• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Earth Day

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
Yesterday 9:31 PM
-->
Anyone do anything special?Because I know all the tye dye wearing preps at my school did their part to save the environment by wishing each other a happy earth day.

alierae

Local time
-->
I declared that I would begin recycling. Today, after school, I went to the store and bought containers to sort the paper, plastic and aluminum cans. YAY!!

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
So the ESFJs of the world are happy. Doesn't mean I should give a damn. I'm no politician.

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
Today 2:31 AM
-->
'Earth Day'? Never heard of it. But then again, isn't the whole earth day idea completely ridiculous? Let's devote one day a year to earth! Let us all be environmentally friendly on that day...
Blah blah blah.

There's nothing wrong with tye dye, but if you don't use it correctly, ie to STOP yourself becoming a friggin' prep, you're selling your soul to Astgfl.

Astgfl; the most organised devil ever. Read 'Eric'. Instead of fire and brimstone, he reads people health and safety regulations.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Yesterday 6:31 PM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Yes they do. They give most people the impression that meaningful change has occurred, and so they happily become complacent. See! Holidays make people happy and complacent!

Exactly what I said. They're nothing but ceremony. They don't make any real changes in the way of saving the earth.

Agapooka

Celui qui pose trop de questions.
Local time
-->
Plz don't stalk me, but my address is 127.0.0.1.
I know of two ways to "save the Earth":

1. Reduce the population drastically.
2. Reduce the standard of living to that of the medieval ages, which will also result in a dramatic loss of life. :P

Other than that, anything that is done is meaningless. The damage to the environment is not being undone, as the only thing being done is a minute reduction in the acceleration of the rate at which we destroy the planet. It's still an acceleration, though. Haha.

CowSavior

White Jesus
Local time
Yesterday 8:31 PM
-->
There's nothing wrong with tye dye, but if you don't use it correctly, ie to STOP yourself becoming a friggin' prep, you're selling your soul to Astgfl.

Astgfl; the most organised devil ever. Read 'Eric'. Instead of fire and brimstone, he reads people health and safety regulations.

Umm... WHAT!?

Aphasia

Local time
Today 9:31 AM
-->
I know of two ways to "save the Earth":

1. Reduce the population drastically.
2. Reduce the standard of living to that of the medieval ages, which will also result in a dramatic loss of life. :P

No. 2 might not work well. As far as I can remember, before the dark/ medieval ages, Europe was heavily forested. But during the medieval ages, almost 90% of Europe's forests were cut down. I can't remember whether the statistics and dates are accurate, but the basic idea is still the same. It's still probably better than leaving things as they are right now. :(

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 2:31 PM
-->
World Overshoot Day

In 2007 October 6 was the day that the human species began living beyond its ecological means. This year humans will consume around 30% more ecological yield (forests, fish, soil etc) than nature can regenerate. The extra 30% is obtained from liquidating the Earth’s biological capital: exactly like a business liquidating capital to maintain income. Overshoot has been called the biggest issue that we’ve never heard of. www.footprintnetwork.org

This passage was written by a man I know and respect very highly. I thought it best to leave it in his words. He has done his homework. He devotes an enormous amount of time to researching and contemplating the ecological realities of our time.

He knows it. I know it. Agapooka, you know it too. The cull is very nearly upon us.

When someone waves a flag and promotes anything as deceiving as Earth Day (as politicians are prone to doing), I feel all the joy of a beast in the abattoir being told to celebrate 'cos it's "cow day".

But I don't think many of us here are deceived by pageantry, as other posts prove, so I'll bundle up my moroseness and shuffle it into a corner somewhere.

Moo.

Agapooka

Celui qui pose trop de questions.
Local time
-->
Plz don't stalk me, but my address is 127.0.0.1.
No. 2 might not work well. As far as I can remember, before the dark/ medieval ages, Europe was heavily forested. But during the medieval ages, almost 90% of Europe's forests were cut down. I can't remember whether the statistics and dates are accurate, but the basic idea is still the same. It's still probably better than leaving things as they are right now. :(

All right, maybe medieval standards of living weren't low enough. :P

In terms of this issue being exploited by politicians, the best word to describe my sentiments thereabout is a the German word selbstverständlich.

I mean, it's just going to become another fear tactic to take peoples' freedoms without actually solving anything. It's not like we have much freedom left anyways. We don't even have the freedom to question our freedom. I do it regardless.

Hey. So, since the world will implode on itself whilst we die of starvation, watching behind the metaphorical bars of the prison of an increasingly global and oppressive government, we might as well... compare the size of our bundles of moroseness and the storage capacity of our respective corners.

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
Today 2:31 AM
-->
I think we can stand to go a good bit further back than the middle ages, but where's the fun? After all, none of this is important, anyway. The word important seems to describe things which are just slightly less trivial; we are, and everything else is, going to die. And since you cannot destroy or create matter, everything stays in perfect balance.

Zakai:
One of the first messages talks about tye-dye-wearing preps. That's my response.

Top Bottom