• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INFJ and INFP; preferences, pros and cons: final judgement

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today 10:58 AM
-->
So what do you think about INFJs and INFPs? In what ways are they alike? How do they differ?

Which one do you prefer? Which one is the most clever? Which one is wise?

I believe that while INFPs may excel at many things they ultimately lack the scope of the INFJs, their Ni+Fe gives them a global perspective which Fi+Ne can't produce. INFPs may create remarkable things but none of them offer a holistic perspective on things.

INFPs are simply inferior irrational creatures who easily succumb to the temptations of mystic clichés, like those found in astrology, in healing; energies and shit like that. They best they have to offer are their intentions, not their intellect. Their thoughts can't be realized. Ultimately, they have a small impact on things.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 4:58 AM
-->
INFP

(Fi-(Ne-Si)-Te)

living personal virtues well finding universal context of multiple instances and specifying the external order.

INFJ

(Ni-(Fe-Ti)-Se)

finding multiple contexts of normative behaviors checking their consistency derived from a single instance.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 9:58 PM
-->
INFPs are simply inferior irrational creatures who easily succumb to the temptations mystic clichés found in astrology, in healing; energies and shit like that. They best they have to offer are their intentions, not their intellect. Their thoughts can't be realized. Ultimately, they have a small impact on things.
Ironically the fact that an INFJ would have the audacity to come to a conclusion like this is both the greatest pro and greatest con of the INFJ.

Because reasons.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
I guess in general the pros of INFJ's is group manipulation. The cons would also be... group manipulation.

Pretty much every pro an INFJ has is also their weakness. (As a type not as individuals.) INFJ's make great friends, but can also drive their friends to depression without realizing it. They can get a group moving easily, but in unhealthy ones they can destroy it. They can be fairly logical, or completely insane.

Of course this is as a type individuals would pick one side of each.

The Pros of INFPs are..... being offended and writing and the cons are illogical thinking, taking criticism personally, dreaming far too much. Seriously I'm friends with an INFP and the only thing he is good for is conversation.

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
Today 3:58 AM
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever
So what do you think about INFJs [define] and INFPs [define]? In what ways are they alike? How do they differ?

Which one do you prefer? Which one is the most clever [define]? Which one is wise [define]?

I believe that while INFPs may excel at many things they ultimately lack the scope of the INFJs, their Ni+Fe [define+define] gives them a global perspective which Fi+Ne [define+define] can't produce. INFPs may create remarkable things but none of them offer a holistic perspective on things.

INFPs are simply inferior irrational creatures who easily succumb to the temptations of mystic clichés, like those found in astrology, in healing; energies and shit like that. But not in anything to do with psychology, especially Jung or the MBTI. They best they have to offer are their intentions, not their intellect. Their thoughts can't be realized. Ultimately, they have a small impact on things.

*pours drink on the ground for my homie the limited consciousness*

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I think intj > intp is >er than infj > infp

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 6:58 AM
-->
Five stars for this satire, I love it!

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I agree,
these INFP seem to be walking contradictions.

INFJ are the master breed.

OmoInisa

Local time
-->
Five stars for this satire, I love it!
Yes. I took it at face value at first and was about to go medieval on his backside. But then I remembered that the one called Cherry Cola is a sly, slippery fellow.
Encore!

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
INFP's are softer and fuzzier (outer perceivers). INFJ's have an edge (outer judgers). But conversely INFP's can be inner psychos, look at Mia Farrow for an example of a inner psycho/outer soft INFP. INFJ's are slightly crazy, but not psycho.

INFP's love nature, puppies, children and stuffed animals. INFJ's are more distant to all of that. INFJ's are more critical of nature, puppies, children and abhor stuffed animals.

INFP's are more carte blanche with their love. INFJ's are deeply focused with their love. And this is a key difference, INFJ's are more focused than INFP's, who are probably the biggest space cadets of all the types.

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
-->
INFP's are softer and fuzzier (outer perceivers). INFJ's have an edge (outer judgers). But conversely INFP's can be inner psychos, look at Mia Farrow for an example of a inner psycho/outer soft INFP. INFJ's are slightly crazy, but not psycho.

INFP's love nature, puppies, children and stuffed animals. INFJ's are more distant to all of that. INFJ's are more critical of nature, puppies, children and abhor stuffed animals.

INFP's are more carte blanche with their love. INFJ's are deeply focused with their love. And this is a key difference, INFJ's are more focused than INFP's, who are probably the biggest space cadets of all the types.

idiot. you dont have nearly enough people giving you shit by the way. intuition non declarative memory theres no beter way to describe orange than its a color and i see orange in fire so all orange is hot and stuff that's hot is orange i have compiled this truth based on the submission of my perceptual capabilities to someone else's i don't actually care or have the capability to understand but even if i knew that i'd still be limited by defining orange solely upon relativity to purple and i cant good at emotions because i am smarter than them you see

*the perception residing in the entity known as architect bathes in orlevitate's barf*

Hey architect! I'm having a question for you please sir. May I have another? Can you tell me how to ascend the corporate ladder and achieve philistine perfection?

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
-->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
idiot. you dont have nearly enough people giving you shit by the way.

The illusion that what we think actually matters, is relevant, or that anybody cares is common in young people, it takes time to develop thoughts that are useful to other people. Also common is the fantasy of the revolutionary, which is the desire to push out whoever is in power (power being position, wealth, status, etc) and put themselves in that place. Scratch a revolutionary and you find a closet aristocrat.

Cherry said:
INFPs are simply inferior irrational creatures who easily succumb to the temptations of mystic clichés, like those found in astrology, in healing; energies and shit like that. They best they have to offer are their intentions, not their intellect. Their thoughts can't be realized. Ultimately, they have a small impact on things.

Obviously a joke, but there might be something true in there. INFP's I've known have tended more towards the mystical than a hard headed INFJ. An INFP would be a Voodoo doctor while the INFJ would be a Shaman. They're both equally cracked of course.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
-->
INFP's are the most abstract of all types.

Oddity

INTP
Local time
-->
So what do you think about INFJs and INFPs? In what ways are they alike? How do they differ?

Which one do you prefer? Which one is the most clever? Which one is wise?

I believe that while INFPs may excel at many things they ultimately lack the scope of the INFJs, their Ni+Fe gives them a global perspective which Fi+Ne can't produce. INFPs may create remarkable things but none of them offer a holistic perspective on things.

It's like I'm listening to an INTJ talk about their opinion on INTPs.

Do you also feel this way about INTPs?

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
The illusion that what we think actually matters, is relevant, or that anybody cares is common in young people, it takes time to develop thoughts that are useful to other people. Also common is the fantasy of the revolutionary, which is the desire to push out whoever is in power (power being position, wealth, status, etc) and put themselves in that place. Scratch a revolutionary and you find a closet aristocrat.

Obviously a joke, but there might be something true in there. INFP's I've known have tended more towards the mystical than a hard headed INFJ. An INFP would be a Voodoo doctor while the INFJ would be a Shaman. They're both equally cracked of course.

How are voodoo doctors and shamans different?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
How are voodoo doctors and shamans different?

My interpretation; Voodoo is about warding off spirits and managing evil (and sometimes becoming evil themselves - i.e. possessed). Shamans are like oracles, they see portents, read tea leaves and can predict floods and famine. And oftentimes they get it completely wrong.

Taking a step back in my dealings with INFP's and INFJ's I see them in those two roles. INFP's can turn evil if they feel they're wronged, look to Mia Farrow for example of that.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
The part about them falling for mysticism and spiritualism is at least half true imo :P

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
So what do you think about INFJs and INFPs? In what ways are they alike?
They're both highly introverted, highly intuitive and highly emotional, even when they don't show it. They both tend to explode when someone does something that violates their personal values.

How do they differ?
INFJs are good at doing things, while INFPs are good at explaining things.

They also differ in what violates their personal values. Tell an INFP vegetarian that you had a salt beef sandwich, and she'll probably start screaming at you like she wants to stone you to death. Be 5 minutes late for an INFJ's dinner party, and you just signed yourself up for her screaming at you for any reason possible, for the next 3 months.

Which one do you prefer?
Whichever one is easily to get on with.

Which one is the most clever?
They're differently clever. If I want to understand how to treat a woman I don't know, I'll ask my INFP friend. If I want help with something that needs doing, in the areas of biology, nutrition, and things like that, I'll ask my INFJ sister.

Which one is wise?
Both CAN be wise, in their own way.

Interesting. INTJs also seem to think the same about INTPs. Makes about as much sense. INFJs have the weaknesses that Ni causes in humans, that INTJs have. So they're bound to have a lot in common.

Oddity

INTP
Local time
-->
Interesting. INTJs also seem to think the same about INTPs. Makes about as much sense. INFJs have the weaknesses that Ni causes in humans, that INTJs have. So they're bound to have a lot in common.
Yeah, I've always thought that INTJs' stupid-fuck idea that INTPs are just broken versions of INTJs because they can't see "the big picture" was, well, stupid as fuck. (Of course whatever they think is "the big picture" is the only big picture that anyone could see!)

Interesting that an INFJ would have the same kind of opinion of INFPs. Unfortunately, Cherry Cola hasn't answered the question I asked them.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Oddity that's because there is a chain of command to it all. INTJ's > INTP's > INFJ's > INFP's > INTJ's.

Hence why INTP's marry INFJ's and INTJ's Marry INFP's. It all makes sense. ;)

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
-->
well, infj and infp hate each other. I prefer infj, becuase they have better ability to listen, when infp is focused on himself.
but company of infp gives more fun, he has ability to make people happy

so, I respect infj more, but like infp more

Local time
Today 6:58 PM
-->
Being an INFP, (quite confirmed now) I must agree with the OP. Yet, it's pretty sad because it means that basically we're the scum on earth and shouldn't have been born in the first place. (Is that an example of a typical INFP statement?)

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
I don't consider myself an idealist, i'm rather realistic and i think that's a major fault on INFPs descriptions, idealism in what sense?, you mean running blind towards the edge of the cliff becuz thinking there's actually something better. Fuck John Lennon and his record Imagine.
To me Fi dom is about deeply believing in that your side is the best side, the other's are somewhat inferior. There's a dirty battle going on there, maybe becuz of Te, thus the always present remorse and guilt. Why idealism has to be something positive to earth or humanity?

well, infj and infp hate each other. I prefer infj, becuase they have better ability to listen, when infp is focused on himself.

I do listen tons of shit and it's usually not becuz i feel good about conforting them or playing the psychologist, usually it is becuz there's some purpose at a larger scale, in other words, becuz listening to that person will give me an adventage later on. In fact i get really bored while listening to people, thus relationship problems, you wasn't listening, etc.
Indeed people always tell me i make them feel good and smile and shit, it's weird, it's like a vibe, do you know Goku from DB? that kind of funny vibe just introverted.

BTW to Cherry Cola, how the fuck Nanook is an INFP, i have seen some videos of him in youtube (can't remember how i arrived to his page xD) and it's quite obvious he's some kind of hippy INTP.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 11:58 AM
-->
i've never or rarely ever felt that people who say something about INFP may be speaking of people who are the same type as i am. to answer cherry cola's question about whether i am INFP, i don't know and don't feel like letting anyone know, because to tell your type is to associate yourself into the bad typology of other people.

StevenM

beep
Local time
-->
I haven't known enough people of either type irl to make a good comparison.

I have known 2 INFJ's, one for 8+ years. Can't say I've known any INFP's though.

From what I see on the internet, within the type, there may be some similarities, but there is also a good range of differences as well. For example, an INFJ can be a junkie party-goer, or a professional CEO. They could be very artistic, or some having no care for art at all. Some are home-bodies, while others are adventurers travelling the world. Some are really polite and compassionate, while others don't really give a shit. Some are supposed geniuses, while others have learning difficulties.

So in conclusion, there is a certain aspect of the individual themselves as well.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 11:58 AM
-->
right, and all other types don't. because we have to project the principle of our ego or ethnocentricity, which are two stages of development, on SOME function.

remember, stages are transcended and included, so you remain ego and ethnocentric, in a less exclusive manner.

StevenM

beep
Local time
-->
^
ok you both won, in fact i don't think i use Fi, i'm most likely an xSTP or just maybe ENTP

I'm pretty sure Fi is not in what others call as 'the function stack' in your type. Whether it's dom, aux, tet, or inf, I always thought you had Fe in there somewhere.....

.....when I'm ignoring your avatar, that is......

Jade788

Redshirt
Local time
-->

INFJ's and INFP's get along great from my experience (considering I'm INFP and one of my closest friends is INFJ). Of course this doesn't stand true for every pair of INFJ and INFP, but to say they hate each other...

Also, INFP's are the type of people to put others before themselves, not very focused on themselves at all, although I know a lot of the types when under stress start acting opposite from who they are. I like both types personally, both are equally as nice and important as the other. The thought that one controls the other is unsettling as well =/

Final judgment: they're both worth getting to know as individuals and not just their type

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
My interpretation; Voodoo is about warding off spirits and managing evil (and sometimes becoming evil themselves - i.e. possessed). Shamans are like oracles, they see portents, read tea leaves and can predict floods and famine. And oftentimes they get it completely wrong.

Taking a step back in my dealings with INFP's and INFJ's I see them in those two roles. INFP's can turn evil if they feel they're wronged, look to Mia Farrow for example of that.

Actually I think it's the other way around, with shamans warding off spirits and helping people. I've rarely heard of shamans predicting the weather - that sounds more like witch doctor or voodoo stuff, but there are many cultures around the world with their own shamans, and so practices & technique may vary.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Hmm looking back on my old posts really shows the value I bring to conversations. HADO WAS RIGHT!

charliepoo

Local time
-->
INFP's and ESTJ's are the two types I get along with the LEAST.

INFP I can click with super well, in a way ... but in reality, I can't handle the passive nature at all, or the way their idealism is SO exaggerated that I deem it a waste of time because it's SO unrealistic.

HOWEVER.

There was a video on facebook about this dog in a ditch whose face was literally covered in maggots. It appeared that the dogs entire face was eaten off (eyes and muzzle). It was awful!!!

The video was of an animal rescue group that was going to save this dog. I watched all 5 minutes that felt dreadfully long, because the entire time I'm saying, "jesus christ! put that poor dog down!" IT was awful!!

but, at the end of the video, the dog was all healed up and adorable and they managed to save one eye. So there ya go ... INFP's drive me bonkers. but if I'm being completely honest, I think I might hate on them because they're capable of going WAY over the top, to a point I would never go.

therefore, they make me look bad. so I don't like them. :p

Just so you don't think I'm lying ... you can watch the video yourself.

Tell me these dudes aren't NFP!

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
^Holy shit!

Yeah, that kind of idealism seems crazy. I would have opted for euthanasia too, even for myself. I reach the 'cbf' point fairly early, something which has always worried me.

While that idealism does drive me insane and seem unnecessary, I agree that there's something beautiful about a person thinking that one single person/dog/whatever is worth *so* much just by itself that you'll go to such extreme lengths to save it. There's such a depth to their love for the individual being - there's no abstraction to it at all, it can never become a numbers game for people like that. Which is both its failing and its gift. They'll probably never get as much done as a more practical type, but they can pull off things other people wouldn't think possible because of the sheer tenacity of their conviction.

I guess other types have that conviction in other areas.

I've witnessed this quality in several people before. It's amazing in a way but can also destroy their life. (Though the worst destruction is when they lose their conviction, because then their entire life is meaningless. But I suppose selves can be rebuilt.)

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
Hmm... if you can't decide between INFJ and INFP, you're probably an ISTJ.

deathvirtuoso

Local time
Today 6:58 PM
-->
From my personal experience, INFJs tend to vent their emotions online. Like they'll tweet & retweet emo stuff. INFP tend to victimize themselves too much istg, but they refrain from posting too much emo stuff on public social media.

I honestly think both are equally great in their own ways. I've met a lot more INFPs than INFJs and even got somewhat close to an INFP, so I think I'll prefer INFPs. Honestly, they're clever in their own ways. But an INFJ can actually show that their clever through outputs such as grades etc. I think unhealthy INFPs will find that difficult. Some INFPs tend to pressurize themselves too much due to others' expectations. From my experience, both types aren't really wise. However, from what I've seen online, I think INFJ.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
Everyone knows that in typology there are only really two types of people. There is the INFJ and the non-INFJ(everybody else). Sometimes it's easier to just call everyone else INFP. INFJs wear Under Armour hoodies, while INFPs don't wear hoodies at all. If an INFP does wear a hoodie it has to be an elemental earth color(not to be confused with Element, inc.), or else the hoodie is confiscated by typology authorities so people know that they really aren't INFJs. They are then subjected to hours of youtube videos that point out all the differences between the two and why INFPs cannot possibly be INFJs.

Local time
-->
The ones with evil hard angled eyebrows are infjs, the ones with soft angled eyebrows are infps

Top Bottom