• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Holy shit

murkrow

Local time
Today 2:04 PM
-->
The chicks in DR. No are like, amazingly beautiful.

murkrow

Local time
-->
It's unrealistic for Honey Rider to be that gracefully beautiful.

She's supposed to be poor and somewhat stupid.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 8:04 PM
-->
Öhm, would you care to albourate that? I suppose i just don't get the references "DR" and "Honey Rider"...

Ogion

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:04 PM
-->
Says google that Honey Rider was the first Bond Girl in the movie Dr No. Dunno anything about it tho

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Please refrain from swearing in thread titles... please.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
Although i find it unnecessary here, i am curious: Wisp and Vrecknidj, do you find that offending or something? I mean personally i am totally indifferent to it, so i am interested if it has significance to you?

Ogion

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
-->
I can understand not wanting the forums to degenerate into mind mush, but sometimes vulgarity is the best way to describe something. At least in my opinion.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:04 PM
-->
Vulgarity can be powerful. There are probably better ways of saying things, but it can be a good tool in the right hands.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It can be used to comedic effect, or as an expression of anger in realistic dialogue. What I'm saying is that it's not useless, and saying "Holy shit" is hardly objectionable.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:04 PM
-->
It all depends on the situation, as long as you have it under control and dont say gross things when meeting your girlfriends parents or in the middle of a work interview, etc. I dont see whats wrong about using them when with friends and such.

A toast to off-topicness, sometimes its for the better ! :p

PreAlgebra

Local time
Today 11:04 AM
-->
I have no idea what this thread is about?

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
This thread doesn't really have a topic. Murkrow started with some observations and the 'exclamation' "Holy Shit". Someone asked him not to swear, i asked why not, and a few said why or why not they think he could swear...

Ogion

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
Today 1:04 PM
-->
I don't know that I have seen this thread before. Seems appropriate to transform it to a discussion on swearing given the title.

I swear more in one post on this forum than I typically do in a whole day of real life. What does that mean? Is it that I feel unrestricted and free to express my every thought in this place, or do I just respect you fine people a whole lot less than those I meet in the real world? :eek:

I think swearing can be done in moderation. Too much swearing, and all meaning can be lost, too little swearing and they might think your not serious, but swearing in just the right amount is like a wonderful exclamation point! :D

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
i've always been curious about peoples aversion to swearing. i've been a casual (and sometimes more then casual) curser, and i wonder why some people are offended, or even just opposed to it. what happens in peoples lives that cause them to think the way they do about swearing? neither of my parents were that big on swearing (my dad did on occasion when angry, but not much) although the school i went to all of the kids were quite vulgar. some people i know do swear a lot more then necessary (adding "and shit" after a lot of the things they say or adding more of the word "fucking" into sentences then necessary) which is noticable, but its never really bothered me.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
Does any one else mentally fill in the bleeps? When I was a kid I would here the word "fuck" on tv, for instance, and I just heard it. That's all. But when it gets bleeped out you know what is supposed to go there (plus we can read lips!) and so I hear "What the *bleep*?" but I fill in the bleep in my head! So I'm actually thinking "What the fuck?" It's like audience participation! I don't think the bleeps protected my young mind, instead, it might have made it just a bit more foul.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
Does any one else mentally fill in the bleeps? When I was a kid I would here the word "fuck" on tv, for instance, and I just heard it. That's all. But when it gets bleeped out you know what is supposed to go there (plus we can read lips!) and so I hear "What the *bleep*?" but I fill in the bleep in my head! So I'm actually thinking "What the fuck?" It's like audience participation! I don't think the bleeps protected my young mind, instead, it might have made it just a bit more foul.

i still wonder why some words aren't allowd to be said on TV while others are. who the fuck decided "fuck" "shit" "cunt" "goddamn (on network television)" and "cock" are worse then the other ones?

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
Have you noticed that sometimes, particularly on those shitty (pardon my french) Saturday movies, they say the word goddamn (again, a thousand pardons) but they only bleep the "god" part of it, so it just comes out "damn" (sorry)? What the hell (that one's ok) is that about?

I've notice it many times and I wonder if its just a stupid mistake. If its intentional, here are the two possibilities why:

1. God is a curse word but Damn is not (That's my personal favorite)

2. The combination of of the two words together is more offensive than the two words separately so they shorten the whole thing but beeping damn would not make sense.

example:

Get that god*bleep* thing off my daughter!
vs.
Get that *bleep*damn thing off my daughter!

It has to stay logically consistent, you see.

Am I the only one who has noticed this? Maybe its a Bible belt thing where we keep our "shits" and "fucks" in separate sentences from words like "God" and "Jesus".

ElectricWizard

Local time
Tomorrow 2:04 AM
-->
i still wonder why some words aren't allowd to be said on TV while others are. who the fuck decided "fuck" "shit" "cunt" "goddamn (on network television)" and "cock" are worse then the other ones?
Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits, you mean?

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
Have you noticed that sometimes, particularly on those shitty (pardon my french) Saturday movies, they say the word goddamn (again, a thousand pardons) but they only bleep the "god" part of it, so it just comes out "damn" (sorry)? What the hell (that one's ok) is that about?

I've notice it many times and I wonder if its just a stupid mistake. If its intentional, here are the two possibilities why:

1. God is a curse word but Damn is not (That's my personal favorite)

2. The combination of of the two words together is more offensive than the two words separately so they shorten the whole thing but beeping damn would not make sense.

example:

Get that god*bleep* thing off my daughter!
vs.
Get that *bleep*damn thing off my daughter!

It has to stay logically consistent, you see.

Am I the only one who has noticed this? Maybe its a Bible belt thing where we keep our "shits" and "fucks" in separate sentences from words like "God" and "Jesus".

they do it with the word "asshole" too, they beep out "hole" and leave "ass" in.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
How about "Get that mother() out of here" - I hear that one in gangster movies where all those tough guys are calling each other mothers. It must be very immasculating for them.

Kudos to the moderators for not banning us yet! Free speech at its finest (?)! You guys are fucking awesome!

Devercia

Deleterious Defenistrator
Local time
-->

That would be the Normans. When the Normans took over England, the native Germanic based words that had latin equivalents were deemed vulgar and offensive, low brow. Yes, the English language pre 1066 was almost completely vulgar. Words like shit, fuck, cunt were replaced by latin based words like feces, copulate, and vagina to anyone who wanted to seem high class and identify themselves with Normans instead of those dirty English.

Strangely enough, most Latin based words for explicative are euphemisms unto themselves. Penis means tail.

I am not offended by vulgarity, but I dislike how many use it. It all has to do with ethos. If a person never uses vulgarity, when they do it means something. Others see this empowerment and use it long after the positive effect on their ethos wears off, and it becomes superlative, making them look foolish for continuing to do so.

I find it interesting that there are groups(like Bill Cosby and Oprah) who want to ban the word nigger. Constitutional rights aside, doing so would only empower the word. Leaving it alone is usually the best way to get rid of it. It either becomes overused and losses its meaning( as is happening, it is sometimes a term of endearment), or people forget about it. If its banned, it will be the first English word people will learn, as vulgarities are always first for some reason. Im actually angry that something simular was done to the word niggardly. Its totally unrelated but just sounded too much like it :(

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
"Cunt" has the close equivalent "cunnus" in Latin, though no relationship has been conclusively shown. It could have been borrowed from the languages of the Germanic tribes to Latin, or vice versa, I suppose. Just thought I'd point that out!

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
The word "cunt" sounds so warm and inviting to me, like its a nice place to visit. You could almost use it in a very cozy and warm context in an alternate universe.

"Come into my cunt and have a drink."

"I would like to visit your cunt on the hillside in the country."

"All the sea men gathered at the cunt around dawn and sang songs of liberation."

Why is it considered a swear word?

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
Frued was born in Moravia but was trained in Vienna.
Vienna is in Austria which primarily speaks German (or a form of German).
This explains where we got the term motherfucker.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
The word "cunt" sounds so warm and inviting to me, like its a nice place to visit. You could almost use it in a very cozy and warm context in an alternate universe.

"All the sea men gathered at the cunt around dawn and sang songs of liberation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunt

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 12:04 PM
-->

haha "Audience participation" I once made a short film just like that. It was a contest, and we wanted to make something about crime or whatever, but the stupid school authorities banned cursing, portraying of sexuality, and drug / alcohol use or general "lawlessness" that was against "school values"... We argued lots with them (specially considering we were the ones that had come up with the idea of a short-films contest), and were so outraged by the censorship that we decided to do our original idea but censor everything with bleeps and black bars to the point of absurdity, so context and meaning was lost.

It was a great idea with a horrible execution... Our main scriptwriter-director guy had told us he'd get the script ready, that he had been working on it for weeks, and finally decided to chicken out of the contest at the last minute without giving us any script at all. I had to come up with one out of thin air and film it in 2 days with improv "actors" and locations (*friend's phone rings* "hey, wanna be in a film? Ok I'll pick you up at 4. Oh and can we use your living room?") , and edit it in a single day (which was horrible, considering all the audio editing!). It was finished just 1 hour before deadline :p. Needless to say, we didn't win, though our point came across rather strongly... you could sense it in the tense, awkward silence that followed.

What was even more outrageous, though, was that the guys who got 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places all had broken every single rule of the contest... and the judges said nothing! They had cursing, sexuality, drug abuse, kidnapping and rape and murder, lasted longer than 15 minutes, not an original story (in fact, the guys from first place adapted a short-story from Borges, precisely one that we had also wanted to do and had been told we couldn't!!!), and so on and so forth, etc... So I make a film that criticizes stupid totalitarian school policies and get a cold look, and they break all of those policies and get a prize?! Grrrr! :mad: I get angry just by thinking about it.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->

it all depends how you use the word, too. say "cunt" forcefully, or with adjectives like "you stupid cock sucking CUNT" and it doesn't sound as pleasant anymore.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
it all depends how you use the word, too. say "cunt" forcefully, or with adjectives like "you stupid cock sucking CUNT" and it doesn't sound as pleasant anymore.

Ah. I guess context is everything. I personally never use the word. I guess I am a bit of a traditionalist and just haven't manage to weave it into my flow of nasty speak.

EloquentBohemian

MysticDragon
Local time
-->
Would the title of this thread be as offensive to some if it was "Sacrosant Excreta"?

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
Recently i could nourish my curiosity with this discussion and rolemodels like Penn&Teller and George Carlin ;)
No, actually i was quite surprised. In Germany we sure do swear sometimes when being angry or similar things, but you see, it doesn't have its own right. I mean, i don't know anyone who swears just to swear. On the other hand, swearing isn't all that tabu here. The german equivalents of damn and shit (Verdammt, and Scheiße) are pretty much common language. Nobody has a problem with that (ok, sure, you wouldn't swear in a job interview or in front of policemen, right?). But in the normal day routine swearing just doesn't have that much importance.
So imagine my surprise upon realising how much of an issue it is in america. Ok, sure, some George Carlin wouldn't be very liked in german mainstream tv moderation and such. But he of course use it exactly to provoke, not because he just speaks that way normally (or?).
So for me it is part fun and part wonderment to watch for example Penn and Teller (which i did last night for five hours or so at youtube...) who, Penn that is, use 'curses' a lot.
On the other part i am a little bit confused. When i wish to swear in my normal life, i do it. No problem with that. But i think the frequency and intensity just doesn'T have to be as high as with above mentioned. I very well may swear little/when_needed and still be aindependent, critical thinking person. If swearing in this intensity is useful in provoking and stimulate thinking then fine. If it only serves to somehow let the swearer appear strong and 'masculine' or such then i call it silly.

But in the end, when i speak with a person who thinks he just has to swear constantly and can't bring out a normal sentence without some useless swearing i just ignore it or don't listen to him anymore. And if he really tries to piss me off afterwards (because i ignore him) i just ignore him more, that stupid idiot. No hardship in that.

Ogion

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Today 11:04 AM
-->
I was an exchange student in Denmark for half a year. The danes love american culture, and most of the kids in high school learn some english. I would walk down the school hallway and hear danish being interjected with "fuck!" "bitch!". It was pretty funny.

A friend of mine is living in Scotland to do her masters. She called someone a douchebag (not to his face) and her scottish friend was a bit shocked. Apparently douchebag & bullshit are really strong swearwords in scotland.

I'm a student, so I swear when I want to. Usually it has good context, sometimes I just say it when I'm surprised at something.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
swear words only have as much power as people allow them to have. when talking with co-workers or my friend, i barely notice when anyone swears and i certainly don't think twice about my own use of the words. but, if i were to call my own grandmother a fucking cunt (a very common phrase we use to describe each other amongst my co-workers), she would probably never speak to me again. i sparsly swear in front of my mother, so when i do, she knows it must be serious.

its the same with racial, homophobic or gender slurs. the only reason they still have power is because people believe they have power. if nobody cared when somebody said them, they would cease to mean anything.

Taylored

Local time
-->
swear words only have as much power as people allow them to have. when talking with co-workers or my friend, i barely notice when anyone swears and i certainly don't think twice about my own use of the words. but, if i were to call my own grandmother a fucking cunt (a very common phrase we use to describe each other amongst my co-workers), she would probably never speak to me again. i sparsly swear in front of my mother, so when i do, she knows it must be serious.

its the same with racial, homophobic or gender slurs. the only reason they still have power is because people believe they have power. if nobody cared when somebody said them, they would cease to mean anything.

Agreed.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I'm real damn bored at work and I like this fucking thread and wanted to remind everyone that this shit is here.

jesus fucking christ, why'd you bump this pile of horse shit?

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
fuck you you cock sucker! i'll say whatever the fuck i want on this shit kicker thread. and fuck the little sons of bitches, i'm a loud obnoxious american, god dammit!

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
fuck you you cock sucker! i'll say whatever the fuck i want on this shit kicker thread. and fuck the little sons of bitches, i'm a loud obnoxious american, god dammit!

Well now the work "fuck" has just lost all meaning to me. Thanks man. It used to be a real special word to me, til you fucked it all up. :(

:D

(maybe this should be moved to Siberia so we can have a cozy little profane corner)

Top Bottom