• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

how to not waste your life

sushi

Local time
Today, 06:55
new rule: just say what you want to get done by end of month, or end of the week, and try to make it.

Local time
Today, 17:55
I stopped making to-do lists a while ago and started keeping what I call a Register of Commitments, which is a list of commitments I’ve made to people. I only write down items I’ve said to someone that I will do. The difference is that with a register of commitments, I focus my time on doing things that are going to be measured, not things that I’ve fabricated in order to be ‘busy’ - i.e. the trap inherent in to-do lists.

All the other time is mine to spend as I please.

(I thought of this after I realised I was failing to deliver on commitments, despite always attacking my to-do list furiously and seemingly getting nowhere. It taught me to value my time more and only promise to do things if I was willing to write it in the register.)

I’ve found I don’t need it outside of work, so it lives on my desk only, which keeps me feeling more free.

Local time
register of commitments is a great idea but the name is very official

i have made this new list also, but called it "stuff i should probably do"

thanks happy for your terribly named great idea

Local time
Nah it’s a great name - Gives an air of importance to my silly little drawings :p

I deliberately gave it an important sounding name so that I wouldn’t write its contents off as unimportant. It’s a product of me knowing how useless my brain is.

Local time
Just do stuff. Whatever you want. It's pretty simple really. People just like to complicate shit out of laziness and fear of reality.

But if you ever want to get that cosmic nutt off you just gotta Shia LaBeouf tha shit.

Local time
I second what Minute Squirrel said. "Just do stuff", is definitely the very best advice that you can give to any one (or at least anyone who fits the general patterns of an INTP.)

For a lot of us, getting overly focused on lists is a recipe for disaster. It just leads to anxiety or procrastination or just generally getting stuck in a rut, or at worst you actually get stuff done but then burn-out because you haven't included downtime.

Just make sure that you do something.

Top Bottom