• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

General tips you find helpful for life

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
Today 6:18 AM
-->
I'm thinking we should have a thread that helps us manage our lives a bit more, little pointers here and there that we've picked up to improve skills like time management. I'll go with a few as I'm a new student:

-Cook in bulk and meal prep
-Get out of bed under a minute after you wake up to prevent wasted time
-Plan your day into structures/modules, account for everything like food, travel time and of course breaks. Depending on the tightness of the schedule I give myself 5 minutes for marginal errors. I should do this more than what I'm doing currently.
-Another version of planning is simply the Pomodoro method
-Boil eggs and keep them as a healthy snack in the fridge, they wade off hunger quite well.

Let us share our wisdom with each other!

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 5:18 PM
-->
Sleep better.
Eat more vegetables.
Keep a Bullet Journal.
Learn to forgive yourself when you fuck up; take the lesson and be better next time.
Be kind to others.

If you get those, the rest will sort itself out imo

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
Today 7:18 AM
-->
Thanks for the tips. I can't think of any good ones of mine, right now, but I'm gonna cook a bulk of eggs, when I get home!

Rebis

Local time
-->
If you look at the traffic lights for cars rather than pedestrians, you can plan how to cross the road without looking for the green man. There's usually a delay of 1-2 seconds from when the traffic lights signal the car to stop and when the pedestrians are signaled to cross. I also look out for interconnected roads because if one road is running then the other cars won't go. I think I save a lot of time waiting at the traffic lights, of course this is pointless if I run across the road prior to a friend as I'll be wasting the same time regardless.

Rebis

Local time
-->
Face your fears on your own terms or Fears will eventually face you in your unprepared state. The modicum amount of control you have in this world is control over what you think and what you do.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
The traffic light delay is there for a reason, though, so be careful! I do this, too, and I've nearly been hit a couple of times by drowsy drivers. I figure I should stop. Keep in mind many drivers have made the same observation you have, and are pushing the limits, and old and drunk people have poor reflexes to react to the light shifts.

Do you recommend a good way of boiling eggs? Ive bought twelve large ones, and figure I should hard boil them so they keep better? I'd be eggstremely grateful :P

Oh... one tip. If you're at a crossway and need to cross both roads to get to where you're going, hit both the pedestrian buttons, not just the one of the road you are first crossing. If other pedestrians see you do this, they might give you dirty looks because they don't understand what you are doing, and think you're sabotaging traffic. That would be a good time to... what did you call it, "glance" them? :P

Rebis

Local time
-->
Yeah I hard boil them, I can fit about 9 in my pot at once. I usually leave them in for 12 minutes, empty the boiling water into the sink, fill up the pot with cold water and them peel the shells off (Try and get the shell off all in one instead of fragmentation, a light squeeze can often loosen up the shell)

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
Do you boil the water before dropping the eggs in? Sorry about the late reply, I missed the notification.

Rebis

Local time
-->
Yeah on the kettle which takes 3 minutes, then boil for the remaining 9

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
these are all guidelines I follow:

• use paper plates instead of real plates to not waste time doing dishes
  • don't wash, iron or replace clothes until you start getting comments (saves both time and money)
  • never check your work email (if it's important people will eventually come to you in person)
  • decline all invitations to meetings and events (if it's important people will come to you in person)
  • don't clean your work desk until you start getting comments
  • don't clean your apartment until unusual smells start appearing (I "clean in bulk")

Rebis

Local time
-->
I passionately agree with virtually every statement in this video, think someone might like this:

Rebis

Local time
-->
If you want to stop connecting to a website permanently outside fire extensions on your computer, go to where windows is installed (My directory is LocalDisk: C)

Windows > System32 > Drivers > etc > hosts

Open up the file in notepad, if you're not an administrator go to properties of the file and give all permissions.

at the bottom of the page add the websites you want to ban by typing the following:

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 2:18 AM
-->
I passionately agree with virtually every statement in this video, think someone might like this:
I have to come back to this later but watched a few minutes and it reflects a lot of my beliefs for sure

_

A few things to add:
  1. Surround yourself with the right people, the closest 5 people in your life will influence you immensely. Cases where this has worked against me was being surrounded by family members who had good intentions but behaviors of complacency and fear of risk disguised as stability. You can brainwash yourself negatively if you're not careful.
  2. Make affirmations of who your are and what you appreciate about yourself. If you want to strengthen others, strengthen yourself first.
  3. Know that you can always go further than your mind makes you think. Your mind might say "I've reached 100%" but that isn't true. We wouldn't have Olympians if athletes stopped at "100%" due to simple build up of lactic acid in the physiology. Same rule applies to the mind and expansion of intellectual capacity. Mind > Matter.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->

• don't wash, iron or replace clothes until you start getting comments (saves both time and money)
  • never check your work email (if it's important people will eventually come to you in person)
  • decline all invitations to meetings and events (if it's important people will come to you in person)
  • don't clean your apartment until unusual smells start appearing (I "clean in bulk")
I bet your work email is full of people telling you wash, iron, replace your clothes and clean your work desk :P

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 8:18 AM
-->
If you want to stop connecting to a website permanently outside fire extensions on your computer, go to where windows is installed (My directory is LocalDisk: C)

Open up the file in notepad, if you're not an administrator go to properties of the file and give all permissions.

at the bottom of the page add the websites you want to ban by typing the following:

HAXORZ!!!!
<.<...>.>... thats how I block Adobe programs from connecting to Adobe... shhh

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->

HAXORZ!!!!
<.<...>.>... thats how I block Adobe programs from connecting to Adobe... shhh
It allows you to easily run Photoshop without a license?

Kormak

Local time
-->
It allows you to easily run Photoshop without a license?

Good sir, you offend me deeply! I said no such thing! hmph!
:P I'll have you know, I use GIMP!

Kormak

Local time
-->
Guys... how do I stay organized and keep a... r...routine?
Failing badly here... need halp. My home office always looks like a bomb hit by Friday... Saturday I clean up... next week chaos again.

Rebis

Local time
-->
Your program will still connect to adobe's servers using that method, it just doesn't loopback to your machine!

Also, watch JBP so you can put da order in chaos, clean your god damn room you hippie

:P I'll have you know, I use GIMP!

Hate GIMP, all about dat PIMP lyf

Rebis

Local time
-->

Shit in your chair until someone says something to you, they'l eventually comment to stop. It saves time

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 2:18 AM
-->
Don't use utensils for mixing any powdered goods, just pour it from the bag, and if your phone is nearby, make sure you pour it all over your phone too so your phone smells nice and not of technological doom, and when the powder gets into the crevices of your phone, question your entire existence until your next pomodoro, rinse and repeat until you've gone through the entire day's worth of pomodoros, it's not wasteful if you find meaning in suffering

Rebis

Local time
-->
-Doubting yourself is the same as forfeiting your chance to succeed.
-You can't inhale/exhale at the same time, exhale as you walk past/behind active cars to avoid the bulk of pollutants

The ability to focus is measured by your ability to concentrate on one thing, you can achieve this by two ways:
  1. Decision to focus
  2. Aversion to stimulus (which limits the possibilities of your focus, such as friends, internet browsing and the like.)

lootwowgold

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:18 PM
-->
Monaco simply played an awful match. All things considered, my men's section is out the window.Now the game MapleStory is exceptionally popular everywhere throughout the world. So Cheap is well-known to you.

Rebis

Local time
-->
Don't use the gym as your only mechanism for working out. If you're in your room 90% of the time do at-home workouts. You'll save time, there's no excuses and you don't have to wear any particular clothes (I'm always wearing jeans.) Anytime you get the impulse drop and give me 20.

Top Bottom