• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Going Rogue : Report on The Incident of the 31st of January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
Today 7:03 PM
-->
By Order of the Imperial N T P Council

Administrator Jesin has been relieved of his duties and is no longer a member.

A Snowflake Falls

Poor gentle visionary Jesin went off his head and began destroying the Imperial Database in a frenzy, seizing the cockpot of power and excluding all others, who watched helplessly through the sealed glass doors as the lunatic hacked away at all the forums, threads and members.

Imperial Super-Administrator Ragnar noticed the forums were disappearing at 7.43; going to the admin panel he checked the logs and found Imperial Administrator Jesin had issued kill notices upon all engines and processes. He de-adminned the perpetrator and sent a message demanding what he supposed he was doing. A reply came that he was 'testing a theory'.

Ragnar had enough time to send alerts to the other Imperial Administrators, but immediately was unable to re-enter the Control Room as the unfortunate Jesin had deleted nearly all members including Administrators ( to delete Ragnar meant the configuration had been tampered with ).

The only forum was now 'The Party Room' where Administrator Jesin engaged mainly in conversations with himself; he having created additional members, creatures of his fantasy to chat to.

Ragnar contacted the hosts, and was told to wait.

At 10.48 he issued a 503 so that no-one, including Jesin, could access the site. This worked a few hours, then the nonsensical ramblings began again, so reluctantly --- as it might hinder the host company --- then issued, under advice, a 403 denying access to all.

One is the Loneliest Number

The Administration wishes to thank The Pale Horseman who registered to say to the madman, in 'The Loneliest Member':

Well, congratulations. You did it. You've accomplished your sought after revenge to a forum that you felt obligated to. You gained control of the thing that rejected you. I'm sure you must be enthralled.

Now what?

Assuming that this forum doesn't get nuked, or backlogged to a time when you didn't have control over it; you are now the owner of an empty forum, devoid of any lulz or human interaction.

Yes, your game is futile. This is your true end game. You gained nothing but isolation.

Enjoy.

To which Jesin replied:

You should be named The Preaching Horeseman. You are correct; what's a King without people to rule? The only policies are for myself, but I'm content with such.

The first thread Comrade Jesin started was 'I've Done It'.

All of the contingencies have been implemented. The forum will be restored shortly.:)
Additionally, I have a lovely proxy to conceal ISP + IP to frame.

The next thread was 'No Opposition'.

I have much prepared to counter each harshly. Submit and don't be idiotic with pride.

This was followed by a conversation between him and his other selves.

The next was 'You', talking to someone in his mind.

I see you, and there are others like you. Think rationally. This is chess and I've had far longer to plan ahead.

The last, towards the end, 'Hi There' may have been directed to this illusion of self or to the technician of the Hosting Company.

I see you. :) Why hide?

Finally the back-up from before his outbreak was restored and Jesin banned by the technician. It being a Sunday, this took more than 12 hours to implement, but finally the Super Administrator was able to enter the vacated Cockpit.

To little avail, since Jesin now launched a tremendous ddos attack that prevented anyone from viewing the forum. Ragnar was flung back by the force of the storm ( 3.5k error emails arrived in 4 hours until the hosts turned the warning option off ). Again, the only thing to do was to wait it out.

Aftermath

To what extent was the Administration itself to blame ? We are delighted to report 'Not at all'.

Mayhap we took little notice of his prior mutterings, because these were few. His exploit was not only doomed, but trivial: any mastermind can steal a car if they are given the keys. Eventually, you have to trust people, if they break trust that is not an argument for treating the world with suspicion and fright.

What reasons went through his puir demented head none of us will ever know. Did he hate the members ? Mistrust fellow Admins ? Detest the godless nature of discussions ? Was he the hireling of a rival forum ? He is now exiled to a place he can ponder these unrevealed matters.

If one grows to dislike or get bored with a forum it is simple to merely leave, even to join another. Start one even.

Pray for Ex-Administrator Jesin.

Claverhouse :phear:

'The Germans have always been a comforting people.'

The Big Bang Theory

LAM

Local time
Tomorrow 4:03 AM
-->
WOW. I am so pissed I didn't register and talk to him. What a missed opportunity...

lightspeed

Banned
Local time
Today 1:03 PM
-->
Contemplating a counter-attack is fun, as Jesin didn't do a great job concealing his identity. To what extent is undecided, until further discussion with Administrators.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Tomorrow 4:03 AM
-->
I was wondering what was going on. Does this sort of thing happen often with this forum?

That guy sure exhibited some strange behavior.

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
Today 8:03 PM
-->
'Jesin' as in Jesin? Atypical behavior, I must say.

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
Hero of the Revolution

I was wondering what was going on. Does this sort of thing happen often with this forum?

It barely ever happens here, but it is not unknown in the world of forums. Sometimes it's a powerplay to oust other administrators; sometimes it's a psychological crack-up due to having access to powers that are only meant to be used purposefully. The whole point of unlimited power is to restrain oneself from using it.

That guy sure exhibited some strange behavior.
He immediately awarded himself a post-count of 12,863.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:03 PM
-->
Well, quite a weekend for some folks. I'm just glad things are up and running. It was like coming home and finding your house had disappeared while you were out....

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->
I thought the Jesin account seemingly responsible for the incident was in fact a fusion of all administrator accounts; for an example, the photo albums shown were actually Anthile's. And the post count may have been the sum of all administrator's post counts, though I did not do the math on this.

So how can you be sure that it was in fact the real Jesin who was responsible for this incident and not just someone who somehow compromised his account along with all other administrator accounts?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Sad, I missed it. Place was broken when I left but fixed when arrived.

wadlez

Local time
Tomorrow 3:33 AM
-->
So thats what was happening. Was very confusing

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
We have no knowledge as to whether it was Jesin or someone who took over his account. Some argue for it being Face --- on confession, which is not evidence; some for it being Jesin, on IP tracing; some for Jesin and Face being one brilliant malevolent unholy joining.

However, sad as the world is, innocence does not mean one escapes the rigour of the law. Or the war. Justice has to be flexible enough to catch the innocent as well as the guilty to maintain order.

The only way he could have taken over every admin account would be to issue new password then log on as each ? Unless I'm missing something... All we know it was Jesin's account doing the seizing whilst the other admins were on board and thus separate from him.

lightspeed

Banned
Local time
-->
We have no knowledge as to whether it was Jesin or someone who took over his account. Some argue for it being Face --- on confession, which is not evidence; some for it being Jesin, on IP tracing; some for Jesin and Face being one brilliant malevolent unholy joining.

Qft.

I am a believer that the truth finds it's way to the surface, though. We will find out sooner or later.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm sure I saw Anthile's face all over Jesin's profile page.

I'm not accusing anyone, just stating what I saw :p

lightspeed

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm sure I saw Anthile's face all over Jesin's profile page.

I'm not accusing anyone, just stating what I saw :p

Not quite. I will take that jokingly, as it was implied? I'm not sure he could pull that off from a German ip address.

Not to mention that VFios wouldn't willingly allow people to use them as a proxy.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
What he meant was that the stuff you can see on the Profile page of accounts one after another showed up in the profile page of the Jesin-account. Like a picture of Anthile in Albums, and about 360 visitor messages (Some of which i know were my own).

Ogion

RMustela

Longtime Lurker
Local time
-->
Before I say what I'm about to say, I think it would be wise for me to give a little introduction. You probably haven't heard of me much, because I've been on lurker mode for a long, long time, but believe me when I say that I know Jesin. In real life. Since the fourth grade. We first found out about the MBTI together; our high school made us take it. Both of our results came out INTP. I said, "Hmm. Neat," and moved on to other things. Jesin... well, I think it's plain that he didn't. I first found out about this forum by shoulder-surfing and joined to see how long I could go without him figuring out who I was... with me dropping some outrageous hints along the way. (Does anyone in here remember the 'fake album cover' activity we did in here a long time ago? I did that, and then put the album cover picture on my iPod. And then left the screen out in plain view of Jesin. It was funny.) I've been gone for years, lost interest mostly. And the reason I came back was because midday yesterday Jesin messaged me on IRC and said "OMG, we got hacked."

IRC said:
--- Log opened Sun Jan 31 13:34:51 2010
13:34 -!- Irssi: Starting query in efnet with Jesin
13:34 <Jesin> AAARGH FREAKING XSS VULNERABILITIES
13:34 <Jesin> ...
13:35 <dyllad> which?
13:35 <Jesin> FACE DELETED INTPFORUM
13:35 <dyllad> aieee
13:35 <dyllad> hope you kept a backup
13:35 <Jesin> we did
13:35 <Jesin> I don't know how recent it is, though
13:35 <Jesin> and it hasn't been restored yet
13:35 <dyllad> now delete face, I guess
13:35 <Jesin> I'm contacting Ragnar right now
13:35 <Jesin> as for deleting face
13:35 <Jesin> ...
13:35 <Jesin> how?
13:35 <Jesin> :p
13:35 <Jesin> hitmen?
13:35 <dyllad> YES
13:35 <dyllad> INTP HITMEN
13:35 <Jesin> he probably wouldn't mind
13:36 <Jesin> the guy's freaking screwed up
13:36 <dyllad> what was the hashtag for the irc channel again?
13:36 <Jesin> #intpforum.com , on irc.ecnet.org

Just after he said that... said:
--- Log opened Sun Jan 31 13:36:38 2010
13:36 -!- rmustela [dylan@ecnet-55C2FF74.washdc.fios.verizon.net] has joined #intpforum.com
13:36 -!- Irssi: #intpforum.com: Total of 25 nicks [2 ops, 2 halfops, 0 voices, 21 normal]
13:36 -!- Irssi: Join to #intpforum.com was synced in 2 secs

You all think you know Jesin. Some of you think he could have done it, some of you don't. Well, I know that I know Jesin. I've run countless laps on the high school track with Jesin, engaging in endless debates on atheism. (I was the theist.) I've heard Jesin's famous velociraptor screech. (Which he has stopped doing in the past few years. Why?) I've seen him type furtively into INTPForum at his school computer, switching tabs away when anybody neared to avoid polluting the site with too many of his friends. (Sorry, Jesin!) I've seen that whenever someone (usually me) gives him a vertical chop to the head whilst saying 'Gashin!', he will invariably respond with 'Ding'... sooner or later, at some volume. And I've seen him physically attack me, with pokes and prods in a very INTP-like fashion, because on a forum we administered together (long-dead now), I was arrogant enough to make a whole new level of banning for some poor fool who dared sass me. (Although, for the record, that guy was obnoxious.) I know that I know Jesin, and that's why I know that it couldn't possibly have been him.

It wasn't Jesin. He didn't do it. You've got the wrong man, put him back now.

(I was a bit apprehensive about posting this, because I was worried that some of you might decide that I'm a Jesin sock-puppet and get rid of me. But what of it? Jesin was the reason that I came here in the first place – he may as well be the reason I leave. Also, the IP's different (same netblock, though, we do live near each other), but I think you've all gone beyond the stage where that's a concern.)

(Also, the cat favicon (:cat:) looks more like Nite Owl II from Watchmen, but I digress...)

(That said, if you can conclusively prove that he did it, I can thwack him on the head for you. In real life. Not that I needed an excuse.)

lightspeed

Banned
Local time
-->
Before I say what I'm about to say, I think it would be wise for me to give a little introduction. You probably haven't heard of me much, because I've been on lurker mode for a long, long time, but believe me when I say that I know Jesin. In real life. Since the fourth grade. We first found out about the MBTI together; our high school made us take it. Both of our results came out INTP. I said, "Hmm. Neat," and moved on to other things. Jesin... well, I think it's plain that he didn't. I first found out about this forum by shoulder-surfing and joined to see how long I could go without him figuring out who I was... with me dropping some outrageous hints along the way. (Does anyone in here remember the 'fake album cover' activity we did in here a long time ago? I did that, and then put the album cover picture on my iPod. And then left the screen out in plain view of Jesin. It was funny.) I've been gone for years, lost interest mostly. And the reason I came back was because midday yesterday Jesin messaged me on IRC and said "OMG, we got hacked."

You all think you know Jesin. Some of you think he could have done it, some of you don't. Well, I know that I know Jesin. I've run countless laps on the high school track with Jesin, engaging in endless debates on atheism. (I was the theist.) I've heard Jesin's famous velociraptor screech. (Which he has stopped doing in the past few years. Why?) I've seen him type furtively into INTPForum at his school computer, switching tabs away when anybody neared to avoid polluting the site with too many of his friends. (Sorry, Jesin!) I've seen that whenever someone (usually me) gives him a vertical chop to the head whilst saying 'Gashin!', he will invariably respond with 'Ding'... sooner or later, at some volume. And I've seen him physically attack me, with pokes and prods in a very INTP-like fashion, because on a forum we administered together (long-dead now), I was arrogant enough to make a whole new level of banning for some poor fool who dared sass me. (Although, for the record, that guy was obnoxious.) I know that I know Jesin, and that's why I know that it couldn't possibly have been him.

(I was a bit apprehensive about posting this, because I was worried that some of you might decide that I'm a Jesin sock-puppet and get rid of me. But what of it? Jesin was the reason that I came here in the first place – he may as well be the reason I leave. Also, the IP's different (same netblock, though, we do live near each other), but I think you've all gone beyond the stage where that's a concern.)

(Also, the cat favicon (:cat:) looks more like Nite Owl II from Watchmen, but I digress...)

Your input is appreciated. So, you both share the same network?

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
What he meant was that the stuff you can see on the Profile page of accounts one after another showed up in the profile page of the Jesin-account. Like a picture of Anthile in Albums, and about 360 visitor messages (Some of which i know were my own).

Ogion

Cheers for clearing that up Oggy.

You can tell I view people's profile pages regularly...

Anyway, I don't think a hacker would openly reveal themselves. (Unless they were either incredibly stupid or full of themselves). I don't consider Anthile to be either ;)

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
For the record, i have seen rmustela as him and what he says he is in irc. Not reguarly, but from time to time and a long while ago. (As early as February last year).

Ogion

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->
I highly doubt it was, and I believe many would share this sentiment.

So very troubling to see an admin fall from grace, even more so that it's likely the result of malevolent machinations beyond his control. I'm glad order has been restored and I expect to see Jesin's return, with or without his administrator powers, what matters is that we get our Jesin back.

Lost postings and other disruptions are annoying, but to forever lose a valued member of our community would be a tragedy, and exactly the kind of damage our enemies were trying to achieve.
A castle is more than stone and mortar, this forum is more than words and wit.

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
It must be understood that this was a serious incident: some parts of the structure were permanently damaged by the installation of the back-up --- this was unavoidable, and accounted for the database errors during the ddos attack; and without the professionalism and skill of our hosts we could have been stuck with a back-up dating back days, weeks or even months. I have been in a forum where that happened, due to no-one's fault, and it wasn't pleasant at all.

Jesin may be unbanned at some point, if he convinces he wasn't the perpetrator, but he could not be given back his admin powers, and I certainly couldn't endure that if I were he. The point is that guilt and innocence are irrelevant in the end, however unfair that is. Once compromised, one has to go. You remember, as a famous instance, the case of Generals Fritsch and Blomberg, framed by Göring along with his enemy Himmler: the first infamously accused of being homosexual, the latter of marrying a girl of ill-repute. Both were innocent, but once accused they had to go, and they went bravely.

None of the administrators can go by feeling. Sympathy is all very well, but most of the defence of Jesin amounts to people saying they don't think it's like him to do this, and that he claims to be innocent.

As in another famous scandal of the 20th century, the Profumo Affair, when the British Minister of War was accused of cavorting with sluts linked to soviet agents and he claimed to be innocent, one of the women gave us one of the most famous concise phrases in the English language: "Well, he would say that, wouldn't he ?"

And again, I repeat that innocence is not the issue. One of the main regrets of my life is that I cannot find one of Bierce's fables in books and online, that I remember from childhood and that influenced my whole being. It goes after this fashion.

A condemned man was standing on the scaffold arguing mildly with the sherriff, he asked some question, and the sherriff replied with the opposite assertion.

"Well, it's the same thing in the end." he said.

"It is entirely the same thing," replied the sherriff, " --- to you." kicking the lever.

menaceh2k

Local time
-->
OH Wow. I guess INTP's are not immune to such abuse of power.

It barely ever happens here, but it is not unknown in the world of forums. Sometimes it's a powerplay to oust other administrators; sometimes it's a psychological crack-up due to having access to powers that are only meant to be used purposefully. The whole point of unlimited power is to restrain oneself from using it.
It sounds like you were describing third world politics.

It must be understood that this was a serious incident: some parts of the structure were permanently damaged by the installation of the back-up --- this was unavoidable, and accounted for the database errors during the ddos attack; and without the professionalism and skill of our hosts we could have been stuck with a back-up dating back days, weeks or even months. I have been in a forum where that happened, due to no-one's fault, and it wasn't pleasant at all.

Jesin may be unbanned at some point, if he convinces he wasn't the perpetrator, but he could not be given back his admin powers, and I certainly couldn't endure that if I were he. The point is that guilt and innocence are irrelevant in the end, however unfair that is. Once compromised, one has to go. You remember, as a famous instance, the case of Generals Fritsch and Blomberg, framed by Göring along with his enemy Himmler: the first infamously accused of being homosexual, the latter of marrying a girl of ill-repute. Both were innocent, but once accused they had to go, and they went bravely.

None of the administrators can go by feeling. Sympathy is all very well, but most of the defence of Jesin amounts to people saying they don't think it's like him to do this, and that he claims to be innocent.

As in another famous scandal of the 20th century, the Profumo Affair, when the British Minister of War was accused of cavorting with sluts linked to soviet agents and he claimed to be innocent, one of the women gave us one of the most famous concise phrases in the English language: "Well, he would say that, wouldn't he ?"

And again, I repeat that innocence is not the issue. One of the main regrets of my life is that I cannot find one of Bierce's fables in books and online, that I remember from childhood and that influenced my whole being. It goes after this fashion.
That is a good point, and a smart way of running things. In the event that it was not Jesin, wouldn't it mean that the threat is still lurking out there. Are you guys taking the right steps to prevent this from occurring again. I love it here, I was bummed out when everything was gone. keep up the good work.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 6:03 PM
-->
I love when the powerful go mad, it's so very arousing.

I'll be quite honest, it seems like the admins have 'jumped the gun' and 'shot the messenger', or in this case, 'the puppet'.

I would like to see a full folio of evidence for having murdered Jesin when the only link you have to him is his account.

I might also add that If I were a hacker,well firstly you'd all be screwed, but secondly, Jesin,least active of the admins would be my first target of manipulation, being the weakest link.
I also consider him highly unlikely to do this, unless, he found some sort of ironic fun in it, or wished to prove an important point.

I'd do it, to be honest!

I don't feel qualified enough to comment beyond this, but feel inclined to th---
th-th-th-----think about the admins and their efforts in restoring the forum,and most importantly saving my account and several thousand gemlike posts.

Melkor blesses you.

*bows*

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Today 11:03 AM
-->
The only forum was now 'The Party Room' where Administrator Jesin engaged mainly in conversations with himself; he having created additional members, creatures of his fantasy to chat to.
Really? Creatures of his fantasy? I mean, it's a funny line to use. But it was Eldrian, Fleur, myself and other unknowns who were playing around in his party room. Don't give me this pravda.

We were doing it to try to figure out his identity... get him to respond a bit more. At one point he showed insight or knowledge of what we were talking about on IRC. He called us out on trying to discover who he was.

Anyway, even if it was Jesin (I don't know enough about face or Jesin to make an opinion) I think he should be brought back as a member. I, for one, was amused by the whole thing.

edit/// but good job recovering the forum! :D

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
The Perfect Gentleman

Melkor said:
I would like to see a full folio of evidence for having murdered Jesin when the only link you have to him is his account.

Well, the best evidence is that it was Jesin's account that initiated the coup, not anyone else's. Either it was Jesin, or he allowed, however inadvertently, his account to be taken over.

Since I recently offered you a Thomas Hardy poem, here's another to emphasize the blackness of the human heart in a way worthy of Bierce.

Wagtail and Baby

A baby watched a ford, whereto
A wagtail came for drinking;
A blaring bull went wading through,
The wagtail showed no shrinking.

A stallion splashed his way across,
The birdie nearly sinking;
He gave his plumes a twitch and toss,
And held his own unblinking.

Next saw the baby round the spot
A mongrel slowly slinking;
The wagtail gazed, but faltered not
In dip and sip and prinking.

A perfect gentleman then neared;
The wagtail, in a winking,
With terror rose and disappeared;
The baby fell a-thinking.

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
Really? Creatures of his fantasy? I mean, it's a funny line to use. But it was Eldrian, Fleur, myself and other unknowns who were playing around in his party room. Don't give me this pravda.

How do we know you are not a creature of his fantasy ?

He seems to have remarkable powers of creating personas and taking accounts.

I, for one, was amused by the whole thing.

Then the whole thing was worthwhile.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
I used to be an admin on a forum a few years back. I was highly praised (I'm blowing my own trumpet) because I never stepped out of line. I personally saw my admin status as a safeguard from being banned by fellow 'trigger happy' admins.

However, I went to a LAN party with fellow members from that very forum. I received a phone call and stepped out of the room. Within the 10 minutes I was missing from my machine, two of the members accessed my machine and banned many users they disliked using my name. My admin was removed due to these actions. Actions I myself would never do.

Was it my fault that all this damage was done?

My Admin was eventually restored due to my previous history and positive feedback from the forums users.

It did get more interesting a few months down the line as they also secretly made themselves phantom admins which they kept dormant until the prime moment. The forum and the community survived.

It is a sticky situation.

Not that it matters as you guys barely know me but I would reinstate his admin rights. I say this out of experience.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Hawkeye said, " I received a phone call and stepped out of the room."

Reminds me of the driver who said, "I took my eyes off the road."

Apparently when we lose our innocence there is a price to pay.

lightspeed

Banned
Local time
-->
Just an update:

As soon as the following information is submitted, Verizon Fios can find out exactly what went wrong.

In order to investigate your report, please submit a new report with a log file excerpt providing the specific details for the malicious traffic specific to a Verizon Online customer only.

Log file excerpts must be in plain text format, and include:

- Source IP address
- Source port(s)
- Destination IP address
- Destination port(s)
- Date
- Specific time
- Time zone (in which the log file time stamp is recorded)
- Brief synopsis

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->

Accusation is enough? So, if I accuse you...

We're not exactly in need of "target for blame". We're not in real politics nor in real society. Though, of course, your free to create conclusions. But how does being banned affect anything?

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
I really don't think it was Jesin that did this.
Firstly, he's not the sort of person (from what we've seen, and from what Mus (RMustela) has seen in real life.) who would do something like this. If he did get his account hacked (which I think is the most likely scenario) then he should at least be allowed to still be a member here, even if he isn't allowed to still be an admin.
I can't see any particular motive, and I would struggle to imagine Jesin doing this just for fun. Face on the other hand, claimed to have 'warned the admins' or something similar, and he had a reason for the attack. He apparently threatened to do something (I'm not sure if his threat was specific, or if it happened, this is just secondhand information, and it might've just been him boasting) if he wasn't unbanned. This could easily have been either a carrying out of that threat, Face being an attention whore, or just an attack on us as part of what seems to be a personal vendetta from him.

Secondly, Val was in contact with Face during the attack (via PM on irc or skype I think) and (although he might just have been saying this for the attention) he took responsibility for the attack. I also read some of the posts on the forum, and the writing style and the content were both similar to some things Face has been saying on irc, in channels that Jesin doesn't go in. Unless he got someone to give him logs and then he mimicked them or it was a very unlikely coincidence, this is another reason why I think it was Face.

Third, Jesin did arrive on irc at his usual time (I just checked in my logs), if he was the one doing it, and he was doing it for a laugh, then I think he would've either arrived early (to see the reaction quicker), or later (to divert attention away from himself). The troll also claimed to be on irc at some point, when Jesin wasn't on, but Face was iirc, although he didn't say anything, and I don't have him entering or leaving in my logs. Face doesn't normally come online particularly early, and he doesn't often stay for long, and I suspect he was lurking so that he could observe the reactions from the forum, although this could just be him looking for attention again, from the accusations of it being him spreading around.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Creating new threads? Can't find the button or link. Is this just me or has this ability vanished?

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
Accusation is enough? So, if I accuse you...

I think that one's account being used to take over a forum amounts to more than accusation.

We're not exactly in need of "target for blame". We're not in real politics nor in real society.

But members' accounts were at risk. Virtual they may be, people have a right to privacy and expectation of protection from hackers.

Though, of course, your free to create conclusions. But how does being banned affect anything?

The tech had to ban him so that the forum could not be immediately retaken once again. To allow him back in without getting the full story would compromise the system by risking the same entrance.

ashitaria

Banned
Local time
Today 11:03 AM
-->
Pfft. Yesterday was the worst day of my life. I had nothing to do, no one to talk to, and all because of that bastard Jesin (or his hacker)?:beatyou::beatyou::beatyou::beatyou::beatyou::beatyou::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip:

I remember when I first checked on the forum. My first thought was, "WTF?"
I thought it was a cleaning up of the forum, a maintenance hour, but it lasted the entire day.

Never did I expect a power-crazed administrator to be the cause.

*sigh*

/end rant

EDIT:

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Hold your tongue, Ashitaria.

violetblue

Local time
Today 12:03 PM
-->
someone gone John Nash(?) i'm sorry to hear it--if that's what happened. i wish him a good recovery.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If lawyers ever find out about INTPness, none of us will ever serve on a jury. The number of folks saying "isn't this interesting" is more than interesting, it's both typical and amazing.

Claverhouse et al, hope you get it sorted out, and kudos for making an "operational judgment" despite your INTPness.

----------------
So there's a lifeboat from the sinking of a passenger liner, and one of the people on board goes wacky and chops a hole in the bottom. Most of the passengers, after throwing the wacko overboard, start bailing. "Wasn't that interesting?" says the one INTP.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 12:03 PM
-->
... I'm speechless! I'll go ahead and vote that Jesin is allowed back, but I really don't have any further comment. :confused:

Also, for the record, that WAS interesting. ;)

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
*After consideration*

While I cannot believe this was Jesin's doing, I suppose the admins' decisions have to be respected. You're the ones, after all, who'll be cleaning up this mess if it happens again, and leaving the same hole through which the hacker entered open only invites disaster to come again...

But we'd better get Jesin back eventually. Even if he never posts. :(

How do we know you are not a creature of his fantasy ?

He seems to have remarkable powers of creating personas and taking accounts.

Because if we go down that road, there's no guarantee any of us isn't. I'd rather not see the atmosphere and persona of this forum fall apart and disappear because, after one remarkably asinine incident, everyone thinks everyone else is a hidden troll, and I'm sure there are many who agree with me.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I wanted to start a new thread:

"Is hacking morally right or wrong?" but don't know or can't find the path to do it.

If not Jesin, someone is guilty and Jesin has lost his innocence.

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:03 PM
-->
This is probably the only time when I step away from my usual role as a neutral observer.

Just like Valley, I was in contact with FacetiousPersona via IRC PM during the "hostage taking" and I can confirm that s/he has taken the responsibility of all this mess; s/he even implying that s/he has done this to other forums as well, but I do not know how true this statement is.

(...) although this could just be him looking for attention again, from the accusations of it being him spreading around.

If so, then s/he has some VERY good timing. Or is REALLY desperate.
If you want to openly take responsibility about hacking, you have to have (or at least believe that you do) some really strong back-up.

When looking back at it, I have to admit that it was a rather headlong action to take. After all, it is somewhat similar to deliberately running into a warehouse where a serial killer hangs out, although in an attack like that the target was the community as a whole, not individual members or their information (then it would be done with more subtlety, right?).
But let's live and let's see.

If it was FacetiousPersona, I do not believe that s/he is going to do the same thing twice. After all, s/he understood that the forum will be rebuilt anyway and the life will continue.

Phew, that was one fun day.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
"Is hacking morally right or wrong?"

The answer is simple. It's both.

Generally speaking though, hacking is considered to be bad because the intentions are usually destructive and detrimental to the 'majority' rather than constructive and beneficial.

But I don't want to spam this topic so I'll shut up now.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
The answer is simple. It's both.

Generally speaking though, hacking is considered to be bad because the intentions are usually destructive and detrimental to the 'majority' rather than constructive and beneficial.

But I don't want to spam this topic so I'll shut up now.
Hawkeye. Saying it's both is like saying robbing a bank is both because it teaches us to guard our banks more carefully or murdering is both because it teaches us not to be so vulnerable. If someone wants to start a new thread and tell 'em I sent ya we can spam over there.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom