• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Everything CT

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 12:50 AM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
I've been trying to catch up on all the previous comments but forgive me if this has already been addressed (on this thread or another on the forum) and I've missed it:

What makes the study of personality type like this so important to us? What is the benefit of this type of information? Most of the psychologists I know aren't very interested in personality types.

it just makes u feel u are cooler than other people just because u are a certain type
when in reality u should be making money or developing your skills and giving stuff to the world.
yeah, it's just an entertainment for weak people.
at least in most of the cases.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
U need meaningful experiences to develop yourself.
At least that's the only thing that I have noticed that works.
I changed so much from when I was 22 to now 27. A world. A totally different person.
That came from living with strangers, being part of a foreigner community and doing tons of stuff in other countries.
If you can do it. Don't think twice, go abroad.

Agreed, but between working full time, studying part time and having a young family, I don't get much time to explore alternatives. It's a case of having to buckle in and shut up, really; the problem I foresee is that by the time I emerge from this phase of life, I'll likely be pushing 40.

Too late in the day, then.

Crystabelle

Local time
Yesterday 6:50 PM
-->
Agreed, but between working full time, studying part time and having a young family, I don't get much time to explore alternatives. It's a case of having to buckle in and shut up, really; the problem I foresee is that by the time I emerge from this phase of life, I'll likely be pushing 40.

Too late in the day, then.

You don't consider developing your career, achieving a degree/learning, growing a family/investing in human capital of the future meaningful experiences? What would you classify them as? And what are the "meaningful" experiences you feel you're lacking?

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
At heart, I'm a big soppy INFP. I just want to travel the world, take photos of cool shit and billow about on the winds of my mind. Hazy; disconnected.

TL;DR - a good holiday is long overdue.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
Yesterday 4:50 PM
-->
What makes the study of personality types like this so important to us? What is the benefit of this type of information? Most of the psychologists I know aren't very interested in personality types.
Most personality models are heuristics that help us explain humanity to ourselves better than having "no" frame of conversation for a topic that's quite pervasive in our daily lives.

A lexicon of human traits is helpful in organizing our perceptions and differences between others -- and humans are very much drawn to information organization structures. Makes us feel more in control. More safe and like we know the world more.

As for CT it's actually not built as a heuristic from the start...
It's a research project and there's a lot of data gathering/sorting. Chasing the information to see what it reveals. That's why it hasn't yet reached an "application" phase or a "how is this useful to me" phase.

That will come once we've properly indexed the full range of human expression and how it relates to psychology.

Crystabelle

Local time
-->
As for CT it's actually not built as a heuristic from the start...
It's a research project and there's a lot of data gathering/sorting. Chasing the information to see what it reveals. That's why it hasn't yet reached an "application" phase or a "how is this useful to me" phase.

That will come once we've properly indexed the full range of human expression and how it relates to psychology.

Makes sense. I'm intrigued.

Sorry if you already mentioned this but what organization are you a part of that's doing this research?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Auburn, I saw where Dr. Peterson gave his factor five. I believe you simplified his type into representing that he is an ENFJ falsely.

Crystabelle

Local time
-->
Auburn, I saw where Dr. Peterson gave his factor five. I believe you simplified his type into representing that he is an ENFJ falsely.

I've been watching several of his videos. One remark he made really stood out where he said he hated it when he and his wife would argue and she'd go to bed without resolving it and leave him to stew over it unable to sleep. I'm not an expert in typing but that's exactly how I handle conflict with my husband (who is INTP and retreats & goes to bed). It FEELS horrible to have things unresolved. I don't mean to over simplify based on this one example but that seemed a rather E & F trait to me. No?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I've been watching several of his videos. One remark he made really stood out where he said he hated it when he and his wife would argue and she'd go to bed without resolving it and leave him to stew over it unable to sleep. I'm not an expert in typing but that's exactly how I handle conflict with my husband (who is INTP and retreats & goes to bed). It FEELS horrible to have things unresolved. I don't mean to over simplify based on this one example but that seemed a rather E & F trait to me. No?

He said he was high in extroversion mostly because of assertiveness and that he was more agreeable than the average man, not that he was necessarily agreeable.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
Yesterday 4:50 PM
-->

hmm...
this is the video i saw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v76nSSGpACo

i dont technically mean he's "ENFJ" as i naturally don't use mbti, but i think that would be the appropriate parallel if one had to be drawn.

Top Bottom