• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Handouts for RB's VTRPG

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:19 PM
-->
For the sake of simplicity I'm going to try to provide information regarding merchant items that the party can choose from at a given location. Assuming the party survives long enough, the first merchants available to them will be as follows.

Weaponsmith: Stocks all standard simple and Martial weapons. Can make any Exotic weapon if provided with a sample weapon to base the designs upon.

Has in his employ a talented Smithy. He is capable of creating Masterwork weapons.

Stocks all standard munitions. Can masterwork.

Has the following magical weapons (which you can't afford yet) for sale.

Falchion (+4 weapon) (sheds light) (32375 gp)
Once belonged to the illustrious hero Phelia, who slew the Beast of the Whispering Woods.

Greataxe (+2 weapon, Vicious) (sheds light) (18320 gp)
This masterwork weapon once belonged to the human ranger Tholip, who perished in the Ghabai Waste.

Light Flail (+1 weapon, Ghost Touch, Grayflame) (sheds light) (18308 gp)
This battered weapon is said to compel its bearer to defeat the Wraith of the Ghabar Desert.

Longspear (+2 weapon) (8305 gp)
A masterwork weapon, engraved with the holy symbol of a god of knowledge.

Warhammer (+1 weapon, Guardian) (4250gp)
This finely crafted weapon once belonged to the elf hero Arienwel, who fell in the War of Daramma the Mad.

Shortspear (+1 weapon, Called) (4605 gp)
Finely crafted spear enchanted by Clerics of Trudd. Loyal to its wielder.

Armorsmith: Stocks at least one quantity of all standard armors and shields with no bonus. Can masterwork any standard armor or shield. With the aid of Mr. Wizard he can also give any armor or shield an enchancement bonus of +1.

Has the following magic items available:
Breastplate (+1 armor) (1350 gp)
This battered armor is said to be imbued with the spirit of the dwarf hero Byrghi Thorgeson, who perished in the Haunted Mountains.

Chain Shirt (+1 armor) (1250 gp)
This distinctive armor is said to have been blessed by the Goddess of Luck herself.

Fire-forged Steel Half-plate (3600 gp)
This distinctive armor is said to compel its wearer to slay the Serpent of Frictota.

Half-plate (+1 armor) (1750 gp)
An ornate armor, engraved with runes of strength.

Half-plate (+3 armor) (9750 gp)
This finely crafted armor once belonged to the half-elf cavalier Bely, who slew the Wyrm of the Magne Steppe.

Light Steel Shield (+4 shield, Grinding) (25159 gp)
This masterwork shield was taken from the Secret Catacombs of Evil.

Light Wooden Shield (+1 shield) (1153 gp)
This finely crafted shield was taken from the hoard of the dragon Gamaba.

Spined Shield (5580 gp)
A masterwork shield, engraved with runes of strength.

Tower Shield (+1 shield) (1180 gp)
An ornate shield, painted with an unknown coat of arms.

Alchemist: stocks a large quantity of:
- Potions of Cure Light Wounds for 50gp.
- Potion of Purify Food and Drink for 25gp.

Can create Level 1 and 2 Potions.

The following special potions are available.

Abjurant Salt (600 gp)
This translucent oil causes shadows to appear darker when used.

Oil of Bless Weapon (cr, 50 gp)
This luminous ichor smells fiery.

Oil of Magic Stone (cr, 50 gp)
This variegated potion smells acidic.

Oil of Obscure Object (cr, 300 gp)
This bubbling liquid causes flames to turn green when used.

Potion of Bull's Strength (cr, 300 gp)
A green ichor, contained in a battered phial.

Potion of Darkvision (cr, 300 gp)
This cloudy potion causes a floating sensation when used.

Potion of Goodberry (cr, 50 gp)
A luminous admixture, contained in a thick jar sealed with wax.

Potion of Protection from Electricity (5th) (cr, 750 gp)
This thin potion smells bitter.

Potion of Resist Electricity (3rd) (cr, 300 gp)

Wandwright: Can create Arcane and Divine wands for spells of Level 1.

Has the following special wands available.

Wand of Cure Light Wounds (cr, 750gp)

Wand of Acid Splash (cr, 375 gp)
A hawthorn wand, wrapped in fine steel wire.

Wand of Alarm (cr, 750 gp)
This birch wand also grants the magical ability to see in darkness for one hour per day.

Wand of Create Food and Water (cr, 11250 gp) (inscription provides clue to function)
This yew wand was created by a god of magic for his most loyal champion.

Wand of Daze (cr, 375 gp)
An oak wand, wrapped in silver wire.

Wand of Explosive Runes (cr, 11250 gp) (design provides clue to function)
This distinctive hazel wand once belonged to the half-elf wizard Ithindod, who fell in the Sublime War.

Wand of Flare (cr, 375 gp) (design provides clue to function)
This thin wand also shines like a candle upon command.

Wand of Hold Person (cr, 4500 gp)
This birch wand also grants the magical ability to locate taverns.

This oak wand once belonged to the great archmage Geleue, leader of the White Lions.

Wand of Ill Omen (apg, 750 gp) (inscription provides clue to function)
A heavy wand, set with pearl.

Wand of Shield (cr, 750 gp)
A heavy yew wand, set with garnet.

Wand of Shield Other (cr, 4500 gp)
This thin ash wand once belonged to the half-elf wizard Tholan Garray, who slew the Beast of the Jungle of Fangs.

Wand of Wall of Fire (cr, 21000 gp)
A distinctive wand, wrapped in fine steel wire.

So far the party has earned 1,590gold from treasure and another 72 from enemies. 1,662 / 6 = 277 each (assuming you're sharing).

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:19 AM
-->
Yay! Magic armor and weapons I can't use! (Not that I can afford them.)

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:19 PM
-->
*gives Cacia 150gp*

Get a potion of Bull's Strength and keep it for an emergency.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
*gives Cacia 150gp*

Get a potion of Bull's Strength and keep it for an emergency.

Oh, now you're just trying to suck up to Cacia. :)
(You can continue!)

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:19 PM
-->
Dom has no use for gold or possessions so cut his share out.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
You all have 326gp in that case. Except Dom who has none.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Next session will be 10pm AEST Saturday 20th.

Just a quick reminder, the shops present in the town have all simple and martial weapons as are listed here.

Level 1 potions are available as well.

Also just a reminder, since you're taking a day to rest you'll be able to source anything from the city (wares in first post of this thread). For a 10gp fee it can be sent urgently and arrive same day. Otherwise you'll have to wait around another day for it to arrive.

I don't have it handy right now so I forget exactly how much gold you all have.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Let me check my notes:
19,276 gold apiece

Yes, that sounds right.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
You all have 2140 gold.

Also I'd like some input from the players on experience rewards. Would you like to track it yourselves, where I tell you how much experience you gain from each enemy/encounter/quest and you add the totals yourselves - or do you prefer the system as is, where I tell you when you've leveled up?

With me doing it the way I am now, you all progress at exactly the same rate. I'm not bothering to hand out individual XP awards for certain things because it's not being tracked. If you'd prefer to do it on a more individual basis where people get more XP rewards or one-time bonuses I can do that.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:49 PM
-->
I prefer you to do it. It takes less time. <3

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yeah you do it. :)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Yeah, I don't want to keep track.

if you want to reward me personally, just keep sticking fighter-only goodies into the party stash. :D "Oh, look -- 23sp, a gem worth 13gp, a wand of magic missile with five charges, a potion of spider climb, and a +4 Holy Wakizashi with intelligence and special powers."

(It's not like it doesn't happen; Gollum was just a lowly 3rd level hobbit thief/thug, and he happened to be holding onto the One Ring. haha)

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
It's a fancy looking dagger that fives INT? Sounds like a wizard item ^-^

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
We can race for it -- like, maybe a 7-mile? :D

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
So upon returning to the city, the party was rewarded for their efforts in clearing out the Magus' tower. You have a dozen guards loyal to you and for showing mercy and letting her apprentice live, you managed to earn a, "favour" from the powerful Magus Nesselde.

You have 11,470 gold each. All of the magical items that were available in the first post of this thread are still available in the stores.

I'll update this thread a bit later with some more information. If you could be prepared and tell me what you'll be buying prior to this Saturday's session that would be great. I've been a bit lax in updating this thread so I've totally lost track of everyone's individual gold - but I'd like to do that from now on, since the party is earning gold at a faster rate now and each player is going to itemize completely different to one another.

If there's anything you want to buy without others knowing, send it in a PM. Preferably don't give me long explanations (there's five of you). Just dot point the item and the price. I'll double-check and let you know what from the list is or isn't available. Also feedback on the last session is appreciated.

(:

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
You went up the tower, killed some demons. Found a Magus and knocked her out. She was saved by the elven barkeep before Cacia dealt the death-blow. The barkeep turned out to be her master, who offered you a favour in return for showing mercy on her apprentice. Like max she'd been concerned about the shady rise to power of the new city lord (who she disapproves of). So you saved Felix in the end and you received a reward and now are in the tower. I'm assuming you're going back to the city to see the odd turn of events unfold.

You're level 4 now as well.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The barkeep Takashi tried to hit on? Awkward.

So Felix was the Magus?
So Max was employed by the barkeep to recruit us to help them subdue Felix?

Sounds fishy to me, I can understand the barkeep not wanting to be openly associated with a criminal but not privately specifying that she only wanted Felix subdued and indeed hiding her identity from us altogether seems a bit suspicious. This may be something more sinister than a misbehaving apprentice, perhaps this was a bungled trap (if the barkeep had arrived earlier Max could have turned on us and the three of them could have murdered/looted us) and/or perhaps this was a staged live fire training exercise for Felix but the barkeep underestimated our abilities.

Why is a reasonably powerful magus serving drinks in a bar?
How did she get the money to hire us and Max? Not by running a bar that's for damn sure.
If she can and did leave the bar and has Max to assist her why didn't she subdue Felix herself?
Why give gold to a bunch of random adventurers to buy equipment? Perhaps this magus has some kind of arms trade arrangement going on with the orcs and was using us as a way to indirectly move goods out of town...

I think we should have murder/looted them when we had the chance.
Or at least y'know looked for incriminating evidence or something, bloody lawful people.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
So upon returning to the city, the party was rewarded for their efforts in clearing out the Magus' tower. You have a dozen guards loyal to you and for showing mercy and letting her apprentice live, you managed to earn a, "favour" from the powerful Magus Nesselde.

You have 11,470 gold each. All of the magical items that were available in the first post of this thread are still available in the stores.

So wait.. we HAVE that much gold each altogether, or we GOT that much gold each during this bit + whatever we had before? I'm getting confused.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
11,470 gold each
Taht a lotta monies :ahh:

This birch wand also grants the magical ability to locate taverns.
Exploitable and useful, nice.

Potion of Protection from Electricity (5th) (cr, 750 gp)
This thin potion smells bitter.
*considers* Well magical lightning already ignores the path of least resistance law of electromagnetism so I figure rather than making the drinker a better insulator it (which would just increase resistance thus heat and damage caused) it makes them a better conductor...

*drinks potion and grapple's an enemy*
SMITE ME YE IMPOTENT GOD OF THUNDER LEAST MY MOCKERY RING TRUE!
Or something to that effect.

Alternatively I could piss on a lightning elemental thus absorbing it, then put on some thick rubber boots and go looking for someone to shake hands with.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Alternatively I could piss on a lightning elemental thus absorbing it, then put on some thick rubber boots and go looking for someone to shake hands with.

I'll pay you 25gp to try that.

EDIT: Okay, 35gp to sweeten the deal.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Felix was captured by the Magus and kept behind a false wall panel. The Magus who captured him happened to be the barkeep's apprentice gone rogue. She (the barkeep) tracked your party on her own, suspicious as to who would have the skills to capture a powerful political figure like Felix. Also curious as to what unknown reason had brought 6 well armed and armoured adventurers to her tavern and proceed to start a betting ring on local tavern brawls.

The party had managed to subdue the Magus when the barkeep revealed that she was her teacher and in deference to the offering of a favour from an obviously powerful Magus, the party spared her life. She broke down a wall behind which Felix was held captive. Felix was mildly amused that he had been deemed incapable of freeing himself, but was grateful nonetheless and rewarded the party.

At the end of the session the party was still in the tower, but having rescued Felix there's nothing else to do, so for the sake of simplicity I'm just saying you decided to travel back to the city with them and leave it there.

Speaking of rewards. Yes, you all have exactly 11,470 gold each. As noted I lost track of personal gold for each party member but didn't really bother since no one had more than about 400 gold anyway. So I'm just going to put you all at the same point in terms of wealth now, and will track it now that it's somewhat more important.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I suspect the barkeep is simply in retirement.

When Lucifer quit being Lord of Hell in "Sandman," he tried a number of odd jobs, like playing piano at an LA dinner bar. Sometimes you just need to get away and take refuge in positions of less responsibility.

Felix was captured by the Magus and kept behind a false wall panel. The Magus who captured him happened to be the barkeep's apprentice gone rogue. She(the barkeep)tracked your party on her own, suspicious as to who would have the skills to capture a powerful political figure like Felix. Also curious as to what unknown reason had brought 6 well armed and armoured adventurers to her tavern and proceed to start a betting ring on local tavern brawls.

dammit, Takashi!!! :D

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:19 PM
-->
You're level 4 now as well.

I know I never show up but I want to multiclass druid at level 5 so that way when I'm level 8 (4 monk/4 druid) I can turn into a giant ape and throw a ki-imbued flurry of dinner tables and then have my pet ape finish off the rest.

Just a thought.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'll pay you 25gp to try that.
Deal!
Ha joke's on you I would have done it anyway.

Also curious as to what unknown reason had brought 6 well armed and armoured adventurers to her tavern and proceed to start a betting ring on local tavern brawls.
Mmm good times, doing my part for free cultural exchange.

So who is this Felix person then?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Deal!
Ha joke's on you I would have done it anyway.

Yeah, but this way I own the video footage since I was the sponsor.

Beside, video or it didn't happen.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
To my erstwhile teammates:

Cacia's been wearing a magic lamillar suit she got during one of our adventures, since no one else can effectively use it (or has something else better). I would like to simply cash/swap it in for another suit with better bonuses that will be of more use to the party (basically by adding to my AC and increasing the distance I can move per round). Is that okay?

We also have two items that might or might not be useful:

- Frost longsword (probably worth 8000+ gp, since it's essentially a +2 item)
- Sword of the Planes (22,100gp or something)

If we want, we could sell these and split the cash among the members to be used for personal gear upgrades. That would come out to 15000gp split by 4-5 (I don't think the monk takes money), which would be another few thousand gold per person.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
*looks up details on Sword of the Planes*
Should probably hold onto that, if we come across something really nasty it's going to be one of three things, an undead, a construct or extraplanar, then again I won't be the one using it and I don't know who will so of course if nobody can use it we may as well cash it in for something we can use.

you managed to earn a, "favour" from the powerful Magus Nesselde.
I would ask for a token of trust, it could be a secret, a minor heirloom, a mark (arcane or tattoo) or just a written letter though that would be less than ideal, basically it's something that identifies us as friends of hers, to friends of hers, I figure a powerful (ex-adventurer?) magus will be well known in certain circles.

Can I order in pages of spell knowledge or a ring of spell knowledge?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
*looks up details on Sword of the Planes*
Should probably hold onto that, if we come across something really nasty it's going to be one of three things, an undead, a construct or extraplanar, then again I won't be the one using it and I don't know who will so of course if nobody can use it we may as well cash it in for something we can use.

It seems kind of useless right now except in terms of what kind of gold it can give people to work with that would enable everyone to buy more specifically useful gear. I mean, how often are we going to be on another plane of existence, unless the GM warns us we might go there? We're not close to a level to handle that.

And I'm a specialized fighter, so I need to focus on my specialized weapon to function within my build.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I did kind of add to it the ability to morph to a weapon of the wielder's choosing since the two frontliners in the party are an improvised weapon specialist and a specialized fighter, so you can use it as a Wakizashi if needed.

Yes for ring of spell knowledge.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Can I buy two "Ring of Spell Knowledge II" and try sweet-talking Nesselde into teaching me two 2nd level spells she knows, and/or I could try the same thing with the magic shop guy, heck I'm happy to pay 500g to anyone for the service, or I could just learn them from the scrolls/potions/wands in the shopkeeper's inventory as I browse.

I'll have the money after we've sold the afore mentioned swords.

The spells I'm particularly after are Spontaneous Immolation and Seducer’s Eyes.
I'll take Eagle's Splendor as my first 2nd level spell.

Also while in town I'd like to have a loose-fitting robe made and I think I still have the kabuki mask in my inventory, the idea being that I can assume whichever gender I need to with the disguise potion so I can make Seducer's Eyes work.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I did kind of add to it the ability to morph to a weapon of the wielder's choosing since the two frontliners in the party are an improvised weapon specialist and a specialized fighter, so you can use it as a Wakizashi if needed.

Well, the problem is that cost-wise it's somewhere between a +3 and +4 item that for the majority of 4th level adventures will only be worth a +1/+2 at best and you can't even add powers to it because it would be too expensive.

I guess if you plan to run a lot of demon/devil scenarios later on (which would trigger the +4 bonus), it would be useful to hang onto, but at the moment it seems worth more as gold than actual use. Or if the monk wants to specialize in various special attacks (trip, disarm, reach, brace, etc.), the morph ability would be highly useful for him -- he could use the same weapon to make various special attacks.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Nesselde won't be providing any favours to individuals for the purposes of buying items or whatever. That said you can load the rings with spells yourself as noted here:

encounter a written, active, or cast version of the spell and succeed at a DC 20 Spellcraft check to teach the spell to the ring. Thereafter, the arcane spellcaster may cast the spell as though she knew the spell and it appeared on her class’ spell list.

I'll allow you to Take 20 since realistically you'd just keep trying until you succeed. So just pick the spell you want.

Party will have to decide whether or not to sell the items. It's entirely up to you guys.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
I'm happy to sell the sword if you need the money, but I don't *need* the money yet. Essentially I'll bow to the majority.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'll allow you to Take 20 since realistically you'd just keep trying until you succeed. So just pick the spell you want.
Is this a one time thing or can I swap spells whenever we've got access to a magic shop?

And a random thought, when inscribing magical tattoos where does the gold go?
Is the good transmutated into magical ink or does it just evaporate? Furthermore why would anyone take that feat if they can pay a merchant for the same thing at the same price? Indeed if the gold evaporates or whatever what does the merchant get out of it? I understand there has to be some sort of cost involved otherwise someone could cover their entire party with Vanish and True Strike spell tattoos and replenish them between every encounter but the whole lore side of things dosen't make sense to me.

Another random thought, is it possible to activate a spell tattoo on another person's body if it's the sort that needs to be touched and the person in question is willing?
Just curious.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
And a random thought, when inscribing magical tattoos where does the gold go?
Is the good transmutated into magical ink or does it just evaporate? Furthermore why would anyone take that feat if they can pay a merchant for the same thing at the same price? Indeed if the gold evaporates or whatever what does the merchant get out of it? I understand there has to be some sort of cost involved otherwise someone could cover their entire party with Vanish and True Strike spell tattoos and replenish them between every encounter but the whole lore side of things dosen't make sense to me.

Are we using psionics in this campaign?

The cost is the cost for materials (half the cost) and payment for services rendered (to the tattooer). If you are able to create your own tattoos, you pay for materials (half cost) + whatever you want to charge the recipient. This methodology applies to all sorts of created items; if you have the right feats/skillset, you can get the appropriate items for half cost because you are just paying for materials and don't charge yourself any fee for doing the work.

For tattoos, materials are the ink, maybe the brushes (if they are worn out by the magic), etc.

Another random thought, is it possible to activate a spell tattoo on another person's body if it's the sort that needs to be touched and the person in question is willing?
Just curious.

From th eonline rules:

Scribing and transferring Tattoos
The manifester level of a psionic tattoo is the minimum level required to manifest the scribed power. A psionic tattoo can contain only powers of 3rd level or lower.

A psionic tattoo inscribed on a wearer is potentially more mobile than a mundane tattoo. As a standard action, the wearer can will the tattoo to move to a different part of his body or onto the skin of any willing (or unconscious) living creature he touches. If the wearer of a psionic tattoo is rendered unconscious or is slain, another sentient creature can touch the tattoo while willing it to leave the previous wearer and apply itself to the new creature as a standard action. Psionic tattoos cannot overlay one another.

....The following rules govern the use of psionic tattoos.
  • A creature must have an appropriate physical surface on which to scribe the pattern (thus, incorporeal creatures or creatures with impermanent flesh, such as fire elementals, cannot use psionic tattoos).
  • Tapping a psionic tattoo provokes attacks of opportunity. A successful attack (including grappling attacks) against the wearer forces a Concentration check. A wearer who fails this check cannot concentrate effectively on the tattoo to use it. The tattoo remains untapped, and the wearer can make another attempt.
  • A character can trigger the effects of another’s psionic tattoo if the other wearer is unconscious. It is a full-round action to find, touch, and concentrate on an unconscious creature’s tattoo in order to tap it.

It might be a house rule to include a "willing wearer," it sounds to me like it would be included based on the rules above for moving tattoos around with willing/unconscious wearers. It definitely works on an unconscious wearer.

Also:
Psionic tattoos can vary in size, but a creature can wear only a total of twenty tattoos at one time—attempting to add one more than this maximum causes all previously scribed tattoos to simultaneously activate. A psionic tattoo fades away after use.

I've always wanted to stick another tattoo on an unconscious baddie with twenty, just to see everything go off.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
The Frost longsword counts as a +2 item (it has to be at least +1 to be enchanted as a Frost weapon, so that's +2 altogether, and it has to be a masterwork longsword) = 8315gp x 50% (sale price) = 4158gp, split how many ways? (4?) So there's that.

I guess I'm waiting to hear from Absurdity about the Sword of the Planes and whether he wants to use it as part of his "adapatable" style.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If I multiclass I can take an archetype variant of that class right?
What if I multiclass as a sorcerer archetype?

When I first thought of this I figured it couldn't be allowed because you could take a different archetype every level to accumulate powers but it dosen't work that way because archetypes work on substitution so insofar as the archetypes are balanced I lose as much as I gain. In other words I can multiclass into both an archetype that affects bloodline powers and another that affects the bloodline arcana but both archetypes can't affect both powers and arcana at the same time, the latest archetype overwrites the last one.

This could almost be used to change bloodline by using the Mongrel Mage archetype since it changes the bloodline altogether but the Mongrel Mage archetype itself makes this a moot issue, incidentally Redbaron is there any problem with me multiclassing into this archetype? Obviously if I selected a bloodline other than arcane my familiar would disappear (wander off?) and I could change familiars and bonded items by the day, but I'd only have them for the duration of my mongrel points, ditto for any defensive bonuses my bloodline gives me.

Bloodline Spells

At 7th level, each day when she selects her bloodline, a mongrel mage adds the 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-level spells from her selected bloodline to her current list of spells known.

At 13th level, each day when she selects her bloodline, a mongrel mage adds the 4th-, 5th-, and 6th-level spells from her selected bloodline to her current list of spells known.

At 19th level, each day when she selects her bloodline, a mongrel mage adds the 7th-, 8th-, and 9th-level spells from her selected bloodline to her current list of spells known.

This ability replaces the bloodline feats gained at 7th, 13th, and 19th level.
That sucks, although with two rings of spell knowledge having access to a wide range of lower level spells will probably work best for me, and I get to try everything! :D

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
If I multiclass I can take an archetype variant of that class right? What if I multiclass as a sorcerer archetype?

If I understand your question correctly:
- You can multiclass and also use archetypes within your 2+ classes.
- However, you cannot be a sorcercer and a sorcerer archetype as your "two classes." You can be a straight sorcerer OR a sorcerer archetype + some other class / class archetype.
- You can also have multiple archetypes within one particular class, as long as the substitutions do not overlap. (For example, if both archetypes replace your Racial Trait slot, you can't do it. The archetypes can't overlap.)

The Advanced Class Guide that just came out is interesting because it created 10-12 new classes that basically merge two existing classes (like the Skald being a merging of Barbarian + Bard, I think). The only rule with those is that you can't multiclass to a class included as part of your merge class. So you can multiclass as a Skald / [NOT Barb or Bard].

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
So basically if I take the Mongrel Mage archetype it overwrites my class completely, Takashi goes from being a 3rd level Sorcerer to a 4th level Mongrel Mage.

If for the next level I decided to go Cross-Blooded since Takashi can't be a Cross-Blooded / Mongrel Mage hybrid (for so very many reasons) would Takashi again have his class overwritten completely, becoming a 5th level Cross-Blooded and of course no longer a Mongrel Mage, or once having become a Mongrel Mage at level 4 would he be locked into that for good?

I'm having some second thoughts now that I see that I can't access anything more than 7th level bloodline powers until level 20, that really sucks.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
So basically if I take the Mongrel Mage archetype it overwrites my class completely, Takashi goes from being a 3rd level Sorcerer to a 4th level Mongrel Mage.

Technically, you are supposed to pick an archetype when you create your character. Some GMs are nice and let you do it later. This is because some of the class traits are "inherent" and it wouldn't make sense for you to have some particular skill and suddenly not have it anymore because you sacrificed it to take on a particular archetype, although I guess in some circumstances a case could be made.

I don't know the sorc archetypes that well, so I don't know what cross-blooded is exactly, but you don't swap out archetypes. You go from a normal sorc to a particular archetype / collection of compatible archetypes. You don't change your archetype at all when you level. Like I said, it's something that usually occurs during character creation.

I'm having some second thoughts now that I see that I can't access anything more than 7th level bloodline powers until level 20, that really sucks.

Yeah, RB has been giving you some flex because you don't know the system yet and/or when we've made mistakes in character design, by letting us jigger things around. But it should be compared to a 'reality overwrite' rather than part of the game mechanics, where technically once you become an archetype, you can't back it out as part of normal progression.

Are we going to play these characters to level 20? Many campaigns don't even go that far -- I've never played past level 11 so far, in a campaign, ironically. The gameplay changes: Low levels can be painful, there's a sweet fun spot where everyone's kind of on the same level in the level 5-10 range, and things start getting a little crazy + the characters are able to "break the rules of reality." For example, once mages start teleporting, that changes gameplay quite a bit since parties can "skip over things" by 'porting. The GM has to stay on his toes to keep ahead of the party.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't know the sorc archetypes that well, so I don't know what cross-blooded is exactly
You get to choose two bloodlines and pick'n'choose where your powers and bonus spells come from at the price of a known spell for every spell level, but with pages/rings of spell knowledge and the expanded arcana feat you can get around that. So for example I could choose the Celestial and Nanite bloodlines, take Heavenly Fire as my 1st level power, Nanite Surge at 3rd, Wings of Heaven at 9th, Distributed Body at 15th and Ascension at 20th, at least those are the choices I would make for Takashi.

So you get all the good powers and none of the crap ones and you can do the same thing for bonus spells, furthermore if I wanted both Disguise Self and Bless (two 3rd level bonuses) I can sacrifice my 5th level bonus I can take the one I missed out on at 3rd.
Also you get the bloodline arcana from BOTH bloodlines, that's just insane.

Still I think I should just sit down, shut up and be happy with what I've got, going from the arcane bloodline to a Mongrel Mage makes some sense, sorcerers are inherently unstable and in young people (in the real world) certain genes can become dominant or recessive (many people having blond hair and blue eyes as an infant or toddler which later turn brown) so it's not inconceivable that a thin blooded Arcane could recess into a mongrel, it's even in the lore that Mongrels are looked down upon by other full blooded sorcerers.

But going from arcane to a cross-blooded Nanite/Celestial? In a Kitsune no less.
It's a fun concept mechanically and certianly a lot more interesting than the arcane bloodline in terms of generating a backstory but the character it inspires isn't the Takashi I know. The only distinguishing traits of androids is that they lack emotions and the Celestial side of things dosen't help explain his chaotic evil temperament either. Unless one were to argue the mixed blood makes Takashi take a perverse joy in doing harm to evil things, making him good aligned but still definitely evil, which is something an actual Celestial would have very mixed feelings about.

(Mmm I'll have to write this down somewhere)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Just to confirm sell prices for the items:

Frost Longsword: 2000gp - 400 each
Sword of the Planes: 11650gp - 2330 each
Slick Lamellar Armor (equipped on Cacia): 8100 - 1620 each

So if you could do a quick vote on selling yay or nay, I'll figure out how much gold everyone has exactly.

Is this a one time thing or can I swap spells whenever we've got access to a magic shop?
You can't swap around spells. You just put one spell on the ring. As far as I understand it you need to be wearing it, but it doesn't say that specifically in the entry. Not sure how I'll do it yet. Will decide when/if people start to buy lots of rings.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Just to confirm sell prices for the items:

Frost Longsword: 2000gp - 400 each
Sword of the Planes: 11650gp - 2330 each
Slick Lamellar Armor (equipped on Cacia): 8100 - 1620 each

So if you could do a quick vote on selling yay or nay, I'll figure out how much gold everyone has exactly.

Dude, the frost longsword is at least 8000gp.
All weapons with abilities have to be at least +1.
So the weapons counts as a +2 weapon (+1 plus the +1 for Frost), and then whatever the cost of a masterwork longsword is.
i.e., 50% of sale price is at least 4000gp.

I don't want the Sword of the Planes. If the monk wants it, he can have it. If the party wants to keep it around as a backup, that's fine; or if they want to sell it, that's fine.

I also don't WANT to sell the Slick Lamellar Armor if the party is forcing me to split up the money -- I just want to swap it for something more useful. If I can't swap it in for 50% of the price to get a replacement set of armor that is more useful, then I am keeping it. I won't have any armor if we sell it.... which, since I'm a front-line fighter, isn't a great idea.

Why are we finally addressing this two hours before game time? I brought all this up three days ago, and people by now probably have their stuff already calculated.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yay

11470+
400+
2330+
1620=15820
15820 - 2(6000) = 3820

If we don't want to sell the sword of the planes I can buy just one ring of spell knowledge II and save up for the other.

Ditto on the armour.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Dude, the frost longsword is at least 8000gp.
All weapons with abilities have to be at least +1.
So the weapons counts as a +2 weapon (+1 plus the +1 for Frost)
Ah okay. Wasn't aware that's how it worked.

It costs 2,000gp to add the +1 modifier. It's 2,000gp to add Frost. So I thought it was just 4,000gp for the +1 Longsword and the +1 enhancement combined. If the effects of special abilities plus base enhancements are cumulative in determining the price (+1 base with +1 enhancement makes it +2 weapon) then you can sell it for 8,000.

Don't know if it's right or wrong but not a big deal.

I also don't WANT to sell the Slick Lamellar Armor if the party is forcing me to split up the money -- I just want to swap it for something more useful.
I thought I did respond to that? Yes you can swap it over for an item of equal selling value.

Okay apparently I lost my message or something, my bad :phear:. I shouldn't reply to this stuff on phone internet I guess. I did think it was weird you never responded back, but I figured if you didn't care enough to respond you had something else in mind.

Why are we finally addressing this two hours before game time? I brought all this up three days ago, and people by now probably have their stuff already calculated.
Haven't used the forum for three days. I did plan to make sure it was all sorted beforehand, but realistically I have priorities other than sorting out gold calculations. Running/planning the sessions is a timesink in and of itself. Working out details even moreso. Ideally I'd love to have it all organized for everyone well in advance, but if I don't get around to it then so be it.

Cogznizantz said:
If we don't want to sell the sword of the planes I can buy just one ring of spell knowledge II and save up for the other.
No worries. I'll assume the frost Longsword is sold.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Cool

Btw if I used "Refine Improvised Weapon" on an improvised weapon does it still count as improvised?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I...don't know. I'll have to find out. Better yet, you find out and let me know what the rules say :p

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Sorry, this got to me at my "Bitchy Hour" (versus happy hour) -- 4-6pm is not a good time of day for me. The ideas are mine, the emotions are a little crankier than I had planned. Sorry.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
So what was the remainder of the gold left (items wise) from this past Saturday? I think we received a large chunk, but we had a few things yet that had to be hocked.

Top Bottom