial dysautonomia not only cannot cry tears, but also have a very low ability to deal with stressful events.6
At the St Paul Ramsey Medical Center in Minnesota, tears caused by simple irritants were compared to those brought on by emotion. Researcher William Frey found that stress-induced tears actually remove toxic ‘substances’ from the body.7 Volunteers were led to cry first from watching sad movies, and then from freshly cut onions. The researchers found that the tears from the movies, called emotional tears, contained far more toxic biological byproducts. Weeping, they concluded, is an excretory process which removes toxic substances that normally build up during emotional stress.

===Important scientific(?) stuff starts here====

The simple act of crying also reduces the body’s manganese level, a mineral which affects mood and is found in up to 30 times greater concentration in tears than in blood serum. They also found that emotional tears contain 24 per cent higher albumin protein concentration than tears caused by eye irritants.8

The researchers concluded that chemicals built up by the body during stress were removed by tears, which actually lowered stress. These include the endorphin leucine-enkephalin, which helps to control pain, and prolactin, a hormone which regulates milk production in mammals.

They found that one of the most important of those compounds which removed tears was adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH), one of the best indicators of stress. Suppressing tears increases stress levels, and contributes to diseases aggravated by stress, such as high blood pressure, heart problems and peptic ulcers.9

Wiki's reference was:
Skorucak A. "The Science of Tears." ScienceIQ.com. Accessed September 29, 2006.

The reference 9 from Answers in Genesis was:
Lael Wertenbaker, The Eye: Window to the World, Torstar Books, New York, 1984.

LorenzE2

Banned
Local time
-->
I cried once, a single occasion: the moment I entered reality through birth. The world I saw once out, inadequate in construction, convinced me to be a man: swearing to never cry. My psyche is strong, arduous with the crucial objective, and only ever eliciting tears in other people.

The tears I have henceforth are in my action, each revolutionary act a night of sobbing. An opportune time to cry will be when I'm elevated in rationality, no longer requiring substitutions which are progressive.

intuitivet

You Know You're Better Than This
Local time
-->
i don't cry all that frequently. it used to be i didn't cry at all. i didn't let myself.
nowadays i'm more inclined to let the waterworks go when it feels right. (ie, when i'm alone in my room after spending several days without much human contact and a lot of pessimistic introspection.)
and often i find myself wishing i would cry more often. it serves a purpose.
This is the same with me. I refused to let myself cry because I thought of it as being weak and childish, then realised making myself not cry was the immature thing to do.
I now don't cry alot, but if I do I cry for a long time (about half an hour to an hour), usually around once every 4-8 months. I kind of get to the point of crying alot but never actually can cry.

WorkInProgress

I use metaphors to show how deep I am.
Local time
-->
I find it way easier to come out of my shell if I just cried. I attribute it to the stress relief making me happier than I would be any other day. Problem is I never do except once or twice a year, even if I really want to.

Though the one thing that can push me over the edge is feeling betrayed by the few people I really care about. :(

Van

Local time
Tomorrow 10:08 AM
-->
I cry when I'm angry. It's really annoying because it usually happens in the middle of some big shouting confrontation, when I'm having trouble gathering my thoughts and I can't explain myself. Also, I have an ISTP friend who does the exact same thing.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
This is the same with me. I refused to let myself cry because I thought of it as being weak and childish, then realised making myself not cry was the immature thing to do.
I now don't cry alot, but if I do I cry for a long time (about half an hour to an hour), usually around once every 4-8 months. I kind of get to the point of crying alot but never actually can cry.

Lucky, i've come to the same realisation I just can't cry, I guess deep down i'm still immature :p

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:08 PM
-->
Reading responses like these really make me feel like an INFP - which I probably am. If you held a gun to my head, I would say INFP; that's a far fetched situation, no?

I have not cried from pain since I was like 10, and depression (for me) is the absence of emotion. I cry usually once a week from music or movies or books that I find moving. It's just another release and not something to feel ashamed over.

Local time
-->

----

Beware or you might drown in your own insecurity. I wish there weren't so many kids in these forums and we could be spared of reading these.

As for the topic, I can't remember the last time I cried. I don't know why it is that I don't do it. When I'm sad just keep to myself and don't talk much and think about it in my head.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Beware or you might drown in your own insecurity. I wish there weren't so many kids in these forums and we could be spared of reading these.
It is subjective opinion. Also, the latter sentence caused me slight irritation and so I suggest improving your "empathy skills". Furthermore, do you rely most of your "people judgment" on age? There is a trend but it's not not near absolute. So, for accuracy, I suggest using another term to substitute "kids". Unless, your definition of "kids" is something else...

Local time
-->
It is subjective opinion. Also, the latter sentence caused me slight irritation and so I suggest improving your "empathy skills". Furthermore, do you rely most of your "people judgment" on age? There is a trend but it's not not near absolute. So, for accuracy, I suggest using another term to substitute "kids". Unless, your definition of "kids" is something else...

1 - And that's a pleonasm. Perhaps you aren't too familiar with the concept of "opinion" but i suggest you look it up.

2 - I wasn't trying to be empathetic with you, I have no idea why you would assume so.

3 - There is a trend, and you are part of it. I wouldn't expect kids to understand it until they grow older, but yea, me and every other adult on the forum can tell "your" immature when you say things like what you said on this topic. I am sure however that you will one day realize how silly a statement it is. I don't, however, expect you to do so now.

4 - I was as accurate as I wanted to be. Immature. Not emotionally developed. Not yet very experienced in life. Kids. Too young. Hopefully get to grow up someday.

----
Crying should only be reserved in (sic) severe desperation... otherwise, your (sic) a hypocritical weak failure.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
3 - There is a trend, and you are part of it. I wouldn't expect kids to understand it until they grow older, but yea, me and every other adult on the forum can tell "your" immature when you say things like what you said on this topic.

Interesting, and here I was thinking that an adult wouldn't see fit to act like a condecending douche bag to people he doesn't know. And yet here you are.....

Well I'm only 42 so what do I know.

Local time
-->
Interesting, and here I was thinking that an adult wouldn't see fit to act like a condecending douche bag to people he doesn't know. And yet here you are.....

Well I'm only 42 so what do I know.

There isn't any other way to talking to a kid that doesn't understand they are immature through the internet but telling them that they'll some day figure it out. You can't have them read a post and mature. It comes with life.

Also, it is getting tiring to watch you type words that you can't spell. The fact that you are 42 doesn't mean anything. Maturity can come with age, but it can also not come. Depends on how we deal with life.

From what I can see of you I wouldn't say you seem like much of an adult in my opinion, but I would think even you agree that calling people who allow themselves to cry even thought the world isn't ending "hypocritical weak bitches" is a silly and immature statement.

Perhaps not, but my idea of an adult isn't someone who has a ballet sumo dancer as a picture representing themselves and uses tags such as "peeing on the carpet" and "kicking your ass behind you".

I would also rather lament your presence on this forums, I would be more inclined to discuss with men who have responsibilities in life and to fulfill them present themselves in a respectable way. Are you married? Do you have kids? What do you think your hypothetical kids would think if they knew their father went around in forums like this?

Man, be whoever you wanna be, it's not my place to tell you how to act, but I don't think you act like an adult. Live your life and keep doing it all, but yea that's not quite my definition of the concept. But if it's working out fine for you, then keep it right up. I've read some stuff by you that has bothered me but nothing like what this kid goes around saying.

The alternative way to dealing with the kid is what Beat Mango did by saying "oh dear" but somehow i'm afraid that doesn't quite get through them.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
Oh crap, I left out an S! How will I live with the shame?

So do tell, how is belittling (did I spell that right?) most of those you've chosen to respond to here a sign of maturity? Could you not make your points without doing so? Do you want your kids to know you act this way on the internet?

to fulfill them present themselves in a respectable way.

Respectable by your standards? Perhaps you don't know the meaning of the root word, respect? You might want to try looking it up. You certainly don't show it and therefore don't deserve any shown to you. I call shenanigans (did I spell that right?) on your claim to be an adult. If you are an adult and you act towards others in real life as you act here then one can only conclude that you are a friendless one.

but I would think even you agree that calling people who allow themselves to cry even thought the world isn't ending "hypocritical weak bitches" is a silly and immature statement.

I didn't see "hypocritical weak bitches" in what you quoted. It must be elsewhere in one of Word's quotes on this thread.

Man, be whoever you wanna be, it's not my place to tell you how to act, but I don't think you act like an adult. Live your life and keep doing it all, but yea that's not quite my definition of the concept. But if it's working out fine for you, then keep it right up.

You are the second little snot nose to lecture me on the appropriateness of my behavior here in the last two months. I must be doing something right. Look at my username fergawdsake! I come here to act-up a little, sometimes engage in a discussion or two and hopefully learn something along the way. If I wanted to be Joe Serious all the time, I'd go back to my old job or hang out with my family. Perhaps when you mature yourself a little, you will realise that life is too short to spend it being serious most of the time. Stop and smell the roses kid.

I've read some stuff by you that has bothered me

So we're even then. I guess that is only fair.

The alternative way to dealing with the kid is what Beat Mango did by saying "oh dear" but somehow i'm afraid that doesn't quite get through them.

One of the great follies of an adult is when he thinks he can teach a kid what that kid has to learn for himself. Just sayin'.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
1 - And that's a pleonasm. Perhaps you aren't too familiar with the concept of "opinion" but i suggest you look it up.

It was for emphasis---similar to "exaggeration".

2 - I wasn't trying to be empathetic with you, I have no idea why you would assume so.

Well, it wouldn't hurt?

3 - There is a trend, and you are part of it. I wouldn't expect kids to understand it until they grow older, but yea, me and every other adult on the forum can tell "your" immature when you say things like what you said on this topic. I am sure however that you will one day realize how silly a statement it is. I don't, however, expect you to do so now.
1. How is it immature? Is it the definition of "hypocrisy" and the supposed relativity of the assumption?

2. How do you know this represents my opinion?

4 - I was as accurate as I wanted to be. Immature. Not emotionally developed. Not yet very experienced in life. Kids. Too young. Hopefully get to grow up someday.

So not based on age? But "Kids" is defined based on (emotional development + experience) maturity?

One of the great follies of an adult is when he thinks he can teach a kid what that kid has to learn for himself. Just sayin'.

What determines what must be independently learned? Based on what criteria?

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I don't really see how IB's "immature" humor is different from turning procrastinate into porn. (I suppose I should add that I'm not bothered by either. Just saying. Oh, and I realize now my assumption about procrastinate must be wrong, it doesn't seem to add up. But anyways, my point still points).

I don't recommend talking down to kids that way, Aristocrat Porn. Can I call you Porn? I'm talking about kids like >18 (or whatever the definition is). It's very annoying, both for the child and we who have to listen to it. Children will understand quite a few things if explained properly. They will probably have better self-esteem as well, when treated with more respect.

Perhaps when you mature yourself a little, you will realise that life is too short to spend it being serious most of the time

I agree with this because --> Link <3

It's too easy getting stuck in a "life is serious" rut

Oh yes, I believe somewhere around here was a thing called "topic". And to that I would say that I did cry quite a bit when I used to be depressed. But other than that, not so much.

Local time
-->
Oh crap, I left out an S! How will I live with the shame?

So do tell, how is belittling (did I spell that right?) most of those you've chosen to respond to here a sign of maturity? Could you not make your points without doing so? Do you want your kids to know you act this way on the internet?

Respectable by your standards? Perhaps you don't know the meaning of the root word, respect? You might want to try looking it up. You certainly don't show it and therefore don't deserve any shown to you. I call shenanigans (did I spell that right?) on your claim to be an adult. If you are an adult and you act towards others in real life as you act here then one can only conclude that you are a friendless one.

I didn't see "hypocritical weak bitches" in what you quoted. It must be elsewhere in one of Word's quotes on this thread.

You are the second little snot nose to lecture me on the appropriateness of my behavior here in the last two months. I must be doing something right. Look at my username fergawdsake! I come here to act-up a little, sometimes engage in a discussion or two and hopefully learn something along the way. If I wanted to be Joe Serious all the time, I'd go back to my old job or hang out with my family. Perhaps when you mature yourself a little, you will realise that life is too short to spend it being serious most of the time. Stop and smell the roses kid.

So we're even then. I guess that is only fair.

1 - Yes, respectable by my own standards. That's the only thing we can judge with, our own standards. Perhaps you have different standards, but I think society would agree with me on this matter, not with you. But again, whatever floats your boat. If its working out for you...

2 - You will forgive me, that was in the early hours of the morning and I hadn't slept working on a project. Indeed he says "failure".

3 - Again, if that's what pleases you, then please go on, as I already said i'm not telling you to stop doing it, although it is on my opinion rather lamentable that a 42 year old puts up such an act. Still, we all have our own judgments on the matter, and for the third time, if its working out for you, then keep it right up.

4 - I didn't think I could teach him that, and I repeatedly said so. That's why I told him he will have to learn it with experience.

Local time
-->
It was for emphasis---similar to "exaggeration".

Well, it wouldn't hurt?

1. How is it immature? Is it the definition of "hypocrisy" and the supposed relativity of the assumption?

2. How do you know this represents my opinion?

So not based on age? But "Kids" is defined based on (emotional development + experience) maturity?

What determines what must be independently learned? Based on what criteria?

1 - I understand that it was meant for emphasis, but it sounds rather bad, so I would give you some honest advice to avoid doing it in the future, even if only at formal situations such as while you are working. Expressions such as "Could you repeat it again?" are a great way of making a bad impression for yourself in such scenarios.

2 - Well, I know it represents your opinion because you said so, didn't you? It's all here in this thread.

3 - Yes kiddo, because there's a lot of people out there who get to live experiences and take close to nothing from it. That's why you will meet a lot of adults in your life who are childish and have inappropriate behaviour for their age. Now you strike me now as more sensible than you seemed before, so I don't think that will happen to you, you will probably learn at a good pace, but you would be surprised how many people out there err over and over again and don't learn from it.

Local time
-->
I don't really see how IB's "immature" humor is different from turning procrastinate into porn. (I suppose I should add that I'm not bothered by either. Just saying. Oh, and I realize now my assumption about procrastinate must be wrong, it doesn't seem to add up. But anyways, my point still points).

I don't recommend talking down to kids that way, Aristocrat Porn. Can I call you Porn? I'm talking about kids like >18 (or whatever the definition is). It's very annoying, both for the child and we who have to listen to it. Children will understand quite a few things if explained properly. They will probably have better self-esteem as well, when treated with more respect.

I agree with this because --> Link <3

It's too easy getting stuck in a "life is serious" rut

Oh yes, I believe somewhere around here was a thing called "topic". And to that I would say that I did cry quite a bit when I used to be depressed. But other than that, not so much.

Indeed what you thought it was doesn't add up, but the real answer is close enough i guess. With a little more effort you would have gotten it.

And as for your approach on pedagogy, then perhaps you could volunteer to explain to him why he's way off with that statement.

Maybe life isn't serious for you, but for some people out there who have real responsibilities and others who depend on them, it is. Trust me on that.

Not that I mean to say that this is a big deal or something to be taken seriously (the kids behavior), because it's not. This remark about life being serious is related to what the ballet sumo dancer is expressing.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
1 - I understand that it was meant for emphasis, but it sounds rather bad, so I would give you some honest advice to avoid doing it in the future, even if only at formal situations such as while you are working. Expressions such as "Could you repeat it again?" are a great way of making a bad impression for yourself in such scenarios.
The need for clarification is bad impression? Or are you judging people based on speed of discernment? Doesn't it depend on the goal of the judger and the one being judged? "Judge for what?" and if you're goal was to make the bad impression anyways...?

Then I have to delve into the question of "True to self or adapt to others?" Which is more "happy" with your principle?

How much should background (age, ethnicity, sex, affiliations, occupation) play a role? It seems relative to the peculiarity of the history but hm..let's see, why don't we judge a person based on one post? (Or maybe the avatar!)

2 - Well, I know it represents your opinion because you said so, didn't you? It's all here in this thread.
I suggest reading further...

3 - Yes kiddo, because there's a lot of people out there who get to live experiences and take close to nothing from it. That's why you will meet a lot of adults in your life who are childish and have inappropriate behaviour for their age. Now you strike me now as more sensible than you seemed before, so I don't think that will happen to you, you will probably learn at a good pace, but you would be surprised how many people out there err over and over again and don't learn from it.

Yes MASTER!!!

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Maybe life isn't serious for you, but for some people out there who have real responsibilities and others who depend on them, it is. Trust me on that.

You can have both silliness and seriousness. Clue is to know when to use what.

As for explaining why people should be allowed to show emotions; I already did that in another thread with another bloke not too long ago.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->

He will learn this once he matures ;)

*Speaking of Aritocrat Porn, I once saw a movie where a guy in a powdered wig was delivering a pizza to this sultry wench and @@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@ @@@@@@@ @@@@ *redacted* @@@@@@ @@@@@@@ @@@@@@@.

It was something I surely wouldn't want anyone's kids to see. Is it where you got your mature name from AP? :p

*note: This is a time that calls for silliness. I say so by decree.

Local time
-->
The need for clarification is bad impression? Or are you judging people based on speed of discernment? Doesn't it depend on the goal of the judger and the one being judged? "Judge for what?" and if you're goal was to make the bad impression anyways...?

Then I have to delve into the question of "True to self or adapt to others?" Which is more "happy" with your principle?

How much should background (age, ethnicity, sex, affiliations, occupation) play a role? It seems relative to the peculiarity of the history but hm..let's see, why don't we judge a person based on one post? (Or maybe the avatar!)

I suggest reading further...

Yes MASTER!!!

I feel as if you really don't "compreende" what i'm saying, so i'll just go with Oh Dear.

You certainly can, i don't recall arguing otherwise. I just think there's a limit to how silly one should be.

bumsyspin

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I find crying to be cathartic and one of the few connections I feel with the society.

When I cry, I don't necessarilly feel sad (and I'm not talking about tears of joy). I just look at the pain, the sorrow, and think of how human I am. I think of my capacity to feel these human emotions and somewhere inside I am glad.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I find crying to be cathartic and one of the few connections I feel with the society.

When I cry, I don't necessarilly feel sad (and I'm not talking about tears of joy). I just look at the pain, the sorrow, and think of how human I am. I think of my capacity to feel these human emotions and somewhere inside I am glad.

Even though your join date is last December, this is your first post so welcome! And thank you for getting back to the topic.

I must congratulate you on being able to do this and not take the more cynical view of life/humanity. There is a part of me that sometimes wishes I wasn't the latter. Granted I can get a little choked up over something I find meaningful but I don't seem to go the distance and just let it all out. I wonder if it is some kind of psych block or if I simply don't feel those emotions strong enough. And I'm not sure if I prefer one of those possibilities over the other.

Adamastor

Local time
Today 7:08 PM
-->
I always got the impression that I kinda of "put my defenses off" (with may be some kinda of crying's inertia) and cried, this has always bothered me, because even though this works decently, it always feel like I am but a imitation of a human, a creature that did it naturally or, at most, unconsciously.

I really believe this, because there were really few times where I cried for real, where this "mechanism" didn't apply without my consent.

Anyway, IMHO I believe if you have some pretty big crying's inertia it is better to decrease it to the level of your peers in your social environment...

Synthesis

Watching the river of Time
Local time
-->
Glad to see this thread got back to the original topic after the...disgress. En regarde to the OP, I very rarely weep. Upon further consideration of the matter, I think it's been 10 years since I've cried (+/- 2). I accredit the lack of tears to my rationing out of an otherwise tear-jerking circumstance. This may/may not be the best thing to do in regards to emotional health and stability; however, I've found that more interesting things can be done in the time that would've been spent weeping. -shrug- Perhaps. :confused:

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
To me, crying is only bad if there are other people present. But I cry more from frustration and hopelessness than just...sad things.
I only try not to cry if I'm in a situation that doing so would have negative consequences (not being able to think clearly, to perform a task put to me.) And I will do anything to keep from crying in front of people. It isn't bad by itself, but it is a very private thing. Vulnerability and weakness, blah blah blah.

DarkGreen

Mmm Tasty
Local time
-->
Omigosh I SO don't cry. I also don't get angry, I hate doing both because it's like someone else is forcing me to lose control and I hate that. I thought I was just um weird?

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I'm very sorry to betray you all guys, but, but... I cried a few months ago... THE SHAME! :o

SePde

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 1:38 AM
-->
I cry when I think people who i care don't understand me..I always try to be calm, I hate crying..but I always do it, especially when my ex-boyfriend say something without even a little bit think about my thoughts, He is an intj...I hate crying but I can't stop tears when they are coming!

It's really one of my weaknesses that makes me take the MBTI test again and again to make sure if I am an INTP!!!!!:confused: and I almost have every intp features..

Top Bottom