• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

I or an E or just a construct of society?

philos_sophia

Redshirt
Local time
Today, 14:48
I came out on my myers-briggs test as an ENTP, but i keep wondering whether i have just been indoctrinated by society into believing that only as an extrovert will i be able to survive. How do you know how to answer any question about yourself, what you really think or feel when you have no idea which voice in your head is yours and which is society's? It's a toughie. Any ideas?

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
Today, 06:48
That's a problem that a lot of MBTI professionals are trying to deal with. Genetic personality type is only a facet of someone's behavior and so the requirements of existence is to meet those requirements with adjustments to your own system of being.

In Britain being clever and adaptable (arguably an P trait) are masculine traits, while in United States being a "man of action" (arguably an E trait) is far more important. Those aren't mutually exclusive, but they certainly color how people type themselves and these are two VERY related countries. The trouble is multiplied when trying to test people from Denmark or China.

The question is all about finding the context of your society. Figure out what you do that someone in the same environment as you would not. Think of it like creating destructive interference (for anyone familiar with wave theory... sorry I was a Comm guy in the military and I can't think of a more accessible metaphor).

My advice would be to research some British type authors and read what they have to say about type instead of trying to decipher the U.S. experience. Its not an easy thing to do since most of the material is centralized here, but then maybe Jung might be better (he was Swiss, so at least you're geographically closer). His writings are tough reads, but well worth understanding. He was a very bright man.

I won't be able to judge the quality of conversion, but I'll try to find some resources more in line with your background.

___

I was just thinking this morning that I could make a masterpiece project out of writing a computer program that sorted what test to give someone based on their input of personal data and their perception of their environment. Properly done I bet it could increase accuracy immensely.

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 09:48
I was kinda wondering this... but for me it was pretty easy to tell. My parents pushed extroversion and judging pretty hard on me, so that the fact that I'm actually still very I/P (along with how I shifted back into myself after going to college) pretty much convinces me that I'm those. Environment affects you, definitely... but if the MBTI tells you anything innate at all, then the INTP in you will win out. After all, we're not ESFJs to be pushed around and shaped by our environment... isn't it a type thing that we reject anything trying to manipulate us almost by instinct? I assumed it was, but I guess it could just be me.

Artifice Orisit

I came out on my myers-briggs test as an ENTP, but i keep wondering whether i have just been indoctrinated by society into believing that only as an extrovert will i be able to survive. How do you know how to answer any question about yourself, what you really think or feel when you have no idea which voice in your head is yours and which is society's? It's a toughie. Any ideas?
There is nothing wrong with being an ENTP; anyway you could be a borderline I-E

But if you really want to know...

Introverts prefer thinking separate from interaction with other people. Many will describe their mind as being a "shell"; the inside of which they decorate with information.

Extroverts will communicate for the pleasure of communicating and don't keep thoughts to themselves. Instead they function almost as a hive mind, constantly sharing information and keeping each other informed of their activities.

tmtaylor

Redshirt
Local time
Today, 08:48
Well being in the U.S. and the corperate world the thing that holds me back is no intellect but lack of public speaking skills and the general pain in the ass of having to explain everything to people that dont understand.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today, 07:48
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I don't have that question too often since I'm a strong introvert, despite my being pushed to be an E. Also, you have to recognize the difference between introversion and shyness. Shyness can certainly be debilitating, and could be a matter of survival. Introversion, on the other hand just means to think before you act, not have as many social needs, and needing alone time. That can be just as advantageous as the E characteristics.

Top Bottom