• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Fixing the computer guy posture

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Today 5:23 AM
-->
Hmmm. I've always wondered about "Repetitive Stress Syndrome". Seems like it's less related to bad posture than it is to...repetitive stress.

In other words, in another few years this guy's Logitec mouse and ergonomic keyboard are simply going to cut a different groove into his muscles and joints like his former ones did. End result the same.

Actually learned this driving tow trucks. Even when all the trucks in a fleet are the same make, there are always subtle differences in things like clutch pressure points, shifter positions, steering input, and even seat wear. It may amount to nothing for a casual driver, but when you're in the thing for 10+ hours a day something like a seat cushion that is worn out enough that you're sitting a few millimeters lower than usual will start to wear on you fast. Jump into another truck and you'll notice all the subtle differences right away. It's not so much that the seats in one truck versus another are worn out enough to make driving uncomfortable. It's just that subtle change of a millimeter here or there that makes the difference. All the pressure points are changed just enough to put the stress on slightly different areas of your body, thereby more evenly distributing the effects of repetitive stress.

Which is, I believe, an inevitable consequence of years and years of repetitive motion. 20+ years of action has definitely taken its toll on my clutch knee, even though I haven't driven tow trucks for a couple years now, I still feel it.

Anyway, that's why we had truck rotations every six months. Also distributes wear and tear more evenly across the machinery, as clutches and transmissions in particular are as sensitive to idiosyncratic repetitive inputs as the drivers are.

I don't sit at my computer for 10 hours a day, but just looking at my keyboard it's obvious that I'm an FPS gamer, since the letters on the ASWD keys are completely worn away and the black plactic on those keys is worn smooth and shiny. I can also clearly see exactly where I hit my space bar, thanks to the patches of smooth shiny black plastic where the mottled factory 'grip' finish is worn smooth.

I have three desk chairs. None of them are particularly special, just typical Office Depot stock. I rotate chairs whenever I start to feel the wear and tear on my back. Due to being over 230 lbs. the first thing that wears out on my chairs is the height adjustment jack. I sit in the full upright position due to my legs being so long. When I use one chair continuously, the shock starts wearing out (sinking) after about 6 months, putting additional strain on my knees and lower spine. With three chairs in rotation, the shocks on the chairs never start to fail. I don't know if it's related to something like the shocks 'get a rest', but it saves both the shocks and my back.

C.Hecker88

Lily of the Valley
Local time
Today 7:23 AM
-->
I did an entire project in school about this just recently. I remember it quite clearly because I felt like an ENTP giving the presentation. It was badass.

Anyways, I recommend getting a better chair and keyboard. If you don't already have one, I also suggest getting one of those trackball mice.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 5:23 AM
-->
Yeah, the place I'm at now there's no desk here so I sit in various awkward positions on the bed whilst using a laptop. It gets pretty ridiculous after a while. After I came across the word 'ergonomics' some odd amount of months ago it became that much more apparent.

Top Bottom