• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How curious are you?

intpz

Banned
Local time
Today, 23:16
I'm very curious about a lot of things, about the reasons on "why" something is(n't) how it is(n't), and the reasons "how" it could be, could've been, would be, will be, etc.. I like asking questions.

How about you? Do you ask questions in various situations, where most people don't? And I don't mean intuitive stuff, I mean things that aren't intuitive, things that are personal, are opinion-oriented, etc..

hablahdoo

Local time
Today, 18:16
I always verbally elaborate to myself very deeply on anything I learn, yes. I think it's to an extreme. It allows me to relate it back to other paths of understanding and remember it well.

A bit of a tangent, but what's funny is that it can hurt as well. This need to connect ideas could be the reason I'm doing so poorly in Calculus. Math is like a language that I don't actually speak; I just translate all of the concepts into English. And it gets way too damn complicated.

intpz

Banned
Local time
It can hurt when interacting with some people, in particular those who don't like details.

"I was flying, there was turbulence, waitresses' plate slipped and end up stuck in some fat dude's skull! How unusual is that?"

"Where were you flying?"

"Why were you flying there?"

"*assuming it's something interesting* How did it go?"

"How the hell could the plate slip that way, did you see it happening?"

I know that this would get annoying to me, but if I'm in the mood of actually interacting with somebody, that's what I most likely would do. If not, I'd likely wouldn't interact with the guy in the first place, instead would tell him that I'm staying home and playing Skyrim, or whatever is the popular game now. (Hm, I don't even know what's the popular game right now. Oh well, most of them suck anyway...)

skip

Sock connoisseur
Local time
Today, 16:16
Curiosity is a driving force in my life. Thank God for the internet. I try to curb those kinds of questions in conversation unless I really know the person I'm talking to, they do annoy a lot of [small-minded] people. That kind of constant self-editing saps my energy reserves.

skip

Sock connoisseur
Local time
It's annoying when they include the smallest detail to the detriment of the big picture. I have an ISTP friend who tells a story by beginning with all the tiny details. He might as well be speaking another language, I just get lost.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Curiosity is a manifestation of Ne, our second strongest function. The degree of curiosity changes daily, yearly and over a lifetime for a Ne oriented INTP. There is a tension and balance between Ti and Ne. Ti wants to get some work done (as a judging function), and Ne wants to play, learn and discover new things.

It is hard to characterize how strong my curiosity is because it changes all the time. Certainly I try to keep it somewhat under control so I get work done. However coming here and answering questions like this is an example of Ne taking a break (I'm not solving a problem I have with a build at the moment for example).

intpz

Banned
Local time
@skip Yea, I know an ISTP too, he does that, every little detail. Good thing it's a chat, so I can go take a shit, come back to make sure he hasn't stopped yet, make some tea, come back and then read while he finishes up typing the rest of the unimportant details. :D

By the way, does he often change topics? The guy I know often goes from one topic to another. It's a chat though.

@Architect it depends on your mood and the situation.

skip

Sock connoisseur
Local time
@skip By the way, does he often change topics? The guy I know often goes from one topic to another.
Yes but I think I do that, too. I just get lost when he gives details and I have no idea what the topic/big picture is. For example, one of the doors in his home sticks a little. The screws in the top hinge are loose and I asked if he couldn't just replace them with longer screws and his reply was "You have no idea how thin!" Wtf? How was that an answer to my question? How thin? How thin is what? The screws, the hinge, the door, the walls, what? It turned out he meant the wood in the door frame. The appropriate answer would have been, "No, the wood in the door frame is very thin, the screws would just poke through it," but he's an ISTP so I just got "You have no idea how thin!"

intpz

Banned
Local time
Yes but I think I do that, too. I just get lost when he gives details and I have no idea what the topic/big picture is. For example, one of the doors in his home sticks a little. The screws in the top hinge are loose and I asked if he couldn't just replace them with longer screws and his reply was "You have no idea how thin!" Wtf? How was that an answer to my question? How thin? How thin is what? The screws, the hinge, the door, the walls, what? It turned out he meant the wood in the door frame. The appropriate answer would have been, "No, the wood in the door frame is very thin, the screws would just poke through it," but he's an ISTP so I just got "You have no idea how thin!"
What I meant was that he changes topics in the middle of the discussion. Me, I want to talk about the thing until there's nothing to talk about, while he seems to have "mind bounces," sometimes he just shoots a completely unrelated message while we're still talking about something else.

That's an interesting answer about the door. :confused:

jaetwee

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:16
I once broke my clock when trying to open it up to see how it worked. Then I realised that they were designed in a way that isn't supposed to be taken apart.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
How curious are you NOT.

I am not curious. That's why I strictly limit myself only to these things but will allow for occasional unlimited unnamed exceptions:

1. Economics - saying it's complicated (al a Proxy) is an excuse. Anything can be looked at from the top down, simplifying it, though that can't reproduce it. Economics is not economics. I want to know why economists can't admit they are political ... or do they?

2. Quantum mechanics. Einstein said, "God doesn't play dice." I say, "God doesn't permit contradictions." This quantum mechanics thing has got to be straightened out and I won't rest until it is. There are no contradictions. You agree, don't you (else I may kill you)?

3. Why is my cat (Siamese) meowing as I type this? After all she has plenty of food. I asked her why and she refuses to explain.

4. Cognisant is an INTP. I know that because he says so. So why is he so angry at believers in God? I want to know if he will accept God as a concept? If he does that, he can kick God's butt all he wants to. I'm sure God won't mind and neither will he.

5. I am I think. But how can anything exist that we should be in the middle of it? I don't care if stuff is given some name like "matter" or "energy" or "silly strings." Kill those names! I insist on sweating the small stuff. BTW after thinking it over, I'm not so sure I am. Are you?

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
Dangerously so.

Bucca

Local time
Google has been a good friend of mine. Though I am too flighty with my curiosity. It is all over the place and all it leads too are random facts and nothing more.

Top Bottom