• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Dreams and the Subconscious

The Lurker

fighting the power
Local time
Today 3:42 PM
-->
Most of my dreams, to my own frustration, I can't fully remember but I know that they're generally attributed to recent events in my life, and occassionally 'jump' from story to story with no cohesion.

The dreams that I do remember occur after waking up from a deep sleep from some external stimuli and falling back asleep again (There is a scientific reason for this that I cannot recall). These often involve not past events but imaginary and 'crazy' scenarios, most in which I lose control of my entire body or my control is compromised (slow walking, cannot talk, etc.).

One particularly weird dream involved me being alone at an old childhood home, taking a knife from the drawer, and, after a few seconds, slitting my own throat . My wound did not bleed or even cause me pain, but I dropped to the floor, unable to move or breathe, but still able to see.

Another dream involved me being at a completely imaginary school, in that it did not resemble any I've ever attended. Without warning, a student drew a large rifle and ordered me and my good friend into the gymnasium, where they were keeping hostages. On the stage were numerous students I knew, all wielding weapons. On the floor were the numerous hostages. Bewildered, I asked my friend if he knew what was going on. He explained that the hostage-takers were part of an organization that sold chairs to the Barack Obama campaign to make money, and now by taking everyone in the school hostage, they could escape to South America and live the rest of their lives with all of their money (apparantly selling chairs is a reprehensible activity). Pretty soon they began executing everyone, and I woke up just before they 'killed' me.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:42 PM
-->
I have dreams where i hear someone play an amazing piano piece, i know i haven't heard it before so my mind must be writing it somehow. I also have had vivid dreams where i see specific designs and posters. I assume i dream this considering i look at a lot of graphics and spend time musing over them.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
I have a lot of surprisingly vivid dreams about significantly violent / disturbing events. About a year ago I had a series of dreams ranging from organized team school shootings at my university, to a mass execution taking place at a mall in Shanghai (wtf). I'm usually there in my dreams, though sometimes I'm not. I recently dreamt about a child labor camp in the desert somewhere in the Middle East, and a sniper situation at a mall near my house. :eek:

Carnap

Local time
Today 10:42 PM
-->
I have been getting vivid dreams again. This one was about my old house, a lot of tragedy took place there, slow, silent tragedy.
The dream was about some kind of war. I know I was an actor in this war. We wanted to get some people out of the house and keep some in. We wanted to keep some of the people in and set fire to the house. Of course, we wanted to save ourselves and the black kittens. It was a desperate attempt to keep the blithering fools in that place so we could set fire to it, and there were dinosaurs all around the house like Jurassic Park.

Segment 2 : A classroom. All the students were imitating mentally challenged people. It was some kind of exercise. Each student (college age) would use a mentally challenged voice to say another student's name, that student would do the same, and so forth. At the end of the exercise, everyone was so proud.

There was more after that, but I now forget.

I posted this on another forum. I think the first part obviously has to do with some old issues, and the second has to maybe do with something I learned lately? Through a mistake? I have no idea !!! Any ideas?

Local time
-->
i never have dreams :(

(i occasionally do, but they are banal days in my life. everything seems realistic, then i wake up, and get really pissed off the good thing i thought never actually happened)

but for the most part, i don't have any. why?

Carnap

Local time
-->
I've got one :

In the bedroom, there was a piece of paper on the wall that said "I've always wanted a Lou à Lou à Lou à Lou" (this is a reference to Lou Salome, the love of Nietzsche's life).
An innocent boy-like man in a white collar shirt was laying in bed next to his wife, they lived like sister and brother. I tried to get in between them. I said "can I be with your brother?"
He looked innocently shocked and said "we can't do that!"
Then, something handed us each a small mirror from which we looked at our sheepish smiles for wanting to do this. The laughter of the devil sounded from in between our to bodies.

My analysis :
I guess my subconscious wants the man I like to have always wanted a woman like me and also hopes that his marriage is dead. What I don't understand is why the devil gave us the mirrors. Mirrors must be about self reflexion. But why did the devil hand them to us and why is he happy about what we see?

Artifice Orisit

You feel ashamed for finding certain men desirable simply because other women want them, the sibling like relationship is your inner justification (not necessarily conscious) that you'd appreciate/enjoy him more than the other women would. The devil (your shadow self) is laughing at you for being subconsciously ashamed of your illogically derived desires. The bit about his prior relationship to a similar woman to you dying is just an indication that you want the ground work for the relationship to already be done for you, for it to be easy for him to understand you.

I have been getting vivid dreams again. This one was about my old house, a lot of tragedy took place there, slow, silent tragedy.
The dream was about some kind of war. I know I was an actor in this war. We wanted to get some people out of the house and keep some in. We wanted to keep some of the people in and set fire to the house. Of course, we wanted to save ourselves and the black kittens. It was a desperate attempt to keep the blithering fools in that place so we could set fire to it, and there were dinosaurs all around the house like Jurassic Park.
Either this was a symbolic way of dealing with bad memories, or if you were having fun shooting dinosaurs and rescuing kittens, just stress relief.

Segment 2 : A classroom. All the students were imitating mentally challenged people. It was some kind of exercise. Each student (college age) would use a mentally challenged voice to say another student's name, that student would do the same, and so forth. At the end of the exercise, everyone was so proud.
Frustration at the stupidity of your peers.

I have a lot of surprisingly vivid dreams about significantly violent / disturbing events. About a year ago I had a series of dreams ranging from organized team school shootings at my university, to a mass execution taking place at a mall in Shanghai (wtf). I'm usually there in my dreams, though sometimes I'm not. I recently dreamt about a child labor camp in the desert somewhere in the Middle East, and a sniper situation at a mall near my house.
Violent dreams just tend to be stress relief (like how some writers write sadistic stories because it makes them feel better) whilst horror/fear dreams tend to be an internal way of dealing with anxiety, the desensitization approach.

I have dreams where i hear someone play an amazing piano piece, i know i haven't heard it before so my mind must be writing it somehow. I also have had vivid dreams where i see specific designs and posters. I assume i dream this considering i look at a lot of graphics and spend time musing over them.
Lucky bastard, creative dreams just mean your doing lots of boring or repetitive stuff during the day and your bored subconscious has decided to entertain itself.

It's been ages since my subconscious last treated me to a concert :(

Carnap

Local time
-->
you guys have music in your dreams too?????? I love that so much.

The best one I had was a two second symphony with wild colors accompanying it. Other times I mostly get stuff with lyrics and music.

Oh and not bad the analysis.

Sometimes when I have vivid dreams I erroneously think they have some kind of mystical origin. Your analysis has brought me back to reality.

Good to be back on the forum after a break.

severus

Local time
Today 1:42 PM
-->
I hardly ever remember my dreams, but the ones I do almost always involve (ex)friends. One kid in particular keeps coming up. Meh.

One of my dreams of this kid was forming a deep bond with hir over a long period of time. I was very disappointed when I awoke to find we still weren't friends.
I wonder what that means!

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 6:42 AM
-->
I dreamt I was holding a can of deodorant. When I tried to press the nozzle it suddenly turned into a serpent's head. Suddenly serpents sprouted all over my body, and several small ones started copulating in my mouth.

At some point the deodorant can changed into a beer. I started drinking (somehow disregarding the horny reptiles in my oral cavity), and the more I drank the more I got the sense that 'I' was simply the amalgamation of the individual serpents. As I finished the beer I heard a child's whimpering. This got louder and louder, becoming a full-fledged scream - at which point I woke up.

Help?

Felan

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I dreamt I was holding a can of deodorant. When I tried to press the nozzle it suddenly turned into a serpent's head. Suddenly serpents sprouted all over my body, and several small ones started copulating in my mouth.

At some point the deodorant can changed into a beer. I started drinking (somehow disregarding the horny reptiles in my oral cavity), and the more I drank the more I got the sense that 'I' was simply the amalgamation of the individual serpents. As I finished the beer I heard a child's whimpering. This got louder and louder, becoming a full-fledged scream - at which point I woke up.

Help?

Copulating snakes in your mouth!?! That's awesome!

I love bizarre dreams.

Artifice Orisit

I'm assuming you don't like snakes, they seem to be symbolising your concept of "vile" and to some degree physical maturity. You subconscious seems to have drawn a correlation between your physical development and some source of trauma or stress. The child is you or your perception of children in general being horrified by what you've becoming and/or have already become. Children don't use deodorant, it also represents an alteration of one's scent into something stronger, something powerfully significant to the brain's more primitive aspects. The snakes coming from the can, yourself and seemingly being multiplied by the presence of alcohol suggest part of you seeing/fearing you being consumed by this vileness, but of course as the dream goes on this part becomes externalised and is trying to stop you.

This may be a stab in the dark, but was there anyone from your childhood that you considered vile or had reason to dislike, because it seems part of you thinks your becoming like that figure and desperately wants to stop it. Another theory is that the source is sexual, that you consider becoming an adult to be a loss of innocence, to put it simply your biology and psychology have gone to war and evidently your biology is winning.

I suggest using a weaker brand of deodorant, stop drinking or drink less and try to avoid feeling ashamed when thinking of sex.
Actually... did you enjoy it?
Because if you did then this nightmare is suddenly so much more interesting :D

One of my dreams of this kid was forming a deep bond with hir over a long period of time. I was very disappointed when I awoke to find we still weren't friends.
I wonder what that means!
A combination of being lonely & regret is most likely.

edit: More dreams please!

Xel

When in the course of inhuman events....
Local time
Today 4:42 PM
-->
I often wonder to what degree do dreams really reveal the subconscious and unconscious. Some times they seem to be more about your own conscious problems. To what degree one exculdes the other is problematic. A dream that seems conscious could really be a a way to make unconscious ideas and desires more palpable, but where do you draw the line?

Last edited:

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
Today 2:42 PM
-->
I had a dream involving snakes last night, too! They weren't sexing it up in my mouth, though. I'm so dull...

I might turn my dream into a short story, though. It was somewhat Hemingway-esque.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Interesting response Cog; thanks.

I was thinking perhaps the serpents represent a problem with honesty? Secrecy, privacy in my mouth. Garden of eden. Etc.

The fragmentation of my consciousness ("the more I drank the more I got the sense that 'I' was simply the amalgamation of the individual serpents") I also found unusual. My identity is a patchwork of lies? The older I get, the more dishonest I become?

I have to think about this more.

hope

Local time
-->
I had a really weird science fiction dream last night. I was aboard some space ship. The ship kept on getting farther and farther away from its destination. For some reason there were these German people that were my contacts and I had just told them my name. They realized I'd wrote some book under a pseudonym. Their facial expressions were a mix of horror and amazement.

severus

Local time
-->
I had an interesting dream last night!

I was going to a new school and my guidance counselor was a large, scary-looking fish. But then, they replaced her with this disgusting, small pink fish that floated on the surface of the water (in a bowl) like it was dead. I was on my deck with a group of indistinct people, and across from us was an underwater cave. The nasty pink fish was going to eat my ex-counselor! So I was going to try and stop it, but the people wouldn't let me. They were trying to convince me that I needed to respect other people's beliefs. It seemed very religious, but I don't remember the details of it. I was trying to convince them that I'm not an evangelical, and that they couldn't just let the pink fish eat the other one!

Then I woke up.

?

I was reading the Do You Take the Bible Literally? thread before I went to sleep....

Deleted member 1424

I had a very interesting and vivid dream last night.

Two well armed men had broken into my house, barricaded the doors and windows, and taken my family, a couple of my friends and Auburn hostage. They made the house a sort of pseudo command center; complete with a huge computer center and automatic self operating sniper rifles(?). For some reason we couldn't escape; even though we could go into the backyard and move about as we wanted. I remember not being ably to figure out if they were terrorists, criminals, or government agents; it seemed to be a very important detail.

The first terrorist/criminal/government agent (TCG) was an extremely angry psychotic individual. When he wasn't flirting with Auburn(I shouldn't have read the Auburn, My love thread) he was threatening or beating people up. He was also the other TCG's superior. The second TCG looked exactly like Wash from Firefly. He wasn't as insane as his boss; but he was still an asshole.

I was extremely afraid for my father. He has over 20 yrs military experience and I thought they would kill him because he was threat. I decided to try and sabotage their equipment. However the TCG that looked like Wash, was standing guard. I told my ESFP friend (who is also a stripper) my plan; and she seduced him so I could get to the equipment. I destroyed a bunch of the computer gear and dismantled the automatic sniper rifles and hid them.

When Wash found out he revealed that he was actually one of my old friends, who had had plastic surgery to disguise himself. He said we would have been fine if we had just obeyed. He apologized to me and said he still had to do his job. He took me to his psychotic boss (who was still with Auburn :D) and then I woke up. Disappointing huh?

Anyway I feel I add a couple details. It was never really 'scary.' It had more of an adventure/mystery feel. I don't usually have 1st person dreams like this and there is a whole bunch of stuff that I left out for the sake of space.

motrhead

Local time
-->
I am very rarely aware of my dreams. When I do have interrupted sleep like last night, I realise that I have boring dreams. Generally, nothing bad happens. There may be something influenced by tv shows or conversations I have had during the day. There are a few recurring themes, with the same general locations: halfway up a mountain that I intend to hike up; driving on a nice open road I remember from my childhood; or visiting a city I used to live in, and trying to remember my way around. Nothing much is weird, scary or too troubling - only mildly irritating.
Around ten years ago, I had a dream where my child was being attacked by a cougar, and in my dream I realised that I was dreaming, and decided I should have a rifle in my hands: poof I had the rifle; shot the cougar, and have only had one bad dream since - involving the death of one of my kids - and that time I woke up sobbing and couldn't go back to sleep. That kind of dream has happened three times that I can remember, each time with a different family member (father, wife, child) and each time I awoke in tears. That was totally abnormal for me, and very upsetting.
I'm not complaining about not having crazy dreams, but I sound a bit boring compared to most of you.:(

Ulysses

Banned
Local time
-->
Has anyone ever had a dream where they were standing outdoors looking up at a night sky filled with large celestial bodies? I remember having this dream as a child, and I haven't forgotten it ever since. The interesting thing is that two of my friends have talked about having a very similar dream as well, and we aren't at all alike. :p

This is sort of what it looked like, except that there were more planets.

Felan

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
This morning as my alarm was drawing me out of my dream my dream fought back by throwing a pop up at me, "You can't wake up yet because its just an aural illusion."

So surprised was I that I forgot to wake up and overslept.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Another oddish one:
I'm sitting at my laptop, messing about at the net. Suddenly a bear appears in my room. This bear is a famous author and was also my high school principal. Suddenly I realise the bear is telekinetic. This terrifies me and I try to run, but in usual dream-style my legs feel as heavy as cement, and I'm forced to watch in horror as my laptop speakers are slowly transported through the air next to my ears; through them I hear a low incoherent whispering that gradually builds to strident bellowing, then drops again and repeats. All my star wars figurines are smashed to pieces from the noise. The bear turns this story into a world-famous book in a few years. By that time I'm dead.

This sounds like it could be another ruined-childhood one, but I'm not sure. Ideas?

Artifice Orisit

The last one was about negative association, this one seems to be about insecurities and/or competency, the fact that the bear is an author seems very important. The bear doesn’t seem to be your enemy, and yet you're afraid of it, the fact that it's telekinetic and was your high school principal suggests the bear's physical strength has been translated into cognitive power. Your afraid of something more intelligent than yourself, something more experienced, as an unpublished (I assume) writer you admire the author and wish to be one too, but you're afraid of existing authors.

Old instincts are a play here, as a young adult male your instinctively seeking to sate your ambitions, but you're also instinctively cautious, you don't want to face off against the perceived dominance of an established author. The mindset is very similar to that of a young male lion seeking to establish a pride of his own, his ambitions driving him into conflict with the powerful alpha male. You're afraid of making yourself known, of doing something that challenges the dominance of the existing alphas, you're afraid they'll cut you down before your ready to face them and establish yourself amongst them.

Catch is the world is a different place in these modern times, you're not going to get beaten to death by someone bigger and stronger than yourself, you may however have your intellectual properties stolen and the credit for your work along with it. Of course instinct takes thousands of years to change, so your outdated pack-dynamics instincts are trying to give you good advice, but it doesn’t make any sense.

The bit about your figurines being destroyed suggests one bit of helpful advice, you're being told to stop paying attention to other people's works that you already understand; you've got nothing more to be gain from the star wars universe, the bear is trying to tell you this, after all dream characters are aspects of your subconscious self trying to assist you.
Lucky you're shadow didn't have anything to say, it speaks in violence, pain and horror.

Xel

When in the course of inhuman events....
Local time
-->
Dream: I was given a ticket with the number three on it that I could use to get a shirt from the store. I was in school with my friends Jon and Mike. And instead of getting a shirt I got this toy fire truck. And it was large enough to ride on, and so I rode on it down the halls of the school that looked something like the halls of a grocery store. And walking along the halls was Jerry Sienfield and he waved to me. As I rode on I passed George, Elaine, and Kramer. However Jon told me after inspecting a the fire truck that it was actually an acid bomb and that we had to defuse it. We took it to the office, not knowing where else to go, and she said we would have to get rid of it. There was a weird interlude, perhaps based on something the woman said. There was Obama meeting a Kenyan version of Obama and a Kenyan version of Martin Luther King (but in real life Obama is Kenyan lol) and they talk and then after that Obama thanks them and goes back to his car after cursing out... somebody ... a bodyguard maybe?
After this I may have woken up but went back to sleep.
I was riding in a car with Jon and Mike in the front seat. We appeared to be transporting the bomb. The steering wheel was on the left where Mike was sitting yet it doesn't appear he was actually using it. There were two tv screens in front of the windshield and I was all "Hey how can you see the road if the screens are in the way?" And then the one on Mike's side went down. And then we got out and Jon said communism failed because Karl Marx's economics were wrong ( said after that "Slam dunk!") and I said no it went wrong because the states were authoritarian. After that the dream transitioned to this village and Jesus had to grow his beard and a Jew had to pretend to die... for some reason I can't remember. And then I woke up.

Carnap

Local time
-->
I had this one the other day. I know it's about my school year (that made me go NUTS in the end because all the French bastards alienated me and mocked me all year long, even went so far as the professors telling me they didn't want me in their class. All because I'm religious) :

I was on like a tricycle, in a tunnel, a square shaped tunnel with a mauve floor that was very steep. Going down, steep. That's how I got to school every day. I wondered if I'd make it, it being so damned steep.

Outside the tunnel, a marketplace. People offered me goods. A handbag that looked cheap, some designer shit that everyone has. I said no.

At the end, I was in a room with my mother. A little blond boy, me, left my body and flexed a huge muscle and pounded on my mom.

How damned Freudian, that last bit. Like a little boy tearing up the hat of his dad after an oedipal complex has been shattered.

Any other thoughts on the details?

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
The first dream I've remembered in just about as long as I can remember =)

So, I was in the countryside, and I was walking along a hill. I can remember the sky was all grey and cloudy, and the grass was kinda long, but I was arguing with someone because they'd done something to a friend of mine, and they'd sorta turned into a zombie almost, but more like one of the computer controlled characters in a game maybe? As in, they'd follow me around, but they were blank, and they couldn't speak and so on. So I was yelling at this person to change them back, but they wouldn't, and they wanted me to be happy I still had them, so I got annoyed I think and ran off, but they changed my friend into a raven, and they went to grab them, so I changed into a raven too, and I was about to fly off so that my friend would follow me into the air and escape, but then something grabbed me from behind (but it wasn't the person who'd zombified my friend I think, they were too far away) and then I woke up, just as they grabbed me to stop me taking off.

And that all makes no sense, but I'm trying to explain what happened when my dream was pretty much silent, but I just sorta knew what was going on... it made more sense at the time I think.

Carnap

Local time
-->
For school we had to go to this movie theater. Several small TV screens were suspended from the ceiling. Each TV screen had a section of seats. I wanted to choose the only section that showed the movie in a blue shade. All sections showed the same movie, but I wanted this shade.

A classmate from school was there. I said 'normally I wouldn't do this, but this is special. We both need this so bad'. We then had an intense sexual relationship in the theater. I seemed to be dominate. (honestly it wasn't that graphically depicted)

The older, benevolent, gray haired bus driver was in this section. He smiled at me, understanding. Like I was special and endearing. Like he approved.

Rain

Lighting the Way
Local time
-->
The vast majority of what few and infrequently erratic dreams that befall me are in natural surroundings i e not industrial. Rain forests, Mountains, Deserts, The Arctic etc. I mean, if the best your mind can come up with to entertain you while you sleep is a parking garage or your own house that seems a bit sad.

Local time
-->
of the more coherent dreams I've had some of my favorites have been:

*being a vampire hunter and setting them on fire with my mind/hand gestures, and when in danger opening a portal, jumping in, and waking up immediately

*being a wizard in this forest where the trees were sick with a disease that made them spontaneously combust, I knew the elder was infected so I froze him into solid ice, the other trees were unaware of the disease and exiled me for freezing their elder, I accepted the punishment without question knowing I had saved the forest

*a series or dreams being a spy on infiltration missions getting chased around

*having a telekinetic fight in a warehouse full of books

*realistic sex dreams

*seeing an angel

*laughing at the nuclear apocalypse as I watched it happen

*this one kinda sucked but when I was a kid I remember having this dream where a toilet suddenly appeared in front of me and I woke up peeing the bed

*the last dream I remember was weird and made me sad for days, I poisoned this turtle intentionally for no reason and then immediately wondering why the hell I did it. I felt really really bad so I watched over it for awhile to make sure I didn't kill it, and after a minute it got up and I walked away and woke up.
still makes me sad thinking about it, like how could I do such a thing?
he turned out okay but I felt so evil

i don't remember very many dreams but when I do they kick some serious ass :D

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
It's pretty common to have toilets in dreams as you wet the bed in childhood.

I for one remember toilet-ninjas, but I won't even get into that... :p

Local time
-->
made a couple edits, added a couple more dreams I just remembered

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
I think I'm slowly going insane. I remembered something today and I can't tell if it was real or from a dream.

:confused:

Local time
-->
This one time I woke up to take a piss and while I was going it started raining outside, and when I stopped the rain stopped, that was weird. Still don't know if I was lucid dreaming or if it was real.....crazy coincidence either way

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
-->
This is going to be a rather long post for me, recounting some dreams here:

First off, I had this reoccurring childhood dream.

It'd start off with me playing in my room, eventually I'd start jumping on the bed (which I never did IRL, oddly enough.) While jumping, I'd see this vent up in the corner of my room above my bed (not actually there in real life either, but the rest of my room was identical seemingly...). After some random amount of time, never too long and never too short, I'd eventually bounce high enough and sort of half fall into it, the metal grate that was covering would simply disappear, not really magically, it'd just be gone, like it fell or was knock in underneath me and ignored. I'd then crawl down the tunnel and realize it went way longer than my house. I would always take a few turns, and come upon a grate going up outside, I'd push it aside and climb out into this crazy new world. It'd always be a theme-colored world, something like warm or cool colors, or shades of a certain color, but it'd always have some sort of artistic association. I remember the grass being a healthy blue once, a healthy but abnormally vivid green, a healthy but abnormally vivid yellow one time - the colors were always extremely vibrant, like neon or like a marker vs colored pencil is potency.

I'd start walking across the prairie, looking around a ton. The sky was always a dark shade, like midnight, not necessarily black, but not blue, just a lot of darkness. Never sunny that I can recall. I'd eventually come upon a road, and sometime along that road a patrol of armored knights with medieval weaponry would ride up and hold out their halberds or swords to keep me from escaping, I'd always be surrounded and questioned, but I would look so outlandish and crazy to them. Sometimes they'd take me as prisoner, escorting me straight to the queen for judgment, other times they'd allow me to walk freely into town, often times it would be 'prophesied' that I would show up and they'd allow me to pass due to that at times. I would always have to go straight to the queen though. I remember as I walked through the city I'd be shocked, because it looked practically like a mcdonalds playpen. The rooms were very large balls, and connecting the balls were tubes, always following the proper color scheme of the world. I'd come upon a castle, where I'd be dragged / escorted / held at swordpoint to the queen (it all depending on the tone of the dream, it always varied.) The queen would always be an epic moment in the dream, and it would always be whoever I had a crush on at the time. I'm pretty sure it was how I felt about her that set the tone of the dream, aka, if I liked her but she was kind of a mean type person, then the guards were rough, the colors were more malevolent, etc, if I liked her and she was kind, the guards were kind, the colors were cool, so on.

A discussion would take place between us, whereupon the result was always the same, I would be sent on a quest, and if I came back successful she'd allow me into the city (and there was always a hint of romantic potential :P). I never actually dreamed, or if I did, I could never remember it, the actual quest and actions during it, it would just fast-forward to me being victorious, her falling for me and making me some sort of honorary knight and the city being open to me and treating me like a hero.

And then the dream would end, I think sometimes I'd either wake up in the dream in my bed, or I'd head back out to the prairie / hills to find my home again. I had this dream essentially once a year when I was in elementary school, every time my crush would change, the dream would come again at some point.

(Hilarious side note: I fell asleep while typing this, and woke up to having like 6 pages of "d's" pressed after my last sentence XD. I woke up to a dream of my coworker wanting to give me his number, since I was quitting my job and he wanted to stay in contact / hang out, even though we never did while I worked there X.x)

Another dream I had the sense enough to actually write down, I'll copy and paste here, not sure how well edited it is and don't feel like going over it after all this typing :P

it starts off where I am working at the grocery store like usual, but then I go on break and have to go to class, in the store. So me and several other workers / students are working on an assignment, which is to write an anonymous appreciation for our teacher, mr. christensen. I'm having troubles writing, so a cute classmate helps me out by showing me hers, which inspires me to erase what I was working on (a random doodle involving musical notes) and to write a poem I'd been thinking of in real life. Since my teacher was an english teacher, he'd appreciate good poetry, and mine would be good and insightful. It moves forward and I'm sitting with my friend in a truck, and we're going to steal some goods from the place I work at, only, it's no longer a grocery store but a construction plant, and we're stealing these bags of pink sand and lumber. I'm calmly helping him, but upset with him for his immorality, but my loyalty forces me to help him. A manager/fellow teacher (leadership role) person was sneaking up on us and heard our voices, and recognized mine, but I was no longer me, but Mr. Christensen, which horrified her not only because I worked with her / under her, but I (and mr. c) are both supposed to be extremely moral people, who wouldn't steal. We drive down to this river under a bridge, and he starts tossing the stolen goods into a pile that's falling over into the river, and I just blow up at him over the wastefulness of his throwing it all away, the pointlessness of our stealing it, but he's just 'making a stand' against the company, which, I disagreed with, but it was something like an environmental movement (though he was polluting the river with plastic and tons of sand) So we're driving back, and all of a sudden we're at the construction warehouse again, and he decides to abandon me there. The manager type person is waiting there still looking for us, but they never caught us the first time, so the second time we're back here and my friend decides to betray me and leave me behind to be caught... instead, I managed to sneak into the back of the truck just as they were leaving, and while backing up, they see me... the friend turns out to be my dad at this point, and he becomes enraged and tries to toss me from the vehicle by accelerating fast and slamming on the breaks. the only thing in the truck bed is some inane objects and a tire, and I remember fearing the tire would crush me, but my grip was solid and I managed to brace the tire with me, so I become rock solid stable in the back. He ends up driving to my grandma's house, where a physical fight supposedly ensues, but never in detail. He tried using a shotgun against me which really upset me and I managed to get the upper hand and disarm him, leaving me with the shotgun and him dazed. So, I keep the shutgun threatening him, but start talking like i'm some villain / crazy person in a movie with prisoners and am about to be stopped by the police, so I make a drastic decision.. I tell my dad how, he's a materialistic person, and cares about unimportant things, so I'm going to destroy those things. I grab the tractor nearby and drive it into my grandma's house, destroying the only relic left of her (she passed away a few months ago IRL). The people living in the house I spare, but the tractor eventually crashes through the weakened basement, and somehow falls into a second basement, which is irrelevant, just makes it extremely deep, and the water starts rising / flooding, so I have to escape and manage to, still with the shotgun in my hands, I get to the top and the police are about here, and my plan is to commit suicide, but then the fat and stupid son of the new family living decides to play hero and attack me, I kick his ass and he's lying down in the basement (1st, not second, where the water is still rising), and he was so pathetic that I ended up giving him the shotgun and walking upstairs, ready to give myself up... I'm standing in the kitchen where he holds me hostage until the police arrive, his friends show up and I overhear them asking how long it took him to disarm me, and he was kind of stammering and scared because I was still within sight / sound, so I said to them he disarmed me in about 2 minutes, and he smiled and started telling a make believe story with him as the hero, and i silently congragulated him for it... the mother of the family was traumatized, and the father I don't know where he was at.. I was talking to the police though, probably about to be taken in but just discussing events with me, and I woke up

....god that looks atrocious.

I've stopped having the dream about different crushes from my childhood, but in the past 4 years or so I've continued to have this dream about one specific girl. The dream is always different, random, completely not-memorable, but there's always a *really freaking strong* emotion attached to it, and when I wake up, I can't even hate the world, I can't feel any negative emotion, all I feel is an extremely strong desire to crawl back into that dream even though I can't. I want to hate the world for taking it away from me, but it's such a pleasurable emotion that negativity just seems wrong to intrude upon it. It's like love, but not quite like love, a really strong affection that's like nothing I've really experienced from a waking-life situation...

The dream is never really about this girl per say, she's just, in it, and by my side, supporting me, being the companion I desire in my waking moments. There's never anything sexual, it's always just.. peaceful, amazing, blissful, innocent. The reoccurring female in the dream is one that I had a crush on the moment I saw her in middle school (ironically, when the elementary school dreams stopped). I would ask this girl to dance at *every* dance without fail, even in high school when I had a girlfriend, I would tell my girlfriend that this is kind of a ritual for us and I had to at least have one dance with this girl... I had tried 'dating' her in 7th grade, and she said yes to my surprise (I was really fucking weird, trying to get her attention and favor, haha.) We 'dated' for a week, which amounted to me being too scared to call her, barely able to hold her hand, and sitting nervously next to her at lunch, my introversion going into overkill mode around all her friends, it was a torture for me that I endured just to be next to her. She was always super kind to me, even when she broke up, she did so kindly to the point where I wasn't even really upset about it, I knew what we were doing wasn't really anything, so I just kind of kept hoping, and made the determination not to date anyone until I had a car and a job and could actually take her out and such (My next girlfriend wasn't until my junior year of high school, haha. Though, I never got the job, my parents wouldn't let me, I only had a car, which, worked well enough for me :)).

I don't think even now I've really stopped liking this girl, that's the funny thing. She doesn't really occupy my thoughts, it's more like a... this girl, was amazing and perfect, I never really got to know her, so she's still perfect. Everything she does is admirable to me (facebook stalking >.>) lol. I dunno, it's kind of like that whole 'one that got away' story I guess. I never really tried again and I still wonder about her.

....Ok so realized I got way off on the whole dreaming subject towards the end here, but I felt the story was relevant to any possible explanations to the dream.

Any dream analysts up to tackling my mess of thoughts? haha.

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:42 PM
-->
This reminded me about the weird things about my war-dreams. In my dreams, people never use modern weapons (guns, bombs, etc.), but they're always using swords and knifes. And it's always an invasion - and I'm in the middle of it, preparing to run straight in the heat of battle, but there some unexpected adjunct which makes me to do something absolutely unplanned and - sometimes - insane. In some cases I'm attempting to lead people to safety; sometimes I can't find my weapons; once I was desperately running around and looking for something while everybody's fighting.

However, one way or another, I never get to the battlefield.

I finally have started to participate in the battles and I have to admit that the dreams are much more fun this way.
Perhaps if the fight stands for a problem, I have begun to solve it. Now I just have to figure out what problem a man-eating plant and violent savage tribes could symbolize...

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Oh, it's me, right?

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:42 PM
-->
Considering that you are a chief of a tribe of photosynthesizing birds - yes, it could be. (What was I thinking about? The answer was so obvious!)

Artifice Orisit

Firehazard159, could you please specify which dream you want analysed, that wall of text is simply insurmountable.

Have I mentioned the dream where I tried to escape a nightmarish alien planet, only to discover the supposed drop-ship I had ran into was in fact biological, kinda like a pitcher plant, but using a door; then thick fluid started filling the compartment/stomach and as I was being absorbed a gentle voice told me not to panic, that I was being reborn, and that it was my new mother (I had mixed feelings about that). Oh and during the course of this dream I happened to be female, it wasn't of much relevance, it never occurred to me that I had been any other way, and the only noticeable difference was a more effective survival instinct, normally I'd have stood my ground and fought to the bitter end instead of seeking escape.

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
-->
Firehazard159, could you please specify which dream you want analysed, that wall of text is simply insurmountable.

Mostly, I was sharing for the sake of sharing; these are just three dreams that particularly stand out for me, two of them being reoccurring and all.

I'm starting to realize that I have a lot of 'movie' type dreams, and I think that's what my second dream is. That one just particularly bothered me, morality wise, whereas usually my 'movie' dreams don't tend cause me to wake up feeling a powerful emotion one way or another, so I'm curious if that means anything.

The first and third dream are possibly linked, both being sort of along the same subject matter and reoccurring. Though, the third one is the most recent, and the one that makes me feel the oddest / strongest, so probably best to have that one analyzed, as it's the most relevant.

Alright, decision made, number 3. haha.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
This is going to be a rather long post for me, recounting some dreams here:

First off, I had this reoccurring childhood dream.

It'd start off with me playing in my room, eventually I'd start jumping on the bed (which I never did IRL, oddly enough.) While jumping, I'd see this vent up in the corner of my room above my bed (not actually there in real life either, but the rest of my room was identical seemingly...). After some random amount of time, never too long and never too short, I'd eventually bounce high enough and sort of half fall into it, the metal grate that was covering would simply disappear, not really magically, it'd just be gone, like it fell or was knock in underneath me and ignored. I'd then crawl down the tunnel and realize it went way longer than my house. I would always take a few turns, and come upon a grate going up outside, I'd push it aside and climb out into this crazy new world. It'd always be a theme-colored world, something like warm or cool colors, or shades of a certain color, but it'd always have some sort of artistic association. I remember the grass being a healthy blue once, a healthy but abnormally vivid green, a healthy but abnormally vivid yellow one time - the colors were always extremely vibrant, like neon or like a marker vs colored pencil is potency.

I'd start walking across the prairie, looking around a ton. The sky was always a dark shade, like midnight, not necessarily black, but not blue, just a lot of darkness. Never sunny that I can recall. I'd eventually come upon a road, and sometime along that road a patrol of armored knights with medieval weaponry would ride up and hold out their halberds or swords to keep me from escaping, I'd always be surrounded and questioned, but I would look so outlandish and crazy to them. Sometimes they'd take me as prisoner, escorting me straight to the queen for judgment, other times they'd allow me to walk freely into town, often times it would be 'prophesied' that I would show up and they'd allow me to pass due to that at times. I would always have to go straight to the queen though. I remember as I walked through the city I'd be shocked, because it looked practically like a mcdonalds playpen. The rooms were very large balls, and connecting the balls were tubes, always following the proper color scheme of the world. I'd come upon a castle, where I'd be dragged / escorted / held at swordpoint to the queen (it all depending on the tone of the dream, it always varied.) The queen would always be an epic moment in the dream, and it would always be whoever I had a crush on at the time. I'm pretty sure it was how I felt about her that set the tone of the dream, aka, if I liked her but she was kind of a mean type person, then the guards were rough, the colors were more malevolent, etc, if I liked her and she was kind, the guards were kind, the colors were cool, so on.

A discussion would take place between us, whereupon the result was always the same, I would be sent on a quest, and if I came back successful she'd allow me into the city (and there was always a hint of romantic potential :P). I never actually dreamed, or if I did, I could never remember it, the actual quest and actions during it, it would just fast-forward to me being victorious, her falling for me and making me some sort of honorary knight and the city being open to me and treating me like a hero.

And then the dream would end, I think sometimes I'd either wake up in the dream in my bed, or I'd head back out to the prairie / hills to find my home again. I had this dream essentially once a year when I was in elementary school, every time my crush would change, the dream would come again at some point.

(Hilarious side note: I fell asleep while typing this, and woke up to having like 6 pages of "d's" pressed after my last sentence XD. I woke up to a dream of my coworker wanting to give me his number, since I was quitting my job and he wanted to stay in contact / hang out, even though we never did while I worked there X.x)

Another dream I had the sense enough to actually write down, I'll copy and paste here, not sure how well edited it is and don't feel like going over it after all this typing :P

it starts off where I am working at the grocery store like usual, but then I go on break and have to go to class, in the store. So me and several other workers / students are working on an assignment, which is to write an anonymous appreciation for our teacher, mr. christensen. I'm having troubles writing, so a cute classmate helps me out by showing me hers, which inspires me to erase what I was working on (a random doodle involving musical notes) and to write a poem I'd been thinking of in real life. Since my teacher was an english teacher, he'd appreciate good poetry, and mine would be good and insightful. It moves forward and I'm sitting with my friend in a truck, and we're going to steal some goods from the place I work at, only, it's no longer a grocery store but a construction plant, and we're stealing these bags of pink sand and lumber. I'm calmly helping him, but upset with him for his immorality, but my loyalty forces me to help him. A manager/fellow teacher (leadership role) person was sneaking up on us and heard our voices, and recognized mine, but I was no longer me, but Mr. Christensen, which horrified her not only because I worked with her / under her, but I (and mr. c) are both supposed to be extremely moral people, who wouldn't steal. We drive down to this river under a bridge, and he starts tossing the stolen goods into a pile that's falling over into the river, and I just blow up at him over the wastefulness of his throwing it all away, the pointlessness of our stealing it, but he's just 'making a stand' against the company, which, I disagreed with, but it was something like an environmental movement (though he was polluting the river with plastic and tons of sand) So we're driving back, and all of a sudden we're at the construction warehouse again, and he decides to abandon me there. The manager type person is waiting there still looking for us, but they never caught us the first time, so the second time we're back here and my friend decides to betray me and leave me behind to be caught... instead, I managed to sneak into the back of the truck just as they were leaving, and while backing up, they see me... the friend turns out to be my dad at this point, and he becomes enraged and tries to toss me from the vehicle by accelerating fast and slamming on the breaks. the only thing in the truck bed is some inane objects and a tire, and I remember fearing the tire would crush me, but my grip was solid and I managed to brace the tire with me, so I become rock solid stable in the back. He ends up driving to my grandma's house, where a physical fight supposedly ensues, but never in detail. He tried using a shotgun against me which really upset me and I managed to get the upper hand and disarm him, leaving me with the shotgun and him dazed. So, I keep the shutgun threatening him, but start talking like i'm some villain / crazy person in a movie with prisoners and am about to be stopped by the police, so I make a drastic decision.. I tell my dad how, he's a materialistic person, and cares about unimportant things, so I'm going to destroy those things. I grab the tractor nearby and drive it into my grandma's house, destroying the only relic left of her (she passed away a few months ago IRL). The people living in the house I spare, but the tractor eventually crashes through the weakened basement, and somehow falls into a second basement, which is irrelevant, just makes it extremely deep, and the water starts rising / flooding, so I have to escape and manage to, still with the shotgun in my hands, I get to the top and the police are about here, and my plan is to commit suicide, but then the fat and stupid son of the new family living decides to play hero and attack me, I kick his ass and he's lying down in the basement (1st, not second, where the water is still rising), and he was so pathetic that I ended up giving him the shotgun and walking upstairs, ready to give myself up... I'm standing in the kitchen where he holds me hostage until the police arrive, his friends show up and I overhear them asking how long it took him to disarm me, and he was kind of stammering and scared because I was still within sight / sound, so I said to them he disarmed me in about 2 minutes, and he smiled and started telling a make believe story with him as the hero, and i silently congragulated him for it... the mother of the family was traumatized, and the father I don't know where he was at.. I was talking to the police though, probably about to be taken in but just discussing events with me, and I woke up

....god that looks atrocious.

I've stopped having the dream about different crushes from my childhood, but in the past 4 years or so I've continued to have this dream about one specific girl. The dream is always different, random, completely not-memorable, but there's always a *really freaking strong* emotion attached to it, and when I wake up, I can't even hate the world, I can't feel any negative emotion, all I feel is an extremely strong desire to crawl back into that dream even though I can't. I want to hate the world for taking it away from me, but it's such a pleasurable emotion that negativity just seems wrong to intrude upon it. It's like love, but not quite like love, a really strong affection that's like nothing I've really experienced from a waking-life situation...

The dream is never really about this girl per say, she's just, in it, and by my side, supporting me, being the companion I desire in my waking moments. There's never anything sexual, it's always just.. peaceful, amazing, blissful, innocent. The reoccurring female in the dream is one that I had a crush on the moment I saw her in middle school (ironically, when the elementary school dreams stopped). I would ask this girl to dance at *every* dance without fail, even in high school when I had a girlfriend, I would tell my girlfriend that this is kind of a ritual for us and I had to at least have one dance with this girl... I had tried 'dating' her in 7th grade, and she said yes to my surprise (I was really fucking weird, trying to get her attention and favor, haha.) We 'dated' for a week, which amounted to me being too scared to call her, barely able to hold her hand, and sitting nervously next to her at lunch, my introversion going into overkill mode around all her friends, it was a torture for me that I endured just to be next to her. She was always super kind to me, even when she broke up, she did so kindly to the point where I wasn't even really upset about it, I knew what we were doing wasn't really anything, so I just kind of kept hoping, and made the determination not to date anyone until I had a car and a job and could actually take her out and such (My next girlfriend wasn't until my junior year of high school, haha. Though, I never got the job, my parents wouldn't let me, I only had a car, which, worked well enough for me :)).

I don't think even now I've really stopped liking this girl, that's the funny thing. She doesn't really occupy my thoughts, it's more like a... this girl, was amazing and perfect, I never really got to know her, so she's still perfect. Everything she does is admirable to me (facebook stalking >.>) lol. I dunno, it's kind of like that whole 'one that got away' story I guess. I never really tried again and I still wonder about her.

....Ok so realized I got way off on the whole dreaming subject towards the end here, but I felt the story was relevant to any possible explanations to the dream.

Any dream analysts up to tackling my mess of thoughts? haha.

:worship:

Local time
-->
:storks::confused::mad::eek::phear::eek::(:storks::rip:trying to read Firehazard's post.

Artifice Orisit

Could you perhaps separate it from that block? Finding the 3rd dream requires that I read the whole bloody thing anyway, which completely defies the laziness I'm trying to achieve.

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
-->
Note: This does refer back a little to the first dream I posted, which is only potentially relevant, due to the centerpiece of the dream being the same. There's also not a lot of detail to the dream, because the dreams are never detailed themselves, it's more of an emotional experience. So all this typing, is more just back story on the person behind the dream, and what significance they've had in my life.

The dream is never really about this girl per say, she's just, in it, and by my side, supporting me, being the companion I desire in my waking moments. (After rereading this for a second post, I realize that statement is inaccurate. The dream is *fully* about her, but the... camera... of the dream, isn't focused on her. It's like I'm walking through the dream and experiencing random unimportant events, but the focus is on the fact that she's there beside me.) There's never anything sexual, it's always just.. peaceful, amazing, blissful, innocent. The reoccurring female in the dream is one that I had a crush on the moment I saw her in middle school (ironically, when the elementary school dreams stopped). I would ask this girl to dance at *every* dance without fail, even in high school when I had a girlfriend, I would tell my girlfriend that this is kind of a ritual for us and I had to at least have one dance with this girl... I had tried 'dating' her in 7th grade, and she said yes to my surprise (I was really fucking weird, trying to get her attention and favor, haha.) We 'dated' for a week, which amounted to me being too scared to call her, barely able to hold her hand, and sitting nervously next to her at lunch, my introversion going into overkill mode around all her friends, it was a torture for me that I endured just to be next to her. She was always super kind to me, even when she broke up, she did so kindly to the point where I wasn't even really upset about it, I knew what we were doing wasn't really anything, so I just kind of kept hoping, and made the determination not to date anyone until I had a car and a job and could actually take her out and such (My next girlfriend wasn't until my junior year of high school, haha. Though, I never got the job, my parents wouldn't let me, I only had a car, which, worked well enough for me ).

Artifice Orisit

*wistful sigh* Dreaming about your anima, your "dream girl" , the exact nature of the anima varies from person to person, but it's always very close to the heart. Damn, sucks to be you mate, your projecting your anima upon the girls you meet and so are drawn to those that have some semblance to it. Actually, maybe I'm being unfair, everybody does this and women do exactly the same thing, projecting their animus upon the men they meet. Catch is falling in love with one's anima or animus and not the actual person being dated can set oneself up for disillusionment.

Getting very Freudian for a moment, the anima is derived from life experience with one's mother, it's an instinctive drive seeking a suitable mother figure for one's offspring; by using one's own mother as a model one already has some idea of what a successful mother should be, again women do exactly the same thing with their fathers. If you let such instincts control you, it's very likely you'll spend your life looking for your mother personified, this girl you talked about is a great example, if she stopped being so kind and showed honest human character flaws I imagine your love for her would be greatly diminished. Of course being smitten as you are it's likely that your almost consciously blind to her flaws, but subconsciously a tally is being kept, it's only a matter of time and intimacy before the illusion is lost and reality comes crashing in.

I'd suggest focusing less on why you love someone and more on just loving them for who they are... how do I explain this.. love less like a lover seeking his partner and more like the unconditional love of a father, yeah weird thought. Naturally the person in question doesn’t exactly want a father figure and I'm sure you don't want to be that to them, but in truth unconditional love (the sort that lasts forever) is unnatural, technically a neurosis, and when you break down love to the biological influences from which it’s derived, it all get very weird. Just ignore all my Freudian crap and learn to love people flaws and all, stop searching for that elusive dream girl and instead seek someone who you honestly like and honestly likes you.

I bet this post will be unpopular.

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
-->
I fully understand that, and agree actually. (Though, I know I've suffered from dillussionment more than once.)

That's what's weird though, about this specific girl. She's not at all like my mother, though other girls have been. I always figured if I ever got to know this girl personally, I'd see her flaws and grow to dislike her, and that may have been part of the reason why I never tried to get closer, subconsciously. I've met two people in my life who've been nothing but kind to every person they meet, and disapprove of talking about people behind their backs, they're disconcertingly fully accepting. You'd think they'd look down upon you for saying something negative about someone, but they don't even do that, it's like they're literal saints, it's awkward. That's her level of kindness, which, in a way I suppose is motherly, but not 'like my mother'. I hope that makes sense, it's a difficult thing to explain.

Anyway, she's somewhat irrelevant living halfway across the USA now, and me not having any personal relationship established with her. I don't rule out a possibility of something happening someday, just consider it unlikely. I'll just have to work on the whole honestly liking / being liked thing. It's hard to suppress those biological / chemical 'love' urges (or whatever they are) though, haha.

Artifice Orisit

That's what's weird though, about this specific girl. She's not at all like my mother,
It's not a conscious thing.

disconcertingly fully accepting. You'd think they'd look down upon you for saying something negative about someone, but they don't even do that, it's like they're literal saints, it's awkward. That's her level of kindness,
...meh, who knows? Maybe heaven is missing an angel or two, although I'm too cynical to see reality like that, always expecting the nasty shock behind the veil, good luck to you though.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
All guys want subconsciously their mothers and girls want their fathers. Creepy as hell but I think the mindset behind that is "My parents produced me so I should look for someone who is similar". Although through childhood experiences this behavior can turn into the opposite and we look for someone who is diametral. [citation needed]

twiztid

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I dream every night, often ten different dreams.

I once dreamt I...fucked my father. 3 times in a row.
Like once isn't enough....
It was awful.. I couldn't look him in the eye for a whole week afterwords.

Top Bottom