• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How do you feel about organ farming?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:20 PM
-->
With genetically modified pigs that have biocompatible organs that have some (not all) of your DNA.

Pigs are quite intelligent animals and although eating them doesn't bother me and I'd jump at the opportunity to have spare parts, I'd feel odd about eating a pig while one of its former organs is alive and well in my body.

Autocannibalism by proxy?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:20 AM
-->
I say do it. Easily. I don't have any sentimental concerns about organs. I carry an organ donor card in my wallet in case I get blasted away and someone needs a spare kidney.

We're all just organic material, pigs included. Nothing wrong with sharing it as long as it works.

You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world
Tyler in Fight Club

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 7:20 AM
-->
Why not grow the parts you need in a lab?

Is the process so slow you'd need to have all/ most of the organs in standby in case you need them? I mean, every individual having their own pig seems a bit excessive? Or am I missing something?

Or is this supposed to be a hypotetical specifically about pigs and organs?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:20 AM
-->

Is the process so slow you'd need to have all/ most of the organs in standby in case you need them? I mean, every individual having their own pig seems a bit excessive? Or am I missing something?

I believe that when people talk about growing organs in the lab, they are talking about infusing animals with human genes so that they grow the human organs. Obviously one cannot grow an organ out of nothing – something needs to provide it with proteins, blood, etc. But as far as I know, that technique is not realistic yet, whereas transplants of animal organs is being done already. I think heart valves from pigs are already being used in humans.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I see.

So it's impossible to take a biopsy from an animal and a human and grow it in a lab, at least as of today? I guess I should just search for this stuff.

I'd say having a pig out there with fused genetic organs ready for use seems like something that would be an unnecessary cost? Something neurotic , rich people would pay a lot of money for because they were scared of death. Or maybe the statistics on people needing a new organ during their lifetime is higher than I think. I guess it also depends on what type of longevity we're talking about, and how healthy/ young we're able to keep ourselves. If our technology progresses soon to where we'll able to live for significantly longer.

But if you're already sick or otherwise in need of an organ, that's something else. I'd say there's a high probability I'd pay for an animal's suffering (if it involved suffering, not really sure what the premises in this scenario is since I don't really know anything about this topic) to prevent my own death. I think having a pig on standby is something I'd not do, though. I prefer having as few animals suffering on my behalf as possible, but if I were dying I'd probably be less concerned about it. Or maybe I'd turn out to be more idealistic than I think.

The premise of putting foreign organs in my body is fine. The topic about animal suffering is more dependant on various factors.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:20 PM
-->

It's much easier to make transgenic animals and have them grow organs at the moment.

As for in vitro organogenisis (growing organs in a lab), what we currently have are organoids has been reported to range from 200 μm to 4 mm which are generated via stem cells. Not exactly enough to make an actual organ.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
[
It's much easier to make transgenic animals and have them grow organs at the moment.

As for in vitro organogenisis (growing organs in a lab), what we currently have are organoids has been reported to range from 200 μm to 4 mm which are generated via stem cells. Not exactly enough to make an actual organ.

Really? That's it? Living in the stone age suck. take me to the future plz

The new question is, would you be willing to have a human on standby :hypnotized:

What is the factor that makes it ok to have a pig on standby vs a human? Obviously pigs have the ability to feel fear and pain, they are able to suffer. So how and why do we justify suffering in another creature?

This actually made me reconsider using pigs for my benefit (as I stated previously). Even though pigs can't reason the way human does, I'd have to reconsider due to their ability to suffer.

Deleted member 1424

We can always genetically modify the pig not to feel pain. :alien:

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
We can always genetically modify the pig not to feel pain. :alien:

Yep we can do that. I think one of the genes that needs knocking is responsible for producing Nav1.7.

travelnjones

Local time
Yesterday 11:20 PM
-->
I have had a transplant. I am for more organs in the pool.

Also I am for each of you getting your donor checked yes. Especially if you are O neg like me.

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
Today 8:20 AM
-->
this is one of those ideas that is firmly in the "never to be opened" box for me.
no telling what kind of pathogens could be spawned from this.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
this is one of those ideas that is firmly in the "never to be opened" box for me.
no telling what kind of pathogens could be spawned from this.

But the never to be opened boxes are the most fun ones

Top Bottom