• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Immense displeasure after finding a flaw in theory you made.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 11:23 AM
-->
Has anyone faced this issue? Apparently i make theories after a lot of research, thought and empirical evidences. I don't like to be proven wrong per se and I defend my theory by all my might usually not in vain. But there have been sometimes when my theories have apparently been wrong. Including a giant one which caused me to underdo social engineering and a lot of investigation. I devised the grand theory and execute the if then block because the if argument fitted perfectly.

Skip forward to two months later and suddenly I get contradictory evidence regarding my precisely designed theory and I'm completely shaken, not to mention my self esteem took a sudden hit because one of my biggest theories which I trusted blindly suddenly has threats to be proven bullshit. Now, I've veered off track, trying to find the flaw but my brain is too overwhelmed since the past 2 days to even process the source code and decompile it. This is causing me internal turmoil to its massive level. Also, one more thing to add, I had gone rogue and broken all possible moral codes on the quest of proving myself right.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Turnevies

Local time
Today 6:53 AM
-->
No theory is perfect. This is where Popperianism comes into play: theories are only your best guess to rely on as long as they haven't been proven wrong in the situation of interest. One should be as critical as possible towards ones own theories and actively try to refute them as much as possible.

Also,
The Relativity of Wrong-Isaac Asomov

In short, use the best theory you know at a given time it and update it with the new evidence you will encounter.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
Today 1:53 AM
-->
Lions and Tigers AND Bears ... Oh My!!!

INTPs ARE theoreticians; get used to it.
Fortunately, our bodies work on good sound biochemical bases which continue to work even if (y)our theoretical mental models either outright DON'T are don't work as well as we'd like.

As you waxed philosophical about your theory I presented clues to both you and those who would be tasked to attack it if it were a Phd dissertation or Masters thesis.
That you dismissed MOST of what I presented would NOT prevent those tasked with challenging your theory from using what I presented against IT ... with you identifying-with IT as its progenitor.

It WAS just a theory, dude.
You'd do better to re-think and re-frame it as A Work In Progress.
Live and learn.
You can either bin it or modify it as you go and grow ... developmentally, intellectually.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
When theories are formed and followed at cost of morality, it better be worth it. That's what I believe. The slightest of the contradiction can reign in a slew of guilt.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
-->
The slightest of the contradiction can reign in a slew of guilt.

And that guilt can be motivational toward reformation, re-configuration, growth, and development.
So ... are you going to autoflagilate, gnash your teeth, bemoan your fate, curse the gods for your mortal flaws ... or get on with growing, developing, and PLAYING towards a more highly developed life form?

How about using your own theory as a Rorshach Test?
Can you reveal what you presently regard flaws, oversimplifications, or shortcomings and the `contradictions' you've come to apperceive?
If you give a go you might experience some catharsis while possibly helping other smartass teenage INTPs.
Just a thought.
Let you con-science -- er, ah, I mean `philosophy' -- be your guide.;)

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
There is a big backstory behind all this but I'm unsure about making confessions on a public forum

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
-->
There is a big backstory behind all this but I'm unsure about making confessions on a public forum

As you wish.

By way of a general difficulty in contriving a `philosophical' `theory' which allows one to descriptively model or predicatively model REALITY, one is confronted with the same problems mathematicians have in mapping their metaphysical entites onto Real World extant entities occupying/displacing `space' as extant as Mass-Energy in a field of SpaceTime.
To wit, for metaphysical tetrahedra to exist or manifest they necessarily have to as mass, energy, mass-energy, or such; a metaphysical distinction or idea has NO mass-energy any more than a real number does within the metaphysical Universe of Discourse of mathematics.
If one can't map nouns of type `idea' onto one-or-more of the other 3 types in the forms of Person, Place, or materially-energetically extant THING then one is probably dabbling with figments of imagination qualifying as philosophical metaphysics, psychological delusion, or both.

Unspecified mass, unspecified energy `things' metaphysically EXISTING -- because I, through the magic of authorial intent, SAY SO -- in a Tetrahedra-spatial, discrete-temporal field ... this was the picture you were trying to paint via your `theory', no?

Regardless of backstory confessions can you now CONFESS your present `understanding' of the process which led you down the garden path to guilt and self-consciousness?
And perhaps how the lessons learned will modify how you hope to proceed henceforth until the next deeply-affective insight comes your way?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:53 PM
-->
You're not trying to summon daemons with your computer program, are you? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust

Faust is the protagonist of a classic German legend, based on the historical Johann Georg Faust (c. 1480–1540).

Faust is a scholar who is highly successful yet dissatisfied with his life, which leads him to make a pact with the Devil, exchanging his soul for unlimited knowledge and worldly pleasures. The Faust legend has been the basis for many literary, artistic, cinematic, and musical works that have reinterpreted it through the ages. "Faust" and the adjective "Faustian" imply a situation in which an ambitious person surrenders moral integrity in order to achieve power and success for a delimited term.[1][2]

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 8:53 AM
-->
displeasure?this is the all point of talking with people, I wish I had more pleasure moment to discover where I am wrong/inaccurate.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
As you wish.

By way of a general difficulty in contriving a `philosophical' `theory' which allows one to descriptively model or predicatively model REALITY, one is confronted with the same problems mathematicians have in mapping their metaphysical entites onto Real World extant entities occupying/displacing `space' as extant as Mass-Energy in a field of SpaceTime.
To wit, for metaphysical tetrahedra to exist or manifest they necessarily have to as mass, energy, mass-energy, or such; a metaphysical distinction or idea has NO mass-energy any more than a real number does within the metaphysical Universe of Discourse of mathematics.
If one can't map nouns of type `idea' onto one-or-more of the other 3 types in the forms of Person, Place, or materially-energetically extant THING then one is probably dabbling with figments of imagination qualifying as philosophical metaphysics, psychological delusion, or both.

Unspecified mass, unspecified energy `things' metaphysically EXISTING -- because I, through the magic of authorial intent, SAY SO -- in a Tetrahedra-spatial, discrete-temporal field ... this was the picture you were trying to paint via your `theory', no?

Regardless of backstory confessions can you now CONFESS your present `understanding' of the process which led you down the garden path to guilt and self-consciousness?
And perhaps how the lessons learned will modify how you hope to proceed henceforth until the next deeply-affective insight comes your way?
I will try my best to not sound stupid but as a kid I've been extremely sensitive to emotions in general but in a very black and white way. For eg, I used to completely apathetic or too empathetic. The same goes for now. There were moments when I thought I was a psychopath because I scored abnormally low on empathy while sometimes I've thought myself as an HSP. I'm able to express my emotions via different mediums effectively in the form of art

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Okay wait, a daemon process or a demon?

both :cool:

Or was it you created your own universe with sentient beings in it using simulated physics cellular automata? And you killed them all by wiping your system? They had every right to live and now they are dead.

(you could have created self-aware malware that it damaging thing on the internet)

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
both :cool:

Or was it you created your own universe with sentient beings in it using simulated physics cellular automata? And you killed them all by wiping your system? They had every right to live and now they are dead.

(you could have created self-aware malware that it damaging thing on the internet)
More like flipped the switches of certain cellular automata that caused the neighborhood to go quiescent and disable its functioning to a great extent so that the cellular automatons can't make now patterns like they used to before.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:23 PM
-->
There are certain ways that I like to be proven wrong.

I like it when there's just something that I hadn't thought of that completely flips the tables. I also like it when the paradigm I was working under is too small and narrow, and is questioned from a broader perspective. These are the times that I feel like my understanding jumps forward. I think it may also be that the things I think aren't that wrong, they're just limited, and it's easier to learn new things than to unlearn old things.

The times where it's more difficult to accept I'm wrong is when I've heavily invested in a particular premise for a bunch of other things, and that premise turns out wrong. When that's the case, it feels really overwhelming and unpleasant because suddenly there's far reaching consequences in terms of the structure of my understanding. This is particularly the case when it's just an introduced uncertainty, which mean now I don't get to be confident *and* I'm also only learning what might be the case.

I think having your self-esteem tied to your beliefs is a dangerous place to be (though not uncommon).

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 4:53 PM
-->
Haha yeah I get proven wrong sometimes (usually in my work), and it feels totally lame. But on the plus side, I prove others wrong as much or more, so the feeling of victory usually balances out the feeling of loss.

But at the same time, I firmly believe that the humbling you get from being proven wrong is immensely beneficial to your development, and is just a hugely positive thing in the grand scheme.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
Update :I was able to approach the quiescent automaton today along with the rogue neighborhood. Neither the automaton was functioning well nor was the neighborhood. Seemed more like their self-sufficient capacity has been sucked away.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:53 AM
-->
When you are proven wrong you know you did something right – namely you made a falsifiable theory. That is good.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
Here is how the story goes : Just like john von neumann, I was trying to discover to find a self-reproducing, self-sufficient cellular automaton with an adequate neighborhood to induce stability and simulate a world which operates on patterns quite effectively. After a lot of effort I was able to find the apparently correct automaton with one state with 5 neighborhood cells.

There was a point when the seemingly self sufficient automata started showing bizarre behaviour. The sort which I had never observed. Turns out one of the cells had gone rogue with two simultaneously states. This, obviously, broke the whole pattern and the perfect loop I had created after suffering a great deal and taking a lot of effort. The cell had to be quarantined so that it couldn't destroy the neighborhood or induce complete chaos. However, the quarantined automaton started influencing automatons around me and created a realm of uncertainty. I had to shut it down or make it quiescent again which I was able to, to disable its 2 state-nature. After that my own neighborhood came crashing down when every cell disseminated itself to different neighbourhoods. Fast forward to 2 months later, the rogue cellular automaton is randomly selecting its own desired dimension and time t to function to fit the lattice without any malfunctioning. It's successful but suffers a great of random behaviour. My automaton now possesses multiple states which cycle aperiodically in a crystalline form.

As a scientist, I was disappointed in my own creation which sought to destroy my carefully created simulation after being in a recursively pathetic one in the past.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Now, I've veered off track, trying to find the flaw but my brain is too overwhelmed since the past 2 days to even process the source code and decompile it. This is causing me internal turmoil to its massive level. Also, one more thing to add, I had gone rogue and broken all possible moral codes on the quest of proving myself right.

So you made a self-replicating crystal in your computer. What moral code could you have broken doing this? Is it Kant's Categorical imperative?

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
So you made a self-replicating crystal in your computer. What moral code could you have broken doing this? Is it Kant's Categorical imperative?
Sometimes I wish our brain could encrypt memories with 256BIT-AES without releasing any of the keys for the memory but then INTPs will spend their time trying to use decryption algorithms and stay sad because they won't be able to crack when other types will be happier fucking off without the keys and the curiosity

elliptoid

the void is a lie
Local time
-->
Only INTPs know the true struggle.

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 5:53 AM
-->
Has anyone faced this issue? Apparently i make theories after a lot of research, thought and empirical evidences. I don't like to be proven wrong per se and I defend my theory by all my might usually not in vain. But there have been sometimes when my theories have apparently been wrong. Including a giant one which caused me to underdo social engineering and a lot of investigation. I devised the grand theory and execute the if then block because the if argument fitted perfectly.

Skip forward to two months later and suddenly I get contradictory evidence regarding my precisely designed theory and I'm completely shaken, not to mention my self esteem took a sudden hit because one of my biggest theories which I trusted blindly suddenly has threats to be proven bullshit. Now, I've veered off track, trying to find the flaw but my brain is too overwhelmed since the past 2 days to even process the source code and decompile it. This is causing me internal turmoil to its massive level. Also, one more thing to add, I had gone rogue and broken all possible moral codes on the quest of proving myself right.

yeah, but there is also an advantage - you can improve your theory, or make another one, so I like the feeling you described, it announces that I will start something new :)

Top Bottom