• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Great INTP career thread...

Inquisitor

Local time
Today 2:56 AM
-->
Found this thread on another forum. It's basically 6 pages full of INTPs posting their various career/life stories. I found it to be useful and interesting.

These kinds of threads are usually just high school/college students, but this one has loads of older INTPs sharing their career uncertainties, past successes/failures. One thing's for sure: people with our type job hop a heck of a lot!

http://forums.mylifecoach.com/post/intps-what-do-you-do-134809?&trail=20

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
Yesterday 11:56 PM
-->
Yes careers/vocations have been a "problem" for me. I've tried a lot of random things - Web design, programming, blue collar/skilled work, marketing, retail, and recently writing. I think the later fits the best.

What's the chance many of these people are actually mistyped ENTPs? I might be one as well, and maybe this is due to Ne dominance? Maybe INTPs get more discouraged about this more than ENTPs, who are probably more at ease with the variety. But I see it being problem for any NP type.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 5:56 PM
-->
Just to clarify, are you sharing the link to discuss that discussion, or are you attempting to start a similar thread here?

I'm just a little confused is all. I'm interested either way.

Inquisitor

Local time
-->
Yes careers/vocations have been a "problem" for me. I've tried a lot of random things - Web design, programming, blue collar/skilled work, marketing, retail, and recently writing. I think the later fits the best.

What's the chance many of these people are actually mistyped ENTPs? I might be one as well, and maybe this is due to Ne dominance? Maybe INTPs get more discouraged about this more than ENTPs, who are probably more at ease with the variety. But I see it being problem for any NP type.

Yes possible some are ENTPs. And agree that INTPs may be focused on finding their "one thing" than ENTPs. For me, finding something that I can master and that involves endless variety is one of my greatest desires.

Just to clarify, are you sharing the link to discuss that discussion, or are you attempting to start a similar thread here?

I'm just a little confused is all. I'm interested either way.

Discussion or not. I just thought it was a great thread.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
Today 7:56 AM
-->
As soon as I got over my teenage-restlessness, finding my career has been the easiest shit ever. I think people don't realize there is a huge survivorship bias there when they make it look like INTPs struggle a lot with finding a career: people who are stuck in life are the most likely to stumble onto MBTI, and people like INTPs are probably amongst the most likely to continue fiddling around with MBTI. Hence you can gather a bunch of career-confused people who are typed as INTP very easily.

Inquisitor

Local time
-->
As soon as I got over my teenage-restlessness, finding my career has been the easiest shit ever. I think people don't realize there is a huge survivorship bias there when they make it look like INTPs struggle a lot with finding a career: people who are stuck in life are the most likely to stumble onto MBTI, and people like INTPs are probably amongst the most likely to continue fiddling around with MBTI. Hence you can gather a bunch of career-confused people who are typed as INTP very easily.

Lol. This coming from someone barely out of college who has only been in the work world for a few years. Good for you for finding something you like thus far but you haven't lived long enough to make such a claim. If you were in your 60s and had stayed in the same career your whole life, I would be extremely interested in knowing what you did. As it stands I find COMPSCI to be fulfilling thus far but I wouldn't dream of unequivocally stating that "I've found my career." That remains to be seen.

Rualani

You Silly Willy
Local time
Today 6:56 AM
-->

That's a very good point. I usually find that these conversations happen to people who find themselves knocked out of societies 'flow' so they must individuate to survive. I suspect that the way people got knocked out of the 'flow' alters their self-type, but that's neither here nor there. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom