• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Discouragement

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 10:58 AM
-->
Why?

Why jump on another INTP and beat him up and say his idea for a new invention or anything else is useless, like that story about the cold shower and the monkeys?

Why no enthusiasm, help, happiness that somebody's actually bothering to do something?

Of course, I'm guilty of this too.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 12:58 PM
-->
Because I am not an INTP?

I am an evil, carnivorous, sadistic, control freak, cold, callous, unwavering and meticulous INTJ who believes that everyone should conform to his world view.

^_^

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:58 PM
-->
Because I am not an INTP?

I am an evil, carnivorous, sadistic, control freak, cold, callous, unwavering and meticulous INTJ who believes that everyone should conform to his world view.

^_^

That's dumb, I hope you fail.

(Am I doing this thread right?)

NinjaSurfer

Banned
Local time
-->
Why?

Why jump on another INTP and beat him up and say his idea for a new invention or anything else is useless, like that story about the cold shower and the monkeys?

Why no enthusiasm, help, happiness that somebody's actually bothering to do something?

Of course, I'm guilty of this too.

The theory of relativity suggests that one shall feel more encouraged, relative to the other, who is made to feel discouraged. It is thus easier and more efficient to fulfill encouragement in oneself by making another in close proximity feel discouraged. Rather than building up one's own self esteem, it is easier to step on someone else's face.

The motivation in this case being another's success causing one to feel like a failure. So, in bittersweet irony, one must ensure another's failure through discouragement so that one does not feel like a failure himself.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:58 PM
-->
"The motivation in this case being another's success causing one to feel like a failure. So, in bittersweet irony, one must ensure another's failure through discouragement so that one does not feel like a failure himself."

This is a common approach among middle managers in businesses big enough to have middle management. :)

Vladimir

Local time
Yesterday 10:58 PM
-->
Yeah, even INTPs can be ignorant and narrow-minded.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 8:58 PM
-->
INTP's are geared toward deconstructive thinking (Ti) rather than constructive (Te). Ti works by taking ideas and tearing them apart - why they aren't correct, why they don't work, what are their logical flaws. Te - the epitome of scientific and organizational thinking - works by construction. Taking incomplete ideas and putting them together to create something new.

That's the theory. In practice I observe that INTP's are very prone to this behavior, both online and in person. One of my best friends is an INTP and he and I love to dissect ideas and discuss why they are flawed. We spend less time thinking about new theories that can be created from that. An inferior Fe leads to a lack of empathy on how the recipient feels about our analysis, which can often appear as an attack.

I'm guilty of this, and also guilty of getting pissed when it's turned on me.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 12:58 PM
-->
I think the two most common situations are:

a) Unwillingness (or inability) to display an adequate amount of empathy when dissecting an opposing idea.
b) Inattention to the need for empathy in the first place.

But I don't feel as though majority of people here are unreasonable in the way they refute ideas. There are a few users who come across as emotionally crippled with their use of childish retorts and insults, but I feel that the majority of users are capable of expressing their opinions in a reasonable fashion.

Despite a few bad eggs, I actually think this forum is one of the few where discussion leads to potentially interesting ideas.

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
-->
I haven't observed myself or any other of the few INTPs I've known intentionally go after someone else's ideas with malicious intent. People have a tendency to read me as cold and defensive because of my lack of emotional undertones. That's just part of using logic instead of emotion to explain the world. I believe that the best kind of conversation one can have is where you and the other person pick apart each other's ideas and then reconstruct them together into a cohesive whole that brings you both to a better understanding. Constructive criticism along with compliment on the things that deserve to be complimented is the recipe for growth. And isn't that the purpose of interacting with other people, to grow?

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 10:58 AM
-->
PhoenixRising said:
I haven't observed myself or any other of the few INTPs I've known intentionally go after someone else's ideas with malicious intent.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Then again I bet INTPs don't have any intention at all, most of the time.

Like, I don't know what's the point of this post at all. I see something, have a thought, and say it. Reflex randomness.

NinjaSurfer

Banned
Local time
-->
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Then again I bet INTPs don't have any intention at all, most of the time.

Like, I don't know what's the point of this post at all. I see something, have a thought, and say it. Reflex randomness.

I'm going to continue the trend of blurting out things for no reason at all too then...

regarding the phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I think that lets people off the hook too easily. It's a nice sounding metaphor but I think more often than not, it's denial at work, rather than "good intentions." It's a really great comeback, but I challenge its description of reality.

It seems more likely that the road to hell is littered with beer bottles and car wrecks. A "good intention" is more like drunk driving. The drunk driver always intends to get home safe without hurting anyone. However, I don't buy the "good intention." That's why they still get negligent homicide at the very least.

skip

Sock connoisseur
Local time
-->
INTP's are geared toward deconstructive thinking (Ti) rather than constructive (Te). Ti works by taking ideas and tearing them apart - why they aren't correct, why they don't work, what are their logical flaws. Te - the epitome of scientific and organizational thinking - works by construction. Taking incomplete ideas and putting them together to create something new.

I do both but the critical analysis definitely comes first. I agree with you that we excel at it. Many people just find it annoying so I've learned to curb talking about it but I never stop doing it internally.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
I do both but the critical analysis definitely comes first. I agree with you that we excel at it. Many people just find it annoying so I've learned to curb talking about it but I never stop doing it internally.

This is why INTJs (Te) generally do better at science and big engineering projects, which is mostly modeled after corporate organizational structure and which favors Te. In group settings (big science, corporate etc) INTP's do well when in the odd corners.

skip

Sock connoisseur
Local time
-->
INTJs have an easier time in general since they have that crucial J in common with most of the mainstream culture. Having strong N and P preferences really puts you at a disadvantage. It's an SJ world.

Top Bottom