• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

INFJ vs INTJ

TriflinThomas

Bitch, don't kill my vibe...
Local time
Today, 00:44
I'm wondering what the difference is between the two, especially in regards to how the tertiary functions displays itself. I've scored INFJ on a couple MBTI tests, and I've scored INFp on multiple socionics tests (same test, just took it multiple times) and I scored INTp a couple times too. As I said before, I'm curious as to what the differences are, especially in regards to the tertiary function.

SLushhYYY

Local time
Today, 08:44
The most obvious difference is Ti vs Te. Its the whole subjective vs objective deal, at least thats what ive noticed in my INTJ friend and im an INFJ.

Local time
The INTJ's tertiary is their hidden warmth, they are typically rational people who don't emanate a lot of emotion, but it is there.
The INFJ's tertiary is more like an underlying coolness, INFJ's though typically somewhat rational tend to emanate emotion; nonetheless, their tertiary is always there.

You'll typically see less of an INTJ's Fi than you will of an INFJ's tertiary, especially on these Ti-Dom boards. You've got INFJ's who are attracted to the Ti way of thinking, and who need to use Ti themselves to clarify concepts and terms while debating, hence INFJ's get plenty of opportunities to use their Ti. The same can not be said of the INTJ's Fi, which rather than being used in the process of constructing arguments, is the fuel for said arguments, and tends to show itself in glimpses of passion - in their genuine disgust, or bafflement or whatever. Unlike Fe, Fi isn't out there all the time, it pokes its head out now and then, it's a lot easier to spot IRL though. It's the same for INFJ's most of the time their cruising around with their dom and aux, when those two don't quite cut it and only manage to produce a sense of understanding rather than an explanation the INFJ needs to bring in Ti to sort things out, a slow and excruciating process compared to the NiFe cruise. There's probably something similar goin on with INTJ's, their domaux cruise also needs a checkup sometimes, probably less because they don't make sense, but more because they've lost track of their priorities and their reasons, which is when they do an Fi checkup.

I could write more and be more specific... but meh I'd need to bring in all the other functions as well.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today, 01:44
Enormous differences. Superficially you'll see an INFJ as either cold (but not distant) or warm (Fe) depending on their mood. Also "out there", or perhaps better "in there" (Ni).

INTJ's are reserved, colder and more distant. They can be arrogant too which you don't see with INFJ's.

TriflinThomas

Bitch, don't kill my vibe...
Local time
Today, 00:44
Enormous differences. Superficially you'll see an INFJ as either cold (but not distant) or warm (Fe) depending on their mood. Also "out there", or perhaps better "in there" (Ni).

INTJ's are reserved, colder and more distant. They can be arrogant too which you don't see with INFJ's.
Yes I know that. It's not very helpful, though. I'm trying to figure out my type, so a bit more depth would be nice. I ask for focus on the tertiary because it makes it easier to differentiate between two similar types.

Local time
Today, 01:44
My roommate is INTJ and he was talkin' bout his mama yesterday and I asked a few questions, plus I know the lady, and we figured she might be INFJ. Specifically that she is absolutely an intuitive type, like him, only she is driven by feeling.

He also calls her manipulative and controlling.

Otherwise I don't know any INFJs that I can pinpoint.

What I can tell you for sure is that my INTJ friend's tertiary Fi is very real and present. Good luck making a clear distinction between Fi and Ti without adding more content to the picture...haha.

What I'm saying is that I don't think you'll tell the difference by comparing the tertiary functions in these types. You'll have to think about the aux-tert functions as pairs (Fe>Ti and Te>Fi) and try to make the comparison that way.

SLushhYYY

Local time
He doesnt have much of an open mind to different ideas that are fun to think about, he prefers what is true rather than what "could be" be true. He has very strict morals, he has completely rationalized the bible, says he fakes his emotions when surrounded by others so they dont think he is weird (Fi). The Fe user would do this unconsciously. The inferior Se is very similar to mine where the mindset is very much all or nothing, anything in the middle tends to be a little weird. For example, he is a licensed sky diver. I mountain bike, road bike, rock climb etc. You get the idea.

Above all else, he is in 4th year of med school, while I am a 4th year electrical engineer student. While I study theoritical physics in my free time, he studies philosophy and the bible in his. This is very obvious Te vs Ti , while I prefer the abstract, he prefers to rationalize with his intuition.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
To quote Jimmy Tarbuck; "It's the way I tell 'em". INTJs utilise a mechanical argument system to justify and implement their intuitions. INFJs utilise a more free-flowing emotional system to justify and implement their intuitions. It's not obvious at first glance. But INFJs utilise a softer argument style. They appeal to your emotions very carefully, in order to implement their plans. An INTJ would argue with you until you are wrong. An INFJ would harmlessly ask you about how your divorce is going, which everyone knows is very painful for you, and throws you so out of whack, that you can't think clearly enough to argue against what they are saying. Practically speaking, INTJs avoid emotions like the plague, while INFJs seem to be emotion junkies. It's like they HAVE to get upset at every little thing. If they make a meal, and you don't say "thank you", or don't say something nice about it, they get really mad. INTJs are their emotional opposite. Getting them to behave like a human, and express some regret, can be like trying to get blood from a stone.

Amagi82

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Local time
Today, 03:44
My wife is an INTJ, but she's really really close to the 50-50 mark with the T/F, which means she has a balance between the cold hard logic of the INTJ and the compassion of an INFJ. Hard INTJs are completely unfeeling jerks, who would have no qualms about having "inferior" people slaughtered for the good of the whole, and would gladly make spreadsheets to articulate their plans. INFJs take peoples' feelings into account (a point of weakness). Riding the line here lets her be compassionate and understanding while simultaneously being okay with euthanasia and eugenics.

Top Bottom