• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Expressing yourself

Hayyel

Local time
Today 10:44 AM
-->
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, I really don't want any trouble :-)

A couple of days ago my aunt contacted me on the phone, and asked me if I could help out a little girl with something for school. I told her that I would try, but I can't promise anything, especially since she didn't know what the problem was, so I couldn't look into it.

Since there are about 10 years between the girl and me, i also had my doubts about it... my school years were long gone,.

Anyway, when I got there I had to check out her book to see what it was about, and after a few minutes of reading I realized that i actually know the topic quite well. It was all very logical in my mind.

But then, when it came to explaining it to her, it was very awkward, a few times I even managed to confuse myself. In the end we did some exercizes, until she seemed to at least have a clue.

So what I want to know is howcome we make fools of ourself all the time when it comes to talking?

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 7:44 PM
-->
Well if you know the ropes you really just need practice... Basically talk as much as you can and explain stuff to people. We don't intuitivy talk at the same pace that we think so we need to force ourselves to get used to thinking and talking at the same time.

Hayyel

Local time
Today 10:44 AM
-->
Yes, but why? Why can't we say what is on our minds instantly? It makes other people think thaat you are a bit... slow or something. I'm guessing we generally like to search for the right words, but we are also pressured into doing it quickly so we don't look too stupid, and in the end we DO end up looking stupid. I guess I was just wondering about this delay. I'm not a perfectionist or something and I rarely ever use any "big" words -I admit, this forum sometimes confuses me, because I don't understand what people are talking about-, so it is safe to say that I should be able to put two words together.

spongetatle

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:44 AM
-->
I can be horrible at thinking of the words I wish to say to other people especially when I get nervous. I tend to stutter, mistakenly say the wrong word and have to correct myself or constantly have to backtrack to fill in details I failed to mention. My advice for you would be to have her do the exercises while you think of how you should explain it to her. I've found I can practically eliminate speech issues if I am not forced into spontaneous conversation. Another idea would be to tutor her over the computer.

Top Bottom