• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Insults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 7:38 AM
-->
I have to tell you that the amount of (personal) insults for which we had to give warnings and infractions increased significantly in the last days and weeks.
This creates just unpleasant tension and a hostile atmosphere.
And I think no one here wants to be in such a forum, right?

There is a line between being harsh or critical and just insulting.
We have members from all over the world, we come from different cultures and we all have different backgrounds. Often we are not able to estimate how other people see our postings. Experts say that 40% of the meaning in text messages get lost.

Three hints:

1. Think about how others could perceive your postings. Could you formulate it less hostile?

2. Communicate with each other. Oh, how many wars and feuds are the results of simple misunderstandings? Put your pride aside and ask "Say, did you really mean it this way?". Also, to apologize can also be an option.

3. Respect each other. Even if you really dislike someone, there is no need for being insulting.

4. Even if someone insults you, stay cool. Revenge is a wheel that spins backwards.

I wish this thread wouldn't be necessary and I wish that there will be a time where we all can laugh about this thread.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Today 2:38 PM
-->
THIS THREAD HAS 1000% OF MY BURNING APPROVAL!!!!

Seriously.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
If only everyone could be nicer...

tom

sihadiya
Local time
Today 6:38 AM
-->
That's the entire history of ethics wrapped up in exactly ten syllables.

phantome

connecting that which cannot be connected
Local time
Yesterday 11:38 PM
-->
this is quite true....everyone seems to be much ruder to each other now

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
That's the entire history of ethics wrapped up in exactly ten syllables.

I was trying to be concise XD

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
Today 2:38 AM
-->
To me, it all depends on what type of discussion is going on. I don't like insults in a serious discussion because they can take away from the points being made by turning the focus to personal issues and insecurities, which doesn't really belong there.

However, I think they're fine in humorous threads, or when the line of discussion has obviously become non-serious. Just as long as those who dish them out can also take them. Of course, if someone's intent is truly malicious, then that's not cool. I realize that it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
or when the line of discussion has obviously become non-serious.

Unless it was originally serious and someone doesn't want their thread hijacked.

Weliddryn

Far too curious...
Local time
-->
http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=263

It seems as though this thread is needed more then usual, lately. It was created for a purpose. If there is venting going on here (and it seems that there has been) please refer to this thread and not taking your woes out on other members in this forum.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I used to read and post frequently. I have severely reduced my activity for two reasons. First, my work schedule has been significantly more busy and second, the tone of many of the posts has been ugly.

Dave

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
that's unfortunate... I very much enjoyed reading your posts :(. They were very much a philosopher's thoughts

ArcusDog

Local time
-->
Anthile, you're a stupid idiot. Your ugly, retarded, unintelligible avatar pic offends my very soul. I hate the way....uh...wait a second. Scratch all that. I agree with this post.

Carnap

Local time
-->
3. Respect each other. Even if you really dislike someone, there is no need for being insulting.

Lol, I think only intps can get so into forum/internet world that we actually strongly dislike people we've never met.

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
-->
Lol, I think only intps can get so into forum/internet world that we actually strongly dislike people we've never met.

LoL. We like to think we are unemotional, but we get too emotionally attached to things we are passionate or care about.

I am one of those people who get so caught up into a movie that I start screaming at the characters.

Groosalugg

For a bunch of self-professed non-feelers, you lot sure are touchy.

Carnap

Local time
-->
You have no idea that a simple sentence can make us bed ridden for days...

MunkySpanker

Banned
Local time
-->
I have to tell you that the amount of (personal) insults for which we had to give warnings and infractions increased significantly in the last days and weeks.
This creates just unpleasant tension and a hostile atmosphere.
And I think no one here wants to be in such a forum, right?

There is a line between being harsh or critical and just insulting.
We have members from all over the world, we come from different cultures and we all have different backgrounds. Often we are not able to estimate how other people see our postings. Experts say that 40% of the meaning in text messages get lost.

Three hints:

1. Think about how others could perceive your postings. Could you formulate it less hostile?

2. Communicate with each other. Oh, how many wars and feuds are the results of simple misunderstandings? Put your pride aside and ask "Say, did you really mean it this way?". Also, to apologize can also be an option.

4. Even if someone insults you, stay cool. Revenge is a wheel that spins backwards.

I wish this thread wouldn't be necessary and I wish that there will be a time where we all can laugh about this thread.

wondering about the validity of your INTP'ness Anthile -- Mr. I love to make and follow rules and make sure others follow them... I wonder even the point of having rules considering the personalities on this forum. Why not just throw down the hammer and ban out of nowhere? it's not like a true INTP would care to follow the "rules" in the first place, and if he/she were banned, it's not like he/she would try to find a loophole within the rules to get back in, nor argue his/her way back in... seems kind of like an unnecessary and irrelevant thing to do;

mostly because the people that would read the rules, memorize and obey them, and encourage others to follow them -- probably would not even be an INTP...

maybe you're not!? i dunno just been here for 2 days

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
-->
wondering about the validity of your INTP'ness Anthile -- Mr. I love to make and follow rules and make sure others follow them... I wonder even the point of having rules considering the personalities on this forum. Why not just throw down the hammer and ban out of nowhere? it's not like a true INTP would care to follow the "rules" in the first place, and if he/she were banned, it's not like he/she would try to find a loophole within the rules to get back in, nor argue his/her way back in... seems kind of like an unnecessary and irrelevant thing to do;

mostly because the people that would read the rules, memorize and obey them, and encourage others to follow them -- probably would not even be an INTP...

1. Yes, Anthile probably isn't an INTP, or so he claims, iirc.

2. They aren't rules, they're "hints".

3. The actual reason for this thread was a troll (multiple trolls?) back then. So, Yeah...

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
Today 6:38 AM
-->
Awestruckenly ?

[Stuff]

And already 106 posts... Congratulations.

I'm hoping you won't be awestruckedly remembered as 'That chap who made over a 100 posts in a few days and then got banned just for no particular reason', but it's tending that way.

Claverhouse :phear:

Moderating mode

MunkySpanker

Banned
Local time
-->
Re: Awestruckenly ?

I'm hoping you won't be awestruckedly remembered as 'That chap who made over a 100 posts in a few days and then got banned just for no particular reason', but it's tending that way.

Claverhouse :phear:

Moderating mode

no i would be the guy that fades away into the darkness because he couldn't pay his time warner internet bill

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

Alas, poor Munkyspanker.

He lit up like a flare in the night, bathing the dark world in glory for a few mere seconds... then was but ash upon the wind and a quickly fading memory within the minds of mankind.

Munkyspanker said:
no i would be the guy that fades away into the darkness because he couldn't pay his time warner internet bill

Now you sound like my sister.

So it's a race against time, then, is it? :D
You better get him while you still can, Claver!

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
Today 12:38 AM
-->

That's not very logical reasoning. Why couldn't a person be an INTP and follow rules as well? Why couldn't a person be a J type and thrive off breaking rules? How much do you understand the traits of MBTI? (I'm no expert by any means, but what you're suggesting is just entirely silly.)

That said, Anthile doesn't claim to be INTP, from what I remember, and as was stated by people before me :P

I follow almost a majority of rules out of simple convenience, most of the time I don't is because a rule has become inconvenient - I would venture to say that most humans operate off such a basis, and very few are pure anarchists or pure rule followers. It seems more likely that I'm quite possibly more ENTP than INTP though. Of course, I do have strong J tendencies too, or rather, Te. So, *shrug* who knows. I'd place less stock in MBTI, were I you, especially if you don't know a whole lot about it, because the more you get to know it, the more you tend to realize that while it does measure something, what it claims to measure versus what it actually measures isn't quite the same. (Possibly.)

Or my understanding of it is just way off board.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
Today 1:38 AM
-->

Alas, poor Munkyspanker.

He lit up like a flare in the night, bathing the dark world in glory for a few mere seconds... then was but ash upon the wind and a quickly fading memory within the minds of mankind.
Shall we take bets on how long it will be before he is turned to ash and becomes nothing but a quickly fading memory in the history of this place?

I'm gonna say 6 hrs. 54 min. and 32 sec.

:D

MunkySpanker

Banned
Local time
-->

Shall we take bets on how long it will be before he is turned to ash and becomes nothing but a quickly fading memory in the history of this place?

I'm gonna say 6 hrs. 54 min. and 32 sec.

:D

I'll take the over. going for a Chris Johnson year.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The time to laugh about this thread is right now. Wait, not everyone is laughing...

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->

You are a disgusting, narcissistic person, and the primary reason for major discontent on this forum has only come from people like you. It is overwhelmingly obvious that you have no concept of community, since your only desire is to whine about every little thing that pops into your head. These aren't people to you, they're an audience. You are impulse-driven, show no interest in reflection upon the mark you're so dead-set on making and express little capacity for a general empathy with the people-at-large here.

Furthermore your fixation upon the idea of this being some "exclusive club" for "intps" is revolting. A good deal of the people here do not identify with being intp, but you act as though those people should be admonished since it's clearly an "INTP Forum." You yourself seem extraordinarily banal and materialistic, and I highly doubt you would make the cut if this were actually, really, some sort of place where only the chosen few may tread.

dark

Bring this savage back home.
Local time
-->
^ if that were true, I probably wouldn't even be here, ah to be honest I wouldn't be here. But as you mentioned not all of us are INTP, but I don't care I find this forum fascinating and enjoy reading and learning new things.

And wow that is a lot of posts in 2 days, not meant as an insult, a mere observation, you must be either lonely, have a lot to say, or think everything is fascinating enough to mention an idea. I haven't read everything you posted so wouldn't know.

Also to the above person, that isn't a nice thing to say which violates the rules in this thread... when will people learn. It isn't nice to say mean things to people even if they upset you.

And I agree it is sad people have to be reminded that we are global and we understand things differently, which is why I think we should all, even myself, should think to ourselves how others would perceive our remarks to others. I know personally I try not to be mean, but I can't always be certain if had come across as mean, so I will use this post to apologize to any I may have offended.

MunkySpanker

Banned
Local time
-->
You are a disgusting, narcissistic person, and the primary reason for major discontent on this forum has only come from people like you. It is overwhelmingly obvious that you have no concept of community, since your only desire is to whine about every little thing that pops into your head. These aren't people to you, they're an audience. You are impulse-driven, show no interest in reflection upon the mark you're so dead-set on making and express little capacity for a general empathy with the people-at-large here.

Furthermore your fixation upon the idea of this being some "exclusive club" for "intps" is revolting. A good deal of the people here do not identify with being intp, but you act as though those people should be admonished since it's clearly an "INTP Forum." You yourself seem extraordinarily banal and materialistic, and I highly doubt you would make the cut if this were actually, really, some sort of place where only the chosen few may tread.

disgusting -- only 20% of my thoughts, okay 50%
narcissistic -- ok
major discontent -- wth, who cares
community -- you people aren't real, just figments of my imgntn
only desire -- i have many, but whining is my behavior not my desire, my desire is to have sex with your mom
audience -- you called it, i'm an entertainer, although how to monetize this???? who knows
impulse driven -- right on, not sure what else could drive me, expulses?
interest in reflection upon the mark -- i'll let you have this one since i'm confused
general empathty -- my INTP'ness allows me to not care about you and get away with it, that's what my doctor says
people-at-large -- not nice to make fun of the fatties (Anthile, ban this fool)
fixation -- only thing i was fixated on was my mother's breast milk
revolting -- you're the only person other than my ex-gf who's used this word to describe my personality
banal, materialistic -- ok ok getting redundant now

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 5:38 PM
-->
well with regard the the previous argument about J breaking more rules than P types I disagree. It's just that P types can get away with it so nobody knows.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->

Damn. I was off by a couple of hours.

If you're willing to pay an additional entry fee, it's not too late to try again. Although you are thus far the only contestant and thus you will only be winning 80% of the pool yield which is just your entry fee thus you are out 20% thus I'll just stop this sentence now thusly:
smiley_emoticons_smiley-popo.gif

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I don't know what it is to be honest, however do know that you CAN kiss it.

smiley_emoticons_bussi2.gif

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
It is but I'm sorry to say it is rather hairy around the areola. Thick black hair, not that soft fuzzy stuff.

dark

Bring this savage back home.
Local time
-->
O wow people get banned quick. Guess it's what they call, live fast die young.

To me it looks like a whale diving in front of a green sun.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
That would be one skinny whale! I guess plankton doesn't flourish under the light of a green sun.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
It is but I'm sorry to say it is rather hairy around the areola. Thick black hair, not that soft fuzzy stuff.
Me thinks you don't know your anatomy. The first time I confused an areola for a clitoris, I ended up with a mouth full of urine. :o

I'd still like to kiss it, though, if it's okay with you. :p

I'm going to get banned soon, right? :kilroy:

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 1:38 PM
-->
I think INTPForum is still low on insults and derogatory remarks. It's still not yet Youtube.

And being sensitive to INTPForum insults is really quite sensitive.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Ahh, I always miss out on the good stuff.

Melllvar

Banned
Local time
-->

Don't you realize you changed the outcome by measuring it?

Inappropriate Behavior[B said:
[/B]]That would be one skinny whale! I guess plankton doesn't flourish under the light of a green sun.

I suppose you're right, chlorophyll is green because it reflects predominantly green light, and chlorophyll A & B do absorb more heavily in the blue and red portions of the visible spectrum. All this analysis just because a circle mooned us.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

Damn. Oh well, you can't expect yourself to be practically perfect in every way. (That's for Mary Poppins.)

Don't you realize you changed the outcome by measuring it?

Quantum forum management.

He planted the seed [Inception!], Munky's parabolic trajectory changed from an uphill climb to a downward spiral.

DarkGreen

Mmm Tasty
Local time
-->
Ok. If we're going to be nice then let me just say that I'm very thankful to all of you for being your cool selves and I think this place is a little piece of goodness on the internet as compared to 4chan or any other disgusting website. That's it.

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
-->
So, I admit to being a little confused. As I was reading through this thread, I gradually came to the realization that apparently, an internet forum requires rules. I'm not sure why. Forums are generally a place where you can go to ask the questions you can't ask your friends irl, discuss the topics that will label you strange in the outside world, and generally increase knowledge through interacting with people who share similar thought patterns. Rules tend to have a limiting effect on whatever they are applied to (in my experience, at least).

I would think, therefore, that rules on a forum would be counter-productive. Limitation of knowledge is never a good thing. Therefore, forum rules must not be a good thing. On the other hand, I have yet to see the forum rules here yet, so I can't really say one way or the other. I have yet to be warned that I'm breaking any of the rules so I must assume that the rules are 20% common sense, and 80% respect, much like most rules set down by small communities.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
So, I admit to being a little confused. As I was reading through this thread, I gradually came to the realization that apparently, an internet forum requires rules. I'm not sure why. Forums are generally a place where you can go to ask the questions you can't ask your friends irl, discuss the topics that will label you strange in the outside world, and generally increase knowledge through interacting with people who share similar thought patterns. Rules tend to have a limiting effect on whatever they are applied to (in my experience, at least).

I would think, therefore, that rules on a forum would be counter-productive. Limitation of knowledge is never a good thing. Therefore, forum rules must not be a good thing. On the other hand, I have yet to see the forum rules here yet, so I can't really say one way or the other. I have yet to be warned that I'm breaking any of the rules so I must assume that the rules are 20% common sense, and 80% respect, much like most rules set down by small communities.

Counterproductive? Without rules, the forum could possibly be rampant with people who do not wish to discuss, only argue, in which only ignorance would prevail, not knowledge, wisdom or understanding.

Magnus

Demon Hunter
Local time
-->
Nice V quote JennyWocky...I generaly fail at the whole "politically correct thing" But I can make an effort if others will. YouTube - Matisyahu - We Will Walk If your Palestinian... بارك الله فيك unless the translator was messing with me I did a decent job...hmm that wasn't too hard. and for the nihonjin among us:cat:.haha I could have fun with this whole polite thing, there are interesting ways of being nice out there.

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
-->
I suppose I can see that, EyeSeeCold. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting that there are some people in the world who's life goal is not to learn what they can, but to argue with everyone about everything, because "My opinion is so perfect; after all, it comes from a perfect person". The only thing I hate more than morons are opinionated morons. Well, and morons that haven't clued into the fact that they have an under-developed brain...

Moocow

Semantic Nitpicker
Local time
-->
Being relevant to my silly (and now closed) intro thread, I personally find the threads with a tinge of hostility to be the most refreshingly honest of them. It's even nicer when people exchange ugly words and turn out with a greater respect for each other in the end. It happens sometimes.

Or sometimes the exchange of raw feelings is banished and the internet becomes just as restrictive and lifeless as the reality I'm escaping.

Perhaps I find this thread to be an insult to my right to insult! What then?

Oh and to dearest Cegorach, as tempting as it may be to preach manners and respect before closing threads... we're on a forum where I'm inclined to think those are as much subject to debate as anything else. It's a debate that I don't think your moderator powers necessarily give you the freedom to conclude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom