• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Goku (Dragon Ball Z) - ENFJ

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:11 PM
-->
^

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
you suck at typing, Vegeta is more probable ENFP. The only thing that complicates this is Goku being a kid in Dragon Ball but he was still probably ENFJ in there too.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Piccolo is an interesting case as he presents the topic of type to more alien life forms. He was either Fi or inferior Fe for sure.

Frieza comes off as ESFJ during his fight with Goku but we'll have to hold off on that one for now.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Piccolo nominated and temporarily confirmed for ISTJ. He was spiritual and into deep meditation but also had a sense of duty, a role which he exercised greatly. It first began in DB when he vowed to get revenge on Goku for killing his dad, typical motivations. It later changed to a sense of duty to protect the Earth, his new home, from all dangers. He wasn't as strong as the Saiyans but still went forth, such as when they fought Brolly the first time. He's also popular for mentoring Gohan in preparation for the big battle after he killed Goku & Raditz. Next, he went to fight Frieza for destroying his newly discovered home planet but everyone must have known he wasn't strong enough to beat Frieza, only to stall for time. All of DBZ is people trying to prove their strength, though.

Krillin, the strongest human alive, might be ISFJ

Anyone have any type speculations on Brolly? I'd begin with ESFP

Goku is 100% confirmed ENFJ.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 5:11 AM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
Nah i think krillin is more of an esfx? imo, i don't think an isfj would marry a dangerous hot android. Goku is not an enfj, how you came to that weird conclusion? most likely an esfp if anything...
i mean of course he gets angry and gives speeches and stuff. but that's becuz he's a super hero bro! it's like when people type naruto as enfp, when he's obviously a sensor. hum

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:11 AM
-->
Everyone in DBZ is ENFP, except piccolo

Also Freeza saga is where it should have ended

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
LOL, we should make scene watch all of DB and give his take on the chars.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
*old guy sits in front of the pc, put glasses on, reads through the thread and concludes while looking at the cam

the three most powerfull minds discussing one of the most interesting topics ever in this place.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I'm taking that as a compliment.

Also we should start a group with our powerful minds.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Yes, that.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
In trying to practice brevity the only thing I can say is to watch all of DBZ and the material for Goku being ENFJ is there. Their role inadvertently is to protect the Earth and Goku does this without hesitation (Fe); on numerous occasions he expresses his interest being only to find strong opponents (Fe-Se), one of the reasons he spared Vegeta (Fe-Ni). Vegeta on the other hand knew that his only chance of surviving was to go soft, so to speak, and become a good guy. This is all beautifully illustrated when they reach planet Namek and hunt for the dragon balls.

At first he just wanted to prove he was the strongest but then he met Goku, who was somehow stronger or more passionate (he has something to fight for - Fe). Vegeta was discombobulated for being the "prince of all Saiyans" he was, apparently, supposed to be "the one" (Fi) but can't understand how a lower class warrior is actually "the one". Goku beautifully expresses his Fe during the fight with Frieza. He even says something about there being nothing wrong with only trusting feelings, seriously. I'll have to go back through the material and find these sources. The interplay between Nappa and Vegeta is also worthy of examination. His willingness to change lifestyle perhaps suggests weak Si, although there is clearly still some anchoring to the past with him.

ENFJs have Se in the 3rd position and Goku makes excellent use of his, obviously, so it might seem like he's an Se dom. However, his sense of justice is the main motivator for using his Se. His Se is only pushed to limits when mediated by his top Fe. His Ni, mostly hidden in ENFJs, is mainly used during fights. He doesn't only never give up but he manages to find ways to best the opponent. Instead of trying to beat Cell he forfeits the match and suggests Gohan go for it (Fe-Ni?) (*This is also for plot reasons; Toriyama wanted Gohan to become the main character but the fans wanted Goku back, eventually); also throughout the series he communicates plans of attack demonstrating wisdom - someone will try to attack an opponent but he'll stop them and tell them it isn't worth it.

It's a decent series but Toriyama said he doesn't feel it's his best work. It's interesting to note that in Dragon Ball it started off as mystical adventure genre influenced by Chinese lore but in Z, which picks up right after DB ends, 5 years later, it becomes more sci-fi. Toriyama's artwork has always featured machinery and in DB there was the Red Ribbon Army and their androids, but in Z they start going to space before later setting back on Earth and fighting androids and biologically engineered organisms & time traveling, before the Buu saga begins and they once again somewhat revert back to mysticism and magic. Frieza and the Saiyans are introduced as planet hustlers and there's a semi decent amount of astronomy in it. King Kai's planet is tiny but has heavier gravity than Earth, a phenomena worthy of minute amounts of attention. Of course other conditions may be necessary if this were to occur in real life, but the author probably had some fun with it regardless.

If the series ended at the Frieza saga that would have been too soon. Going off the anime, that's a little over 100 episodes, which is maybe what the author wanted. This being a business of course, he was pressured into doing more work which is why later on he started to get lax a bit. Once he couldn't make Gohan the main character is probably when he stopped caring so much. Knowing this, watching the series you can definitely get undertones of Gohan possibly becoming the main character. He couldn't really have done this if the series ended with Frieza, who is only the second antagonist, although some say he is actually the main one in the series.

Even going off that, it is helpful if one watches the less popular Dragon Ball series first, as Z picks up right after it. During the first few episodes and still later there are many references to DB, although they aren't exactly necessary to still enjoy Z. The series would just make more sense to newcomers if they went through DB first before going to Z.

And even with that, it is possible to suggest the series went off track with the third saga, the Android/Cell saga. It may seem out of place, which is why they tried to tie it in with DB's Red Ribbon Army, as Dr. Gero wasn't really a character in DB. I have seen it be suggested that the Cell saga should have been a movie and Brolly should have gotten to be a villain in the series over Cell. A decent proposal as the series would have focused on the Saiyans more rather than the sci-fi aspect. Brolly, though, while kind of lame, would have given the series an entirely different feel, if not a repetitive one, than the new age tone Cell brought. Vegeta wasn't really supposed to be a main character but he received lots of fanfare and so was brought on. The series was then given a new Saiyan character with Trunks (over Brolly), who had to show the progress these characters were making by easily defeating the previous villain Frieza and his more powerful father (Frieza, by the way, in his final form is designed as an alien. In his first forms along with Captain Ginyu, they resemble devils). Some also suggest, rather than the Cell saga, Cooler should have gotten more spotlight. This is still more rehash. The series, beginning with DB, was not intent on highlighting the Saiyan race. Even the Super Saiyan was created only so the assistant wouldn't have to use so much ink on the characters's hair. So with this third arc possibly being the last, the group needed a super powerful opponent to end with. Honestly, who knows where they got the idea for the Cell saga from? We needed a powerful enough villain to show that Gohan is now the main character, the torch having been passed.

A theme constantly revisited throughout the series. Even in the final saga, Gohan in his mystic form is not enough, after we see Goku struggle to save the day. So we are then introduced to Gotenks, who turns out to not be enough either, as the series, pressured by fans and politics, temporarily does away with its proposed theme and goes back to Goku saving the day again. It is clear why the final saga gets disapproval from many fans, who claim it does the entire series injustice. The series then is about a man and his family. Goku will always be there to save the day!

It should also be noted that, again while the series was "supposed" to end with the third saga and Gohan now being the savior of the Earth as his father finally passes away, Toriyama was pressured into nearly undoing that by being forced to do another chapter, to please the raving fans. The anime was only ahead of the manga by a little bit, so they were kind of winging it, which is why Vegeta was decided to be a staple character as well as the creation of the Saiyan race. It is unclear how much of the story was planned and how much improvised. The Frieza saga being the show's end makes some sort of sense, but the series ending one more saga after Frieza's makes more sense.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 7:11 PM
-->
And Pizzabeak attacks first with a wall-of-text, hitting for 30,000 damage after armor mitigation.

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
Today 1:11 AM
-->
Uh...I don't see why Goku whould be N. I understand and agree that he uses Fe as a lead function, but he seems more Ne-Si to me. ESFJ. All throughout the series, his personality is represented in a goofy, yet down-to-earth manner.

His worldview seems limited to what he has experienced and is susceptible to larger areas of unknown than an Ni-user's would be. If he used Ni extensively, then he would've filled these gaps using patterns he's observed. Instead, he's stuck in his own little world and doesn't seem to have any problems with that, not intentionally trying to expand or be more than what he is.

Oh! Conversely, Vegeta seems like a Se-Ni. A jealous and power hungry prince of an ESFP.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Decent proposals, and Goku can be considered to be an Si user. In the series he's archetypically portrayed as "the One", in a way. Because of this he's the first to achieve various Super Saiyan states in a way different from Vegeta, and other characters. In this case Goku wouldn't have been using Se for his physical activity, so to speak. Rather, Vegeta would have been but whether he was dominant Se is the question, although he may seem to be in some ways.

Vegeta was never as good a fighter as Goku but not all the reasons may not have been physical. That could not affect the way they perform as fighters. At first they were pretty even but then Goku turned out to be the legendary Saiyan. One thing Vegeta did was attempt to attain SS 2 and thought he did but actually attained an ascended Saiyan state which was more or less inefficient; it was between SS 1 & 2. This is one reason why I initially proposed him to be an "N" user, in that he was never really one of the strongest characters, I think Gohan and Trunks may have technically been stronger than him, and he never really defeated any of the major villains, Goku or Gohan did, although in some of the movies he got a few decent kills... The majority of the series, sadly, is him getting beat up by all the major villains. Obviously, this is a sort of consequence for all his sins and supposedly becoming a "good guy", is that he'll have to watch Goku achieve what he wants.

The series has a motif of "second chances" or reincarnation, even since DB. Almost every character in there was a villain or antagonist or rival of Goku before deciding to team up or become affiliated. In DBZ this was continued with first (or second?) main villain of a saga. He tried to let Frieza live at first but it didn't work out, but he came back anyway as half cyber. The final villain Buu was split into a few different entities with one of them being the true actual final villain. Majin Buu eventually actually turned into a good guy and even appears in some of the latest films, and Buu in general was reincarnated as "Uub" in the end, who basically was a good guy and teamed up with them. Also Android 18 was originally an antagonist but audiences were able to see her canonically become a protagonist and somewhat popular character albeit for plot reasons or what have you.

So Goku could actually be an Si user and his ability may not necessarily be due to Se. However, I originally proposed his ability to be due to Se, and think this may still be possible as all of his displays were not necessarily due to being good at fighting, for example. As with most anime characters all the Saiyans were infamous for displaying copious eating habits, although this can make sense due to all the physical activity they engage in. This could still be Si for Goku, but if he were ENFJ it would essentially be due to his Se. But Vegeta, on paper, doesn't seem to be loud enough and on more than one occasion he perhaps displays reasonable enough mannerisms in order to pass off as an "N" user. However, his lack of success in acts of physical display against other characters could come off as lack of Se, let alone dominant, but it could also be the notion that he is a dominant Se user, or just Se in general.

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever
he's ESTP in the MBTI
I'm never wrong
This thread is done now

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
A welcome suggestion

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
-->
it's true though, i'm absolutely right in ways that i'd have to teach people to fully comprehend

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Adult Goku is a holdover from kid Goku in that his personality is still naive when it comes to social situations and he has an unbridled hunger for adventure.

He's very reactive and rarely thinks of the consequences. He is highly protective of everyone he befriends and isn't afraid to risk his own life to save others. Ironically it's not his naivete that is his character flaw, it's that he's stubborn when it comes to winning and sportsmanship/fairness. A few times he puts others in danger because he won't 'lose the battle to win the war'.

In short, Goku is a simple, proud, protective, ambitious, adventures character. Only EP could make sense, he has no Je dom agenda, he's too active for Pi dom, and too reckless for Ji dom.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
lol not enfj, dude lacks agenda apart from saving the world

Goku, doesn't really have a type, he's not sophisticated enough and the traits which he does have make little sense, he's not himself because he doesn't have a self, he's just a vessel. The dude is better explained via archetypes. Alas I am much too lazy to bother with that.

If I had to type him I guess I would go with ISFP.

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
-->
lol not enfj, dude lacks agenda apart from saving the world

Goku, doesn't really have a type, he's not sophisticated enough and the traits which he does have make little sense, he's not himself because he doesn't have a self, he's just a vessel. The dude is better explained via archetypes. Alas I am much too lazy to bother with that.

If I had to type him I guess I would go with ISFP.

wrong, silly goose, settle your contradictions first, btw, which type you see yourself as?

you were close though, in the right direction

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
you wrongfully settle on silly contradictions goose

btw, which where the actual contradictions? btw2, many of your posts follow the same formula; you say that that whoever you are replying to is wrong, and indicate that you know better; neither saying why they are wrong nor why you are right, why?

I identify as INFJ.

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
-->
you wrongfully settle on silly contradictions goose

btw, which where the actual contradictions? btw2, many of your posts follow the same formula; you say that that whoever you are replying to is wrong, and indicate that you know better; neither saying why they are wrong nor why you are right, why?

I identify as INFJ.

im just right, its ok if you don't get it, you'll see it later and be like hahaha he really was right! idk maybe like 6 years

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
In short, Goku is a simple, proud, protective, ambitious, adventures character. Only EP could make sense, he has no Je dom agenda, he's too active for Pi dom, and too reckless for Ji dom.

yeah i agree complitely, it's so painfully obvious

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 6:11 AM
-->
son goku is indeed ENFJ, judging from the only consistent personality trait he has which is: eagerly and confidently rushing into some domain he feels like he understands perfectly yet cannot grasp the logic of, and be like "hells yeah this thing is the thing, ah right let's go people oh yeah" and if he was a real person with a real face he would do really monkey "true feeling" stuff with his eyebrows and mouth for emphasis.

his EP appearance is due to skillful ENFJ blame deflecting manipulation. ENFJ control environment to appear the most "at ease" person but this is only within the boundaries of the interactive life stage play they arrange. for Goku it is the super sayarin contest.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6QxfaU7bI0

Upon further inspection ESTP for Goku is the next best candidate, so far. However, for me at least, this reasoning is based off the American dub of the series, and little else. I will have to explore the other mediums in full depth in order to conclude this. Essentially, his potential "ESTP-ness" becomes more clear once he turns Super Saiyan for the first time. The potential shift in behavior makes sense and is explained through the fact that they get cockier the stronger they become, though. Obviously Goku remains more cool headed than say Vegeta does in situations revolving testosterone (anime is generally filled with Fi and Se).

I read some of the DB manga and some of the DBZ, I want to re-read the entire series plus watch the anime in Japanese in order to understand better.

However, he largely remains a vessel. I say this because in the American series (even with the Japanese music) he comes off as a generic American superhero type. It is probably similar otherwise. Once his personality/behavior is aggro'd via SS he just appears more intent on physical action and even becomes a much more strict father to Gohan, although they were in a rather sticky situation.

I shall re-iterate that Goku as a kid can be a major factor in determining this. As a whole, DBZ is classic in that it shows the progression and growth of various characters throughout the years, Goku no exception. I shall say as a kid in DB it is a little difficult to determine what his type was, although he was fairly confident in his social interactions, only because he is an alien it is that he is a bit out of the social norms. So for some reason, he cares. It may be due to an affinity for people and a makeshift position for him in it or he may just value the physical contest they afford, which his race predicts.

So to what degree do ESTP use Fe? When Vegeta goes SS his behavior or personality doesn't nearly change as much, he just acts more cocky. Goku on the other hand is actually noticeably absent for large chunks of the series. And he does seem to plan rather well ahead of time.

The issues are when Namek blew up he took a vacation on Yardrat then promptly made his way back home. It was the sensible course of action as he couldn't just make it straight home but he tried to get there as soon as possible. Are these escapades for the love of adventures or some aspect regarding his role or affinity for interaction.

It should also be mentioned that as a character he isn't really that likable. I mean, he's somewhat good to be a role model for youngsters but during interactions he comes off as a dry or flat character. He does exercise some sound judgments revolving around courses of action but he also appears simple or feeble minded, not really that deep or complex. He practically goes ESTP once he turns SS but otherwise he's generally calm and serene.

Just before Frieza is defeated they stop fighting, Goku claiming he can feel Frieza's decrease in power with every blow, and that it isn't even worth fighting anymore because of this. He declares himself the victor, gives Frieza a chance to leave, and attempts to depart himself. Only under extreme circumstances is he forced to actually kill Frieza and even then it is done in a manner so that he kills himself. This is generally assumed to be Fe. An ESTP trait Goke apparently displays is being able to see the potential in someone and wanting to bring it out of them (such as with Gohan, Uub, although the context is that they are martial arts practitioners so it is basically tradition to take in a disciple).

He is practically an amalgam of two, or more, types.

When Trunks comes from the future to warn them about the Androids and tells Goku of his fall to a virus Goku displays much disappointment and proclaims this event to be a "waste", in that he won't be able to fight the Androids and participate in the action (Se deprivation, which ENFJ have). He basically throws a fit.

DBZ is actually a good series and decently paced at that. It's nice how they are always way overpowered by the villains and struggle greatly to overcome them. Continuing with the sci-fi motifs introduced to DB in Z, they actually get into some basic time travel phenomena with the creation of new timelines (a la BTTF) when Trunks goes back. Additionally, Goku vs Frieza is a contest between two worlds. Frieza is an alien and was just always naturally strong whereas considering DB, Goku was chosen to represent Earth, our world, as its defender. They basically clash. It's aliens vs earthlings.

As far as Piccolo goes he certainly exercises adept use of Fi.

Top Bottom