• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How could I find out if I am an INTP? (or what am I...?)

Local time
Today 9:01 PM
-->
I have done mbti online tests maybe about 20-30 times in the past 12 years.

I have gotten different results from the tests. Almost half a time I get the ENTP as a result. Then maybe 25% of times the result has been INTP. Then about 25% for ENFP too. And once I even remember getting INFP as a result.

INFP I don't really recognize in myself too much. I'm not anykind of a "poetic soul" or any of that INFP stuff.

ENFP I could be, but I know two ENFPs (have taken the test), and they are very different from me. They are just so bubbly and happy, I'm not (would like to be happier and better in social situations, though).

ENTP I also could be, and I identify the ENTP descriptions quite a lot. It's just that I'm actually quite awkward socially. I have good ideas but mostly I'm left alone with my ideas, I can't sell them to other people. Doesn't sound very ENTP. The descriptions at least paint ENTPs master salesmen who naturally inspire people to join their ideas.

Then finally INTP. I identify a lot with the INTP descriptions. But there are some parts that really contradict with me. For example, I suck at math. Or, I don't totally suck at math, I just hate the way it's done (you know, step by step by step by step by step....). And because I hate that, I have never really been interested in studying a lot of math.

So how to find out what am I?

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
learn the functions how they work and discern which ones you use thereafter find the appropiate type among the now much fewer alternatives

Local time
-->
learn the functions how they work and discern which ones you use thereafter find the appropiate type among the now much fewer alternatives

I know about the functions, I was just lazy and didn't write anything about them.

Something that I know for sure is that I have strong Ne. It's probably the most defining thing about me. At the same time, I'm not a very social person. I like to hang out with people, but I can also stay many days just by myself, wondering all stuff I'm interested in. So, you could think I would be maybe introverted then. But being an introvert would mean that my dominant function would be either Ti or Fi. Whereas, if I try to assess myself, I would say that my Ti is only mediocre, and my Fi is quite near it, but even a bit less.

So either I'm an ENTP or ENFP with bad social skills and unsocial attitude, or I'm an INTP with an auxiliary function being a lot stronger than the supposed-to-be dominant function. :confused:

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 4:01 PM
-->
how did you come to exclude the INTJ and INFJ type? :O

This. INFJs are mistaken for INTPs a lot.

I work out finding someones type by trying to figure out their dominate function, and then their inferior. (These are usually the most obvious) Do not get what you observe mixed up with peoples personas though.

The inferior function is a little harder to observe in other people. But from your own view it's usually what you try to hide from everyone else. Or what you try to avoid. (people you complain about / hate also normally have a link with your inferior somehow)

Online tests are also helpful, though good ones are hard to find. (I had a few bookmarked but lost them) And as obvious as I think it is, BE HONEST when filling them out. Don't be putting what you would LIKE to think.

Lastly, I wouldn't stress too much over it. Just pick one and roll with it until you get enough evidence that piles up to say "you don't fit very well with this type". It's just a theory, it's easy to change your mind :P.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I have done mbti online tests maybe about 20-30 times in the past 12 years.

I have gotten different results from the tests. Almost half a time I get the ENTP as a result. Then maybe 25% of times the result has been INTP. Then about 25% for ENFP too. And once I even remember getting INFP as a result.

INFP I don't really recognize in myself too much. I'm not anykind of a "poetic soul" or any of that INFP stuff.

ENFP I could be, but I know two ENFPs (have taken the test), and they are very different from me. They are just so bubbly and happy, I'm not (would like to be happier and better in social situations, though).

ENTP I also could be, and I identify the ENTP descriptions quite a lot. It's just that I'm actually quite awkward socially. I have good ideas but mostly I'm left alone with my ideas, I can't sell them to other people. Doesn't sound very ENTP. The descriptions at least paint ENTPs master salesmen who naturally inspire people to join their ideas.

Then finally INTP. I identify a lot with the INTP descriptions. But there are some parts that really contradict with me. For example, I suck at math. Or, I don't totally suck at math, I just hate the way it's done (you know, step by step by step by step by step....). And because I hate that, I have never really been interested in studying a lot of math.

So how to find out what am I?

I was certain that I was INTP before I learned about cognitive functions now I can't be sure.

I am either INTP or ENTP. The thing is they both you the exact same functions just in a different order. My strongest function really depends on the situation and the day. I have a very strong TI and NE however I am most diffidently and introverts in all situations.

However, hearing about other introverted experiences and living with my wife I am starting to realize that I am a far healthier version of introvert then most INTP or even other intervened types.

My Introvertedness come for a enjoy alone time and meditation/thinking time. However I am not the least bit bothered by crowed or talking to strangers. As a matter of fact I enjoy talking to strangers more than speaking with people that believe they know me well.

Therefore I could be ENTP just a leaning introverted. From my reaserch it does appear that ENTPs are the least social of all the Extroverted types. Then again outside of the fact that I don't match the intervened level most INTP I am very much identical to the stereotypical INTP and I have never test anything other then INTP.

I do match some of the ENTP characteristics but mostly because it also the closest to INTP that I have seen. Most of the ENTP stereotype is socially forward INTP.

From my research I can only conclude that I personal am a XNTP or hybrid ENTP/INTP. Form my research on with Jung typing he actually expected that most people were not Introverts or Extroverts some where in between in a more healthy state.

I don't know if my experiences relates to yours or I haven't had any test tell me anything but INTP. However, you did say that ENTP and INTP seem to fit you the best as well.

Anyway I hope I helped.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
Today 2:01 PM
-->
K are you an Fe type or Fi type?

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
Today 1:01 PM
-->
For example, I suck at math. Or, I don't totally suck at math, I just hate the way it's done (you know, step by step by step by step by step....). And because I hate that, I have never really been interested in studying a lot of math.?

Sucking at math shouldn't be a factor in predicting your personality type. I'm an INTP and suck terribly at math :P

I agree with what others have stated, you really have to look at the functions to know your type. To be Ti-dominant means that you have a subjective way of thinking that leads your decision-making process. That is, you'll have a logical framework of information in your mind that you have carefully created by deducing things down to the bare facts. You'll use this framework to compare things outside of yourself to.

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
Today 2:01 PM
-->
Something that I know for sure is that I have strong Ne.

Can you please elaborate why you think you have strong Ne? What are some examples in your daily life where you think you display strong Ne?

Otherwise, if you think Ne defines you, then why doubt ENTP? You also say that you 'like to hang out with people' but can keep to yourself for days at a time. It almost sounds like a preference for hanging out with people, but there are times when you are not around others for days at a time. What are you doing when you are alone for those times?

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 10:01 PM
-->
Sucking at math shouldn't be a factor in predicting your personality type. I'm an INTP and suck terribly at math :P

every MBTI test has one question about math

you suck at math

strongly agreee [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] strongly disagree

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

you suck at math

We must be taking different tests. I don't find mean MBTI test that state someone preference for school subjects.

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
Today 1:01 PM
-->

you suck at math

That's why I don't really trust written questionnaires. How would one's ability in math predict their personality type? Ability in any academic subject is more about educational background, influence of culture and family, personal goals, and interest.

If there were to be any correlation between INTPs and academic tendencies, it would most likely be with language systems/writing/spelling/grammar. From what I've seen, INTPs tend to be very particular with their words and have extensive vocabularies.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 5:31 AM
-->
Would an appreciation for math be predictive of personality type? I suck at math (having done very very little of it), but I intrinsically value the explanatory and predictive power of mathematics. In a different life I feel I could have decided to be a mathematician.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
Would an appreciation for math be predictive of personality type? I suck at math (having done very very little of it), but I intrinsically value the explanatory and predictive power of mathematics. In a different life I feel I could have decided to be a mathematician.

I like math at a distance. I don't enjoy doing it. It's all just knowing little tricks to make the equation balance out. There's nothing too amazing about learning that.

I imagine it like those puzzles where you get symbols to equal letters and you just have to match them. (This may be not giving math enough credit, but that's what it feels like every time I do math)

Edit: The concepts that math produces are all the interest me from it. I can say understand the idea of quantum mechanics or relativity, extra dimensions, but I know jack all about the math behind it.

Top Bottom