• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Favorite Car

R3TR0

ESFJ(or perhaps maybe just an damaged and insecure
Local time
Yesterday 10:09 PM
-->
As a life-long car enthusiast, I consider a car to be both a work of art and a canvas. It can be bought, driven and enjoyed the way it sits in stock condition or can be cut up and repainted. It can co-star in a movie or T.V. show, it can be built up for racing. It could even be left to deteriorate for decades; where it would inspire urban art: like a drawing, painting or a stylistic photo. So what is your current favorite model car(custom one offs excluded)and why? What feelings does it evoke? What specifically draws you to it? Is it the body lines, interior, handling, speed capabilities or sound. Is it the affordability, feel, practicality, build potential, sentiment, or obscurity?
My favorite car is the 1978 Camaro Z28 for multiple reasons:
1. It's the only year they made the second generation camaro that came with "endura" rubber bumpers and a rounded dash.
2. Most of them came with a Chevy 350. The Chevy 350 is the best selling engine of all time because of how reliable and mod-able it is; the engine practically started American hotrodding.
3. It's a car I have a lot of history with. When I was 3, I found a Hot Wheels representation of it in a box in the garage. Out of the hundreds of Hot Wheels cars I collected as a kid; it always remained my favorite(despite the fact that due to a jammed axle; the back wheels didn't even roll) The car shares the same f body style of the Pontiac Trans Ams that littered the highly inappropriate Burt Reynolds movies I watched over and over at age 5; The Cannonball Run/I] Smokey and the Bandit Hooper /I] Smokey and the Bandit II/I] I was 13, my brother was looking for a cheap car and he found and showed me a blue and black two-tone 78' Camaro RS sitting in the auction section of a used car lot. I hoped and prayed he would buy it; I thought it was the prettiest car I had ever seen in real life, up close. My dad said it was junky as hell. Sadly, it sold before he could had the money to buy it. When I was 14, my good friend's neighbor had one rotting away in his yard.
5. It's one of the few desireable muscle cars that didn't come with a boxy, simple design. Instead, it featured an aerodynamic design that still maintained an aggressive and classic look; unlike other aerodynamic cars of the 70's that have been commonly considered ugly for decades.
6. If I had one, it would send the message loud and clear that I'm a piece of white trash(especially after I cam it).
7. I have many ideas for what I could do to it to make different from the rest.
8. It reminds me of Custom 1977 Camaro Mode Bumble Bee, from the reasonably hated movie that I loved as a 9 year old kid(I mean come on, it was like small soldiers, but with sexy cars that turned into giant robots)
9. Unlike every other classic muscle car, they're still relativley affordable; ranging from $3000 to $15000 depending on the condition it's in.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 1:09 PM
-->
At the moment my favorite car is a van. I used to really like cars until I got a motorcycle. I have no reason to be interested in non-utility vehicles anymore since my bike is faster cheaper and more practical. (in my situation due to lane filtering being legal)

That said.

paganif1.jpg

It looks amazing.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 5:09 PM
-->
imo, nothing beats taking a lightweight four-cylinder car and re-engineering the engine for a high-powered turbo. But I guess buying cars can be fun, if you have a lot of money. I think if I ever bought a sports car, I'd go for one of the 60s Mustang Shelbys or a Porsche 911 GT3 or a Tesla. But those are all pretty expensive.

I guess if I had to go cheap and I wasn't going to rebuild it, I'd buy something at an auction, probably a pre-70s corvette or mustang. A lot of the late 60s Corvettes look pretty cool and have a decent amount of power and as long as the car was built in the 60s, they shouldn't have all the environmental-friendly requirements that hamper the horsepower and simplicity of the car.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 4:09 PM
-->
b28e60de4e08015e5dacfe6f93acc219.jpg
My ideal car would look something like that, big enough to stand up in, electric, self driving, leather couch seating, little one-way windows to peep out of.

Basically a luxury APC that wouldn't look out of place on the set of Blade Runner.

Until I can get that I don't car about cars.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:09 AM
-->
If someone gifted me a Tesla Model S I'd probably consider keeping it at least for a while to see how viable it is and what's the real maintenance involved, every other expensive car I'd sell instantly.

Cars are only good for utility so around 200 km/h cruise for motorway inter-city use and fuel economy for metro traffic.
Cars with these kinds of specs cost under 10k USD here and anything not marginally beyond that I'd see as ostensible luxury and overkill.

R3TR0

Local time
-->
b28e60de4e08015e5dacfe6f93acc219.jpg
My ideal car would look something like that, big enough to stand up in, electric, self driving, leather couch seating, little one-way windows to peep out of.

Basically a luxury APC that wouldn't look out of place on the set of Blade Runner.

Until I can get that I don't car about cars.

Looks to me like the car you like is a chopped up early 40's Ford.
As far as the ideas you had for it; I found them to be very interesting, nothing I would have expected to hear, but cool none the less. Preciate' the post.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 5:09 AM
-->
I share cogs aesthetics and priorities.

Exaggerated design/style/personal attitude combined with minimalist approach to details and hidden but excellent technology. Integrating the greatest span of opposites like functionality and simplicity, alien futurism and organic familiarity.

I can't even afford to implement these priorities into my cruiser bike.

Meanwhile my favorite car is this matchbox car that greatly enhances my workplace.
[BIMG]https://i.imgur.com/OXDoYtB.jpg[/BIMG]

R3TR0

Local time
-->
imo, nothing beats taking a lightweight four-cylinder car and re-engineering the engine for a high-powered turbo. But I guess buying cars can be fun, if you have a lot of money. I think if I ever bought a sports car, I'd go for one of the 60s Mustang Shelbys or a Porsche 911 GT3 or a Tesla. But those are all pretty expensive.

I guess if I had to go cheap and I wasn't going to rebuild it, I'd buy something at an auction, probably a pre-70s corvette or mustang. A lot of the late 60s Corvettes look pretty cool and have a decent amount of power and as long as the car was built in the 60s, they shouldn't have all the environmental-friendly requirements that hamper the horsepower and simplicity of the car.

Can't go wrong with an American Icon. Those are great cars to look for at auctions; especaily if it's an older restoration. Many 60's Corvettes and Mustangs have been restored, creampuffed and a lot were produced to begin with; so they don't have that collectible wow factor that would make them impossible to own.

R3TR0

Local time
-->
I share cogs aesthetics and priorities.

Exaggerated design/style/personal attitude combined with minimalist approach to details and hidden but excellent technology. Integrating the greatest span of opposites like functionality and simplicity, alien futurism and organic familiarity.

I can't even afford to implement these priorities into my cruiser bike.

Kinda in the same boat, I would want a bunch of pro-touring style subtle details on my dream car. I'm currently in high school; if I'm lucky ill get my Dad's faded, beat up Ford Edge in a couple months. I have a cruiser bike myself, I might take a gamble on a made in china eBay 80cc 2-Stroke Motor Engine Kit (which being over 50cc's; it wouldn't be street legal, but I doubt American cops would be smart enough to figure that out)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I have already had my favorite car until some idiot totalled it.

It was a SAAB 9000 Aero. Wonderful car.

q3LBhu1.jpg

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
-->
I'm currently working towards buying a Dodge Viper. Although inspired by the original Shelby Cobra, the Dodge Viper is unique car in the sports car world, especially today. Several Vipers have set production car track records around the world, some of which stand today. Loud, curvaceous, widest tire print on the market. I first saw this car as a kid in 1996 and have been very deeply in love ever since. You can stare at it for hours and have the time of your life...except if you're determined to buy one like me; then its like wanting sex with a chastity belt on and the key costs $100K. There are two variants that I must own as soon as possible.

1997 Blue and white stripe GTS. 8.0 Liter V10 engine, 450 HP. 0-60 in 4.0 seconds.

2013 Stryker Red GTS with hyper black rims. 8.4 Liter V10, 645 HP. 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. This variant is rare and the most beautiful car in the world to me. My fiancée jokes around with me and calls it my mistress that I would go have fun weekends with behind her back. I don't think relationship betrayal is funny but she is not wrong about the latter....the first thing I will do with the car, especially living in Texas now, is take a 10 day road trip across a specific region of America. Probably Southwest to Northwest.

I'm having a hard time even writing about this. I flew to Canada (2 years ago now) specifically to test drive the 2013 car, as I informed the dealership that I was interested and they invited me out. I got to drive it around Montreal, which is a city I had always wanted to go to but had never been until that weekend. It was at the same time an intensely, joyously memorable experience and a very depressing one. There was another buyer at the same time interested in that car. I've been in school for astrophysics for the last 5-6 years so I didn't have even the money for a down payment though I would try almost anything to get it. I left the dealership and went back to my hotel room downtown and laid on the bed (yes in the fetal position), totally devastated because there was nothing I could do to stop the buyer who actually had the money from getting the car. I remember I had dressed nice that weekend and people actually thought I came from money, especially the dealership who treated me very well, much better than any experience I've ever had with car dealerships in the U.S. But I needed the actual money to do something about it.

The '13 car costs 135K. I'm in the middle of grad school right now so my grad school salary won't pay for it but I've been working on other means to acquire it. The '97 GTS is much less expensive at around 40K (as of now) so I plan to buy them both at the same time. I've had a stock trading account for a few years now and plan to develop a strategy so that I can grow a lump sum of money, that I'll put into good long term investments. That's the best I've got right now.

R3TR0

Local time
-->
I have already had my favorite car until some idiot totalled it.

It was a SAAB 9000 Aero. Wonderful car.

q3LBhu1.jpg

That sucks, Saabs are the only modern 4 door cars I enjoy seeing. It’s a shame they’re becoming such a rarity.

Last edited:

R3TR0

Local time
-->
I'm currently working towards buying a Dodge Viper. Although inspired by the original Shelby Cobra, the Dodge Viper is unique car in the sports car world, especially today. Several Vipers have set production car track records around the world, some of which stand today. Loud, curvaceous, widest tire print on the market. I first saw this car as a kid in 1996 and have been very deeply in love ever since. You can stare at it for hours and have the time of your life...except if you're determined to buy one like me; then its like wanting sex with a chastity belt on and the key costs $100K. There are two variants that I must own as soon as possible.

1997 Blue and white stripe GTS. 8.0 Liter V10 engine, 450 HP. 0-60 in 4.0 seconds.

2013 Stryker Red GTS with hyper black rims. 8.4 Liter V10, 645 HP. 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. This variant is rare and the most beautiful car in the world to me. My fiancée jokes around with me and calls it my mistress that I would go have fun weekends with behind her back. I don't think relationship betrayal is funny but she is not wrong about the latter....the first thing I will do with the car, especially living in Texas now, is take a 10 day road trip across a specific region of America. Probably Southwest to Northwest.

I'm having a hard time even writing about this. I flew to Canada (2 years ago now) specifically to test drive the 2013 car, as I informed the dealership that I was interested and they invited me out. I got to drive it around Montreal, which is a city I had always wanted to go to but had never been until that weekend. It was at the same time an intensely, joyously memorable experience and a very depressing one. There was another buyer at the same time interested in that car. I've been in school for astrophysics for the last 5-6 years so I didn't have even the money for a down payment though I would try almost anything to get it. I left the dealership and went back to my hotel room downtown and laid on the bed (yes in the fetal position), totally devastated because there was nothing I could do to stop the buyer who actually had the money from getting the car. I remember I had dressed nice that weekend and people actually thought I came from money, especially the dealership who treated me very well, much better than any experience I've ever had with car dealerships in the U.S. But I needed the actual money to do something about it.

The '13 car costs 135K. I'm in the middle of grad school right now so my grad school salary won't pay for it but I've been working on other means to acquire it. The '97 GTS is much less expensive at around 40K (as of now) so I plan to buy them both at the same time. I've had a stock trading account for a few years now and plan to develop a strategy so that I can grow a lump sum of money, that I'll put into good long term investments. That's the best I've got right now.

"yes in the fetal position" lmao As a kid I never really liked the 97' vipers they were sort of outdated, the mid 2000s ones were and still are blah, but I'm really digging the SRT redesign, and I don't really like most modern cars. Anyways, a 97' is a good car to get; from all the appearances it made on N64 video games(which I like to collect), I would say in just 10 years it will probably be a highly sought after classic. In my opinion, the car represents the best of 90's desgin; the same way 57' Chevy Bel Air represents the best of 50's design.

R3TR0

Local time
-->
At the moment my favorite car is a van. I used to really like cars until I got a motorcycle. I have no reason to be interested in non-utility vehicles anymore since my bike is faster cheaper and more practical. (in my situation due to lane filtering being legal)

That said.

paganif1.jpg

It looks amazing.

Vans are pretty useful; if you have one you can buy pretty much anything you see for sale, on the spot.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 10:09 AM
-->
I used to like my ratty BMW but nowadays I really love the Corolla.

It's so comfy, rightly sized, very light,parts are cheap, and fuel is cheap because of the CNG tank.

No nonsense electronics. It doesn't even have cruise control.I poke my head out of the drivers door if I am backing up.

Just a little short on power. 1.6 and CNG doesn't make much power.

R3TR0

Local time
-->
I used to like my ratty BMW but nowadays I really love the Corolla.

It's so comfy, rightly sized, very light,parts are cheap, and fuel is cheap because of the CNG tank.

No nonsense electronics. It doesn't even have cruise control.I poke my head out of the drivers door if I am backing up.

Just a little short on power. 1.6 and CNG doesn't make much power.

I had no idea cars could run on natural gas. I know all about hydrogen and biodiesel though. I would like Corollas, most generations of the have decent designs(the 2015 Corolla kinda looks like a 67' Camaro) and low resale prices, but I don't really enjoy driving front wheel drive(which I know the older ones aren't), unless I had the money, time and skill to install 4WS.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Yesterday 8:09 PM
-->
My first car was a nissan xterra. Ugly, topheavy piece of crap that was lucky to get 12 miles to the gallon.

God damn I miss that car.

lucky12

walking on air
Local time
Yesterday 11:09 PM
-->
70s challenger, like in vanishing point. That movie resonated with my soul and that car is a skookum choocher.

R3TR0

Local time
-->

As far as the whole 13' unicorn situation goes, I understand you can't get one know, but in case you can't find one when you do; do you know anything about the CarMax website? You can search their whole inventory and if you find a car you want in another state they can ship it your local dealership, and you wouldn't even have to by it first. How do I know this borderline useless information? My dad worked a CarMax for a year. Also local options I am somehow aware of already include http://www.vernonautogroup.com and https://texasdirectauto.com those places are practically the biggest dealerships in the country and they buy all sorts of high-end pre-owned cars.

R3TR0

Local time
-->
My first car was a nissan xterra. Ugly, topheavy piece of crap that was lucky to get 12 miles to the gallon.

God damn I miss that car.

My dad had to drive that car for a year thanks to the joys of bankrupcy, he HATED it, faded bright red, ride was TERRIBLE and the driver seat window motor gave out after one month. All things considered, I could see myself getting one, I think it would make a great off road vehicle, if you drove it off a cliff.

Top Bottom