• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

f.lux

Moocow

Semantic Nitpicker
Local time
Yesterday 8:12 PM
-->
Since I know most or all of us here spend the overwhelming majority of our time in front of computer screens, particularly at night, I am recommending an incredibly simple and useful program:

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Basically, it reduces the blue spectrum on your monitor later in the evening then turns it back up during the day. Blue light suppresses melatonin production, making bright computer monitors fairly effective at keeping us awake longer.

I've been sleeping better since I started using it and my eyes feel better. By using this and another small program like this to lower the monitor brightness at night, I immediately began noticing less eye strain and more natural sleepiness at night.
I would like to know the extent to which this helps many of the self-proclaimed insomniacs here. We have rather bizarre lifestyles now in the context of human history and I often find just how many problems like insomnia are caused by unnatural lighting, sound, and so on.

There is a program called Naturescapes for iphone that has holophonic and continuous natural soundscapes which are very relaxing and can serve a similar purpose, to aid in concentration and stress relief. I suspect the usual humming of fans and lights, roaring engines, and music are not healthy in the doses we get of them.
I'm inspired to put together a list of little changes to the daily atmosphere of a bedroom or office that will improve mental health and f.lux is the most effective asset so far. Any ideas?

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Yesterday 6:12 PM
-->
Get a plant. Helps purify the air. Can be the only other living thing for kilometers, but does not annoy, which is quite pleasant.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 6:12 PM
-->
I use it, has a few bugs but is quite nice as I work early in the morning.

There are some other ones that have similar functionality, like night vision (black and red). This one is easier on the eyes.

Intellect

Local time
Today 1:12 AM
-->
I've been using flux for a while now. Definitely helps when I'm up late and posted in front of the computer until I turn in for the night.

I'm inspired to put together a list of little changes to the daily atmosphere of a bedroom or office that will improve mental health and f.lux is the most effective asset so far. Any ideas?

Plants are a good idea. I also like to sleep in pitch black, with basically no light or sound in the room. I've noticed that my sleep seems deeper and more effective when I do this. Always wake up feeling very refreshed.

Moocow

Semantic Nitpicker
Local time
Yesterday 8:12 PM
-->
Get a plant. Helps purify the air. Can be the only other living thing for kilometers, but does not annoy, which is quite pleasant.

Well it does if it's infested with these tiny little white flies, as most of my plants seem to be. Also, this isn't the most brightly lit room, but maybe the monitor glow will do the job.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 5:12 PM
-->
I would like to know the extent to which this helps many of the self-proclaimed insomniacs here. We have rather bizarre lifestyles now in the context of human history and I often find just how many problems like insomnia are caused by unnatural lighting, sound, and so on.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Though I solved my insomnia (I think) by sleeping in total silence and total darkness. I had a habit of watching television before sleeping, but I don't watch it as much anymore and it seems to have been the problem. I still tend to stay up late, but it's more or less willful.

H1N1

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 5:12 PM
-->
Well it does if it's infested with these tiny little white flies, as most of my plants seem to be. Also, this isn't the most brightly lit room, but maybe the monitor glow will do the job.

Just get some sort of shade plant. Such as a fern.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 8:12 AM
-->
Nice rosy glow I've got now.

Great app! Glad it's available for Linux.

Top Bottom