• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP Phobia

Artifice Orisit

What do INTPs fear and what fears are we less likely to have?

Physical contact is a good example; I'm not a clean freak or anti-social person, but I still dislike being touched. This in itself doesn’t bother me.

Blood on the other hand is something I have no fear of; having awoken to blood soaked pillows after having nose bleeds as a child. However this is apparently a fear many people have, in school I had such fun showing people a cut (not self inflicted) and making slurping noises. Then watching them faint, its cruel I know, but that just makes it funnier. :D

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Yesterday 11:26 PM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I don't have any real phobias. I have a few things I'm uncomfortable with, like unwanted physical contact, but I don't have any significant irrational fears that I know of. As for "rational fears", it's largely a fear of the unknown. I'm very uncomfortable with any physical affection beyond a hug, largely because it's unknown territory. That and people crying on my shoulder. I have a good reason to fear that because I'm almost certain in knowing that I'll fail to comfort them.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->
Strongly dislike physical contact with mostly anyone except family and closest friends.
Strongly dislike touching my food (with hands), or anyone else doing so (even worse).
Strongly dislike deep water (can't swim) or sticking my feet in non-clear water (that includes the beach).
Dislike being within the close proximity of spiders and similar insects/animals.
Dislike small talk.
Dislike talking over phones (prefer real-life or even better, IM).
Dislike crowded or cluttered, small enclosed spaces.

As for which are INTP-common fears, the physical contact and small talk fears are common. Not sure about the rest, although I'd be curious to know if anyone else dislikes talking over the phone (to the point where you actually prefer conversing in real life).

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:26 AM
-->
Yes, I dont like talking over the phone either. I have to do it quite often at work so its becoming more comfortable. I used to feel... tired after doing it, thats kind of weird. Reason why I dont own a cell phone, the idea of being bothered at any time by anyone is enough to overweight its benefits.

As for phobias, I dont think I have any, I do fear some things but (atlease I think) in a rational way.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
Today 1:26 AM
-->
This phone thing is interesting. I dislike talking on the phone also. My husband and I share 750 minutes a month on our cell phones and we throw away over 200 minutes every month. My husband uses his cell phone for business and my phone is our primary home phone,(we ditched our land line over 2 years ago). I have a habit of letting my phone ring and letting the caller go to voice mail. I answer the phone when I am ready to answer it. I don't understand these people who jabber on the phone all day and use up thousands of minutes every month!

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Oh, I forgot about my phone phobia! I'm just starting to get over that, though I really don't like talking on the phone with friends just to talk. It's kind of unnerving, and I don't like talking into an object in order to communicate to someone. It's just weird to me.

Artifice Orisit

Phones eh? I dislike talking on the phone, but only because it makes me feel self conscious (standing there talking without a visible listener).

Strongly dislike deep water (can't swim) or sticking my feet in non-clear water (that includes the beach).
Now this I can relate to; I enjoy swimming in the ocean but I've constantly got to battle with fear. But once I'm under the water and crawling about exploring the sand the fear goes away. Although there was that one time when I resurface 100 meters out; I swam out of the rip but I’ll never forget it.

Spiders and insects are creepy but I'm happy handling snakes or other reptiles.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
Today 2:26 AM
-->
i hate physical contact as well. it really irks my mom and grandma that i refuse to hug them.

and the phone. ugh. i can't stand the phone. a typical phone call for me: "hi, wanna hang out? ok, cool, see you in a few minutes". and that probably happens about once a week. its about all the phone time i can handle.

and, this probably isn't an INTP thing (as far as i know) but i have a terrible fear of heights. i literally can't climb more then three rungs on a ladder before becoming paralyzed with fear. i know its irrational, but i've had that level of acrophobia for as long as i can remember and i can't think of anything thats ever happened to me to cause it.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 12:26 AM
-->
GRRR I despise talking on the phone too! My calls are always for fast info or setting up appointments, never about just... talking. I'd definitely prefer in person or IM... And in my house, I never answer the phone, which makes my mom go nuts (it's never for me anyway, my friends call my mobile).

Other than that, there isn't anything else that I know of...

Artifice Orisit

And, this probably isn't an INTP thing (as far as i know) but i have a terrible fear of heights. i literally can't climb more then three rungs on a ladder before becoming paralyzed with fear. i know its irrational, but i've had that level of acrophobia for as long as i can remember and i can't think of anything thats ever happened to me to cause it.

Is acrophobia the fear of heights? You probably feel off a couch or something as a baby, go to the top of a building and stare over the side, that'll fix it.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
GRRR I despise talking on the phone too! My calls are always for fast info or setting up appointments, never about just... talking. I'd definitely prefer in person or IM... And in my house, I never answer the phone, which makes my mom go nuts (it's never for me anyway, my friends call my mobile).

Other than that, there isn't anything else that I know of...

The only calls that I ever make are to my parents or grandparents. I communicate with friends through IM or real-life, and I don't answer anonymous calls. I never answer the house phone either - my parents hate how I do that.

I think the main reason why I don't like talking over the phone is because I can never find anything to say. Real-life conversation seems to be much easier.

Agent Intellect said:
i hate physical contact as well. it really irks my mom and grandma that i refuse to hug them.

I'm fine with hugging my close-family, but I just can't fulfill my grandmother's expectations! My grandmother seems to think that I 'don't love her' if I don't constantly hug her and talk to her; she's definitely not much of a psychologist. I think she's an ESFJ or ESFP.

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:26 AM
-->
I can`t think of any fears I have or had - I`m scared only when feared situation comes to me, not before or after that. Yes, I have things, that I strongly dislike, but I`m not terrified by them. I can cross the street while the car is only few meters away from me without even twiching.

All the fears are different versions of one basic fear, which lies withing the mind of every human. Fear of death. If you can shove this basic fear away (or, at least, shrunk as small as possible), then you can`t be scared anymore.

Strongly dislike deep water (can't swim).

Same here - both of disliking water and being unable to swim.

Cell-phones are a real pain.

Grandmas, who like to hug... Ugh. I have one of this kind - and I`m always trying to don`t show myself too much, when I have to visit her.

I hate to leave my house and meet up with people; sometimes I`m thinking about staying in my room for rest of my life.

hikky

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:26 AM
-->
I have a really bothersome and irrational fear of failing to meet expectations/under-performing/being mediocre..

I'm about to turn 17 and haven't gotten my license yet because I still don't want to drive on major roads.. I picked up driving (with a stick) really fast compared to my sister or other people I know.. but I just keep making excuses to avoid major roads, even if I know I'd do fine...
I keep imagining messing up and getting in a crash. I also get all tense when people are behind me, I'm going the speed limit, and they're ridding my tail wanting to go double the limit. Driving would probably be a lot more relaxed for me if I were using an automatic..

Another example is whenever I've tried to develop a musical instrument.. most recently piano.. I dropped the lessons after a month because I would always shake when trying to play in front of people I didn't know, and completely butcher what I was playing. I may have played it brilliantly when on my own, but put spectators around me and I looked like I hadn't even attempted the song before.

I tend to become really avoidant because of this.. I imagine all sorts of absurd possibilities in my head and think I'd rather just not do it.. I find productivity difficult in life unless in a no-pressure situation and doing something I want to do..
That's the only real fear I've ever had.. I can't think of any other irrational fear.. except maybe imagining up awful creatures when I look into pitch black darkness.. but it's just kind of a fun fear, I don't get really frightened by it or anything..

Also, the physical contact thing isn't much of a problem for me.. as in, I'm not uncomfortable with physical contact. That's not to say I'm not awkward about it, because I am very awkward when it comes to physical contact.. I bumped noses on my first kiss :P.
I don't tend to initiate physical contact but it doesn't really bother me. I think social contact in general doesn't work well with me (no surprise there of course), but the physical aspect is fine.

I definitely understand the phone thing, though. My family is always telling me to answer the phone when it rings but I just don't want to do it.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
I have never had a fear of water. I don't remember a time that I didn't know how to swim. Before I learned how to swim the forward crawl and breaststroke I developed my own kind of swimming. It was not very efficient but it kept me afloat and at age 3 that was all that mattered to me. My husband who is an ENTP had the same experience. Both our children who we have guessed are thinking and perceiving types also did the same thing. I believe that the fear of water is a nurture thing not a nature thing but the anecdotal facts seem to suggest otherwise.

hikky

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I have never had a fear of water. I don't remember a time that I didn't know how to swim. Before I learned how to swim the forward crawl and breaststroke I developed my own kind of swimming. It was not very efficient but it kept me afloat and at age 3 that was all that mattered to me. My husband who is an ENTP had the same experience. Both our children who we have guessed are thinking and perceiving types also did the same thing. I believe that the fear of water is a nurture thing not a nature thing but the anecdotal facts seem to suggest otherwise.

I'm the same. There was an occasion where I nearly drowned when I was very young (~3 years old, messing around in the deep end with a floaty, lost the floaty, etc)... but still I didn't end up with a fear of water. I think it really must be a more personal thing.

tmtaylor

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I hate the phone I was so happy when texting was invented or socially acceptable. I have the same issue with my family and hugging.

severus

Local time
-->
I strongly dislike-bordering-on-fear-of fish, centipedes and other such insects, but spiders don't bother me. I actually used to have a tarantula for a pet.
I don't mind talking on the phone any more than I mind having a face to face conversation, but I greatly prefer communicating in writing, be it letters, emailing, IMing....
I fear aging. A LOT. And going nowhere in life.

Aurora

Local time
-->
Fear of failure, inadequacy
Fear of not experiencing everything I want to experience in life
Fear of spiders/insects
Fear of physical contact with people EXCEPT guys I'm attracted to. I need lots of physical contact in a romantic relationship, but I really dislike it when friends or family members want to touch or hug me. Even something like a pat on the back or a friend putting his arm around me for a picture is unwanted and makes me stiffen up.
Fear of blood/guts/exposed organs. I'm extremely squeamish when it comes to blood even though I didn't used to be when I was younger.

I have no problem with talking on the phone with close friends and boyfriends for a long time. For anyone else I prefer IM. Real life interaction is good, too. I don't like emailing too much because I'll read the email, then put off replying to the person.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Small vermin in my bedroom (I'm terrified of swallowing them in my sleep). I don't fear physical contact, I just dislike it when it comes from a friend or family member rather than from a romantic interest, like above. I can't stand the skin being broken by anything, including a syringe for vaccination, so obviously the fear of gore applies. Bodily fluids like phlegm or saliva I dislike, too.

tfa1

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:26 AM
-->
Like Aurora, I fear being inadequate/a failure. I also dislike insects, and have a fear of certain flying ones (e.g. bees).

I also dislike physical contact with non-family members. I once had to hug a classmate of mine, and I put as much distance between us as possible. My family didn't seem too happy about it afterwards.

Finally, I have an intense dislike (perhaps even a phobia) of the phone. I even find it difficult to call people I'm close to, such as my best friend.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 7:26 PM
-->
Small vermin in my bedroom (I'm terrified of swallowing them in my sleep).

That made me laugh!

I used to be scared of flies laying eggs in my ears while I slept.

Actually I'm still not comfortable going to sleep with my ears exposed - the covers have to be over them.:o

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
THANKS... guess what I'll be picturing tonight... :mad:

Artifice Orisit

Go to Thailand, they'd call that breakfast in bed.
Apparently bugs are a delicacy, or "tourist" food. ;)
Personally I'd like to try the scorpion lolly on a stick.

Thomas Young

Banned
Local time
-->
Ye I'm the same, don't like to talk on the phone and I usually hang up even before I've said goodbye which frustrates people. But I hate to talk crap just for the sake of talking its so irritating. JUST GET TO THE POINT OF THE DAMN PHONECALL!! OTHERWISE, DON'T PHONE ME! Fears? Getting eaten by a shark would be up there, or burning to death would be another.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
Burning to death would suck. I can imagine that smelling yourself cooking might be a bit unsettling. I heard a story of a parapalegic who's electric seat warmer malfunctioned in his car and he didn't know he was burning until he smelled it. Kinda freaky.

ChaosTheory

Local time
-->
I also hate talking on the phone just for the heck of it. If they talk most of the time to tell me a story or what happened to them recently, I don't mind at all. Small talk makes me feel so nervous. I feel like I should be saying something, but I can't think of anything that could actually support a conversation to say. So we just stand there silent, and it's extremely uncomfortable.

I also hate when everyone's attention is on me. I don't like having a large amount of responsibility, either.

Thomas Young

Banned
Local time
-->
Totally know what you mean about the small talk... but we shouldn't get nervous or uneasy even though we do, cos we like to talk about things that actually have a meaning. Since knowing that about myself I become more at ease while I watch others squirm to talk rubbish I find it amusing.

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I think I might inherit that mindset... I kind of like it.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
i like that idea too. i know since learning about this MBTI shit, i've stopped caring so much about the small talk in the sense that before, when i saw people enjoying their banter, i kind of felt left out in a way, like something was wrong with me, but really, are those the kind of people i want to "fit in" with?

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
i like that idea too. i know since learning about this MBTI shit, i've stopped caring so much about the small talk in the sense that before, when i saw people enjoying their banter, i kind of felt left out in a way, like something was wrong with me, but really, are those the kind of people i want to "fit in" with?

Yep. Since learning about MBTI, a lot of things have been improving for me. Many other things that were once mysteries now 'click' for me.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I fear cockroaches.

I'm a big intimidating looking guy but you put a cockroach in the same room with me and you will see me jumping on a chair squealing in a high pitched voice.

Calamedes

Local time
-->
hahahaha

I've gotten used to bugs. In fact, the moment I moved into this apartment, I declared war on all bug who are dumb enough to get within arms reach of me. At one point, I was so enraged (and obviously not thinking clearly) that I smashed a bug on my wall and left its exoskeleton... or what was left of it, there as a potential deterrent for future bugs. I've lived here 2 months and I've had to clean my walls 3 times because there was so much bug entrails all over the place. I'm thinking of redecorating, but using the blood of these common green bastards (as i like to call them) as paint... *laughs maniacally*

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Well Cala, you couldn't kill a cockroach. Cut off their heads, they'll run for two weeks anyway.

Artifice Orisit

@-Calamedes
I like they way you think, although personally I'd create a series of elaborate/sadistic roach traps and act like I'm a James Bond super-villain.
Buh da buh the bub baa, badaa, badadaaa (Goldeneye theme)

Raku

Local time
-->
I don't really have fear towards anything in the sense I would avoid it, but I do have some things I'm (very) uncomfortable with:

- Physical contact , hugging, intimacy, kissing someone on the cheeks for his/her birthday.
- Large groups of people, especially strangers.
- Small talk. I can't help but talk about something that matters, or not talk about anything at all.
- Public toilets. As a guy I'm supposed to pee standing next to another guy. Seriously I can't do it. Not that I can't stand there, its like there's a plug stuck.

I really hate to be judged by people I don't know. The last thing from the list might have a lot to do with that, or the other way around. It used to be really bad, I couldn't listen to music in the train cause I'd worry about what other people might think about it. Now I don't really care anymore. I'm still pretty self-conscious but not to that extend

Local time
-->
I have an irrational phobia of buttons. I know-- irrational, how un-INTP of me. But I'm not kidding. It's more of an irritation now, but when I was smaller and my parents were trying to force me into the things, I'd get really upset. That has nothing to do with being INTP, though, and everything to do with being psychologically weird.

My biggest fear, though, is losing control... I have nightmares in which I'm paralyzed and partially blind. A lot of them. Also hate phone conversations... It annoys people, actually, because I don't call them when they feel I should, and when they call me, I try to end the conversation as fast as possible.

Calamedes

Local time
-->
I'm with you on the phone thing, mostly because it inhibits our N's ability to pick up non-verbal cues of the speaker. I would speak poorly of IM, but that appeals to my laziness too much... lol. Is it sad that I've found IM'ing a person easier than speaking to them?

Artifice Orisit

@-stercusaccidit
Buttons? Your interesting, thats a good thing here.

I keep my phone on silent; if it's important I'll read the text. Speaking on a phone for me is just uncomfortable, standing there talking into something on the side of my face.

kellimaier

Local time
-->
It's high in the middle and round on both ends...o
yep..dislike physical contact from any but the closest to me.
Also...I hate phones. I hate talking. Most love this because I tend to look like I am listening.

Actual phobia...I have one that is so stupid...completely illogical...but then most phobias are illogical...
anyway, it is triskaidekaphobia.

kellimaier

Local time
-->
It's high in the middle and round on both ends...o
my place is infested with centipedes. those little fuckers are annoying as hell, and fast.

AHHHHHH! Ok...I am ok with bugs. I grew up rural...BUT...those nasty little pedes absolutely freak me out. I am real close to the climbing on a chair mode when i see one. And yeah...the speed they have really makes me wobble inside.

I find them repulsive and have enough fear that I will not get close enough to kill one.

James Black

Local time
-->
I hate heights. And death... And fear. (For example, the feeling when I start to dwell on death. Not just death itself, but the idea that I feel weak and powerless, and fearful of it)
That's about it.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
AHHHHHH! Ok...I am ok with bugs. I grew up rural...BUT...those nasty little pedes absolutely freak me out. I am real close to the climbing on a chair mode when i see one. And yeah...the speed they have really makes me wobble inside.

I find them repulsive and have enough fear that I will not get close enough to kill one.

They CREEP ME OUT! But luckily I've never seen one in real life. I wonder how enormously I would overreact; I mean - I go nuts if I see just a single spider.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
Hmm. Lemme see...
I have an extreme dislike of talking on the phone, physical contact from anyone but very close friends and family, and inadequecy/failure/incompetence.
I can sing and play a few instruments pretty well, but I can't do anything in front of other people. At all. Like, I had to actually force myself to sing along in the car to my favorite song when my sister, the person closest to me in the world, was the only other person in the car.
I don't like needles, not because of the pain, but because I don't like thinking about having some substance injected into me and infiltrating my body without me knowing exactly what it is/what it does/what it's doing right now/how it will affect me later...you get the idea.
Oh, and I don't like groups of children because they give me a headache. Not just from their screaming. I see each child and wonder what pain, hardships, depression they'll go through later in their lives and it overwhelms me. One or two kids is okay at a time, as long as they behave. But any more and my head starts spinning.

But actual fears? Hmm..
I'm terrified of being in a life-or-death situation and not knowing what to do/not being able to do it. Example, if my sister were trapped beneath a burning car and she would die before the ambulances arrived...I am so afriad of situations like that.
I'm afraid of causing a freak accident. Like, if I leave scissors on the stairs and someone trips on them and gets the blades stuck in their leg... But that's not to the point of paranoia. Just caution.
And I'm afraid of fear because of the feeling of helplessness/panic it brings. I hate it so much.
And that's really it.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 7:26 AM
-->
I have some fear of insects too. I really hate them. I have some sort of explanation to this, but it is a bit archaic and many people can't understand it. I am a big guy, strong and robust. And when thinking about some animal, i automatically imagine to have to defend myself against it. And in doing so, i come to the conclusion, that with most mammals i wouldn't have a problem. Ok, sure, a lion would get me but at least i could do something about it and try to defend myself. I can kick him and punch him, use some sort of mace or whatever. The same with a dog or something (ok, with elefants it really becomes hard :p). But with insects it seems that i had no chance. You know, sure i could smash them quite easily, but at first i have to find and actually find my target and hit. I have thoughts of their poison etc...
I know, it is a bit stupid, but that's the way it is with me.
Actually it is not really a phobia, i do not panic or something, on the contrary: I get totally focussed and concentrated on my 'enemy' (when i see a spider, or wasp or something in my vicinity). But it is annoying.

Ogion

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
Okay, am I one of the only people not afraid of bugs?
I mean, sure, super-fast spiders and wasps make me a little unnerved because I don't want them crawling on me. But I don't freak out about them.
I used to hate bees so much that I would squeak (yes, squeak) when I saw one. But now...they're bees. ._.
And spiders are spiders. There's a pet tarantula where I work. I hold it every now and then.
I'm not afraid of any sort of animal unless it's venemous/poisonous. Like, those box jellyfish in Australia? They give me the creeps.
Put me in a cage with a lion and I'll sit down and start talking to it. As long as it's not starved.
Snakes? I love them.
But hissing cockroaches are just gross. x__x

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
Scared of:

lies
dark water (but not of the dark, sort of strange, but I've always had good night vision and am not good at swimming)
failure
large groups of people
dislike talking on phone also (maybe it's because we make social errors, and need to see the other person's facial reaction to know if we're being awkward) I just think phones make it so other people can bother me more frequently.
Stupid people. They're going to kill us all.
I probably have OCD, but I hate it when things that are, to me, naturally "ordered", like school desks, lines of things..., are not ordered, and when then things that, to me, are naturally in "chaos", like marbles scattered on the floor, are ordered. One time my sister ordered my marble colection neatly on the ground in rows. I, unsuspecting, walked in later and saw my marbles all neatly lined up, ran over, and kicked them.
I'm scared of violent things done to people and animals.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
Okay, am I one of the only people not afraid of bugs?

I mean, sure, super-fast spiders and wasps make me a little unnerved because I don't want them crawling on me. But I don't freak out about them.
I used to hate bees so much that I would squeak (yes, squeak) when I saw one. But now...they're bees. ._.
And spiders are spiders. There's a pet tarantula where I work. I hold it every now and then.
I'm not afraid of any sort of animal unless it's venemous/poisonous. Like, those box jellyfish in Australia? They give me the creeps.
Put me in a cage with a lion and I'll sit down and start talking to it. As long as it's not starved.
Snakes? I love them.
But hissing cockroaches are just gross. x__x
I love bugs, and snakes, etc. However, I don't like certain ones (centipedies), being in my "space" when I don't know that they're there. It's sort of weird, but if I know it's their, I don't mind it. It's only the idea of not knowing that bothers me.

Top Bottom