• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Don't Remember Dreams

Do you remeber Your Dreams ?

• Yes Vividly

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • No, i cant even remember when i fell asleep

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Err kinda , somtimes i dream a bit just before i wake up

Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters

Yodon

Local time
Today 9:41 PM
-->
How many of you INTPs actualy remember your dreams, I never seem to remember mine , i was told we always dream which is fine but i always close my eyes and then any amout of time just seems to vanish,

anyone else get this ?

JONTON

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Re: Dont Remember Dreams

I think we "always" dream whenever we are in a deep sleep, but not in a light sleep. Maybe it's related that I seem to remember my dreams more when I have good sleep.

For me to have good sleep, I need to sleep at regular times, in view of the window and door, with the curtains drawn, not having eaten within the (2 to 4) hours before bed.

edit:

Dreams can occur in any of the four stages of sleep, but the most vivid and memorable dreams occur in the last stage of sleep (also commonly referred to as REM sleep). (link)

I've also heard that you remember your dreams more easily if you wake gradually with the light, as opposed to with an alarm. When you wake up suddenly you're slightly startled and you forget your dream more easily, I suppose.

Moocow

Semantic Nitpicker
Local time
Today 4:41 PM
-->
Re: Dont Remember Dreams

I think we "always" dream whenever we are in a deep sleep, but not in a light sleep. Maybe it's related that I seem to remember my dreams more when I have good sleep.

Light sleep is when REM sleep occurs and that is when we dream. Our dreams are more incoherent and unmemorable during stages 3 and 4 when our deepest sleep occurs. REM sleep on the other hand is comparable to waking consciousness in terms of brain activity.

asmit127

Local time
-->
I'd answer but lately it's all been wrong. I've remembered maybe a dream a year for a long time, for the past couple of months it's been getting more frequent and in the past week I'm aware of dreaming every night. I'm tireder too, so guess I'm an REM dreamer?

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
Today 1:41 PM
-->
i only seem to remember the dreams i have right before i wake up :/

citrusbreath95

Tourist of this dimension
Local time
-->
I might not remember a dream as soon as I wake up, I might just randomly recall later that day "Oh, I had a dream last night". These won't be too vivid, and I will just get the mood/feel of it and some of the main events. Sometimes though I remember it as soon as I wake up and can remember quite enough of it. I can never usually recall details in my dreams, only a main "story line". The best part of a dream comes in the morning though, interpretation!

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
Hmm, occasionally I'll have a series of vivid dreams, but generally no. I can usually remember snatches of my dreams, but they've disappeared by the time I reach the breakfast table.

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
-->
^ yeah i know what you mean, they vanish for me in the shower zzz

Keary

The guy no one knows
Local time
Tomorrow 6:41 AM
-->
Hmm, occasionally I'll have a series of vivid dreams, but generally no. I can usually remember snatches of my dreams, but they've disappeared by the time I reach the breakfast table.

I'm the same, it's usually the odd parts of the dream that I remember for long periods of time instead of the more mundane parts that I forget either instantly or quickly after waking up.

DylanHead

I suggest taking melatonin before bed. You will have very vivid dreams

OtakuJolyn

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I don't have many dreams, or even lucid dreams. but when I do they're awesome.
Especially the lucid dreams...

Apathy

Local time
Today 2:41 PM
-->
I think people who sleep deeply tend to have more difficulty remembering their dreams. Personally I'm a deep sleeper and I find that I can only sometimes remember the dreams I have before waking up, or if I happen to be snoozing after I have woken up.
Usually my clock radio wakes me up when I am still sleeping deeply so I never rememeber any dreams on those days.

I find if I have something with Caffiene in it before I go to bed there is a better chance of having a dream that I remember.

RedLoki

Awesomeness
Local time
-->
Yes and no for me. When I do remember my dreams, often I dream some elaborate and creative short stories. I've been trying to have lucid dreams and was making good progress, I even had a lucid moment! It was kind of funny too. I dreamed that my car was in the parking lot and raised up like in an auto shop and the tires were stolen. I was walking away from it then I had deja vu and thought 'wait.. this happened before" and then "wait... this sounds so stupid and illogical... THIS IS A DREAM!" As soon as I realized it, I jumped forward trying to fly, but only to crash about 20m ahead and resumed the dream. But for no apparent reason, recently all my progress went out the window.

I frequently drink Dream Herb tea before to bed and it's really hit or miss, with about 1/5 hit ratio. The best experience I had with it, I woke up from and remembered 7 dreams in one night.

Frecnhtosd

Redshirt
Local time
-->
yeah, i remember dreams like...randomly in the middle of the day. but it will be a dream from weeks ago. i also remember ones i have right before i get up. and at least recently all my dreams have been frighteningly vivid.

Amerally

Local time
-->
We don't remeber our dream when we are stressed. I've got period when I remember my dream. Especially, when I absolutely can't break impasse. Then I dream all in all the same. And can't deny their sesne, are so obvious.
The better way to remeber the dream is to set your heart on wake up at concrete hour (wake by yourself) and write or record on tape your dream. Before thinking. I have always a pen and the papers besides a bed. When I'm hurry, the dream disappear.
If we imagined some dream it 'd help to remember dream from last night (right brain for righthanded works).
I remember three dreams. Three stories. Unfortunetly, without lucid dream.
I promise myself, I'll be interpretate it, but it sometimes happens that dream showed me, revealed other's secrets. Enigmas I intuit. But I dream about other body of person. Cuz clear dream has only a child.
After years I read my dream. So complicaded. Full of abstract shapes.
Do you know Freud? Compensation dream theorem? I never has this kind of dream. Realization of needs.
In a dream we can't turn off light. Programmers has sleep twitch. As they write on keyboard. And special move of thum:blank character . And we can't read. I remember I read in a dream, but it can be, I create te word I'd be reading.
I suppose that everyone has a dream which live in their memories. Rare dream changing life-discovering secrets on nature. Have you thats kind of dream? Flash of insight? When you realized that someone cheats you? I have motivating dream.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
Funny, I remember more dreams when I'm stressed, not less.

Though then they tend to all share the same theme, which is generally me failing a test in every way humanly possible...

Anling

Local time
-->
I don't remember all of my dreams, but I remember them frequently. Sometimes I have a dream that continues from one night to the next. My dreams also sometimes reference previous dreams I've had. It's kind of odd. But I get some great story ideas out of them.

I think my subconscious is obsessed with stories; sometimes it will repeat a scene in a dream over and over again until it gets it right somehow. Not that it conforms to logic or anything. Or maybe that means I'm more lucid when I'm dreaming than I think.

reprographist

Emilynd
Local time
-->
I never do, unless it's my recurring dream. But I wish I didn't remember it either. When I was younger I remembered them a lot more than I do now though.

miyuki

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I dream often. almost everyday actually. i only realized that i did, after hearing "Everyone dreams." so i tried that out. after waking up, i would stop and try to recall the dream before 5 minutes passed. if I don't pause to reflect when I wake up, I tend to forget most of the dreams. also, I think I dream only when i wake up in the morning.

I have read that people who never dream have a (drastically?) shorter life span. so. But I also have read that people who do not sleep at all don't seem to have any physical problems. so.

I have vivid dreams, not always, but plenty enough. But ... by vivid I mean it has a storyline to it, almost. mostly in color. they're hardly black and white. mostly they are blurry and not exactly sharp images.

I can have lucid dreams if I focus, but most of the time it just wakes me up. and it's getting harder for me to take control of my dreams. I dream more when stressed, haven't slept in days, or so. it can often help me with figuring some problems in life, if i take a moment to reflect on the dream itself. though i don't rely on dreams often. i think i should listen to my dreams more often.

at times, i have very "epic" dreams. they're very hard to forget ... they are very interesting. i've saved the world a couple of times in those. and sometimes i will have dreams which happen whenever something similar happens (i'm sick, etc). for example when i was little and sick i would have the same nightmare, about fairies and golems. somehow the Golem represented the Lowest/deepest note on the piano and the fairy represented the highest/lightest note on the piano.

does anyone know which types have the least amount of dreams?

Anling

Local time
-->
But I also have read that people who do not sleep at all don't seem to have any physical problems. so.

This is very much not true. Bad things happen when you don't sleep for extended periods of time. Sleep deprevation is used to crack people for interrogation.

Sleep deprivation, a sleep disorder characterized by having too little sleep, can be either chronic or acute. Long-term sleep deprivation causes death in lab animals. A chronic sleep-restricted state can cause fatigue, daytime sleepiness, clumsiness and weight loss. Approximately 50 to 70 million Americans are reportedly affected by sleep deprivation or other sleep related disorders.[1]
Complete absence of sleep over long periods is impossible for humans to achieve (unless they suffer from fatal familial insomnia); brief microsleeps cannot be avoided.
from wikipedia

miyuki

Redshirt
Local time
-->
This is very much not true. Bad things happen when you don't sleep for extended periods of time. Sleep deprivation is used to crack people for interrogation.

from wikipedia

you're right.

Claims of not having slept in years have been made at times, for certain individuals, but either without scientific verification, or contradicted in independent verification:

• Never scientifically verified: Thai Ngoc, born 1942, claimed in 2006 to have been awake for 33 years or 11,700 nights, according to Vietnamese news organization Thanh Nien. It was said that Ngoc acquired the ability to go without sleep after a bout of fever in 1973,[63] but other reports indicate he stopped sleeping in 1976 with no known trigger.[64] At the time of the Thanh Nien report, Ngoc suffered from no apparent ill effect (other than a minor decline in liver function), was mentally sound and could carry 100 kg of pig feed down a 4 km road,[63] but another report indicates that he was healthy before the sleepless episode but that now he was not feeling well because of the lack of sleep.[64]

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation#Longest_period_without_sleep

I read this (or something similar) in my elementary textbook and either my memory got foggy, or more likely the textbook wasn't updated (the report being after the publication of the textbook). but i got the facts wrong.

i've ... also watched a lot of more of these scenarios on tv, saying the same thing (the person doesn't suffer at all from lack of sleep) ... i guess it is very possible they are all wrong. damn it.

so. maybe people do need to dream... to stay healthy and alive.

on a side note, the inability to breath (you have to tell yourself breath, breath, breath consciously) is called Ondine's curse. they often die at an early age too...

then, Haemophilia! where your blood is unable to clot well or at all, so you might bleed to death from a tiny cut, since it never heals. they used to die at an early age.

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
Today 10:41 PM
-->
on a side note, the inability to breath (you have to tell yourself breath, breath, breath consciously) is called Ondine's curse. they often die at an early age too...

Dolphins breathe consciously. They only sleep with one side of the brain at a time.

Makes me wonder what it would be like to have 4 hours of the day purely analytical functions and 4 hours purely "intuitive" functions. :D

miyuki

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Dolphins breathe consciously. They only sleep with one side of the brain at a time.

I guess it would be like using the restroom... but, all the time. and ever wondered how a mermaid took a poo? also, dolphins do call each other by names they make up (then even have a complex system for mothers and grandmothers, or so my psychology teacher says.. i can't find it on the net)and.. er... so i guess dolphins are quite smart, if they can develop a complex system for names or call each other names at the least... though they if they have to voluntarily breath.. i'd think they'd evolve. no wait.

dolphins resurface up into the ocean in order to breath, so by being half awake/half asleep is quite a smart development. and if it was involuntary while they were underwater... well that wouldn't be too good. and i guess it wouldn't be too bad, since they don't resurface every few seconds. (offtopic:eek:)

Makes me wonder what it would be like to have 4 hours of the day purely analytical functions and 4 hours purely "intuitive" functions. :D

I'd rather use both analytical and intuitive functions at the same time, but who knows? it might be more organized. but it wouldn't be very good in moments where you need.. quick thinking... [please wait a moment ... still taking in information... in 4 more hours you can make a decision]

i'm thinking it would be a great skill to have though, it would be akin to charging a solar beam for 4 hours, then having it fire (after accumulating all of that firepower)... awesome. then again, we can technically voluntarily do that now.

underflow

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I am relieved when I wake up and realize that a terrible dream was not true. :D
I am extremely annoyed when I wake up and realize that a totally awesome dream was not true. :evil:

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I rarely remember my dreams, but if I do, they are exceedingly odd. Dreams mostly occur during REM sleep, which occurs mostly every hour or so, so you actually have more than one dream every night (unless you don't get that much sleep). If any, only the most recent one is remembered. Dreams are truly only visual representations of many things in your subconscious and it has been proven that REM sleep and/or dreams have much to do with turning short-term memory to long-term memory, which is odd, seeing as how I forget everything I'm thinking about before I go to bed the next morning.

Though, sometimes when events occur in my life, and "events" is meant to be very loosely interpreted, I have a feeling that I've already done this exact thing before, that I've lived in this exact moment before. I know that that was a dream a had some time ago and I am then living in the dream. It makes little sense to me, but sometimes it happens that I dream things that happen later in my life.

sroro

Local time
-->
I almost always have vivid dreams, sometimes I even have lucid dreams (world building is fun). The only times I don't recall my dreams is when I'm under heavy stress (but not so heavy then I'll have super vivid dreams) or if I'm sick.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I almost always have vivid dreams, sometimes I even have lucid dreams (world building is fun). The only times I don't recall my dreams is when I'm under heavy stress (but not so heavy then I'll have super vivid dreams) or if I'm sick.
I envy you, especially the part about having lucid dreams.

Local time
Today 3:41 PM
-->
I remember like 6-7 dreams a month... I wish I could remember more :slashnew:

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
Becoming a lucid dreamer was my self-project last summer. I still have the dream journal I kept.
I don't have lucid dreams very often anymore, but I make a point to scour my mind in order to remember my
dreams. It bothers the hell out of me whenever I can't recall a dream the next day, but sometimes I have to wonder if I even dreamed at all (ahh, those nights of less than two hours of sleep...)

Does anyone else go to sleep after basically telling themself to dream? After my mind's chased its tail for hours and I'm ready to actually sleep, the last thought I have is usually "Dream about _____" or "Take me to _____". . .

chaomon

Local time
Tomorrow 4:41 AM
-->
Hmm. It depends on my mood before I sleep or it depends on how long I sleep. It's funny because I can actually control my dreams, if I dont want it I can just say change change or rewind in my mind. I remembered most of my dreams but lately I havent remember one? maybe bcoz I always lack sleep.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Becoming a lucid dreamer was my self-project last summer. I still have the dream journal I kept.
I don't have lucid dreams very often anymore, but I make a point to scour my mind in order to remember my
dreams. It bothers the hell out of me whenever I can't recall a dream the next day, but sometimes I have to wonder if I even dreamed at all (ahh, those nights of less than two hours of sleep...)

Does anyone else go to sleep after basically telling themself to dream? After my mind's chased its tail for hours and I'm ready to actually sleep, the last thought I have is usually "Dream about _____" or "Take me to _____". . .

I've never done that before in my life. I've never done anything at all to try to make myself remember dreams. If I remember my dreams though, they're usually extremely odd. I don't have a dream journal, but I have two of them posted on my facebook.

Here are the links. I changed the privacy settings to everyone so you should theoretically be able to see them even if you don't have a facebook account:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&suggest&note_id=76331797058
(Edwards is a local middle school, by the way)
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&suggest&note_id=196028037058
(combine soldier is from half-life 2)

Rational Fool

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:41 PM
-->
When it comes to dreams and rembering them could be because of what stage you are when you wake up
1, 2,3,4 and REM
Stage 4 you start having dreams but if you wake up during them they will be hard to rember
REM only last like 15mins but thats when dreams occur

Ungomma

Local time
Today 11:41 PM
-->
You can try eating a gram or so of Piracetam (a nootropic) to enchance the vividness of your dreams.

I had no dreams (didn't remember any) for as long as a year. Then I inititated a number of large-scale projects to improve my health. After a complete change of diet and a regular exercise regimen I am having dreams again.

What I mean is that lack of dreams might be indicative of some underlying issues.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
You can try eating a gram or so of Piracetam (a nootropic) to enchance the vividness of your dreams.

I had no dreams (didn't remember any) for as long as a year. Then I inititated a number of large-scale projects to improve my health. After a complete change of diet and a regular exercise regimen I am having dreams again.

What I mean is that lack of dreams might be indicative of some underlying issues.

Do you know how to remove dreams? I've had a year of nightmares. Aside from creating underlying issues, that is.

Ungomma

Local time
Today 11:41 PM
-->
Do you know how to remove dreams? I've had a year of nightmares. Aside from creating underlying issues, that is.
Sadly, no. Having no dreams means having no good sleep. As other posters righly state, we do dream every night.

You can try sleeping deeper. Try Melatonin (sold as supplement everywhere) - it is healthy, neuroprotective and makes you sleep like a baby.

Also, try an anxiolytic before sleep to get good dreams instead. There are many herbal ones.

Iuanes

Local time
-->
Code:

How about trying to understand what your'e nightmares are about? Most likely they're issues you need to deal with.

For me dream memory come's and goes in monthly spans. Sometimes I can clearly identify 3-4 dreams a night, and sometime just some fragments or a vague feeling.

Often, I will have forgotten a dream totally, but a slightest reminder in waking life will ignite a whole episode. "Oh yeah, I had that totally fucked up dream".

I find that sleeping in or waking up gradually will improve memory, as well simply making an effort in the morning to remember and review your dream(s) in your'e head. Being woken up suddenly does often kill the memory (which is why I think the main reason I snooze when the alarm goes off isn't because I'm tired but because I was in the middle of something).

Also, if I take a nap in the day, usually the dreams or alot more vivid, clearer and involved. This might have to do with REM vs deep sleep and correlations to the biological clock.

There were 2 times in my life where I don't think I dreamt at all. It was oddest thing. I put my head on the pillow and woke up a second later to find the night had passed.

BitRogue

Local time
-->
Sadly, no. Having no dreams means having no good sleep.

How so? I cannot recall having a single dream for the last 20 years. I seem to be perfectly OK.

And while Im quite happy accepting that we all dream every night, the net result to me is that when I wake up, I have no near term memory of having dreamt anything. I stopped dreaming regularly shortly after leaving school, and shortly after that I stopped dreaming altogether.

I can't say I miss it though, my waking imagination more than compensates for anything my subconscious ever dreamed up.

speiss

Local time
-->
Have you ever woken up, saw that you had more time to sleep, and then dreamt an alternate beginning to your day vividly, only to wake up and realize that you had yet to do anything? That happened to me today... I had to ride my bike to a babysitting job, and just yesterday my dad told me I had a flat tire, so I woke up, saw I had thirty minutes left to sleep, and dreamt that the tire was totally ruined and absurdly twisted in a way, and my dad was explaining to me how it got that way and how it wasn't his fault. Thirty minutes later I wake up and realize that nothing's actually happened yet, and if I don't get up now I'll be late..

Iuanes

Local time
-->
How so? I cannot recall having a single dream for the last 20 years. I seem to be perfectly OK.

And while Im quite happy accepting that we all dream every night, the net result to me is that when I wake up, I have no near term memory of having dreamt anything. I stopped dreaming regularly shortly after leaving school, and shortly after that I stopped dreaming altogether.

I can't say I miss it though, my waking imagination more than compensates for anything my subconscious ever dreamed up.

Just because you don't remember it, it doesn't mean you don't dream.

BitRogue

Local time
-->
Just because you don't remember it, it doesn't mean you don't dream.

Agreed, but then I did say I was happy accepting the fact.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Tomorrow 4:41 AM
-->
Last night I dreamt I was on a road trip.

I really wanted to be in time to catch a bus but kept getting side tracked. I was keeping in contact via cellphone with someone on the same route as I was to try and keep track of the location of the bus.

I eventually had to obtain a few items in a supermarket. Once I checked out and paid I suddenly had a massive craving for chocolate. In the supermarket parking lot outside there were little vans that sold drinks and snacks, but the chocolate bars cost about 12 or 15 dollars, so I said screw that.

I never knew if I caught my bus because I woke up after that. The first thing I did was go to the fridge to get some chocolate. Luckily we did have some.

Top Bottom