• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Favourite anime

Novacane22

Novacane22
Local time
Today 7:12 AM
-->
This can include series as well as movies (and yes we can count Avatar if you think we really have to)

Local time
Today 5:12 AM
-->
now and then, here and there
belladonna of sadness
tenshi no tamago
nge

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 8:12 AM
-->
Every anime is important,it is not like I have some 2d or 3d thing to judge one anime as batter in most things,it is a journey deciding on a mere 1/1000 second is meaningless.

I will list anime I would consider having masterpiece quilty.
Which is to to me having an awesome interesting unique world that you can feel the personality of it.
HunterXhunter
dragonball(and Z)
death note
one piece
steins gate
parasyte
code geass
yu yu hakusho
full metal alchemist
Mirai Nikki
sword art online(session 1)

Of course there are many I have forgotten or just not ready to admit they are that good because logic.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Series only)
Ghost in the Shell (Film and series)
Cowboy Bebop
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Shin Sekai Yori
Mononoke Hime
Gundam 00 (Series only)
Paprika
Monster
Mushishi
Slayers (Only three original series)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (Film)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Tokyo Godfathers

Similar threads:

Sir Eus Lee

I am wholely flattered you would take about 2 and
Local time
Yesterday 10:12 PM
-->
Avatar the last airbender, of course.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 7:12 PM
-->
berserk
serial experiments lain
escaflowne
gundam wing
azumanga daioh

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:12 AM
-->
Samurai X (the first movie, the rest is trash)
Samurai Champloo
Samurai 7
Princess Mononoke
jin roh
Bleach (up until it gets stupid fullbring -Season 2 is my fav)
DBZ (seasons 1-3)
Chrome Shelled Regios
Basilisk (Wonderful ending)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 6:12 AM
-->
battle angel alita and akira.

i can't get into anime anymore ...
i have recently deleted 50 unwatched anime on my HD.

i used to like anime mainly for the artwork or fantastic worlds.... robot carnival.

these are two of my favorite "wallpapers"

[bimgx=250]http://i.imgur.com/GzsMP4H.jpg[/bimgx]
[bimgx=250]http://i.imgur.com/ZyQ1vbR.jpg[/bimgx]

i would like to see a jean giraud moebius anime.
otomo's Memorîzu has some similarities in style.
that combination of sci fi and mystery.... as in 2001 space odyssee.
and miyazaki is similar in different ways.

i can't have patience with any stories where good fights evil, that don't include some shadow work.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 2:12 PM
-->
I started watching anime during '06 and quit watching around '10.

Began with Naruto I suppose, than branched out to harems, mechs, epics, psychological thrillers, and then slice of life.

From the top of my head + plus:

Naruto
Black Lagoon
Kino's Journey
Monster
Blood+
Hellsing
Gunslinger Girl
Gantz
Serial Experiments Lain
The Twelve Kingdoms
Bakemonogatari
Full Metal Alchemist
Code Geass
Madoka
Ouran High School Host Club
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Air
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Elfen Lied
Death Note
Le Chevalier D'eon
Baccano
Fate Stay Night
Honey and Clover
Steins;Gate
Ergo Proxy
Gankutsuou
NaNa
Paranoia Agent
Lucky Star

Anime shorts:
Karas
FLCL
Now and Then, Here and Now
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Jing: The King of Bandits

I'd say Honey and Clover, Gankutsuou, Ergo Proxy are my favorites. I think they stand the test of time. Baccano, Haruhi and Gantz (manga) get shoutouts too.

Local time
-->
is ergo proxy worth watching?
i remember dropping it half-way through years ago because it got too frustrating. the impression i got was that it was trying hard to be complex and convoluted but ends up being not much more than gimmicky "experimental"(only at face value) pretentious wank
that was years ago though and i never found out how it ends, so...does it pick up from where i stopped or should i not bother?

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
@zerkalo

It's worth watching. There's an existential element that's fun to see play out. It's an interesting mix of romance/duality and existential philosophy, to simply put.

This is interesting though, the narrative of 'pretense' continues. Ergo Proxy does have Paranoid Android as its ending, a Radiohead song.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Ergo proxy is pretentious and misleading at first, then the plot gets realistic albeit disappointing and typical.

They introduced mystery to have the show with a unique style, a touch of dystopia and they failed to remain creative with their ending/overall narration.

It's better than your run of the mill show, but nothing special imo. Very vague and drawn out, the most polished aspect being its style, or the mood it manages to set.

Financially I predict it was a disaster, they will probably break even many years after its release as is the case with one-season discontinued/artsy experiments in the business model.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
I wouldnt be surprised if it was a financial failure. The last bit requires some understanding in historical philosophy iirc. The three statues etc

Rualani

You Silly Willy
Local time
-->
Death Note, Evangelion, and Full Metal Alchemist are the top contenders.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I wouldnt be surprised if it was a financial failure. The last bit requires some understanding in historical philosophy iirc. The three statues etc
You mean the four statues symbolising famous philosophers? Don't make me laugh. I guess any deeper reference hurts the sales. A scriptwriter must've found this tribute amusing, something to cheer them up in this gloomy, witless business.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
You mean the four statues symbolising famous philosophers? Don't make me laugh. I guess any deeper reference hurts the sales. A scriptwriter must've found this tribute amusing, something to cheer them up in this gloomy, witless business.

Well western tv networks picked it up so I assume there was some commercial success. I'm betting the subs are cringe worthy as usual. The dialogue scenes with the philosophers were a nice meta touch, an approach which I thought was well integrated.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Western market is a negligible profit opportunity, they only get some licensing fees for each episode and sometimes release a DVD/Bluray. Most of the $ is made during TV airings in Japan and DVD/Merchandise releases. I wonder why some anime studios didn't try to get more profit in the western part, maybe the fandom is too small or unreliable there to launch a media company or strike better deals.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
-->
Psycho pass 2
Elfen lied
Gunslinger girls
Btoom
Noir
Jingoku shoujo(hell girl)
Ginga eiyuu densetsu(legend of the galactic heroes)
Fate zero
Ghost in the shell
and a special mention to SAO for introducing me to the concept of VR

Local time
-->
Ergo proxy is pretentious and misleading at first, then the plot gets realistic albeit disappointing and typical.

They introduced mystery to have the show with a unique style, a touch of dystopia and they failed to remain creative with their ending/overall narration.

It's better than your run of the mill show, but nothing special imo. Very vague and drawn out, the most polished aspect being its style, or the mood it manages to set.

Financially I predict it was a disaster, they will probably break even many years after its release as is the case with one-season discontinued/artsy experiments in the business model.

its the misleading quality of the show that makes it, and others like it, a failure

it pretends to be up there with the more avante garde works and so attracts the kind of audience to whom the experimental appeals, but then shies away from its own potential and avoids going crazy. the result is that it alienates both shounen and seinen viewers as it sort of just straddles between the two

edit: urrm maybe shounen and seinen are not the correct choices of words here, as they imply age demographic. in this context im referring to the type of manga(and by extension, anime) that is serialized under either "demographic" title magazines, not implying that people in the same age groups would be attracted to the same things

Last edited:

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:12 PM
-->
Tenchi Muyo!
Sailor Moon
Outlaw Star
Armitage III Poly-Matrix

Digimon_Digital_Monsters_Season_1_DVD_Cover.png

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
There is an anime that has not been mentioned that I am in the middle of watching.

Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin. Its a fascinating anime that is a fantasy work that subtly works in sci-fi and other otherworldly ideas. I'd recommend watching it, but if you're an anime fan, no doubt you have already either watched it or heard about it to some extent.

I'm on episode 18 I think out of the 24 episode series. They are currently making a new season last time I checked.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
-->
There is an anime that has not been mentioned that I am in the middle of watching.

Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin. Its a fascinating anime that is a fantasy work that subtly works in sci-fi and other otherworldly ideas. I'd recommend watching it, but if you're an anime fan, no doubt you have already either watched it or heard about it to some extent.

I'm on episode 18 I think out of the 24 episode series. They are currently making a new season last time I checked.

lol, I have a couple friends who are deep into the world of anime and they hate Attack on Titan. My roommate likes it though. The anime friends point to this as one example of my roommate's poor taste in anime (that and his enjoyment of SAO's second season are their two biggest complaints).

I don't know if it's as bad as they say, as I haven't watched it, but it's not something that interests me.

Does it bother anyone else that Tai never fucking wears his goggles?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
lol, I have a couple friends who are deep into the world of anime and they hate Attack on Titan. My roommate likes it though. The anime friends point to this as one example of my roommate's poor taste in anime (that and his enjoyment of SAO's second season are their two biggest complaints).

I don't know if it's as bad as they say, as I haven't watched it, but it's not something that interests me.

I heard the opposite. Funny how that works isn't it.

What is their critique for the anime?

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
I heard the opposite. Funny how that works isn't it.

What is their critique for the anime?

I'm not entirely sure of all their complaints. I tend to tune out a bit when they get all up their own asses with their "top-teir taste" but I think a pretty big part of it is a lack of character development. Or at least a lack of significant development, I guess. I dunno, that's just the bit I hear most when I hear them talking shit about it.

From what little I've seen of it, it seems to me like a "high school-ish aged kids join a special program/organization (a hogwarts, if you will) to train their special powers and defeat a supernatural evil" which really doesn't appeal to me. A lot of those kinds of stories just feel like sloppily-done childhood wish fulfillment.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I'm not entirely sure of all their complaints. I tend to tune out a bit when they get all up their own asses with their "top-teir taste" but I think a pretty big part of it is a lack of character development. Or at least a lack of significant development, I guess. I dunno, that's just the bit I hear most when I hear them talking shit about it.

From what little I've seen of it, it seems to me like a "high school-ish aged kids join a special program/organization (a hogwarts, if you will) to train their special powers and defeat a supernatural evil" which really doesn't appeal to me. A lot of those kinds of stories just feel like sloppily-done childhood wish fulfillment.

I'm not really a chooser elitist what can I say? I like it, it has good action, a nice twist that you get to at about the episode 14 mark I think that needs to be discovered. I like it because its not utterly predictable like some animes.

As for the characters, I looked into that video series you posted on how 'The Phantom Menace' is a terrible move. If I can compare the characters in that movie to this anime, it is objectively night and day. Characters have clear roles they are playing and have their own individual identities. If I'm totally honest, I think the fact that your friends saying they don't like the characters is one thing and another completely to say they do not develop. From what I understand the characters are very much consistent to their personalities, and that is one thing I really like about this anime.

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
a nice twist that you get to at about the episode 14 mark I think that needs to be discovered. I like it because its not utterly predictable like some animes.

Is the twist that...
the Titans used to be humans? Or were created by the humans? Or something like that?
If it is then I don't think you get to say that it isn't utterly predictable.

And yeah, I couldn't tell you exactly why they dislike it. I haven't followed any of the show's arc, so I know very little about it. I think they just look down on most shonen stuff in general, too. Like a lot of SAO (to be fair, though, I think SAO should've ended after its 14th or so episode (I think it's the 14th. Whichever one it is when he wakes up in the hospital. Alfheim was cringey and I haven't bothered to watch the Gun Game season)) or Naruto and all that jazz.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Is the twist that...
the Titans used to be humans? Or were created by the humans? Or something like that?
If it is then I don't think you get to say that it isn't utterly predictable.

And yeah, I couldn't tell you exactly why they dislike it. I haven't followed any of the show's arc, so I know very little about it. I think they just look down on most shonen stuff in general, too. Like a lot of SAO (to be fair, though, I think SAO should've ended after its 14th or so episode (I think it's the 14th. Whichever one it is when he wakes up in the hospital. Alfheim was cringey and I haven't bothered to watch the Gun Game season)) or Naruto and all that jazz.

So far all I've seen of the twist is that it takes a way more personal touch than that. I haven't seen or heard of anything about SAO.

All I know is that Attack on Titan was supposed to be a one season anime, but people loved it so much that they are making another one because Death Note only had one season and it was made by the same people even though I have been stuck on like episode 18 of AOT for a few months.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Dragon Ball Z (by the way, has anyone been keeping up with Dragon Ball S?), One Piece (manga preferred...), general stuff along these lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-uKIw1rJs

Not really big on a lot of stuff these days. Too much shelled out Netflix anime with storylines so normal you would think boring is an inherent quality of the culture imbued by Japan's loss during WWII for the purposes of diluting inquisitive minds' faculties and attempts at being a more wholesome and open minded individual, hoping to pick up bits and pieces of knowledge through the animated arts so as to impress party guests in the most quick and gratuitous way possible. There are still a few classics I aim to watch soon.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
So far all I've seen of the twist is that it takes a way more personal touch than that. I haven't seen or heard of anything about SAO.

All I know is that Attack on Titan was supposed to be a one season anime, but people loved it so much that they are making another one because Death Note only had one season and it was made by the same people even though I have been stuck on like episode 18 of AOT for a few months.

If I could just throw in my two cents on the matter, I was initially resistant to get aboard the AoT hype train and watched the first episode but was not impressed. Months later, after continually hearing about how well it is done, I gave it another chance and Netflix binged it in two days. I was, intrigued and will give it that much. It holds out long enough to keep you interested and I did not really see the twist coming. The drama keeps on you on the edge. However, it is probably too popular and accessible to be truly great nowadays. People just watch it so they can say they are up to date on their anime. Although after I finished season one I wanted to read the manga for lack of patience in waiting for season two to arrive and have known a few people who have done such... So, I can understand both sides of the argument. Would not say that AoT is one of my favorites though but the mainstream appeal is easily identifiable. Would only watch if bored and there's literally nothing else to waste time on. Should check out Terraformars if you want to see a rushed AoT in space. AoT seems to have better production value.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 6:12 PM
-->
Requiem from the Darkness. The art is amazingly simple.

Dalyth

small.
Local time
Today 1:12 AM
-->
Currently: Psychopass.

Others: Monster, Death Note, Hell Girl, Full Metal Alchemist, Another, Serial Experiments Lain, Kino's Journey, Mushi Shi, Avatar the Last Airbender, etc:cthulhu:

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
-->
I utterly forgot about Kino's journey, I only watched a few episodes as a child but I remember them being epic.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Spice & Wolf
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure (I’m currently watching this one. It’s crazy and everything is named after classic rock stuff I love it)

travelnjones

Local time
-->
I hate anime but I just saw an episode of love death and robots that was great. Zima Blue is the episode title its only 15 minutes or so. I wont ruin it with details.

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Most Miyazaki films (especially Spirited Away, Cat Returns, and Castle in the Sky though). I'm also an edgy teenager, so Neon Genesis Evangelion as far as series go. Series>End of Evangelion, but the movie was... alright. Although, not the ending I was hoping for (Rei>>>>>>Asuka).

Rolling Cattle

no backbone
Local time
-->
Aku no Hana (The Flowers of Evil) is intriguing as the story progresses.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:42 PM
-->
Attack on Titan is a favourite of mine.

Each titan is a titanic cannibalistic down syndrome elemental. It can't be reasoned with, and it takes a child-like delight in taking you apart. Most of the characters are believably traumatised by what they witness. While technically it's a shonin, it kind of feels like a variant on the good aspects of the walking dead as an ongoing horror.

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Oh, yeah. I liked the anime movie Wolf Children.

lightfire

Local time
-->
Someone is trying to get me to watch Avatar the Last Airbender.

Jarlos

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Full Metal Alchemist was last series I completed.

Ergo Proxy reminds me of this forum though I didn’t watch every episode.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
-->
The one with the big titters.

Full Metal Alchemist was last series I completed.

Ergo Proxy reminds me of this forum though I didn’t watch every episode.

This is exactly how I picture the people here, how strange.
Where did you go Jarlos? You left with such a strange parallel perspective.

fishhead

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:12 PM
-->
Beastars is great, the manga is cool too

Top Bottom