• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

In an Attempt to Type Myself

Ink

Local time
Today 7:15 AM
-->
Agh, Ink.. now u has me all confused. Going back and reviewing Depp I'm unsure. The Si is definitely there, and quite heavy, but I'll leave that one open for now. Leonardo DiCaprio has that cunning charm of an Fe, definitely. Compare him to other cunning badass actors like Denzel Washington. I would say he's Ni+Fe.

ISFJ

Denzel ISTJ

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
Today 8:15 AM
-->
Do you know what the definitive way to tell J/P is?
Describe your tendency towards messiness and disorganisation in your personal, natural environment (room/house etc.). This may not be applicable if you live with parents.
To supplement, describe how you work: if you do focused work, do you like to prioritise it and schedule it (even if a bit), or do you just work (somewhat spontaneously)?

And E/I?
How does the idea of being with 3-4 friends in a group appeal to you? How often do you organise to see them (if any)? Do you mind talking to strangers to get jobs done, or is this a drag to you?

Respond, I'll tell you these, and they can serve as guidelines.

Tip: you seem very much T. The best way to tell is to figure out whether your thoughts are more object-oriented or people-oriented than others you know.

Finally, S/N.
Listen to a piece of classical music played by a full orchestra. Do you concentrate on the details and movements of the piece? Or do you listen to it more holistically? This is assuming you aren't an Si-dom, which should be obvious. This is just a pointer in the right direction though.

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
Today 12:15 AM
-->
Being introverted doesn't equate to being INTP; there are several other types that enjoy deep thought and thinking.

Also, I'm almost positive that I use Ni, which is not a main function of INTP.

Why do you think you use Ni and not Ne?

Why do you think you use Se more than Si?

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
Today 2:15 AM
-->
Do you know what the definitive way to tell J/P is?
Describe your tendency towards messiness and disorganisation in your personal, natural environment (room/house etc.). This may not be applicable if you live with parents.
I live in a state of somewhat organized chaos. For example; I have a ton of papers spread out all over my floor at the moment, but it is because I am in the midst of organizing them and placing them in their correct places. I'll leave clothes on the ground, but only the clothes that I wore last; more than one outfit is too cluttered for me, and generally I prefer to clean up my clothes. I rarely leave messes (as in food) except on semi-rare occasions. Most of the time, though, this is due to me being in a rush and not having time to clean the dishes.

TLDR; I can live with some mess, but only to an extent. Once I break my threshold, I have to tidy up and make everything perfect again (remember, perfect is a subjective word though).

To supplement, describe how you work: if you do focused work, do you like to prioritise it and schedule it (even if a bit), or do you just work (somewhat spontaneously)?
I would honestly say a mixture of both. I make plans to work on a specific thing over a course of time. However, during the time I set out to work on it, I may be focused or unfocused at any time. After I set my boundaries, I just kind of let everything up for grabs and attempt to complete the work with the least amount of stress possible.

And E/I?
How does the idea of being with 3-4 friends in a group appeal to you? How often do you organise to see them (if any)? Do you mind talking to strangers to get jobs done, or is this a drag to you?
I hate large groups of people. I try to avoid going to places like malls or clubs because I get very uneasy around large crowds. I prefer a group of 1-4 friends, or none. I never organize to see people. I'm always the invited. I used to hate talking to strangers, but as of late (~last year) it doesn't seem to bother me anymore. FYI, I'm certain I'm I as opposed to E. Pretty obvious here :D

Respond, I'll tell you these, and they can serve as guidelines.

Tip: you seem very much T. The best way to tell is to figure out whether your thoughts are more object-oriented or people-oriented than others you know.
This is the most difficult function for me to figure out. Although I may come off as unattached, I actually am very emotional once you get to know me. Because of this, I have a select group of very close friends that mean the world to me. If you're outside that group, however, my feelings for you are probably minimal at best.

Now, that isn't to say that I don't like to express my feelings; to the contrary! I'm a very accepting person and can get along well with just about anyone. But, because of my I-ness, I am not very outgoing, and generally speaking, people need to make the effort to get to know me, rather than the other way around.

I don't know if this helps, but I feel as though I have a pretty good sense of first-impressions. By this, I mean that I can get a pretty good feel as to how a person truly is after meeting and observing them from afar.
Sounds creepy, huh :phear:
It's much easier to understand a person when they don't know you're watching them; they're not putting up a false barrier.

Finally, S/N.
Listen to a piece of classical music played by a full orchestra. Do you concentrate on the details and movements of the piece? Or do you listen to it more holistically? This is assuming you aren't an Si-dom, which should be obvious. This is just a pointer in the right direction though.

This one is tough for me. I grew up with music as an extremely important factor in my life - I've been playing piano since I can remember.

I kind of transition as the piece transitions. The best orchestral pieces grab the listener by the gut and move them on command. The feel of the piece, then, decides whether or not I am focusing on specific aspects or viewing it holistically. I hope this gives some indication as to how I am :confused:

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
Why do you think you use Ni and not Ne?
Many times there is not much logic behind my choices. I don't go with context clues nearly as much as I just go with my gut. This is indicative of a Ni user and not a Ne user.

Why do you think you use Se more than Si?
Well, since I'm pretty sure I use Ni more, then I would have to use Se, right? They are coupled functions, I believe. Plus, I more or less try to go-with-the flow (unless my Ni tells me otherwise, which would be from Se). You need some way to get information from the external world and use it - the way this happens is indicative of your type. If I use Ni, then I must use Se!

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
I live in a state of somewhat organized chaos. For example; I have a ton of papers spread out all over my floor at the moment, but it is because I am in the midst of organizing them and placing them in their correct places. I'll leave clothes on the ground, but only the clothes that I wore last; more than one outfit is too cluttered for me, and generally I prefer to clean up my clothes. I rarely leave messes (as in food) except on semi-rare occasions. Most of the time, though, this is due to me being in a rush and not having time to clean the dishes.

TLDR; I can live with some mess, but only to an extent. Once I break my threshold, I have to tidy up and make everything perfect again (remember, perfect is a subjective word though).

I would honestly say a mixture of both. I make plans to work on a specific thing over a course of time. However, during the time I set out to work on it, I may be focused or unfocused at any time. After I set my boundaries, I just kind of let everything up for grabs and attempt to complete the work with the least amount of stress possible.

I hate large groups of people. I try to avoid going to places like malls or clubs because I get very uneasy around large crowds. I prefer a group of 1-4 friends, or none. I never organize to see people. I'm always the invited. I used to hate talking to strangers, but as of late (~last year) it doesn't seem to bother me anymore. FYI, I'm certain I'm I as opposed to E. Pretty obvious here :D

This is the most difficult function for me to figure out. Although I may come off as unattached, I actually am very emotional once you get to know me. Because of this, I have a select group of very close friends that mean the world to me. If you're outside that group, however, my feelings for you are probably minimal at best.

Now, that isn't to say that I don't like to express my feelings; to the contrary! I'm a very accepting person and can get along well with just about anyone. But, because of my I-ness, I am not very outgoing, and generally speaking, people need to make the effort to get to know me, rather than the other way around.

I don't know if this helps, but I feel as though I have a pretty good sense of first-impressions. By this, I mean that I can get a pretty good feel as to how a person truly is after meeting and observing them from afar.
It's much easier to understand a person when they don't know you're watching them; they're not putting up a false barrier.

This one is tough for me. I grew up with music as an extremely important factor in my life - I've been playing piano since I can remember.

I kind of transition as the piece transitions. The best orchestral pieces grab the listener by the gut and move them on command. The feel of the piece, then, decides whether or not I am focusing on specific aspects or viewing it holistically. I hope this gives some indication as to how I am :confused:

Your people reading skills point to you being an INFJ: Ni-Fe is a good tool for that. Moreover, your discussion of typology-- a castle in the sky if one ever was-- indicates that you are an N and not an S. Finally, your emotional intensity indicates a greater presence of Fe than Te, a facet of you that, combined with the rests, evidences an overall type of INFJ.

-Duxwing

Ink

Local time
-->
The more I see of you the more INFJ you seem... What traits of yours make you doubt that typing?

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
-->

You seem INP. This based on both your descriptions, but also the way you write describe, and think.

Strong emotions are no indicator to feeling; many INTPs are largely driven by their inferior Fe. Do you use Fi? Look up the description, and tell me what you do more. Ti (thinking) or Fi (thinking about emotions, generally valuing them- people and emotion oriented). Tell me if you identify with this http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html on first read if the first few paragraphs.
Another BIG question for T/F (especially given what we've identified already)
Which is more natural, discussing an interesting problem with a friend, or talking about each other/personal (but not embarrassing or difficult) things.

Finally, remember that MBTI fails to account for people who are in the middle of the spectrum - it happens. You could be somewhere between two, or even four types (although I would pretty firmly call INP).

If you disagree with my reading of P (do you prefer to work with order, but it just doesn't happen, or do you not mind either way? More importantly, how much do you order things around you, and how much do you just take things in without messing about with them, even if you think about how to mess about with them?), take this test: http://similarminds.com/classic_jung.html
To take it: if you are undecided, always pick the option that says you disagree more. If you are undecided between agree-strongly agree, pick strongly agree.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
Your people reading skills point to you being an INFJ: Ni-Fe is a good tool for that. Moreover, your discussion of typology-- a castle in the sky if one ever was-- indicates that you are an N and not an S. Finally, your emotional intensity indicates a greater presence of Fe than Te, a facet of you that, combined with the rests, evidences an overall type of INFJ.

-Duxwing

That's the conclusion I've come to as well.

It's always good to have second, third, etc. opinions, however, which is why I made the thread. Easier to work through questions and solidify a result than to make a decision and try to figure it out all yourself.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
The more I see of you the more INFJ you seem... What traits of yours make you doubt that typing?

Well, for starters, until previously, I had always been typed as INTJ/INTP.

The overwhelming amount of 'evidence' indicates otherwise, however, and my most recent typing (INFJ) seems to be the most consistent with said data.

So I don't actually doubt the typing - I doubted the other typings.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
That's the conclusion I've come to as well.

It's always good to have second, third, etc. opinions, however, which is why I made the thread. Easier to work through questions and solidify a result than to make a decision and try to figure it out all yourself.

Indeed; intellectual discourse and mutual support are two of the main purposes of this forum.

-Duxwing

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
You seem INP. This based on both your descriptions, but also the way you write describe, and think.

Strong emotions are no indicator to feeling; many INTPs are largely driven by their inferior Fe. Do you use Fi? Look up the description, and tell me what you do more. Ti (thinking) or Fi (thinking about emotions, generally valuing them- people and emotion oriented). Tell me if you identify with this http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html on first read if the first few paragraphs.
This sounds a lot like me, but so does this:
www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html

Which is INFJ. Two completely different sets of functions, but two very similar overall personalities.

The problem I have with INFP typing is that it uses Ne; I make very poor use of my Ne, and I have very strong Ni.

Another BIG question for T/F (especially given what we've identified already)
Which is more natural, discussing an interesting problem with a friend, or talking about each other/personal (but not embarrassing or difficult) things.
Why not embarrassing or difficult? Although I don't care much for gossip or talking about one another, I do highly enjoy talking about personal issues with my close friends (even if they are embarrassing or difficult).

So, it seems to be more natural for me to discuss personal things - I take a lot of things 'personally'.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 2:15 PM
-->
Perhaps you should take a few more different tests if you have the time?

At least the I's confirmed, although you seem reasonably chatty for an introvert (but the web's different I guess). :)

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
Perhaps you should take a few more different tests if you have the time?

At least the I's confirmed, although you seem reasonably chatty for an introvert (but the web's different I guess). :)

Completely different.

I am usually very reserved.

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
-->
This sounds a lot like me, but so does this:
www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html

Which is INFJ. Two completely different sets of functions, but two very similar overall personalities.

The problem I have with INFP typing is that it uses Ne; I make very poor use of my Ne, and I have very strong Ni.

Why not embarrassing or difficult? Although I don't care much for gossip or talking about one another, I do highly enjoy talking about personal issues with my close friends (even if they are embarrassing or difficult).

So, it seems to be more natural for me to discuss personal things - I take a lot of things 'personally'.

INFX then. Given that you claim to make poor use of Ne, the final pointer is: Fe or Fi?

Local time
Today 6:15 AM
-->
Consensus is apparently INFJ.

But we still demand video, amirite peeps? :twisteddevil::angel:

(I'm personally glad I quick ID'd a Ni-dom, though I habitually automatically discount the male INFJ possibility irl due to the whole ~0.5% of the population thing).

Mysty

Local time
Today 4:15 PM
-->
Consensus is apparently INFJ.

But we still demand video, amirite peeps? :twisteddevil::angel:

(I'm personally glad I quick ID'd a Ni-dom, though I habitually automatically discount the male INFJ possibility irl due to the whole ~0.5% of the population thing).

Perhaps there really are more than 0.5%. The percentages -where did they come up with those figures anyway? Actually I did read a book once where they actually typed 23000 people for their study, can't remember what it was though, I think they used a variation on MBTI though, wonder what percentages they came up with. A sample size that big 'might' be reliable, but how did they choose the participants? That process can skew the results.

Local time
-->
Perhaps there really are more than 0.5%. The percentages -where did they come up with those figures anyway?

@Anna Moss ^HALP MEH!!! :eek:;)

Actually I did read a book once where they actually typed 23000 people for their study, can't remember what it was though, I think they used a variation on MBTI though, wonder what percentages they came up with. A sample size that big 'might' be reliable, but how did they choose the participants? That process can skew the results.
I've seen it cited as anywhere from 0.5%-2% on various sites. I went with ~1% and then the general trend of 2/3 of men being T vs F.

Out of the ~600 students I've taught, only 1 INFJ thus far. 6 solid INTJ, 4 INTP, 3 INFP, and 5 ENFP, 2 ENTJ, 3 ENTP which is unexpected. Up to my armpits in ESxx since I mostly teach Pre-meds. Not based on any sort of hardcore testing, just a short day 1 survey and personal interaction. I'd wager the population ratio of intuitives is increasing though. BRING ON THE MUTATIONS!!!

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
-->
What is usually on your mind?

What motivates you? What repels you?

What do you admire most about other people? What do you hate most about other people?

When you give or feel sympathy toward another person, what is going through your head?

Are you a big picture thinker? How naturally do these modes of thought come to you?

Are your thoughts oriented predominantly by the past, present or future?

Is there anything else you can describe about your thought processes?

Do you finish almost everything you start? How well are you able to sustain your attention or regulate your moods?

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
What is usually on your mind?
Whatever I happen to be thinking about. My mind tends to wander very easily if I am uninterested in the world surrounding me. Literally could be anything.

What motivates you? What repels you?
I think the ultimate motivation for me is for people to understand/ listen to me. I guess that would be considered teaching. It really really bugs me when someone puts me down only because of their own ignorance and short-sightedness. I guess revenge is sweet to me :beatyou:

Close-minded people repel me. That, and people who constantly have their noses in their phones, even in mid-conversation. I understand the occasional important text but every minute? Come on now.

What do you admire most about other people? What do you hate most about other people?
I admire other people's work ethic.

I don't like it when people are intentionally trying to cause a scene for their own benefit. Parasites.

When you give or feel sympathy toward another person, what is going through your head?
Just trying to make them feel better. When people are happy (unless for a bad reason), then I'm usually happy.

Are you a big picture thinker? How naturally do these modes of thought come to you?
Yes.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
I'm not an INFJ. Would bet money on INTJ.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
k so bet money on it.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
I think you think too holistically. I mean, you almost understand me ffs.

And you're saying that would point away from INTJ? :confused:

INFJ and INTJ are cousins. INTJ is just Tx before Fx (In this case Te before Fi) and INFJ is the other way around (With Fe and Ti). If anything I would think it would point towards INTJ. Your primary intuition was that I was an INTJ, and I really only based my overall decision to type myself as INFJ because my personality is more easily applied to your "conventional" INFJ.

However, I think that I actually have the propensity to be more high-strung; pretty sure the whole vitamin-d deficiency thing (and refusal to drink caffeine) messed with my serotonin and subsequently energy levels. Supplements of vitamins and healthy dosages of caffeine take care of that.

Local time
-->
It's not simply their order. The introverted and extroverted thinking and feeling functions are very different monsters, especially when coupled with Ni (well, compared to me at least).

You're also forgetting that my primary intuition was based on your answers to a 4 question quiz... ;)

Notice I'm not making an actual claim here, just poking for the sake of poking because I was right either way. :D

Also, : http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=16765

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
It's not simply their order. The introverted and extroverted thinking and feeling functions are very different monsters, especially when coupled with Ni (well, compared to me at least).
Well, yes, that's what I was getting at. The coupling of different functions with Ni will obviously create noticeable dynamics between the two. It's a bit more difficult to tell, though, because either way I'm Ni-dom.

For all intents and purposes, Ni-Te is the subjective intuition coupled with a thinking process to change the outside forces imposing these perceptions on oneself. So you're taking a systematic approach to logically alter perception.

On the other side, Ni-Fe would be the same goal (an externalized rationalization of subjective intuition) but with less logic and more feelz.
The feelz, bro :phear:
When emotionally stable, there is no doubt that I use a logical analysis to rationalize my intuitions. However, my emotions often cloud judgement, which often leads me to make irrational decisions (even though at the time I may know that I'm doing something that doesn't make sense, I do it anyway). I think this is the reason I initially leaned towards INFJ; the Fi undercoating of my persona is often over-stimulated without my awareness, leading me to believe that I was feeling secondary (which would be Fe secondary in INFJ).

Funny though, I even rationalized that decision with logic. Should have seen the irony in that long ago.
You're also forgetting that my primary intuition was based on your answers to a 4 question quiz... ;)
...which was backed by the mighty Ne.
Heil Ne!

:nazi::kinggrin::nazi:
Notice I'm not making an actual claim here, just poking for the sake of poking because I was right either way. :D

Also, : http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=16765
You may continue to poke me with sticks, and I will continue to wriggle around wildly, grasping whatever may sound good at the time as an argument.

*prepares for more prodding*

Local time
-->
...which was backed by the mighty Ne.

You may continue to poke me with sticks, and I will continue to wriggle around wildly, grasping whatever may sound good at the time as an argument.

*prepares for more prodding*
Now, consider that the 4 question quiz was based on socionics, where INTP and INTJ (but none of the others) actually use different functions, i.e. a socionics INTJ would use Ti, which equates to an MBTI INTP.

Spirit

ISTP Preference
Local time
-->
You seem like my INFJ friend. How old are you?

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
You seem like my INFJ friend. How old are you?
Old enough :rolleyes:

But seriously, INTJ and INFJ are very similar. Dominant and inferior functions are identical, so really the differences are miniscule (if not non-existent).

Ink

Local time
-->

But seriously, INTJ and INFJ are very similar. Dominant and inferior functions are identical, so really the differences are miniscule (if not non-existent).

They are definitely not non-existant since Te-Fi and Fe-Ti are very different in what kinds of information it focuses on.

Spirit

ISTP Preference
Local time
-->

Age is important because we go through phases and if you take the test during certain phases, it could alter the outcome of your test.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
They are definitely not non-existant since Te-Fi and Fe-Ti are very different in what kinds of information it focuses on.

But the question becomes: is it really worth my time to intricately understand the differences?

No, no it is not. I can get a general idea now, and if need be, focus more on the details later if necessary.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
Then why make a choice between the two at all?

Because indecision leads to apathy, which I have the propensity to wander towards.

Even an incorrect or meaningless decision is still a decision, which is more than nothing.

Local time
-->
Because indecision leads to apathy, which I have the propensity to wander towards.

Even an incorrect or meaningless decision is still a decision, which is more than nothing.
I think you'd only make such a decision if all roads led to apathy, i.e. neither label has value to you (which is actually a mark of progress imho).

Spirit

ISTP Preference
Local time
-->
INFJ

You are right in the stage where you are using the function of your TI to help you with decision making. This may make you appear to be a very logical but it is not your dominate function. This is exhibited by your doubt in this new framework and your indecision. Your TI is "tripping" you up because it is foreign to your natural decision making process.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->

Ah, now this post is quite curious.

They say inferior-Te is often concerned with "closure", although the individual is often lacking explanation why.

Now, I'm not saying you're F-dom ... but possibly this information could steer you in the Te direction?

How come you not make video?

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
Ah, now this post is quite curious.

They say inferior-Te is often concerned with "closure", although the individual is often lacking explanation why.
No, I know why.

I've realized (from both personal experience and watching from a distance) that indecisive people tend to fail, a lot. For instance, my roommate still hasn't even made a decision where he will be attending school next year, if at all. He's going "wherever the wind takes me". Blech.

I would rather choose a side and be wrong (but have the opportunity to be right) than not take a side at all (and always live in a state of stress). If I make a decision, it's there and out of mind, so I can fill my head with more useful stuff like cartoons and candy.

How come you not make video?
Long story. Short story: my C: drive broke, causing everything to go kaboom. Had my uncle fix it, only put in new drive. No graphics card, no previous features. No webcam.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
INFJ

You are right in the stage where you are using the function of your TI to help you with decision making. This may make you appear to be a very logical but it is not your dominate function. This is exhibited by your doubt in this new framework and your indecision. Your TI is "tripping" you up because it is foreign to your natural decision making process.
In certain situations, my T function fails me. But similarly, I seem to be acting much more with my F function at times as well, and it also goes awry. When I was little I know I focused hard on Ni. I think maybe I skipped the stage where I started using my next function lol.

Although now that I think about it, growing up through middle school/ high school, I would say I used F more than T, which would be the time period one starts to use the secondary function? It's especially awkward when you're young and your first two functions are intuition and feeling.

If you're right, then I hope my Ti develops quickly.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
I think maybe I skipped the stage where I started using my next function lol.

And your age is 20! Are you outright rejecting the idea that the auxiliary function isn't well-developed until the mid-20s?

(Except for INTPs, who are apparently born ready)

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
And your age is 20! Are you outright rejecting the idea that the auxiliary function isn't well-developed until the mid-20s?

(Except for INTPs, who are apparently born ready)

I can't say, because I haven't any way to quantify that.

Top Bottom