• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Favourite Game soundtrack?

Architectonic

Local time
Today 3:33 PM
-->
I'm wondering what you guys consider to be your favourite and most memorable game soundtracks? Not limited to games of the recent era of course, but can include C64 greats, earlier Mac, PC games such as Star Control II etc.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 3:03 PM
-->
I have always liked the soundtrack of the halo series.

Halo 1 is still a damn good game.

James Black

Local time
Today 1:03 AM
-->
Anything from the Secret of Mana soundtrack is awesome.

Latro

Local time
-->
Chrono Cross, bar none. I've managed to listen to it enough that I am actually starting to get sick of it now, though; but that took weeks of listening to pretty much just it.

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
I'm going to agree with Latro. Chrono Cross, hands down (though I don't see how anyone could ever ever grow sick of it!).

A few other good ones would be FFIX and Braid.

James Black

Local time
-->
I'm not going to say Chrono Cross has bad music by any means, but I must ask: are you all ranking Chrono Cross above Secret of Mana, or have some of you not listened to/played Secret of Mana?

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 10:03 PM
-->
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Underground
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Battlefield: Bad Company (The surf music station)
Call of Duty (the older installments)

RobertJ

Local time
Today 12:03 AM
-->
I always really enjoyed the soundtracks for Castlevania games. Particularly Portrait of Ruin.

5k17

suspective
Local time
Today 6:03 AM
-->
Fantasy General and Skyroads.

EvilScientist Trainee

Science Advisor
Local time
Today 2:03 AM
-->

Latro

Local time
-->
I'm not going to say Chrono Cross has bad music by any means, but I must ask: are you all ranking Chrono Cross above Secret of Mana, or have some of you not listened to/played Secret of Mana?
I have beaten Secret of Mana. I didn't really notice its music very much; it's an unfortunate consequence of being in the 16 bit era in general. I remember a few catchy tunes, but nothing was especially memorable, even by 16 bit standards. I've never listened to its soundtrack out-of-game, however.

James Black

Local time
-->
Sadly, I almost exclusively think of 16 bit games when thinking about Video Game soundtracks: but this thread made me realize I was thinking inside of a very small box.

Also: I have a friend obsessed with Final Fantasy music. And that in mind, I'm a big fan of The Black Mages. Would that technically count as a Game soundtrack?

hope

Local time
-->
Borderlands
Ain't No Rest for the Wicked
Cage the Elephant

I was walkin' down the street...

Architectonic

Local time
-->
Anyone have a soft spot for Jeremy Soule?

nim

starquaker.
Local time
-->
Arcanum. Yep, yep.

Architectonic

Local time
-->
Arcanum. Yep, yep.

Provided free in lossless & sheet music!

http://www.benhouge.com/arcanum.html

I'm disappointed after I found out that the hypnotizing theme from Mass Effect "Uncharted worlds" (starmap theme), was just a preprogrammed sequence in Arturia Moogmodular. So I think the JM blanchett should have been credited as a Mass effect composer LOL. Oh and that is not the only one of his preset sequences that has turned up in the soundtrack either.

Kokoro

Local time
-->
Overall, I'd go with the Hitman series soundtracks. While they're all great, I like the second one, Silent Assassin, the best

The Frood

knows where his towel is
Local time
-->
Riven, and Incoming (anyone remember that game?)

Kwiftee

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:03 AM
-->
Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and Cave Story.

Anyone who disagrees is actually objectively wrong. OBJECTIVELY I SAY :3

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
-->
Chrono Trigger, for sure.
Also Metal Gear Solid.
Legend of Zelda.

Ach

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->
Heavy Rain
Assassin's Creed 2 & Brotherhood
Hitman
Oblivion
Gothic 3

CowSavior

White Jesus
Local time
-->
Okami is probably my favorite OST.
Aside from various Megaman X games.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
^ Weird, I was just thinking of SoTC a few minutes ago.

Latro

Local time
-->
Jeez. I only beat FFX once, with my original completion being relatively shortly after it came out. I then spent a whooooooooole lot of time on the endgame content, and completed a sizable amount of it. I had all the Celestials, I think I killed all of the non-original arena monsters, and I know I unlocked everything except Nemesis. This influences my memory of it (poorly, overall, tbh; FFX's endgame has more tedium and less ingenuity than it should have.)

I had forgotten how good the main body of FFX was. Admittedly the main body is basically FFXIII style, with almost no exploration to speak of, but the story, characters, visuals, music, even to some extent the combat...brilliant. It's gone downhill from there.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky. The music at the Bandit's base in particular is just awesome...makes me want to get up and start kicking the furniture in a Russian folk dance. And sitting around the campfire with my guitar/harmonica wielding Stalker comrades is a pleasure no other video game has yet matched. I even got paid by one of them to rescue his fallen buddy's guitar from a pack of disgusting mutants and bring it back to him as a keepsake. I never realized Russian was such a musical culture until I played Clear Sky.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 4:03 PM
-->
Diablo 2 by a mile. By a loooooong mile. All hail Matt Uelmen.

Other good ones: Braid, Super Meat Boy, Guild Wars, UT: GotYE, Torchlight, AOE2, Doom 1 & 2, Empires: Dawn of the Modern World, Oblivion, HL2, Return to CW, Civ 2 & 4, Medieval 1 & 2: TW, SC 1, and I may have forgotten some.

ElvenVeil

Local time
Today 6:03 AM
-->
yaih donkey kong 2 ! :) who would ever say those themes are bad ? =/ mining melancholy (yes I know the names of donkey kong 2 themes ^^) was awesome. or simple tunes like bad bird rag .. Thanks for reminding me of Donkey Kong 2 Stigmata :D

then Minuend picks Tetrix.. hands down guys, that theme is perhaps the most catchy tune ever ..

I am surprised that there are this many chrono cross but not chrono trigger? Frogs theme, at the buttom of the night.. well almost all of them.. Tyranno castle !

Final fantasy has many lovely themes.. I used to play many of them on the piano (: Terra's theme (final fantasy VI) , One winged angle ! (final fantasy VII).. that theme went world wide with it's epic proportions

I am uncertain of what theme to pick.. .. wait no I am not

YouTube - Super Mario Kart Music - Title Theme

Joohanh

Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->
I'm honestly surprised only one mentioned Halo. I think Marty O'Donnel's compositions are the best games have to offer.

Architectonic

Local time
-->
I'm checking out Lennie Moore's full orchestral score for Outcast (1999). Not sure how well it suits the game, but the music is excellent.

Top Bottom