• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Intp Job

James122

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:51 AM
-->
I type myself very intp and was wondering if the job I am likely to pursue. I am interested in going into the movie industry starting out as a screenwriter. I am wondering if becoming a screenwriter is a good job for an extreme intp. I seem to naturally come up with ideas for stories and my screenwriting technique has really improved. I am also interested in directing, but I will probably start out writing movies.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 3:51 PM
-->
Yeah, my only award was for creative writing. (3rd grade though)

You should come up with really good stories over time.

I constantly improvise stories in my head.

I'd say stick with screenwriting and writing novels. Directing sounds like a lot of attention.

systembust

Local time
Today 3:51 AM
-->
I also say to follow your interests, if that is what you genuinely feel inspired to do.

I also wanted to be a screenwriter, but I lose interest in it when I actually sit down to complete the work. I love coming up with ideas for screenplays and sketching outlines of how a movie would go, but in INTP fashion my interest tends to stop there right before it's time to actually "roll my sleeves up."

So anyways if you really feel compelled and passionate enough to invest the needed time and effort, then by all means, go for it.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
If that goal isnt working out, try science instead. The problem with pure creative-focused activities is the lack of building a system and the discovery of new principles and laws that could guide understanding. There is nothing to systemize, therefore, there is a lack of actually understanding something, which is essentially what the abstracted INTP wants.

systembust

Local time
Today 3:51 AM
-->
If that goal isnt working out, try science instead. The problem with pure creative-focused activities is the lack of building a system and the discovery of new principles and laws that could guide understanding. There is nothing to systemize, therefore, there is a lack of actually understanding something, which is essentially what the abstracted INTP wants.

Great insight there.

Iuanes

Local time
Today 4:51 AM
-->

I somewhat disagree with this. I think many pieces of art adhere to their own principles or systems. Obtaining completion of the project, or at least a clarity of vision of where it is going or its purpose, is akin to gaining understanding. 'Understanding a truth'.

Art can be principled, systematic, and above all else, a truth seeking.

I read somewhere about how an INTP relates to chess. How they would play the game and then want to change the moves each piece can make. That sounds to me more like art than science.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 2:51 AM
-->
From a screen writer friend I've heard that its nothing but stitching together cliches. "Appeal to the lowest common denominator" is what they told him. Doesn't sound good to me.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Today 1:51 AM
-->
I read somewhere about how an INTP relates to chess. How they would play the game and then want to change the moves each piece can make. That sounds to me more like art than science.
Yes, it was a quote in reference to the different styles that the various NTs would use for playing chess. :)

I just started as a software developer. Programming is so much fun! I do have a couple of ISTP coworkers, and they get shit done, but they approach problems with some rigidity... and they lack the flare and abstract skill in writing their code. We've fired one of them, and we (the NTs) are often cleaning up what the other ISTP writes.

Additionally, the programming industry is booming. We've had a reduction in the # of US college students graduating with CS[1]. I agree that you should follow your passions (I have many passions outside of programming) but if you're looking for a JOB to pay the BILLS, and if you want to be able to pay for writing lessons, and if you want more vacation time, and if you want to live in a comfy apartment in the center of town, and if you want to be able to eat out a lot so that you can eavesdrop on stranger's conversations for inspiration for your story... learn how to code.

[1] http://marketing.dice.com/pdf/Dice_TechTalentCrunch.pdf

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Yes, it was a quote in reference to the different styles that the various NTs would use for playing chess. :)

I just started as a software developer. Programming is so much fun! I do have a couple of ISTP coworkers, and they get shit done, but they approach problems with some rigidity... and they lack the flare and abstract skill in writing their code. We've fired one of them, and we (the NTs) are often cleaning up what the other ISTP writes.

Additionally, the programming industry is booming. We've had a reduction in the # of US college students graduating with CS[1]. I agree that you should follow your passions (I have many passions outside of programming) but if you're looking for a JOB to pay the BILLS, and if you want to be able to pay for writing lessons, and if you want more vacation time, and if you want to live in a comfy apartment in the center of town, and if you want to be able to eat out a lot so that you can eavesdrop on stranger's conversations for inspiration for your story... learn how to code.

Agreed, I've been doing it for 20 years. Job prospects are great, I make as much as doctors do and have low stress and high flexibility.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Agreed, I've been doing it for 20 years. Job prospects are great, I make as much as doctors do and have low stress and high flexibility.
Wow. I must be doing something very, very wrong in coding.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Wow. I must be doing something very, very wrong in coding.

That's probably the problem. You have to manage your career as much as the code.

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
You could be a professional zombie hunter.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
I say go for it. Dream big but, be realistic in your expectations.

From a screen writer friend I've heard that its nothing but stitching together cliches. "Appeal to the lowest common denominator" is what they told him. Doesn't sound good to me.

At first glance it might not sound so good. Sure you have to cater to an audience as should be expected in the entertainment industry. The writer can add their own flair in a subtle way. Think of satire- how subtle it is, that at first glance it can be easily missed.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
I somewhat disagree with this. I think many pieces of art adhere to their own principles or systems. Obtaining completion of the project, or at least a clarity of vision of where it is going or its purpose, is akin to gaining understanding. 'Understanding a truth'.

Art can be principled, systematic, and above all else, a truth seeking.

What "art" is systematical? How systematical as compared to...mathematics...engineering? Isn't the very definition of "art" 'open'? How about screenwriting?

If it is true that many INTP's prefer to change the move-sets, then it must be a preference geared towards systemization[Ti}. INTP's like to try things out, and experiment but this is all for the creation of "new systems": a new game.

[I remember playing chess and turning it into a sort of "real-time" army game. lol. though that was purely out of arbitrary boredom.]

[1] http://marketing.dice.com/pdf/Dice_TechTalentCrunch.pdf

This. I think the world is on the verge of greater demand for software and the internet. A profitable and enjoyable career doesn't sound too bad.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
That's probably the problem. You have to manage your career as much as the code.
Bingo!

Any tips you can give me, would be useful.

Please be aware that I really only learn with instructions that are as detailed as coding, but if I get that, then I only need the basics to figure out the rest with ease.

Someday, someone will open my head and find just a whole load of chips, with Made in Taiwan tattooed on the inside of my skull.

Top Bottom