• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

First time Homebuyer.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:53 AM
-->
What was the average age of a first time home buyer in 2014?

I bought my house when I was 26 in 2014.
Is this normal?
Do girls like guys that have their own house?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 8:53 PM
-->
Internationally? No idea.
In any given country it would vary wildly by state and demographic.

You bought my place earlier this year and I'm 27 so you beat me to it but now that we know each other's approximate age I get to call you old :D

Having your own place certainly makes having sex easier but it won't introduce you to anyone and bragging about having your own place can make girls that are still living with their parents feel insecure.

I think after thirty (when everyone's considering settling down to have kids) owning your own home outright is very attractive, at least so I've heard.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 5:53 PM
-->
Hey Cog if you uhh stay in a tent somewhere can I pretend to own your place to pick up guys/girls? kthksbye

Right now I'm tossing up staying where I am and saving to buy or renting a solo place.

Deleted member 1424

Is this normal?

As with all 'do girls like X questions;' it depends on the woman. If a particular woman is looking to settle down in the area where you live; it looks great. It looks good to traditional people with traditional desires. If they don't want kids, they're significantly less likely to care. The inherently nomadic, minimalist childfree weirdoes like yours truly will see it more as a hassle and feel trapped by it if they are engaged in a serious relationship with you. The 2007 housing bubble also looms stark in the memory of many. Hopefully you have the ability to sell your house if necessary.

If you have a specific woman in mind the question become much easier to answer.

sidenote: and hopefully you don't live in a flood area near the coast.

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
Today 1:53 AM
-->

Is this normal?

I suppose they do, in general, or at least having a place to yourself that you rent.

Its better having the home in someone else's name, or your own if you have no need to put it in someone's name.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hey Cog if you uhh stay in a tent somewhere can I pretend to own your place to pick up guys/girls? kthksbye
So you're going to find some guy/girl that's looking to settle, lie to them and use them for a one night stand?

Right now I'm tossing up staying where I am and saving to buy or renting a solo place.
Not living with flatmates is heaven.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:53 AM
-->
It obviously doesn't hurt to have assets and resources, but you also obvioulsy cannot rely only on that to attract a mate.

But it's also a good setup for getting an ugly wife who can cook and clean and do your laundry. As the Chinese proverb says - an ugly wife is a great asset in the house.

Alternatively, you can just wait until all the millennial women reach their mid 30s and realize they need to find a husband with a house fast. There's gonna be blood in the streets, folks.

Local time
Today 8:53 AM
-->
But it's also a good setup for getting an ugly wife who can cook and clean and do your laundry. As the Chinese proverb says - an ugly wife is a great asset in the house.

yeah, the pretty ones are all degenerate slovenly whores

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 9:53 AM
-->
I will be impressed if man build self-sufficient house (no bills) with big orangery - flora for each climate approprietly. Selling surplus energy to the grid and share that pasive income with me.(*WINK WINK*) House in woods and mountains with access(~15 km) to the exclusive clinic with the most innoviative technologies. House with big library, painting studio, music studio with instruments from all around the world, and laboratory I could do my own soaps and other cosmetics. House with horses and place for wounded animal to heal. I dream the dream that cannot be. I dont have anything to ofer for man from my dreams.
What he would want anyway?

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
So you're going to find some guy/girl that's looking to settle, lie to them and use them for a one night stand?

Not living with flatmates is heaven.

The answer to that question is no... right?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The answer to that question is no... right?
Morally you do you man.
Practically, you're not going to pick up anyone by claiming you have a place to take them and my computer's here, nobody is allowed in the presence of my computer unattended.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Morally you do you man.
Practically, you're not going to pick up anyone by claiming you have a place to take them and my computer's here, nobody is allowed in the presence of my computer unattended.

Well no I can pick people up without claiming I have a place to take them. The issue is having a place to take them.

But seriously I'm in a good living situation price wise right now. If I save for even just a year I could probably buy my own place (well the down payment part yada yada) or I could rent a solo place for probably a fortune and take much longer.

What do you think I should do?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You should go live on a boat with a lover in every marina.
It's possible but docking is always an issue, most marinas don't want to be used as floating trailer parks and designated buoys are in short supply. Technically you can lay anchor almost anywhere but unless you're completely self sufficient you'll want to dock somewhere to recharge and refill water/fuel tanks. A washing machine takes a lot of power and water so you'll be washing clothes by hand or paying to use one on shore, if you're cooking with propane that's another tank that need periodic filling, batteries don't have infinite charge cycles either.

It can be done, people do it, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is just looking to save some money, it would be cheaper/easier and possibly safer to live in a trailer park, it's really only something done by people who want to go to sea for the sake of going to sea.

The Gopher said:
But seriously I'm in a good living situation price wise right now. If I save for even just a year I could probably buy my own place (well the down payment part yada yada) or I could rent a solo place for probably a fortune and take much longer.

What do you think I should do?
Renting somewhere cheap and saving hard until you have a mortgage deposit is the smart thing to do but without help it's a long and difficult path. It's possible to live very cheaply in a share-house but even living with people you like can get tiresome after a few years.

If you go into a share-house make sure your flatmates are likewise motivated, be it studying or saving up a deposit, if they're studying game development or just working part time they're not going anywhere and if you're not careful they'll drag you down.

Renting solo is a lifestyle choice, you won't be saving much but if you've already completed some tertiary education and your focused on climbing the corporate ladder you can get away with it. I know some young IT contractors that make shitloads of money and rent inner city apartments, they know they could get their own places in the suburbs but they're too busy working on their careers and for that they want the convenience of a 10min walk to work.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 3:53 PM
-->

I think it will attract women who wishes to settle down and have a source of income and/or connections (church/family etc.) within the area of your house. It won't attract women who wish to migrate to a new region/country though since having a house will reduce their mobility.

Deleted member 1424

It's possible but docking is always an issue, most marinas don't want to be used as floating trailer parks and designated buoys are in short supply. Technically you can lay anchor almost anywhere but unless you're completely self sufficient you'll want to dock somewhere to recharge and refill water/fuel tanks. A washing machine takes a lot of power and water so you'll be washing clothes by hand or paying to use one on shore, if you're cooking with propane that's another tank that need periodic filling, batteries don't have infinite charge cycles either.

It can be done, people do it, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is just looking to save some money, it would be cheaper/easier and possibly safer to live in a trailer park, it's really only something done by people who want to go to sea for the sake of going to sea.

Maybe in your part of the world, which is admittedly more relevant to gopher, but I've been to 20+ unique marinas in the western US and there's always quite a few people living there, both on and off boats and with and without money. Plus lot of constant new people = lots of opportunity. If you know where to go in your local area can find lots of floating parties too (boats tied together) where the nobody is wearing much clothing.

Top Bottom