• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Dragons are flying

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:08 PM
-->
Any Anne McCaffrey fans here? She's died.

I started reading about dragons and Pern ten years after she started writing the books, enjoying them tremendously. As a writer she showed a lot of respect for the thinking ability of her young readers, and the series is much broader and more complex than you'd think from the first books (which are excellent science fiction/fantasy adventures, often featuring women and girls as the protagonists.)

If you haven't read them and are interested (I especially recommend them for the younger folks in here) by all means start at the beginning. The reader shares various epiphanies with the characters as Pern's past is slowly figured out from book to book, but only if you start where they start, at their beginning. Even the obituary writers had the grace not to include a "spoiler" in describing her work. :) She often sounds themes that resonate in here, like the difficulty of dealing with hidebound traditionalists and small thinkers and whatnot. A lot of her characters ( I believe there are probably scores, if not hundreds, she was prolific in her bookwriting) sound a lot like us when we're bumping up against our cultural boundaries and whatnot. A lot of her characters take intuitive leaps, also, which then turn out to be right and make sense, which is a whole lot of fun to read.

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:08 PM
-->
I can't say I'm a fan, but her work - and apparently her kindness and support toward aspiring writers - changed fantasy writing for the better. She was very influential, and I was certainly sad to hear of her passing.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 2:08 PM
-->
Alas, Pern was a world I visited often.
Who now will call us to battle...
when the Thread falls?

[bimgx=700]http://intpforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1736&stc=1&d=1336404487[/bimgx]

Attachments

• df3.jpg
    df3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 129

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
Her only book I have read (I read it last year) was Pegasus in Flight.

It was enjoyable enough, certainly with interesting characters, I had read it as a means of clearing my head after reading too many hard hitting classics in a row it was an excellent and interesting break from all that emotion.

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
Oh. This actually aches a little.

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
Burning-book-001.jpg

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
sunflame_soho_big.jpg

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
“You must write every single day of your life... You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads... may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.” -Ray Bradbury

intpz

Banned
Local time
Today 8:08 PM
-->
I think this thread needs more authors... So here I am - I never heard of her, I haven't heard of many authors, as I don't have an English library around or the money to buy books online. However I really dislike and don't quite understand the need to post threads to respect the dead. They are dead!

But anyway, this thread seems to be more about discussion about her. So I'm not complaining about this thread. Just something related, as this thread clearly needed more than one author other than the OP.

Top Bottom