• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Do you feel the urge to eat meat?

How often do you crave meat/fish?

• I eat meat/fish, and I crave it regularly.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I eat meat/fish, but I feel no compulsion to get it.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I don't eat meat, but I crave it all the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't eat meat, but I crave it occasionally (smell?).

• I don't eat or crave meat.

• I don't eat or crave meat. And even forget about it unless confronted by stupid threads like these.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I eat meat/fish and I crave it ocassionally.

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

Teax

huh?
Local time
Today 8:35 PM
-->
Inspired by:
If it were a biological instinct, vegans would have it too all the time.
Who says they don't? How many have you asked?

By "occasionally" I mean, normally, you don't. Getting hungry when you smell meat doesn't count, it only counts if it makes you want to eat meat specifically.

Also, if you might still consume it when offered while being a guest, or if you tried it just to experiment, you can still click on not eating meat. This poll is not about the OCD of checking all your food for animal traces. ;)

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 4:05 AM
-->
I eat and crave meat, but I think it's more habit than innate drive. That feeling you get when you want a hot meal specifically? Well I associate that with meat. Vegetarian or vegan meals have sated it admirably at times, but I don't know how to cook good vegetarian, and vegetarian takeout is always a gamble, as often it's unsatisfying.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 7:35 PM
-->
Mmmmm steak

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
Where is the I eat meat and fish and crave it occasionally option?

I definitely get a craving for meat from time to time but I don't feel a need for it daily. I question whether I would feel any craving if I had never been exposed to meat.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I eat and crave meat, but I think it's more habit than innate drive. That feeling you get when you want a hot meal specifically? Well I associate that with meat. Vegetarian or vegan meals have sated it admirably at times, but I don't know how to cook good vegetarian, and vegetarian takeout is always a gamble, as often it's unsatisfying.

This... and yea, occasional cravings.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Tomorrow 3:35 AM
-->
I need to go out and eat sushi at least once every 2 weeksish. It's not really out of habit, it's just one of my favorite foods. o:

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 4:35 AM
-->
I don't eat that much meat. In the last 4 days I've had the equivalent of one piece of chorizo made in a stew, and have otherwise been vegetarian. I generally only feel the urge to eat meat when I want a specific kind of dish that contains meat, I don't think it's the meat itself but just the fact that I'm nostalgic about certain dishes that I grew up with.

I find that well cooked vegetarian meals are usually better tasting than most meat dishes anyway. My favourite foods are mostly vegetarian.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Sometimes when I find some nice offer I might get a fish, I believe eating fish is beneficial to one's health from time to time. I don't actively prepare other meats but I will eat them if someone treats me.

I noticed far less dental attention is required after not eating all the meat fibers and avoiding sugar or grains as well.

I also supplement fish-liver oil once every few days to get some animal fat this way.

Local time
-->
not really
i dont cope well with meat, never have...i can even feel myself gag sometimes, especially when eating chicken. chicken makes me very squeamish, i cant eat the stuff if its on bones or look like a body part
precious childhood memories: whenever mom made a dish that had meat in it, it took hours(no exaggeration) of slow torturous chewing and nausea to finish whats on my plate(that is.. if i was eating under mom's supervision, otherwise i would just chuck it in the bin when no one's looking). i didnt feel as nauseous when eating fish though, but i still had strong distaste for it as well.
ive gotten a lot more used to the taste of meat/fish over the years, but the stuff is still not as smooth on my stomach as other food.

i dont crave meat itself, like redbaron i just crave certain dishes with meat in them sometimes
also i love sushi

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
Today 11:35 AM
-->
Don't really eat meat, I've probably ate it handful of times over the last year or so and didn't like it. I would say I am opportunistic meat-eater. If it's front of me, I'm hungry and there's nothing else I'll eat it. This is not often.

I'll eat fish/seafood on occasion, like Blarraun I believe it to be healthy. You don't necessarily need it, but it's an enjoyable and good way to get certain nutrients(b12,oils) if you eat mostly plants. I try to minimize anything dairy.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
Yes, i am driven by the primal urge to consume other beings and imbibe their powers.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:35 PM
-->

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 11:35 AM
-->
If I eat veggies and fruits all day, even high protein and fat ones, I'll still crave some meat by the end of the day. But I go days without eating meat. Beans, avocados, and nuts help with the cravings. I might end up still hungry afterwards, though. When if I just ate a piece of lunch meat or a can of tuna, I'll feel the void filled.

I think B vitamin issues, might be a possible trigger for the cravings. Normally people would have healthy gut flora that produces the B's for them, but for some people, those strains are weak or nonexistent. Although, lack of the bacteria seems to make B absorption harder. Maybe doing a deer fecal transplant would help? The gut flora issue is why some people can't go vegan for more than a few years without experiencing B vitamin related problems.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 6:35 AM
-->
This thread has given me cravings for bacon. Best vegetable ever.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 4:35 AM
-->
No poll option for me.

I don't eat meat or fish. I don't crave meat, but I do crave fish. I did like the taste and texture of both when I ate them, so it's not a matter of disgust. I've been vegetarian for several years - it was easy because of said lack of interest in meat. Got the ol' food nostalgia thing though, so I cheat a bit when I go back to my hometown or have really good thai (as in, I don't mind if I have a bit of fish sauce or meat stock in my food), but I'm losing even the taste for that.

Fish though, I have craved regularly once every few weeks. To me it definitely feels biological and like I may have some kind of deficiency. The craving is strong, I can taste and feel it in my mouth, and it gives me a heady sense of satisfaction when I think about eating it. The craving feels the same as the occasions where I crave specific vegetables/vegetable groups, and feel much better after eating them. It's strong, obsessive, and the satisfaction afterwards feels like relief. Definitely a drive.

I'm doing ok not eating fish though.

Sometimes I psychologically crave meat dishes or particular meats (damn TSR reminding me of bacon) but it doesn't feel the same as the fish one, and it's not anywhere near as regular.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 2:35 AM
-->
Depends actually. If there's a decent amount of fresh fruits and vegetables then I'm totally fine with foregoing meat for the day.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Today 1:35 PM
-->
After a few days of not eating I usually dont want any certain food, just the feeling/reward.

Nebulous

Local time
Today 2:35 PM
-->
I eat fish, but I rarely ever 'crave' it. I don't eat meat.

MEDICaustik

Local time
-->
The more relevant question would be:

Do you crave RAW meat/fish?

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
I eat fish that I catch in the lakes and the ocean.
I eat meat from moose, reindeer, hare and others that may find themselves in front of my gun barrel. I also eat meat from my own cows and bulls.

I generally don't eat meat from other sources. I usually always pick vegetarian food when on travels to other places. Even locally I don't buy meat from the store. If on travels they put in sausage in a baguette. I will take it out and give it to the birds. And eat just the bread.

If I crave it? Not sure. Not at all on travels, more disgusted. At home I have 4 freezers full of meat and berries. So it doesn't need to come to craving. A small sense of lust is all that is required.

Pizza with inner fillet of reindeer gets prepared quit often. But I find margarita style pizza just as nice, if not better.

So I could do well on a vegetarian diet I think, but since I live close to the arctic circle. Good tasting vegetables is a luxury, and hard to get. I was in the countryside of Bulgaria a few years ago. The tomatoes was from another world.

MEDICaustik

Local time
-->
I eat fish that I catch in the lakes and the ocean.
I eat meat from moose, reindeer, hare and others that may find themselves in front of my gun barrel. I also eat meat from my own cows and bulls.

I generally don't eat meat from other sources. I usually always pick vegetarian food when on travels to other places. Even locally I don't buy meat from the store. If on travels they put in sausage in a baguette. I will take it out and give it to the birds. And eat just the bread.

If I crave it? Not sure. Not at all on travels, more disgusted. At home I have 4 freezers full of meat and berries. So it doesn't need to come to craving. A small sense of lust is all that is required.

Pizza with inner fillet of reindeer gets prepared quit often. But I find margarita style pizza just as nice, if not better.

So I could do well on a vegetarian diet I think, but since I live close to the arctic circle. Good tasting vegetables is a luxury, and hard to get. I was in the countryside of Bulgaria a few years ago. The tomatoes was from another world.

Other than being a full on vegan (which I am now), this is the only other real eating philosophy I can get behind.

I would only consider eating meat again if I participated in it's killing.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
The only cravings I've had is those of sugar. But they go away if I don't eat any for one-two weeks. I also used to be very drawn to fatty foods/ dressings. I guess I still would be, I just don't buy fat sauces and dressings anymore, so I just end up having a low fat diet naturally. Eating sugar and store bought dressings regularly make "normal" food taste bland, and since it's not that healthy I tend to not eat them.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:35 AM
-->
The more relevant question would be:

Do you crave RAW meat/fish?
Yup :D

Although that said I don't like to cause suffering, I'll catch a fish and stick a knife in its brain but I don't like "sport fishing" indeed I don't really see what's sporting about it.

The first time I went to japan for a couple of weeks I craved proper meat, raw fish is nice but its not the same, I can get by with mushrooms for a while (big field mushrooms cooked whole are ideal) but there's no real equivalent to a bloody steak.

[BIMG]http://i.imgur.com/suvYBUw.jpg[/BIMG]
The perfect steak is brown on the outside and bloody inside.

Top Bottom