• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Fear of Suicide

DrSketchpad

Local time
Today 7:12 PM
-->
Let me start off by saying I am NOT suicidal, I've never wanted to not live.

What has been troubling me for the past year or so is the fear of committing suicide. Its just this fear that hangs around in the back of my mind all the time. I'm not sure if other people have this or can relate, so I posted this in hopes that one of you could help me get over it or if i can.
Any help would be appreciated thanks!

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:12 PM
-->
There could be many reasons to fear death; here's a sampling of the most popular:

Feeling that you haven't accomplished enough

Ego-mind's willful fixation on the body

Fear of the unknown and ontologically implications of death

Fear of being trapped in deprivation or suffering

What exactly frightens you about death? I can't imagine someone relatively impervious to a fear of death being so fixated on suicide. Feel free to attempt to disabuse this prejudice, if applicable.

You should bear in mind that death does not occur during life. It innately demarcates the telos of flesh and body existence. Your earthbound consciousness does not linger post-life.

It is this very non-lingering and unknown aspect that frightens ego-mind.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Tomorrow 4:12 AM
-->
Don't panic about doing something you don't want to do. Besides you should have an inbuilt humour system for when you get really depressed.

Start panicking when you want to not live or if you really have to create a contingency plan or something...

DrSketchpad

Local time
-->

What exactly frightens you about death? I can't imagine someone relatively impervious to a fear of death being so fixated on suicide. Feel free to attempt to disabuse this prejudice, if applicable.

I don't know exactly, I guess what frightens me about it is exactly that, for whatever reason, if I do get so depressed in my lifetime and in the unlikely instance that I do choose to end my life, that'll be MY decision.

Like I said before, I've never wanted to NOT live, sure I've been extremely stressed and depressed, but It frightens me that it is possible however unlikely it'd be, that it would go to the next level. I guess it's kind of an irrational fear, but a fear nonetheless.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't know exactly, I guess what frightens me about it is exactly that, for whatever reason, if I do get so depressed in my lifetime and in the unlikely instance that I do choose to end my life, that'll be MY decision.

Like I said before, I've never wanted to NOT live, sure I've been extremely stressed and depressed, but It frightens me that it is possible however unlikely it'd be, that it would go to the next level. I guess it's kind of an irrational fear, but a fear nonetheless.

It seems totally irrational. If you did decide to do it, there wouldn't be a "you" to have much compunction. If you didn't go through with it, which you probably will not, your present worry is pointless. And why worry about something so remote and improbable anyway? Doesn't that only sully the present? It seems like an excellent deterrent to growth. ;)

DrSketchpad

Local time
-->
Don't panic about doing something you don't want to do. Besides you should have an inbuilt humour system for when you get really depressed.

Start panicking when you want to not live or if you really have to create a contingency plan or something...

I don't know why I worry, but I do, you are absolutely right though.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 12:12 PM
-->
The problem starts when you stop worrying about suicide...

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 8:12 PM
-->
It's a mental barrier. I think it makes sense to try to control this fear. As it would make you less of a tool. The government would have to put in more effort if wrong decisions would mean that the whole population would suicide. This fear is created because you value something. Could be possessions, your mind, family, your car etc. The stronger your attachments the stronger the fear. Often it's not suicide one fear, more likely what one will lose, and not one's life, but one's possessions, one's life work, the meaninglessness. I think those who get executed, if they are to do that calmly must go through a purifying process at the last moment. Not much of a fan of the emotionally upset suicides, typical teenage hormone imbalance. But like the monks who set fire on themselves, that I think is impressive. I think it makes sense to work out this fear, if one can, as it can make one more content with what one have, achieve more serenity in one's life. And not attach oneself to materialism that was never yours to own in the first place.

I think if you manage to live more free, fear of suicide won't plague you. To illustrate this I noticed at the farm, that newborns will roam freely. But once it's lived in a bordered stall for a while. It gets attached to this place, and terrified of stepping outside if you open the door. They may even hurt themselves to resist going out to freedom. I tend to be utterly fascinated by this, and it's generally similar. But some are more affected then others. Some will start to boss around. And a community is formed. When we mix in another calf. There is a huge commotion with bullying/excitement/disruption of the newcomer. But after a few days it's settled, and a new reality is formed. But it's clear that familiarity creates attachment. And no matter how good or bad this is, braking that bond comes difficult. Braking the bond to one's life should be the most difficult if it comes to this. As it is the ownership one have that is of the highest authority. And probably also what creates the most sound barriers, as it's always been there creating definitions, limitations. I doubt suicide is the answer, but neither is the fear of it.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The problem starts when you stop worrying about suicide...

@Kuu

Such a statement seems vacuous. You could replace problem with solution or stop with begin and it wouldn't really change the meaning of the sentence. I'm just saying. :phear:

deadcaribou

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I could be totally wrong but that sounds a lot like obessional OCD to me. I used to be like that (different themes but the same essential irrational uncontrolable fear for something you rationaly know as irrelevent). If that's your case, then behavioral therapies work very well. Anyway, go check with a professional. These obstructive thoughts can be a PITA..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purely_Obsessional_OCD
Good luck ;)

DrSketchpad

Local time
-->
I could be totally wrong but that sounds a lot like obessional OCD to me. I used to be like that (different themes but the same essential irrational uncontrolable fear for something you rationaly know as irrelevent). If that's your case, then behavioral therapies work very well. Anyway, go check with a professional. These obstructive thoughts can be a PITA..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purely_Obsessional_OCD
Good luck ;)

That wiki page sounds almost exactly what it is, good to know its actually a thing

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:12 AM
-->
I wrote something about this on another thread, and it may seem like I'm repeating myself, but it is a bit like that urge that freaks you out when standing near a cliff's edge; suddenly you are scared you might jump, and you take a step back. The thought appears because it is trying to protect you.

I have spoken with parents who blame themselves for having thoughts of abusing or hitting their own children; the thoughts appear because they remind you to be mindful of the darker side we all carry within. It is completely natural. But these thoughts may become all-consuming or manifest as an OCD-like state if one is particularly depressed or feeling vulnerable.

I have these crazy thoughts sometimes when I drive at night-time. Suddenly they just appear in my head: I'm having involuntary visions of deliberately swerving into the opposite lane and crashing into oncoming traffic. I go through the whole crash, graphic details included. It is quite vivid, and very frightening. I think it just serves to keep me alert, and I have accepted these thoughts as part of my self-preserving nature.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 4:12 AM
-->
I wrote something about this on another thread, and it may seem like I'm repeating myself, but it is a bit like that urge that freaks you out when standing near a cliff's edge; suddenly you are scared you might jump, and you take a step back. The thought appears because it is trying to protect you.

I have spoken with parents who blame themselves for having thoughts of abusing or hitting their own children; the thoughts appear because they remind you to be mindful of the darker side we all carry within. It is completely natural. But these thoughts may become all-consuming or manifest as an OCD-like state if one is particularly depressed or feeling vulnerable.

I have these crazy thoughts sometimes when I drive at night-time. Suddenly they just appear in my head: I'm having involuntary visions of deliberately swerving into the opposite lane and crashing into oncoming traffic. I go through the whole crash, graphic details included. It is quite vivid, and very frightening. I think it just serves to keep me alert, and I have accepted these thoughts as part of my self-preserving nature.

Thankfully someone else explained it better than I could.

I frequently caught the train during my school years, and I always wondered about simply stepping in front of it as it approached. It always interested me that I wasn't suicidal and that I had no intention of doing it, but still the thought crossed my mind.

It seemed like a warning I suppose, an unconscious reminder of the danger present and how fragile my life was. Similarly thoughts of murdering other people aren't reflective of things I want to do, just something that I'm aware I could do.

Thoughts like this cross my mind from time to time, it's not really something I consider a problem.

Top Bottom