• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Hi

Thanatos146

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:37 PM
-->
I've been visiting this forum for some time now. Here, I've found solace from others who do not and/or refuse to see things from just one angle. A place that actually ponders the subtle but intricate aspects of life. This place of like-minded souls is refuge to my everquestioning mind. It'd be foolish not to participate.

Hi again, It's nice to meet ya'll. I'm an INTP or atleast I think I am. The closest and most comfortable match for me is INTP. This is my first time being in an actually forum and it's been a while since I've typed anything so please excuse my grammar and spelling. I hope to be a good addition to this forum.​

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Yesterday 11:37 PM
-->
Welcome :king-twitter:

Your first forum and you picked this one...:confused: That's like reading your first book and it's Far From the Madding Crowd....although we're a better choice ;)

For future reference, nothing ingratiates a person into the good graces of INTPs better than bringing presents upon arrival. We are entralled by trinkets.

Thanatos146

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I've acquire a taste for doing things in the most difficult of ways. Between the bruises and excitiment knowledge and humility is gained.

I knew I forgot something. . .:slashnew:

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:37 PM
-->

Thanatos146

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Just a bit of dabbling in Freudian psychology. My obligations for the past couple of years only allowed me as much. There isn't much depth to my knowledge so I wouldn't call myself one. Now that I have the chance to immerse myself in varies interests I will correct that. If interest counts then maybe.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
Here's an in-universe greeting to our forum. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but enjoy it nonetheless.

You find yourself standing in the atrium of a great castle. A mosaic of light streams through stained glass windows bearing the visages of such great men as Socrates, Plato, Godel, Picasso, and Nietszche and creates bright, dappled pools the dim vastness. Two white-bearded old men argue unintelligibly over what looks like calculus, but could very well be abstract modern art. A cloaked figure emerges from the shadows, bearing a leather satchel with your name.

"Hail, traveler, and welcome to our quiet halls. You'll find a room down five doors and on your left-- mind the cobblestone floors, it's easy to stub your toe. The nights are a bit cold, drafty, and damp, but there's plenty of hot, crispy, succulent roast boar and cold, sweet, clear mead to wash it down. And, if I may be so bold, I recommend that someone so, and pardon my unintentional pun, alienated head down to our ramshackle mental hospital, whose creaky, scream-filled halls can be entered herein: http://intpforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12. Our treatment may be a bit shabby, but we don't give up.

This place has a glorious history of titanic battles among the great knights of our order: Cognisant, Architect, Da Blob, and ProxyAmenRa, just to name a few. And in our finest hours, we've taken trophies: the heads of Norse Gods, the crimson blood of dreamers scorned, and the still-beating heart of a troll. Yet, if love a trade you seek, other manors may better able to help you.

INTP's often find love in the mysterious yet practical idealist: the INFJ. Flighty, yet warm, intelligent, yet intriguingly irrational, they steal our hearts and return them full of Aphrodite's dreamy drink. Their castle lies deep within the bowels of the earth, and we often exchange philosophical musings for hug potions-- if our trade caravans can survive the oft-itchy trigger fingers of their guards.

Not only do we interact with the dreamers, but with other rationals as well. The one-hundred story glass tower that you saw on the way in is a colony of ENTJ's; their very similar structure and yet different perspective on life have made trade and friendship with them both lucrative an interesting. Yet they are just as 'soulless' as we, and few have ever tried to mate with them-- a course I that highly recommend maintaining.

As a final detail, even we of the rational temperament can fall victim to our emotions. Try to remember that in your posts, as even a simple, "Alright, let's let this cool off for a few days" or "Oh, that must have hurt something awful; here's a dry shoulder, dude *hug* " can work wonders when another poster is angry or upset."

With a gentle nod and the wink of an eye, he hands you the satchel. Therein you find your room keys, cold, slippery slices of partridge carefully wrapped in parchment paper, a small, hearty loaf of bread, and a frosty glass bottle of water from the castle's spring.

"Just in case you decide to leave, let this be a gift from our order" interrupts the figure "Oh, and do dig deeper, you'll be pleasantly surprised."

Reaching further into the satchel's murky depths, you find a scroll on which is written in small, neat script, an oath:

The Thinker's Creed

In brightest day,
In darkest night
No falsehood shall escape my sight
Let those who worship Madness' might
Beware my power,
Pure logic's light!

The cloaked figure touches your shoulder and asks:

"Swear you this oath? For only through it shall you find Truth, be it in the Void or another code. In times of darkness, let it be your candle."

-Duxwing

ginoskein

Local time
-->
Here's an in-universe greeting to our forum. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but enjoy it nonetheless.

You find yourself standing in the atrium of a great castle. A mosaic of light streams through stained glass windows bearing the visages of such great men as Socrates, Plato, Godel, Picasso, and Nietszche and creates bright, dappled pools the dim vastness. Two white-bearded old men argue unintelligibly over what looks like calculus, but could very well be abstract modern art. A cloaked figure emerges from the shadows, bearing a leather satchel with your name.

"Hail, traveler, and welcome to our quiet halls. You'll find a room down five doors and on your left-- mind the cobblestone floors, it's easy to stub your toe. The nights are a bit cold, drafty, and damp, but there's plenty of hot, crispy, succulent roast boar and cold, sweet, clear mead to wash it down. And, if I may be so bold, I recommend that someone so, and pardon my unintentional pun, alienated head down to our ramshackle mental hospital, whose creaky, scream-filled halls can be entered herein: http://intpforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12. Our treatment may be a bit shabby, but we don't give up.

This place has a glorious history of titanic battles among the great knights of our order: Cognisant, Architect, Da Blob, and ProxyAmenRa, just to name a few. And in our finest hours, we've taken trophies: the heads of Norse Gods, the crimson blood of dreamers scorned, and the still-beating heart of a troll. Yet, if love a trade you seek, other manors may better able to help you.

INTP's often find love in the mysterious yet practical idealist: the INFJ. Flighty, yet warm, intelligent, yet intriguingly irrational, they steal our hearts and return them full of Aphrodite's dreamy drink. Their castle lies deep within the bowels of the earth, and we often exchange philosophical musings for hug potions-- if our trade caravans can survive the oft-itchy trigger fingers of their guards.

Not only do we interact with the dreamers, but with other rationals as well. The one-hundred story glass tower that you saw on the way in is a colony of ENTJ's; their very similar structure and yet different perspective on life have made trade and friendship with them both lucrative an interesting. Yet they are just as 'soulless' as we, and few have ever tried to mate with them-- a course I that highly recommend maintaining.

As a final detail, even we of the rational temperament can fall victim to our emotions. Try to remember that in your posts, as even a simple, "Alright, let's let this cool off for a few days" or "Oh, that must have hurt something awful; here's a dry shoulder, dude *hug* " can work wonders when another poster is angry or upset."

With a gentle nod and the wink of an eye, he hands you the satchel. Therein you find your room keys, cold, slippery slices of partridge carefully wrapped in parchment paper, a small, hearty loaf of bread, and a frosty glass bottle of water from the castle's spring.

"Just in case you decide to leave, let this be a gift from our order" interrupts the figure "Oh, and do dig deeper, you'll be pleasantly surprised."

Reaching further into the satchel's murky depths, you find a scroll on which is written in small, neat script, an oath:

The Thinker's Creed

In brightest day,
In darkest night
Beware my power,
Pure logic's light!

"Swear you this oath? For only through it shall you find Truth, be it in the Void or another code. In times of darkness, let it be your candle."

-Duxwing

:) Did you happen to write that old DOS-based text game, "Adventure"?

Hi Thanatos! I'm new here as well!

Duxwing

Local time
-->
:) Did you happen to write that old DOS-based text game, "Adventure"?

Hi Thanatos! I'm new here as well!

Awww, thanks! :) No, I didn't write "Adventure," though.

-Duxwing

Thanatos146

Redshirt
Local time
-->

The Thinker's Creed

In brightest day,
In darkest night
Beware my power,
Pure logic's light!

-Duxwing

Wow. What an amazing introduction. Thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Really helps capture the atmosphere of this forum and at the same time makes me excited. :D

Hi, nanook, ginoskein and. . . phobos?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 5:37 AM
-->
eros awareness accepts/embraces growth and change and it is phobic (phobos), when it fears and abandons it's own past. agape awareness accepts/embraces the being, the presence and it is thanatos (driving towards death), when it fears growth, change, future (it will decay, become demented, die). eros awareness becomes phobic, when agape awareness is dissociated (our roots (and therein our past) are always present and embraced by agape, so without looking at those or feeling them, we can only be fixated on the future, madly driven seekers, anxious to get away from the moment/presence). agape awareness becomes thanatos (depression like, self deprecating), when eros-awareness is suppressed, because it just can't perceive a future/feasible change. (credits for this synthesis of the terminology goes to ken wilber, i think. choice of words is mine)

so, i call myself phobos, because i'm sort of demented, i don't like to feel my past/roots and i'm fairly driven, always hoping for something more, something "higher", but fearing something "deeper".

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Hmmm, that does resound with what I remember from Wilber's "Up From Eden", but did he not have a name for the process, that suggested that ontology mirrored phylogeny?

The Atman Project?

Well there is this at least

Are the mystics and sages insane?
Because they all tell variations on the same story, don't they?
The story of awakening one morning
and discovering you are one with the All,
in a timeless and eternal and infinite fashion.

Yes, maybe they are crazy, these divine fools.
Maybe they are mumbling idiots in the face of the Abyss.
Maybe they need a nice, understanding therapist.
Yes, I'm sure that would help. But then, I wonder.

Maybe the evolutionary sequence really is from
matter to body to mind to soul to spirit,
each transcending and including,
each with a greater depth and greater consciousness and wider embrace.

And in the highest reaches of evolution,
maybe, just maybe, an individual's consciousness
does indeed touch infinity—a total embrace of the entire Kosmos—
a Kosmic consciousness that is Spirit awakened to its own true nature.

It's at least plausible.
And tell me: is that story,
sung by mystics and sages the world over,
any crazier than the scientific materialism story,

which is that the entire sequence is a tale told by an idiot,
full of sound and fury, signifying absolutely nothing?
Listen very carefully:
just which of those two stories actually sounds totally insane?

— Ken Wilber, A Brief History of Everything, 42–3

Duxwing

Local time
-->
Hmmm, that does resound with what I remember from Wilber's "Up From Eden", but did he not have a name for the process, that suggested that ontology mirrored phylogeny?

The Atman Project?

Well there is this at least

If an external reality exists, and we can know about it, and we can transmit that knowledge to others, then science is, beyond an doubt, the best way to learn about the world around us. It uses nothing but logic and evidence to make measurable, repeatable conclusions about reality; indeed, the very fact that you and I can communicate over a worldwide network of computers is a testament to physics and chemistry. Though science rests upon a few fundamental assumptions- reality, knowledge, and communication-- no other method to prove statements about what is real and how it works exists. Why accept subjectively held intuition over publicly verifiable evidence?

Though some scientists can lie, cheat, and steal, the progress that we witness in our world proves that very, very many of them are honest: otherwise, our machines wouldn't work because the fundamental concepts of their design would be wrong. If we are to glean knowledge of this universe, we must accept both the good and the bad involved in doing so. That means having some faith in honesty, reality, knowledge, and communication. Otherwise, declare yourself a nihilist and hold to that system.

-Duxwing

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
The rationale is simply this, reality is larger than what can be measured by the standardized scales necessary for science.

And perhaps, more sad, is the fact of us each has a perspective of that reality that really can't be shared via words or this wonderful internet.

To artificially limit reality to the world around humans, without including the human experience as a foundational system, is like trying to put together a puzzle without all of the pieces or solving an equation without all of the factors or conducting an experiment without defining all of the variables...

BTW - I am a Christian, not a nihilist. I know from my unsharable human experience that there is a spiritual dimension to this universe, but then that is just another variable in the realms beyond words or standardized measurements.

Thanatos146

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The animal that is science, philosophy, logic, human thought, emotion. . .I delight in studying it's habits and patterns till either I can't learn anymore or my hunger is too much. Tearing into it's flesh, feasting upon it's meat, drinking the fluids and suckling the freshly exposed marrow from the bone is what I enjoy most. Even if the metaphysical animal is my own. That moment when beliefs, ideas, and concepts die is pure bliss.

I find too much growth gets in way. Without focus nothing is gained. Destruction is necessary to find what really matters and nuture growth accordingly.

I seek destruction, death, and change thus I take the name Thanatos.

My dabbling of psychology and philosophy has only given me a little of the language so forgive my improper use of it. Here, I hope to expand my knowledge of it. I'm already getting alot of information to explore and ponder. :)

Top Bottom