• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Help me decide on work to supplement my main job. Time is running out!

Cubozoan

Redshirt
Local time
Today 11:04 PM
-->
I'm a 40 year old INTP, which field would be easiest and quickest to get stuck into: app. development, software quality controller or publishing editor? I have no background or experience in either of the above.

I'm totally bored of my full time job. Nothing new to learn. Managing others is not really my thing. Looking to go part time and explore other avenues.

Have enjoyed some simple programming exercises but don't think I will enjoy just writing code, hence app developer with my desire to design more than build. Sounds creative and uses logic so should be good fit. I'm neither a purely logic nor creative person, a balance of both is preferred.

Software quality controller sounds another good fit since I love breaking apart things and finding ways to improve systems.

Love reading but mostly enjoy thinking about how stories and characters could be better developed or how a paragraph could be constructed better. Please don't point out my own badly-worded blobs of text! Thinking about it I enjoyed editing my university thesis more than actually writing it.

I would love to explore all these fields but time is running out. I always over think my choices and once decided I then talk myself out of it. Which of the above ideas will be easiest to pursue? I'm looking to go freelance / work from home. Maybe do a bit of all of them or maybe you have better ideas. I'm not looking to make a fortune, just enough to supplement my other job.

Thank you for reading.

Andy.

baccheion

Local time
Today 6:04 PM
-->
I'm a 40 year old INTP, which field would be easiest and quickest to get stuck into: app. development, software quality controller or publishing editor? I have no background or experience in either of the above.

I'm totally bored of my full time job. Nothing new to learn. Managing others is not really my thing. Looking to go part time and explore other avenues.

Have enjoyed some simple programming exercises but don't think I will enjoy just writing code, hence app developer with my desire to design more than build. Sounds creative and uses logic so should be good fit. I'm neither a purely logic nor creative person, a balance of both is preferred.

Software quality controller sounds another good fit since I love breaking apart things and finding ways to improve systems.

Love reading but mostly enjoy thinking about how stories and characters could be better developed or how a paragraph could be constructed better. Please don't point out my own badly-worded blobs of text! Thinking about it I enjoyed editing my university thesis more than actually writing it.

I would love to explore all these fields but time is running out. I always over think my choices and once decided I then talk myself out of it. Which of the above ideas will be easiest to pursue? I'm looking to go freelance / work from home. Maybe do a bit of all of them or maybe you have better ideas. I'm not looking to make a fortune, just enough to supplement my other job.

Thank you for reading.

Andy.
If the job isn't miserable (aside from being unfulfilling) and doesn't require long hours, then hold on to it. Once not in management, it gets harder to find a job as you get older (age discrimination). Find something you're interested in, then start a business on the side. For example, create apps rather than getting a job as a software developer.

While I enjoy programming, working as a software engineer wasn't satisfying. I didn't work on much, didn't have any freedom, was surrounded by stupidity and envy, everything was pointless, and they squashed whatever I tried to do. It was the same even at Google (7+ years ago).

TAC

Inspectorist
Local time
Today 11:04 PM
-->
If you are in a city that has Uber, try driving for them part time. It may seem like a conflict of interest for INTP's being exposed to stranger's all day. But you could meet some interesting people working in fields that interest you along the way and have an in. Or you could just tune out everything and use it as an opportunity to decompress while you drive around collecting money all the while.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
Today 6:04 PM
-->
which field would be easiest and quickest to get stuck into: app. development, software quality controller or publishing editor?

Would an aptitude test help you make a finer distinction?
There might be a fine distinction between personality traits, strengths and weaknesses which would find you more-capable and happier in one of these than another.
And an apptitude test might reveal that you have a higher aptitude for an occupation which hasn't crossed your mind yet.

Just an idea; I don't know if it's actionable for your or not.

Top Bottom